Home
NCAA Football 12 News Post

Kotaku's Owen Good chimes in with some of his thoughts surrounding the latest micro-transactions to make their way into NCAA Football 12.

Quote:
There may not be any optimal time to tell gamers about all the microtransactions and DLC for which they can expect to pay extra in an upcoming release. But the official reveal of a game's main features -- the stuff folks expect to come with the $59.99 retail price -- would probably be the least optimal.

Game: NCAA Football 12Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 104 - View All
NCAA Football 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Bullet Sponge @ 05/26/11 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
People love to whine. Every company looks to maximize profits. That is Capitalism which many like to tout....until it is actually at work.
Uh no. Refusing to buy a product or complaining about it IS part of capitalism. Nobody is saying they can't charge $1,000 for the game if they want. That's their right, but it's also our right as consumers to refuse to buy it AND whine about it if we want. That's all part of capitalism too. You know what's against the spirit of capitalism though? One company being the only one with the rights to make a college football game.

# 42 roadman @ 05/26/11 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
I understand this is how businesses operate. I graduated with a Media degree and rubbed elbows with the marketing majors every day. But in this case, we're not talking about a written advertisement where people simply didn't read the fine print. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see any fine print explaining the additional charges on the promotional video when they talked about the super sim tools. There was no way for us to know when they were talking about this that it would require an extra charge. They talked about it as though it was included in the game, and then quietly released information about the additional charge at a later date. Again, not so much the cost, as it is these deceptive tactics that is such a slap in the face.
As I said in the Madden thread, interesting there is a bit of outrage in the video game industry , but no noises in the fast food industry.

I've always ordered a grilled chicken sammy at McDonalds with extra barbecue sauce free of charge. One day I order the extra sauce, and they said .37 cents please. I didn't pay for it, because I didn't need it anymore. Not the money there, either. I wasn't given a link to a video or consumer notification.

I no longer add the extra sauce because "I don't need it."

# 43 blkrptnt819 @ 05/26/11 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
People love to whine. Every company looks to maximize profits. That is Capitalism which many like to tout....until it is actually at work.

If you think the cost of the game plus the add-ons that you "need" aren't worth it, then don't buy it. If enough people feel the same, then EA will have to change. Economics at work. But you aren't as entitled as you think you are, and EA doesn't owe you Jack.
They owe us to allow us full editing of players but I agree with eveything else u've said.

# 44 NDAlum @ 05/26/11 02:14 PM
roadman,

I 100% agree with your statement. Inflation is real and the price of these games has been constant for several years. I'm very surprised the games are at least $65 nowadays.

# 45 rollins8 @ 05/26/11 02:23 PM
A lot of good points in here and you can really see the entitlement nature coming out. Sure, I don't like the fact that I have to spend extra money for extra features (DLC)...but who does? Wouldn't it be awesome if you could buy a fully loaded Lexus for the price of a Toyota? Heck yeah, but unfortunately that's not how business in the private sector works. I prefer to have the OPTION to buy additional features if I think they're worth it. As long as it stays away from the "meat and potatoes" of the game I think it will be fine.

# 46 xITSxDAWKINSx @ 05/26/11 02:24 PM
it is only $3 but until ea puts there all in, madden, ncaa fightnight ect. $59 is all they gonna get from me

# 47 kevj349 @ 05/26/11 02:31 PM
Some people here would never last in a logic class. Cali State University has a nice explanation of a slippery slope fallacy here.

http://www.csun.edu/~dgw61315/fallac...Slippery slope

EA charges for a feature that not nearly everyone will use, and took a good undertaking, along with added stress on servers.

# 48 justblaze09 @ 05/26/11 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
this stuff doesnt bother me because i'm not paying any extra money since i don't use those features. But its like any other thing, add ons cost more money. if you buy a car and want the basic version it costs "x" but if you want the deluxe version with the satellite radio, gps, nicer sound system, heated seats it costs "x" + "y". If you buy a cell phone and get the basic plan it costs you one thing but once you add on internet, text messaging, pictures, games, etc. it costs you extra.

They aren't charging any more for the game. The game comes with everything you need. Its the extra stuff like simming from your PC (which is not something standard and therefore shouldn't necessarily come with the game) or controlling multiple online dynastys or whatever, those things are what costs extra.

When it comes to video games you see so many people on these boards act like they are entitled to everything and anything they want. That companies are required to include every uniform ever worn and design the game as we see fit. The truth is they make a product and you can choose whether to buy it or not, nobody is forcing you to. They do however try to meet the demands of the consumers to make them happier but that doesnt mean we are entitled to these things.
This is a beautiful post. This is basically what I wanted to say, but says it better than I could.

# 49 coogrfan @ 05/26/11 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
I understand this is how businesses operate. I graduated with a Media degree and rubbed elbows with the marketing majors every day. But in this case, we're not talking about a written advertisement where people simply didn't read the fine print. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see any fine print explaining the additional charges on the promotional video when they talked about the super sim tools. There was no way for us to know when they were talking about this that it would require an extra charge. They talked about it as though it was included in the game, and then quietly released information about the additional charge at a later date. Again, not so much the cost, as it is these deceptive tactics that is such a slap in the face.

The game doesn't ship for another six weeks. That seems like plenty of advance notice to me.

# 50 Cardot @ 05/26/11 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Sponge
Uh no. Refusing to buy a product or complaining about it IS part of capitalism. Nobody is saying they can't charge $1,000 for the game if they want. That's their right, but it's also our right as consumers to refuse to buy it AND whine about it if we want. That's all part of capitalism too.
Very true. But if someone complains about the cost on a message board, and then goes out and buys the product anyways, they are really just saying "This value is still worth it to me, but I would rather it cost less". And that is a useless comment as we would all rather spend less on everything we buy.

