Home
NCAA Football 12 News Post

Kotaku's Owen Good chimes in with some of his thoughts surrounding the latest micro-transactions to make their way into NCAA Football 12.

Quote:
There may not be any optimal time to tell gamers about all the microtransactions and DLC for which they can expect to pay extra in an upcoming release. But the official reveal of a game's main features -- the stuff folks expect to come with the $59.99 retail price -- would probably be the least optimal.

Game: NCAA Football 12Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 104 - View All
NCAA Football 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 401 poopoop @ 06/01/11 12:50 AM
All I'm saying is I'm not giving EA a pass when they have a history of doing it (NASCAR,NCAAFB,ESPN,AFL,NFL) and they, according to some, even lobbied for the NFL deal. Just like they also, according to some, tried to get an exclusive deal with the NBA but their bid got rejected.

Am I mad at the NFL too, of course.

# 402 bkrich83 @ 06/01/11 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
How can you criticize the league or company for making a deal that benefits them equally.

As bkrich83 mentioned, exclusive deals don't benefit consumers at all but I don't see how you can fault a business for trying to maximize profit. I'm pretty sure that is the point of any business after all.

Sorry but this isn't just a video game trend...
Criticizing EA at all costs has become very vogue in video game circles. This one makes them an extremely easy target no matter what the logic is.

For example people keep talking about the ESPN deal. However 2k's deal with ESPN expired and 2k had no intention of renewing. Yet it's EA's fault that they signed with ESPN despite the fact that ESPN had no other suitors out there? Makes total sense right?

# 403 kehlis @ 06/01/11 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
All I'm saying is I'm not giving EA a pass when they have a history of doing it (NASCAR,NCAAFB,ESPN,AFL,NFL) and they, according to some, even lobbied for the NFL deal. Just like they also, according to some, tried to get an exclusive deal with the NBA but their bid got rejected.

Am I mad at the NFL too, of course.
I'm not really asking you to give EA a pass.

I'm asking you that if you were making decisions for EA and you were approached with the opportunity (or you approached them, however it happened) to create a deal that maximized your profit, would you really not take it?

Again, no one here is saying exclusive deals benefits us, but I don't understand how you can really hold a grudge with them doing so especially since we know if it wasn't them, it would be someone else...

# 404 poopoop @ 06/01/11 01:48 AM
Quote:
I'm not really asking you to give EA a pass.

I'm asking you that if you were making decisions for EA and you were approached with the opportunity (or you approached them, however it happened) to create a deal that maximized your profit, would you really not take it?

Again, no one here is saying exclusive deals benefits us, but I don't understand how you can really hold a grudge with them doing so especially since we know if it wasn't them, it would be someone else...
From a business standpoint obviously it's a good thing for them to maximize their profits. To be honest EA is pretty gully when it comes to the business side of things. I'm not looking at it from a is it good business or not perspective though. I'm looking at it from what effect does it have on the gamer. Selfish? Maybe, but that's what I'm concerned with. Whats good for them isn't necessarily whats good for me. I think they go way too far worrying about what's good for them at times to the point that it becomes bad for me.

I don't even have a grudge against EA, just some of the things they do. The last DLC I bought was from a EA published game (not a sports game though). They do some good things some bad things. This is one of the bad things they do.

# 405 kbmnm247 @ 06/01/11 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
First of all there have been competing products on the consoles since the exclusive agreements were signed:

Backbreaker
Black College Football Experience
Backyard Football
Family Fun Football
All Pro Football 2K8
Blitz II the League

Seems like all of those are football games to me. Sure they don't have the NFL or NCAA license but they are footballI ask for an NFL or NCAA game I can get and you give me an arcade game, and 2 family games, and none of them NFL or NCAA. And most of them are 2+ years old. That's like me saying what adventure game can I buy this year and you telling me Super Mario. Good one.. And as I've stated before, if you don't like the fact that other companies don't have the right to make an NFL game or an NCAA game then TAKE IT UP WITH THE SPORTS. Yes, I suppose it is the NFL's fault they accepted a $500 million deal when they would have only gotten maybe half of that in the same time frame. They are not in the game selling business nor do they care about the gaming industry. They were approached with a large sum of money to do absolutely nothing, can't fault them really. I just think it's kind of slimy and lazy for EA to try this tactic, which it's clear they did.

