Home
Madden 12 News Post

Aaron Boulding of EA Tiburon has released a blog on the all-new Dynamic Player Performance in Madden NFL 12.

“In the NFL, no player performs the same in the fourth quarter, as he does in the first.”

That quote from John Madden sums up the intentions behind Madden NFL 12’s new Dynamic Player Performance feature. Simply put, things happen in football games that change the way players behave and Madden NFL is going to reflect that. There are a lot of parallel systems at work in Dynamic Player Performance (DPP) that contribute to different player behavior during games, from one game to the next and from one season to the next. The end result is the 20+ players that you’re NOT controlling in Madden NFL 12 will be reacting to each other now, as well as reacting to what you’re choosing to do.

Separate from a player’s ratings, DPP introduces player traits that are position-specific and have only a handful of potential “settings”. Understanding these traits and what kind of on-the-field events trigger them and in what direction is key. As the most important players on the field, quarterbacks have the most traits including ones like “Senses Pressure” and “Tucks and Runs”. The Senses Pressure trait, for example, can come up as Paranoid, Trigger Happy, Ideal, Average and Oblivious. A “Paranoid” quarterback, like a rookie, will look to throw the ball as quickly as possible to avoid a hit rather than waiting an extra beat for a receiver to break open. At the other end of the spectrum is a guy like Ben Roethlisberger who is oblivious to pressure and will wait forever before delivering the ball, sometimes taking sacks, sometimes creating a play that wouldn’t be there otherwise.

The most important points to understand about traits is that they only change over the course of a game based on events that happen during the game. Roethlisberger is “Oblivious” when it comes to sensing pressure but if he gets hit often enough, if his late throws lead to interceptions, eventually he will look to deliver the ball sooner when he feels pressure coming and maybe he moves to “Average.”

There are traits for all positions on the field –defensive backs can play a pass in the air Aggressively, Balanced or conservatively—but what might be more important to understand about Dynamic Player Performance is that it will contribute to A.I. behavior more often than anything. Staying with the Roethlisberger example, if you’re playing as Pittsburgh, you’re still in control of that offense, making the decisions of when Big Ben is going to deliver the ball. So how does DPP play there?

What we didn’t tell you is that all traits for all players are “in play” and can be affected at all times during a game. So while you are sensing the pressure as Roethlisberger and calculating how many milliseconds you have to fire the ball or when you’re going to tuck the ball and run away, Roethlisberger’s Tight Spiral trait may switch from “Yes” to “No” after a few hits. After he’s gotten to you a few times the pass rusher’s Big Hitter trait may switch from “No” to “Yes” now that he smells blood in the water. A linebacker or defensive back may have his Plays Ball in the Air trait switch to “Aggressive” since he’s seen you throw so many wounded ducks due to pressure and now he wants to go for the pick. The whole point is, A.I.-controlled players will be the ones most influenced by the new Dynamic Player Performance system rather than the players you’re controlling. You’ll be able to understand Roethlisberger’s tendency to hold the ball or tuck and run better when you’re playing against him than when you’re using him.

With that established, now we can tell you it gets deeper. A player’s ratings, those numbers that we all salivate over and complain about each year, can change as part of the Dynamic Player Performance system too. A few dozen players in Madden NFL 12 will have a “Yes” setting for their Clutch trait. These are guys who will experience a ratings boost (such as deep throwing accuracy or tackling) during a game when the moment calls for it. We’ll have to see if it’s possible, during the run of play, to knock a guy’s Clutch trait to “No” thus saving you from heartbreaking defeat.

All players in Madden NFL 12 have a Consistency trait and a Confidence trait, each on a five star scale. Rather than get into a metaphysical discussion about what those words mean, we can tell you these traits influence hot and cold streaks for players from game to game when you’re playing in Franchise mode. In one-off Play Now and head-to-head online games , Consistency and Confidence traits will be huge as it will allow for variance amongst players each time you play without having to update your rosters. Our man Donny Moore—Madden NFL “Ratings Czar”—won’t be getting off any easier though as he’ll also be tweaking player traits now in addition to player ratings.

Dynamic Player Performance is much more under-the-hood work on Madden NFL 12 than can be explained here. The fact is, however, you will notice certain trends throughout a game now with similar things happening around certain players that you’re not controlling and then other players that you’re not controlling reacting to that. The DPP system takes steps to set up you the player as the X factor in every game of Madden NFL 12, which is how it should be.

Source: Dynamic Player Performance Examined (EA.com)

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 vln13 @ 06/03/11 12:45 PM
Cool! But one thing in the video was the cool 3d graphic showing how DPP affects the players on the field. Was that manufactured for the trailer, or is that in the game?