# 51 wallofhate @ 05/26/11 03:06 PM
I laugh because whenever someone doesn't agree with a post they have to respond with little insults sprinkled in. lets be honest nobody is "whining" or "crying" it's just reaction to a company who struggle to satisfy the masses yet still feel the need to draw more blood from the stone! as far as the bmw example people dont complain about bmw because most people love the car and have dreamed about acquiring one. im pretty sure if you were buying a used lesser acclaimed car your complaints would be more pronounced. i'm shocked giving the financial climate and their reputation EA wouldn't choose to give you more for your buck like alot of other companies do. I guess most companies can't erase thier compitition so those measures have to be taken to stay competitive.

# 52 kevj349 @ 05/26/11 03:20 PM
I feel like these is actually a ton of competition. If you aren't happy with the game then go out and buy something else. Sure there aren't other NCAA football games but why not buy another genre? It is kinda like music, this may be the only one of this style, but you may like another style more. There is a ton of competition against video games in general. Complain your heart out and just play Mass Effect or Skyrim when it comes out untill they do what you want

# 53 kevj349 @ 05/26/11 03:23 PM
Which brings me to another question, if this is such a problem is COD releasing map packs bad? They could have just waited a little to release the game and add them. What determines what goes into the original $60? Oblivion had like a whole expansion pack you could buy.

If EA released the game then released these features a month or so later would you be upset that you had to buy them? I know I am rambling ha

# 54 Jakeness23 @ 05/26/11 03:23 PM
Only thing I play online is COD so I won't be worrying about this...

# 55 Noles4ever @ 05/26/11 03:31 PM
I have no problem it's a small fee that will improve the game mode.

# 56 jeremym480 @ 05/26/11 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikolec
What has gaming come to? Remember the day when you paid the full price for a game and you got all the features it came with?

I'm not so upset with EA for this specific, but the entire gaming industry. We have all these DLC for extra costs and exclusives if you pre-order with "insert retailer here". Why can't I just pay the $59.99 plus tax and get everything the game includes. Yes that $59.99 should include pro-combat uniforms (even if I don't pre-order with GameStop) and it should include all features of the game. I'm fed up with this and worry about the future of gaming. Little charges like these lead to more and more exclusives and DLC. Pretty soon we are going to have a bare bones game that you have to pay for everything little thing.
I also remember a time when game looked like this (insert any picture of a Atari or NES game here). When development teams consisted of five people or less and the costs of making games were considerably less that what it is today.

The bottom line the gaming world has changed astronomically in the last 20 years. In the 80s and 90s Developers didn't have to worry about maintaing their servers, paying their staff for working on patches, etc. Once a game was done it was done. So let's not compare apples to oranges here.

Like has been said before, EA is a business and they're in business to make money. No other NCAA game (before last year) has the Online Dynasty Wire feature yet, they all cost the same as NCAA with it. I'm sure that keeping the servers maintained costs a considerable amount of man-hours as well as money that they otherwise wouldn't have to spend. So with that extra expense in mind, it wouldn't make any business sense for them to eat that cost. Therefore, to increase profit margins they came up with a small fee which is only charged to customers who use it. It makes perfect business sense to me. Am I happy to pay it? No. But, I understand it and this service that is of value to me so, I'll gladly pay the small fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardon
After this news, i think i may have to go look at Madden. I might have to reconsider the purchase.

One cost 45,000 dollars, and the other costs 60. Awful comparison.
So your going to boycott one EA game to get another... Way to hold your ground there.

Also, the car comparison isn't as far fetched as you're making it out to be. The same basic principles apply. Perhaps you will like this one better since the price seems to be your issue with that analogy--- If I go to the local frozen yogurt shop I can get a basic frozen yogurt for around three bucks. Then I decide that I don't want the basic yogurt. I want to add toppings. Some toppings are free like chocolate syrup, whip cream, caramel, etc. However, if I want to add specialty toppings like strawberries, bananas, M&Ms, etc. I have to pay extra. Do I need the extra toppings to enjoy the yogurt? no... but, I want those toppings!

# 57 RustyBlue @ 05/26/11 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevj349
Which brings me to another question, if this is such a problem is COD releasing map packs bad? They could have just waited a little to release the game and add them. What determines what goes into the original $60? Oblivion had like a whole expansion pack you could buy.

If EA released the game then released these features a month or so later would you be upset that you had to buy them? I know I am rambling ha
Call of Duty map packs are also overpriced IMO. And plus most of the time DLC is something that can't fit on the disc and is an add-on to the game (Meaning around 400mb-800mb of space). The features in NCAA and Madden area already on the game but are more like unlocked than added on (180kb). Don't get me wrong you can't blame them for trying to squeeze the extra cash out of the consumer, but again, make it an extra feature and not something that is already on the game.

And to be honest I'm not all that mad about this because 1) I probably won't use it and 2) It might actually cost them a little more to add the feature. What gets me is what they did last year for NCAA and Madden (which I hope they don't do this year) when they make you pay for features like advanced scouting and convincing players to stay. These are things that IMO should already be a part of the game.

# 58 kevj349 @ 05/26/11 03:56 PM
This is an ad on to the game, in fact it is on the computer, not even possible to be in the game.

# 59 RustyBlue @ 05/26/11 04:05 PM
You must not have read my whole reply

# 60 ODogg @ 05/26/11 04:06 PM
I'm in favor of this because the alternative is the games overall price goes up to $64.99. The features being sold separately do not affect the actual game and are just what they say, bonus features. I'll be first in line to buy the pack too as it will be put to good use by my OD.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.