There is no merit at all here to criticize EA for DLC due to the exclusive agreement. This would be occurring just the same as it would if we had ESPN 2K11 coming this fall. Why you say? That's not true you say? If there was competition EA would not be doing it you say? Uh yeah they would because there's no one out there in their right mind who is going to say "Wow, I was going to buy NCAA 12 by EA over ESPN2K12 College football but then I don't like the fact that you have to pay $2.99 to advance the dynasty so now I'm going to buy ESPN's game instead." They'd be not buying it because ESPN2k12 would just be a flat out better game, which would mean EA would have to put out a feature like this for free in order to take a share of the market. If it wasn't a better game then that means that competition worked and EA put their all into their football game efforts and made huge strides which would be great for me and heck I might be willing to pay $3 extra for a feature like this. Anyway, I guess I just can't see how you can say for sure that the same thing would happen when you are shooting me down for saying that they wouldn't charge. It's the "same" opinion just opposite ends of the spectrum except mine makes a little more sense because competition between vendors is good for the customer.

Don't believe that? Think that argument is bogus? Well how about this, if there was a 2K NFL/NCAA game you can almost bet on the fact that there'd be some sort of DLC made by that company as well. The bottom line here though is the DLC is, as has been stated, a minor feature that is not going to influence anyone here as to be a game changer in the product they are buying in regards to competition vs. no-competition. Why can I almost bet on that fact? NBA2k11 is probably the most feature robust and best sim sports game out there this year. Guess how much DLC they charge you for? None. And they have more modes in their game this year than EA has ever put in their games. Jordan Mode is great, so is My Player, as well as every jersey practically ever worn by teams and awesome commentary, presentation, and franchise modes, etc. To say that they would charge when they already don't is funny.

EA's football games compete against ALL sports games. Some people can only afford a couple of sports games a year and often they will choose between Madden or NBA...or NCAA football vs. MLB the show. This whole argument of apples vs. apples is nonsense...if you're hungry and you're at the market you're looking at all the various fruits, they are all competing for your money.
So even if one throws out the entire argument of EA has competition from other football products, even without them being licensed, it's pretty ridiculous to say that they have no competition considering the quantity and quality of sports (and even non-sports) games that sit on the shelves beside Madden and NCAA now every year. People want to play with the players and teams and stadiums and uniforms they see on Saturday/Sunday. If the licenses didn't matter as you are trying to imply, EA wouldn't have spend half of a billion dollars on them. I'm not going to waste any more words on that part of your argument.
To be fair most of the points you are trying to make can be backed up by things that have already happened.

Also, NBA2K crapped all over NBA Live/Elite and has no DLC and tons more modes, options, and in depth sports material than Madden/NCAA ever has. Heck, NFL2k5 has more than Madden/NCAA ever has. To say they'd be charging for DLC when they never have and are still making chart-topping games is laughable.

# 406 poopoop @ 06/01/11 11:06 AM
Dude said Backyard Football...

hold up...backyard football....

...backyard football. LOL wow.

Spoiler

and family fun football..c'mon

# 407 CDazzle91 @ 06/01/11 02:47 PM
I understand why they want to charge for everything, I mean they make more money that way, you can't blame them. On the flip side, though I am pretty upset about it because it's just bad PR. I mean the fact that they say look at all this new stuff we PUT IN the game. When it's really not in the game, but DLC. That would be like going to a restaurant and having the restaurant ask you what dressing you want on your salad, then after you've eaten you get this extra charge for dressing. It's just going to make people angry. Granted, I'll still play the game, but it's frustrating.

# 408 roadman @ 06/01/11 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDazzle91
I understand why they want to charge for everything, I mean they make more money that way, you can't blame them. On the flip side, though I am pretty upset about it because it's just bad PR. I mean the fact that they say look at all this new stuff we PUT IN the game. When it's really not in the game, but DLC. That would be like going to a restaurant and having the restaurant ask you what dressing you want on your salad, then after you've eaten you get this extra charge for dressing. It's just going to make people angry. Granted, I'll still play the game, but it's frustrating.
Very similar to my experience with McDonalds about 6 months ago. Been ordering grilled chicken sandwiches with extra barbecue sauce every so often. One day, ordered the extra sauce, 39 cents please. I was very reluctant, but because the sauce was already thrown at me, I paid for it. Never have ordered the extra sauce again. I was angry initially because I didn't know prior to ordering the extra sauce about the extra charge.

At least there is 6 week advance warning on this extra feature.

# 409 NDAlum @ 06/01/11 08:37 PM
Just like when the Double cheeseburger turned into the McDouble and lost a piece of cheese!

lame!

