Home
NCAA Football 12 News Post

Jordan Peterson, Designer at EA Tiburon, released a blog detailing the tuning of Dynasty Mode in NCAA Football 12.

Hi NCAA Football fans, NCAA Football 12 designer Jordan Peterson here once again, this time to discuss some of the other improvements that have been made to Dynasty mode this year. This blog is going to focus on some of the tuning that was done this year to improve your overall Dynasty experience as well as answer some of the questions that have come up after the other Dynasty blogs were released this week. As you are about to see, based on your feedback we've made a lot of great improvements to the Dynasty mode experience in NCAA Football 12. Let's get on to the updates.

Sway Pitch

One complaint we heard last year was that Sway Pitch felt like too much risk without enough reward and because of this, a lot of fans avoided using Sway Pitch all together which is something I never want to hear as a developer. This year, Sway Pitch has been tuned to provide more of a bonus when you are successful, and less of a penalty when you fail. Additionally, we've adjusted the percent chance that a Sway will be successful to help make Sway Pitch a more effective recruiting tactic, I believe you will now find the Sway Pitch option to have a greater impact during recruiting.

CPU Scholarship Offers

In addition to Sway Pitch, another significant improvement to recruiting is how efficiently the CPU will offer scholarships. Previously, the CPU would occasionally have a recruit that, even though he was ranked first on their board they would not offer a scholarship in order to close the deal and sign the prospect. The CPU will now offer scholarships more intelligently, and as a result, causes some much closer recruiting battles with the CPU against other CPU controlled teams and the user.

CPU Recruiting Based on Play Style

We have heard feedback regarding CPU not recruiting based on their play style, so this was one of our earliest adjustments for NCAA Football 12. Previously, if you were running an option offense, the CPU would simply take the best quarterback that was available, or possibly one just interested in the school. Now, you will find that the CPU will focus upon players that fit their particular play style. That means scrambling QBs will be targeted by option teams, while air raid teams will look for pocket passing quarterbacks.

Another community concern that we addressed for NCAA Football 12 is the balancing of the top 150 recruits. There was some discussion that there were not enough highly rated defensive prospects appearing in the ESPNU Top 150. Based on that feedback we have increased each defensive position's chance of having a prospect worthy enough of being considered one of the top 150 prospects in the recruiting class.

Sim Running Stats

The sim stats for the running backs, backup running backs and quarterbacks were also tuned. Meaning when you sim in Dynasty, the backup HB will get more touches and, in turn, more rushing yards. Quarterback sim stats were adjusted to be more in line with actual NCAA results. The added benefit of tuning these stats is that it facilitated tuning Heisman. Throughout Dynasty you should now see a much better balance of several different position types winning the Heisman.

Incoming Prospect Ratings

Finally, we've updated the incoming ratings for all generated prospects with a focus on ensuring they are consistent with the recruits on the default roster. Now you won't notice a drop off in overall player talent in future years of the Dynasty when the players on the default roster have graduated. I think you will find that some positions, in particular Kickers and Punters, will be far more accurate this year.

Answers to Previous Blog Questions

Earlier this week, we released the blog for Coach Carousel and two Quick Clip videos. I would like to take this opportunity to address some additional questions that I've seen on the forums.

Coach Carousel – Who was that mystery man?

In part 2 of the Quick Clips video, NC State hired their Offensive Coordinator, but he was not one of the top 3 candidates. Good catch! This is an example of the bonus that is provided to hiring within the current school. The Offensive Coordinator was not initially one of NC State's top candidates, but when it came time to hire a coach they decided to stay in-house. Also, you may have noticed that as an A rated coach, he had a lower rating than some of the other Offensive Coordinators that were available.

Coaching Carousel – How fast can you climb the ladder?

Can you become a Head Coach at a 6 star school from a 1 star Offensive/Defensive Coordinator within 2-4 seasons? Yes, it is possible. However, it will require some exceptional skill on the player's part to pass most, if not all, of their goals and some luck on the carousel. The right jobs need to open up at the right time to progress that quickly. This is certainly possible, but by no means easy to do.

Coaching Carousel – Prestige and Progression

How much does Coach Prestige impact progression? Coach Prestige is now a significant factor in the progression formula. It can also be tuned via Live Tuning Packs, so if at some point we feel it needs to play more or less of a part of progression, we can adjust it accordingly. However, we have kept the importance of Coach Prestige in mind when tuning and are very comfortable with its current impact upon progression.

Coaching Carousel – Is Coach Prestige your only rating?

