Home
NCAA Football 12 News Post

EA's Ben Haumiller has posted an introductory blog today explaining that there will be a bunch of blogs this week about the changes made to Dynasty mode in NCAA Football 12. The full schedule can be found below.

Coaching Carousel: 5/24
Custom Playbooks: 5/25
Web Improvements: 5/25
Custom Conferences: 5/26
Dynasty Tuning: 5/27

Source - Dynasty Overview (EA)

Game: NCAA Football 12Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 104 - View All
NCAA Football 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 dochalladay32 @ 05/23/11 01:57 PM
It makes no sense that you couldn't change all bowl tie-ins. Just think about it. Every big conference has 8, 9+ tie-ins. But if you cut the conference down to 4 teams like we are allowed to, then what? Only that really sucks is now that I know I can use my setups from past years, but there will be 3x as many bowl games as there were back then. You can't delete conferences, but can you delete bowls

# 42 Dame @ 05/23/11 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
That sounds great to me. Nothing more frustrating that a Peyton Manning trying to run option reads.
they added this afterward so GTech can still recruit pocket passers

Quote:
One thing regarding that, if a very highly regarded player is very interested in a school, the school will still give him a look even if he doesn't necessarily fit into their scheme. However in an option team instance, they'll weigh the scrambler QB considerably higher than the pocket QB so they might go after a 4-star option QB instead of the 5-star pocket QB.

# 43 Hova57 @ 05/23/11 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dochalladay32
It makes no sense that you couldn't change all bowl tie-ins. Just think about it. Every big conference has 8, 9+ tie-ins. But if you cut the conference down to 4 teams like we are allowed to, then what? Only that really sucks is now that I know I can use my setups from past years, but there will be 3x as many bowl games as there were back then. You can't delete conferences, but can you delete bowls
Me personally I wouldn't change everybowl, but having just the bcs ranking to determine who would go to a bcs bowl game is a good option vs bcs tie ins

# 44 DorianDonP @ 05/23/11 02:02 PM
Quote:
It will randomly select a bowl eligible team to substitute in. That's how it has worked in the past when a conference didn't have enough eligible teams (sometimes it even put in a non-eligible team with a losing record).

Either way, it has tempered all excitement for custom conferences. I understand this is the first year and everything, but it kind of seems they had a lack of foresight when implementing some of these features.

I'm still purchasing. I need a NCAA with updated conferences. But that's pretty much the only thing I'm happy about right now. Can't even edit players in dynasty. Oh well. Shouldn't have got so excited in the first place, lol.

# 45 dan_457 @ 05/23/11 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dame
they added this afterward so GTech can still recruit pocket passers
That's not necessarily a bad thing though, so long as long as they're not indiscriminately recruiting players like last year.

# 46 DorianDonP @ 05/23/11 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
Me personally I wouldn't change everybowl, but having just the bcs ranking to determine who would go to a bcs bowl game is a good option vs bcs tie ins
The issue isn't that I, or someone else might want to change every bowl for the heck of it. It's that is necessary to change all bowl tie-ins if you plan to make some creative conferences (which is what EA are happy to tout as a feature). But if you go and make those conferences, the post-season will be screwed as a result.

If I make the mountain west a BCS conference, but pretty much blow up the Big 12. The Big 12 will still have the good bowl tie ins (like the Cotton Bowl and Alamo against good conference teams) while the Mountain West will have the crappy bowl tie ins (Armed Forces Bowl, New Mexico Bowl against mid-major teams)

# 47 jpdavis82 @ 05/23/11 02:08 PM
Looks like it's time to get started on those NCAA 13 wishlists

# 48 jpdavis82 @ 05/23/11 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP
The issue isn't that I, or someone else might want to change every bowl for the heck of it. It's that is necessary to change all bowl tie-ins if you plan to make some creative conferences (which is what EA are happy to tout as a feature). But if you go and make those conferences, the post-season will be screwed as a result.

If I make the mountain west a BCS conference, but pretty much blow up the Big 12. The Big 12 will still have the good bowl tie ins (like the Cotton Bowl and Alamo against good conference teams) while the Mountain West will have the crappy bowl tie ins (Armed Forces Bowl, New Mexico Bowl against mid-major teams)
But the top teams in the MWC would still be able to go to the BCS bowl games.

# 49 dochalladay32 @ 05/23/11 02:12 PM
I guess my way will work around it. What sucks is now is my plan was to put the Southwest into the Mountain West and the Big West was going to be the Sun Belt for one of mine. Luckily they only have 2 auto bids as of now so it makes sense. All the other conferences are small enough that it will open up a ton of at larges for all the independents I have. It'll be broken, but the old bowl system was broken any way because they only took the big names no matter how badly they did.

One thing I did read is that you can remove ALL tie-ins from BCS games. That might be cool to do. You could get a playoff setup of sorts because the game would probably take the best teams available. But yea, it is going to be broken period. Doubt it is something that can be patched, but maybe we'll get lucky, or maybe they have tested it out, and although it takes away from it, the premise still works.

# 50 jpdavis82 @ 05/23/11 02:15 PM
The NCAA's BCS system is broken anyway so I guess from that standpoint this is better than what we have in real life.