# 410 kbmnm247 @ 06/02/11 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson16NCSU
but how is super-simming from a laptop part of a real NCAA program?
The same way recruiting and viewing your schedule and stats or whatever from your laptop is a real part of an NCAA program. Don't be a stickler you know what he means.

# 411 NDFan1029 @ 06/03/11 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Why should it be free?
Probably because you're already paying 60 bucks for the game, plus another 5 if you bothered to pre-order it as well.

# 412 kehlis @ 06/03/11 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan1029
Probably because you're already paying 60 bucks for the game, plus another 5 if you bothered to pre-order it as well.
If you are paying an extra $5 dollars to preorder you are doing it wrong.

# 413 NDFan1029 @ 06/03/11 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
this stuff doesnt bother me because i'm not paying any extra money since i don't use those features. But its like any other thing, add ons cost more money. if you buy a car and want the basic version it costs "x" but if you want the deluxe version with the satellite radio, gps, nicer sound system, heated seats it costs "x" + "y". If you buy a cell phone and get the basic plan it costs you one thing but once you add on internet, text messaging, pictures, games, etc. it costs you extra.

They aren't charging any more for the game. The game comes with everything you need. Its the extra stuff like simming from your PC (which is not something standard and therefore shouldn't necessarily come with the game) or controlling multiple online dynastys or whatever, those things are what costs extra.

When it comes to video games you see so many people on these boards act like they are entitled to everything and anything they want. That companies are required to include every uniform ever worn and design the game as we see fit. The truth is they make a product and you can choose whether to buy it or not, nobody is forcing you to. They do however try to meet the demands of the consumers to make them happier but that doesnt mean we are entitled to these things.
But cars have always been like that; they only started doing it in video games a few years ago. And I could understand doing it for some other games, but the changes in most sports game are not nearly as substantial from year to year.

# 414 NDFan1029 @ 06/03/11 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevj349
I wish I didn't have to pay anything for this stuff, but why do people resort to bashing the makers of the game? NHL is pretty damn amazing. You mean to tell me that EA does their best for NHL but not the other games? I just don't know where the idea comes from that EA doesn't care. People on these forums fail to understand that people just like them are the ones making the games.
The developers for the NHL game are based in Canada. You could argue that they do put more work into it simply because Canadians are monster hockey fans. I'm not sure if you can say the same for the NCAA developers for college football.

# 415 NDFan1029 @ 06/03/11 11:32 PM
To set the record straight, I never play any online modes, so I'm not upset about having to pay for them so maybe some of my previous posts about paying $60 for the game + extras were not justified. However, I will be upset if the Pro Combats are made into DLC because those are things that should already be included in the game itself. At least with the paying for Dynasty on PC, there is a justification because of the extra server space and the fact that it is something you wouldn't normally expect to be included in a game made for Xbox or PS3, but the Pro Combats should already be in there. When you buy a news ports game, you expect the new uniforms to be in the game already. Why should we have to pay early, pre-order, etc. to get those? If the players are using them in real games this upcoming season, that shouldn't qualify as an extra expense.

# 416 NDFan1029 @ 06/03/11 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
Dude said Backyard Football...

hold up...backyard football....

...backyard football. LOL wow.

Spoiler

and family fun football..c'mon

LOL!!! I was thinking the same thing. Yeah, Family Fun Football is a real viable alternative to an actual college football simulation. I can't believe he had the audacity to say those were the "alternative" choices.

# 417 blklightning @ 06/03/11 11:54 PM
playing these games online is a lag fest, so i'll never try online anything with this game. so therefore, these fees don't matter to me. but it's typical of ea to charge for stuff that should probably be free. then again, if these are computer applications, maybe not. it's kind of weird, though -- ea is so generous with the battlefield games, but so greedy with their sports titles. i don't understand the reason for the disconnect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
Price of NCAA '07? $60
Price of NCAA '12? $60
i am missing your point.

# 418 bkrich83 @ 06/04/11 12:06 AM
Quote:
If you are paying an extra $5 dollars to preorder you are doing it wrong.
No kidding lol. If this is the case then paying extra for extra game features are the least of your worries.

# 419 bkrich83 @ 06/04/11 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan1029
The developers for the NHL game are based in Canada. You could argue that they do put more work into it simply because Canadians are monster hockey fans. I'm not sure if you can say the same for the NCAA developers for college football.
What??

# 420 bkrich83 @ 06/04/11 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning

i am missing your point.
his point is pretty clear is it not?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.