As mentioned above, there have been a lot of questions on coach ratings and how the addition of the Coach Carousel will alter the course of a Dynasty in future years. We've talked a lot about how play styles move with the coach from one school to another and the impact that Coach Prestige has on the game, but I also wanted to point out that the Coach Loyalty rating is dynamic as well. If you are the type of coach that looks to hop from job to job every year, expect to have some struggles on the recruiting trail when a prospect wants to know if you will be there all four years to coach him. At the same time, there will be 119 other coaches out there just waiting to use that pitch against you when they get the chance.

Coaching Carousel – Default coach ratings

There seem to be quite a few A+ coaches? Keep in mind that default Coach Ratings can be edited, customized, and shared via Roster Share. If you want more of a challenge in your Dynasty, dropping their initial ratings will cause them to progress slower. Having said that, during the Carousel, schools will always look at A+ rated coaches that are out of a job.

Furthermore, each player in the Dynasty will start out with a Coach Prestige of D+. The contracts were designed with a slow progression to A+ in mind.

Coaching Carousel – Job Security and Wins/Losses

As an Offensive/Defensive Coordinator, will Job Security go up if we fail the objective based goals but win a lot of games? These contracts were implemented so that Wins and Losses have a significant impact upon job security. However, it is largely dependent upon the team prestige and the caliber of the contract.

Custom Playbooks – Formation Audibles

How are formation audibles set? Formation audibles are set automatically by the CPU for each formation in a custom playbook. The CPU will pick the play out of those in the custom playbook's formation that most closely matches that particular formation audible.

Thanks once again for checking out our blogs this week and I'll see you online when NCAA Football 12 releases on July 12th.

Source: http://www.ea.com/ncaa-football/blog/dynasty-tuning

Game: NCAA Football 12Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 104 - View All
NCAA Football 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 LHSLax_D24 @ 05/27/11 11:29 PM
It says that schools recruit based on their play style. Does this mean that if, say Georgia Tech hires June Jones, will they immediately recruit a Pocket Passer?

# 62 shogun5 @ 05/27/11 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JalenTigh
Not a word about tuning the generated recruits sizes and tendencies. That's been such a major complaint I can not believe they would not have mentioned it in that blog if they had fixed it. All the tuning to how schools recruit to their schemes will not matter one bit if they still recruit 6'7 185lbs run stopping DE's for the 3-4 or 165lbs power backs for a power running game.
Absoolutely and you cant feel good recruiting a player who doesnt fit the bill in size for their position, i would skip a recruit who was five stars because of that and recruit a player with less stars just so my roster wouldnt be screwed up looking with wideouts playing defensive end and tight ends playing on the offensive line i HATE that more than anything else in NCAA

# 63 Three Seed @ 05/28/11 12:31 AM
Things like how much of an effect coaching prestige has on player progression should be things we can control. We should really be able to control anything but this seems like an example where it would probably be easy to give us a slider that's fairly simple.

# 64 dan_457 @ 05/28/11 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Yea, I hated NCAA 10, but I think it was because I looked at the problems it had way too much. When I got NCAA 11 I really enjoyed it, but then I started to repeat the following year's story and started to dislike it more and more because I looked at everything and found something wrong with it. Took a little break from the game and started to just play the game and have fun while focusing on what it did and I probably enjoyed those 4 seasons I did like that more than any other seasons I ever played in any football game.

The only problems that still bothered me in that dynasty was the zone defense and K/P recruits. Now that they fixed those, I will probably have a hard time putting 12 down if I play it like I did the end of 11.
As much as I play NCAA 11, it still frustrates me to no end. Before I bought NCAA 11, I was into all of the hype, I remember being being as excited as a 10 year old is for Christmas. Unfortunately once I started playing the game, all of the glaring flaws just screamed out at me, and It made it incredibly hard to enjoy the game. As you said, the best way to enjoy the game is to just ignore all of the flaws and just play, that's probably why the first season I played was the most fun I've ever head in a Football game. Ignorance is bliss. I've been trying to take up that approach again, just shrug it off when my free safety somehow ends up 10 yards further down field, than the guy who's in his zone wide open, etc.

With the new zone defense, I'm really excited to actually play defense now. Last year it was just so broken, along with special teams. It just felt incomplete, it was like offense was the only real phase of the game.

# 65 canes21 @ 05/28/11 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block-O
With the new zone defense being in the game, you'll now here on the forums that the defense is too hard. Can't please everyone.
Defense being too hard will make me . Now if it unrealistically hard, then... :/

# 66 canes21 @ 05/28/11 12:56 AM
Probably will be, or I hope. Last year, you either had WR Mirroring like crazy and zones that still hardly worked, or zones that never worked with more realistic man coverage.