# 22 The GIGGAS @ 06/03/11 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
All those overlays and whatnot won't be there saying the tendency just went up etc. That's marketing at work.
I wasn't talking about that. I was mainly talking about the voiceover. That was specifically crafted for the video.

# 23 Broncos86 @ 06/03/11 12:51 PM
Great video to show DPP. But yeah, the presentation was made for that video, including the play by play commentary.

Nevertheless, what matters to me is what we're seeing with players changing throughout and tendencies changing. I'm loving this. Putting a QB in the dirt often will really rattle him. Maybe even to the point that you'd consider pulling him if he were rattled and erratic on throws. It really will bring the "game manager" type QB into play vs the gunslingers like Jay Cutler.

# 24 Only1LT @ 06/03/11 12:52 PM
Thanks for pasting the whole blog. At least I believe that's the whole blog. Obviously it isn't that hard to go to their site, but I appreciate the added convenience of not having to.

DPP sounds extremely interesting. I really hope they can pull this off without too many (there inevitably will be some) hitches. Could be huge.

# 25 poster @ 06/03/11 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
The thing that gets me is that there is NO way the presentation is that good in the game. It can't be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
That's exactly what I was thinking, if the commentary is that good, i'll be sold.
Quote:
All those overlays and whatnot won't be there saying the tendency just went up etc. That's marketing at work.
Thanks Chase for confirming. Can you comment on what The GIGGAS asked about the specific commentary?

Does anyone know what triggers which players are shown in the pause menu screens we are seeing?

Just read the meaty blog, sounds great. It won't be perfect, but it looks like they will take a boring and lifeless game and make it into something dynamic and exciting. Franchise mode will be so very much improved!

# 26 bigdfan76 @ 06/03/11 12:57 PM
I'm interested and concerned how this will work with rookies. I don't mean the preexcisting rookies like Cam Newton or Patrick Peterson. I mean the NCAA imported rookies. I would think the Madden random generated rookies would be fine since Madden created them but what about the imported draft classes? I mean last I checked NCAA QBs didn't even have the same accuracy ratings(deep accuracy, short accuracy, med accuracy). How does Madden plan on approaching this potential issue? The imported NCAA rookies is one of my favorite features of the 2 games even though there are usualy issues with it. I think it's the realism and the fact I could play with a guy in NCAA and bring him over to my Cowboys franchise in Madden. But if their Dynamic Player Performance is screwed up or generic/non-existent or their traits are wacked I'm not so sure it will be such a great feature. I would really appreciate a dev chiming in on this, thanks.

# 27 LaW97 @ 06/03/11 12:58 PM
so basically,
scrambling QB's are gonna scramble now

i hate facing a team with a QB known for breaking out a decent run and they never leave the pocket. i dont even feel threatened or have to adjust my gameplan. I just play them the same as I would any other stationary QB.

# 28 at23steelers @ 06/03/11 01:02 PM
It sounds like when there is an NFL season, there will be much less increases / decreases the player's overall just based on one week, but instead more adjustments to their consistency and confidence!

# 29 Broncos86 @ 06/03/11 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdfan76
I'm interested and concerned how this will work with rookies. I don't mean the preexcisting rookies like Cam Newton or Patrick Peterson. I mean the NCAA imported rookies. I would think the Madden random generated rookies would be fine since Madden created them but what about the imported draft classes? I mean last I checked NCAA QBs didn't even have the same accuracy ratings(deep accuracy, short accuracy, med accuracy). How does Madden plan on approaching this potential issue? The imported NCAA rookies is one of my favorite features of the 2 games even though there are usualy issues with it. I think it's the realism and the fact I could play with a guy in NCAA and bring him over to my Cowboys franchise in Madden. But if their Dynamic Player Performance is screwed up or generic/non-existent or their traits are wacked I'm not so sure it will be such a great feature. I would really appreciate a dev chiming in on this, thanks.
If I recall, Adembroski was tasked with the NCAA class imports. So perhaps he can shed some light on that. In the end, there has to be a level of randomness involved. 75% chance a rookie QB gets the "paranoid" trait for pressure, etc. Maybe if his college AWR is high enough, he gets "trigger happy" instead. /shrug

# 30 mm boost @ 06/03/11 01:13 PM
that video got me jacked up, I can't wait for the new college and madden football games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

# 31 Only1LT @ 06/03/11 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousFoLife
Dont know if this has been posted but the more fleshed out article is up at http://www.ea.com/madden-nfl/blog/dy...mance-features I'm excited to say the least to see how this will change games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
The one in the OP isn't the meaty blog though...