# 51 DorianDonP @ 05/23/11 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
But the top teams in the MWC conference would still be able to go to the BCS bowl games.
Not necessarily. Michigan State was 11-1 and didn't go to a BCS game last year. If I made the Mountain West a BCS conference, and they only got 1 team into the BCS, then I could have a 10-2 or 11-1 team playing in the Armed Forces bowl against a conference USA number 3 team.

Part of the fun of conferences is the conference matchups in the bowl season. Again, if I moved Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Nebraska to the Moutain West (for example) and Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska all won 10 games. One of those teams would get to a BCS game, but the other teams would be playing in crap bowl games against crappy teams instead of playing in new years bowl games against other good teams from good conferences.

And if I shrunk the Big 12 down to four teams. A 7-5 Kansas team (which might be the Big 12's second best team in this scenario) would be playing in a New Years Bowl game like the Cotton Bowl against a top rated SEC team.

# 52 dochalladay32 @ 05/23/11 02:22 PM
Yea, the only thing that sucks is if you toy with the BCS conferences or try to put an old power conference like the SWC into a non-BCS, which is what I'm doing. You can get the winner into the BCS, but your teams past that are going to be in weak bowls. I can't see a top 3 of Arkansas, Texas, and TCU going to some weak bowls.

# 53 jpdavis82 @ 05/23/11 02:22 PM
Quote:
Not necessarily. Michigan State was 11-1 and didn't go to a BCS game last year. If I made the Mountain West a BCS conference, and they only got 1 team into the BCS, then I could have a 10-2 or 11-1 team playing in the Armed Forces bowl against a conference USA number 3 team.

Part of the fun of conferences is the conference matchups in the bowl season. Again, if I moved Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Nebraska to the Moutain West (for example) and Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska all won 10 games. One of those teams would get to a BCS game, but the other teams would be playing in crap bowl games against crappy teams instead of playing in new years bowl games against other good teams from good conferences.

And if I shrunk the Big 12 down to four teams. A 7-5 Kansas team (which might be the Big 12's second best team in this scenario) would be playing in a New Years Bowl game like the Cotton Bowl against a top rated SEC team.
Yeah I see what you're saying hopefully they took that into consideration and will look more at overall record than conference name when you relocate teams.

# 54 DorianDonP @ 05/23/11 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
The NCAA's BCS system is broken anyway so I guess from that standpoint this is better than what we have in real life.
lol no it's not. I mean, you can argue that the system in place now is not fair and that's valid. But it's not broken as in bad conferences playing in new years bowl games.

In NCAA 12, if you change conferences, the bowl season won't take into account those changes. Blowing up the Big 12, for example, won't have any effect on the Big 12 having great bowl games. That's broken, not because of fair issues, but non-nonsensical ones.

Moral of the story is to be careful before you edit the conferences so that your post-season isn't completely broken. Also, dwindling a current BCS conference down to four teams will break your bowl season since you cant change the bowl tie-ins.

Back to the drawing board with my custom conference worksheet I have been working on

# 55 DorianDonP @ 05/23/11 02:24 PM
Quote:
Yea, the only thing that sucks is if you toy with the BCS conferences or try to put an old power conference like the SWC into a non-BCS, which is what I'm doing. You can get the winner into the BCS, but your teams past that are going to be in weak bowls. I can't see a top 3 of Arkansas, Texas, and TCU going to some weak bowls.
Agreed.....

# 56 RamblinWreck21 @ 05/23/11 02:25 PM
Quote:

This is a good point, but can't you change the name of conferences? If so, put your teams that you want in your Super Mountain West into the Big 12 and re-name the Big 12 "Mountain West".

# 57 Da Hype Iz Real @ 05/23/11 02:28 PM
With coaches recruiting to their schemes and the example of a team recruiting a 4 Star Option QB over a 5 star Pocket passer. Maybe in those other pages on the create a coach screen the O and D pages are for playbooks , philosophies , and player style preferences so we can get even more diversity in teams in the dynasty. 2 Coaches with prostyle offenses, one at 50/50 pass-run with Balanced QBs preferred and the other at 40/60 pass-run with Pocket Passer QB preferred would make recruiting more interesting too.

# 58 DorianDonP @ 05/23/11 02:29 PM
You can only change the name of the divisions.

# 59 dochalladay32 @ 05/23/11 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinWreck21
This is a good point, but can't you change the name of conferences? If so, put your teams that you want in your Super Mountain West into the Big 12 and re-name the Big 12 "Mountain West".
Conference names stay the same because of trademarks probably. I'll give mine a try because even going back 40 years, it's not THAT different. Just more teams to a conference now. Slimming down a conference will let those independents in if it works well, but it will still seem broken. Turning off most BCS tie-ins will help a bit so maybe you can get some better teams in by at large, but you will probably still get some twisted results.

And that's another thing. I saw on the video where you can change the name of the divisions, but I wish they would go to a smaller conference so I know for sure if we can eliminate divisions. I don't want to recreate the Big 8 only to have to have 2 4-team divisions.

# 60 RamblinWreck21 @ 05/23/11 02:33 PM
Quote:
You can only change the name of the divisions.
Oh, well that is pretty lame. SO I guess my 16 team Big 12 won't be the Big 16

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.