Hopefully when they say the removed WR mirroring that means that even at 100 the DBs don't mirror WRs, but just stick with them like glue.

# 67 dan_457 @ 05/28/11 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block-O
With the new zone defense being in the game, you'll now here on the forums that the defense is too hard. Can't please everyone.
Defense should be hard. I remember playing 2k5(not trying to compare here) a while back, and I struggled to get even get a few first downs, on whatever difficulty the equivalent to All American is. I can blow out teams on any difficulty in 11 usually without even trying, so this was a brand new kind of experience. I think we've just gotten to used to being able to move the ball at will.

# 68 canes21 @ 05/28/11 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_457
Defense should be hard. I remember playing 2k5(not trying to compare here) a while back, and I struggled to get even get a few first downs, on whatever difficulty the equivalent to All American is. I can blow out teams on any difficulty in 11 usually without even trying, so this was a brand new kind of experience. I think we've just gotten to used to being able to move the ball at will.
Haha, this remind me of last summer. After getting tired of both Madden and NCAA I started a 2k5 franchise with default rosters and did a fantasy draft and drafted guy I knew were stars now, but not then. I had Ben Roth. as QB, Steven Jackson at WR, Andre Johnson at WR, etc. The team now would be insane, but in the game they were all young and inconsistent.

That season was so incredibly hard. I rarely scored over 10 points a game on the equivalent of All American. The second season though, Super Bowl favorites easily. Everyone progressed into the stars we know now.

# 69 HarkTheSound @ 05/28/11 01:11 AM
I'm sure I am not the only one like this, but OS has made me so much more critical of NCAA (and sports games in general) than I ever use to be.

I mean 3 or 4 years ago, I would know none of the new features that were coming out for the game until I had the actual game box in my hand on release. Being exposed to OS, I come to this forum 20 times a day 4-6 months before the damn game comes hunting for new stuff to scrutinize.

Sometimes I wish I never discovered OS. Don't get me wrong, I love this site, but I just seemed to enjoy myself more back in the old days. I still have a ton of fun playing, but I am urked much more easily by things I probably would have never noticed pre-OS.

I did find the dynasty blog today a bit underwhelming, but I am not gonna gripe about it. With basically all of the major features released for this years game layed out now, I gotta say I am pleased with what the NCAA is offering us this year. NCAA 11 was head and shoulders about 07-10, and I expect 12 to be a very good game as well.

# 70 boritter @ 05/28/11 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolves9
CC is a pretty significant feature WITHIN dynasty.. Just saying. To say they only spent 1% of development time on dynasty is a crude understatement.
I realize that CC is amazing for some people. I'm happy for them. But for people who don't like CC there are very few new dynasty features. Certainly Madden's franchise mode got more of an upgrade than dynasty mode.

EA said there is an option to turn CC off in dynasty. I plan on doing that because I am only interested in playing as one school per dynasty. I want to make Colorado into a powerhouse (since I can't drive a DeLorean back to the late 80s & early 90s).

Since CC is not up my alley what new dynasty improvements do I have to look forward to? According to the blog there aren't many.

# 71 JalenTigh @ 05/28/11 05:54 AM
Ok, so they have fixed the issue with QB recruiting. But so far thats the only position they are mentioning. Is this new recruiting logic going to affect all recruits or just QB's?

Will 3-4 teams recruit big run stuffing DE's and pass rushing OLB's?? Will teams like Wisconsin recruit big power backs? Will option teams recruit quick FB's? Will 3-3-5 teams double up on SS's?

Don't get me wrong, just fixing the QB problem is a major improvement, but that was far from the only position that needed work, and so far they have not mentioned (that I have seen) anything about those.

# 72 teammaxwell @ 05/28/11 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHSLax_D24
It says that schools recruit based on their play style. Does this mean that if, say Georgia Tech hires June Jones, will they immediately recruit a Pocket Passer?
I would hope that this is the case.

from what I have read and the videos posted, it looks like the new coaches philosophy comes with him to his new team.

# 73 canes21 @ 05/28/11 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boritter
I realize that CC is amazing for some people. I'm happy for them. But for people who don't like CC there are very few new dynasty features. Certainly Madden's franchise mode got more of an upgrade than dynasty mode.

EA said there is an option to turn CC off in dynasty. I plan on doing that because I am only interested in playing as one school per dynasty. I want to make Colorado into a powerhouse (since I can't drive a DeLorean back to the late 80s & early 90s).