It's weird, but even though this link has a longer article, it didn't broach on the depth of the system as much as the blog posted in the OP.

If I didn't know more about DPP, and only read the blog in the link above, I would come away with a good impression, but it would make me think of DPP more along the lines of Weapons, than what it really is.

Good read, but for me personally, it was weird that I got less info, in a way, from it, than the shorter blog.

# 32 Broncos86 @ 06/03/11 01:25 PM
The two really need to go together. One makes you want to know more about each trait, the other makes you ask "how deep is this?"

# 33 Gotmadskillzson @ 06/03/11 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaW97
so basically,
scrambling QB's are gonna scramble now

i hate facing a team with a QB known for breaking out a decent run and they never leave the pocket. i dont even feel threatened or have to adjust my gameplan. I just play them the same as I would any other stationary QB.
You need to play on all madden. QBs with high enough elusiveness and ball carrier vision scramble on all madden difficulty.

# 34 Cryolemon @ 06/03/11 01:29 PM
Some good info. The dynamic player performance seems cool.

# 35 RGiles36 @ 06/03/11 01:33 PM
Quote:
Thank God! LOL

# 36 Only1LT @ 06/03/11 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
New video:

http://www.ea.com/madden-nfl/videos/...ormance-sizzle

Loving the presentation aspect shown throughout the video. I take it that the DPP traits will be shown throughout in this manner based on what takes place in game? Very nice if so. The end TD was kind of cheesy and predictable, hoping it was just to show off the feature and not that easy to succeed everytime.

Cool video.

I like the improvements to the player models. I definitely don't love them now, but I no longer despise them, so that's progress lol.

Curious if those traits at the beginning of the vid were how Eli is at default. If so, I have to question him having an Ideal rating for Force Passes lol. He isn't terrible in that regard, but I definitely wouldn't say ideal either.

He definitely is not unfamiliar with the concept of throwing into coverage on occasion, particularly off his back foot lol.

# 37 RGiles36 @ 06/03/11 01:44 PM
So do I understand this correctly?

The ratings themselves do not fluctuate in-game. The traits are what change in-game. The ratings seem to change from game to game, as a result of confidence/previous game performance.

# 38 Only1LT @ 06/03/11 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
The two really need to go together. One makes you want to know more about each trait, the other makes you ask "how deep is this?"
Totally agree, I was just wondering why the longer blog was constructed that way. It doesn't paint the picture, in my opinion, that they want to be painting if you just read that blog and no other.

They are doing some really cool things here, at least on the surface, and I think it would behoove them to explain it in as much detail as possible so that people really understand that.

The blog started with saying that this is no gimmick like Weapons, but if you didn't know anything else about DPP, you would get the impression that DPP IS a lot like Weapons.

Might just be me, but that was the impression it gave me. I had just read the blog in the OP, and had started reading the other blog, and in the middle I sent the link to a friend. After finishing it, I got the urge to send the other blog too, because I didn't think that he would really see what the big deal is from just the one I sent. Just made me think, how many other people might not see all that DPP entails either if that's all they read.

When marketing something as potentially huge as this, but is also extremely complex, involved, and nuanced, I just think they should have spared no space to make sure that all of the intricacies were hammered home, EVERY single time that they blog about it.

Just my $.02

# 39 Only1LT @ 06/03/11 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
So do I understand this correctly?

The ratings themselves do not fluctuate in-game. The traits are what change in-game. The ratings seem to change from game to game, as a result of confidence/previous game performance.
Not 100% sure about that either, which could be added to my above post.

I assume it does change ratings, as in the IGN piece it said that it affected OVR, but it would not be the first time IGN, or any game site goofed, so I'm not sure now.

# 40 bigdfan76 @ 06/03/11 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
If I recall, Adembroski was tasked with the NCAA class imports. So perhaps he can shed some light on that. In the end, there has to be a level of randomness involved. 75% chance a rookie QB gets the "paranoid" trait for pressure, etc. Maybe if his college AWR is high enough, he gets "trigger happy" instead. /shrug
I would love to hear from Adembroski on this. I agree we're probably looking at randomness. But they did say they tuned the draft classes. I would hope that if a QB for example is great in the college game he would translate well into the NFL. For example Andrew Luck is gonna be awesome in NCAA 12. If he has a great season in my NCAA dynasty and gets drafted #1 (which will most likely happen IRL) he should have good QB traits like Matty Ice. The term can't miss prospect comes to mind.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.