Since CC is not up my alley what new dynasty improvements do I have to look forward to? According to the blog there aren't many.
I don't understand why you would need to turn off the CC because you want to play as Colorado. You can play as any school you want in the game still with the CC on.

# 74 Niq54 @ 05/28/11 01:40 PM
EA can we please adjust the OVR rating of players. SIZE, and Intangible ratings like AWR, PRC, Route Running, should have much more of a impack on OVR than SPD, AGL, and ACC. This would lead to less freakish type players (OLB's with 90+ SPD for example), and this would make experience more valuable than talent. Michigan for example had tons of speed last year and were highly rated on the game, but in real life they were inexperienced and poorly coached so they were not very good. Please find a better way the measure the OVR rating and we will see a much representation of real College Football.

To go with the statement of above, how do players magically lose Rating 5pts of athletism when importing draft classes from NCAA to Madden? I understand why it happens video game wise (A high rated college player shouldn't be a high rated pro player), but that's why if you adjusted what makes a NCAA player a high OVR then you wouldn't have to make dramatic athletic ratings penalties when importing players. For instance, a TOP NCAA RB will have 95 SPD 95 AGL and 95 ACC in NCAA but when he is imported into Madden he may end up with 90-92 SPD 90-95 AGL and 90-95 ACC. Did he get slower somewhere? I understand in order to keep him in line with current Madden players this is done, but there is no way to improve some physical ratings once the player is imported into Madden. Chris Johnson ran a 4.25 40 and should have been a 99 SPD in NCAA but if he would have been imported into Madden he may have ended up a 96-97, he definately would not have been a 99. If you changed the ratings in NCAA and made them not change in converting to Madden everything would be better. Granted Chris Johnson wasn't an All-Star in college, but he was still fast. He didn't get any slower, he just developed in other areas, BCV, CAR, STR. Those are the things that make a good RB not just speed, so those should be the RATINGS that MATTER and CHANGE. Suh is another perfect example he dominated in College football because he was STRONGER and FASTER than everyone else, and he still does in the NFL. But because almost every other lineman in NCAA will be rated with simliar STR ratings as Suh there is no proper way to account for that. A large majority of lineman in NCAA will be rated 99 STR or reach that mark through progression. Most lineman should be rated 85ish in STR and thus only a few ELITE players will ever reach 99. I liked the fact that recruits came in ranked lower last year, the problem was that the default rosters were rated too high. Instead of making too many elite players again make less at the beginning. You were on to something but the fix went in the wrong direction. Less 90 rated players to start with and always. Each year there are only 5-10 ELITE players in Football.

# 75 Da Hype Iz Real @ 05/28/11 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I don't understand why you would need to turn off the CC because you want to play as Colorado. You can play as any school you want in the game still with the CC on.

He probably wants to stay there forever and not get fired.

# 76 PaperBoyx703 @ 05/28/11 10:30 PM
I wish I had bought more tissues for this thread. Not enough to go around.

# 77 jlandryst @ 05/28/11 11:01 PM
i think EA did a great job they are improving and adding things slowly. But here is an idea. The people who think they didnt do anything different or made the game better than last year. Stop complaining and just keep your 59.99 in your pocket and let the people who are happy about the game post and play in peace

Thank You
Good Night

# 78 Bullet Sponge @ 05/28/11 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandryst
i think EA did a great job they are improving and adding things slowly. But here is an idea. The people who think they didnt do anything different or made the game better than last year. Stop complaining and just keep your 59.99 in your pocket and let the people who are happy about the game post and play in peace
Or... The people who love the game could just buy it and play it and stop defending it so others who want to complain can be heard. That doesn't make any sense either, does it? Honestly the "if you don't like it then shut up" posts are a waste of space. Offer a critique, or a defense, but not that garbage.

# 79 mavfan21 @ 05/28/11 11:20 PM
Incoming Prospect Ratings

Finally, we've updated the incoming ratings for all generated prospects with a focus on ensuring they are consistent with the recruits on the default roster. Now you won't notice a drop off in overall player talent in future years of the Dynasty when the players on the default roster have graduated. I think you will find that some positions, in particular Kickers and Punters, will be far more accurate this year.

So I am hoping this means some of the WR recruits will have some Juke, Spin, and Agility ratings on par with the current WRs?

That was a HUGE bummer for me.

# 80 mavfan21 @ 05/28/11 11:22 PM
I am hoping that when you switch conferences the correct (new) conference logo appears on the field.

Also a major bummer last year.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.