Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Jon Robinson of ESPN The Gamer has released a blog entailing some of the early details and thoughts from the 2K team about NBA 2K12.

Quote:
"Digital Dirk.

All you need to know about the dedication of the "NBA 2K12" producers is their disgust for the way digital Dirk Nowitzki looked and played in "NBA 2K11" and how they've already fixed a lot of those problems in their new game.

From the first shot I saw during the demo, the difference is staggering as Dirk not only looked more like the Mavs superstar (and less like a polygonal Frankenstein), but the way he shot just looked so smooth, right down to the arc of his rainbow jumper, that I wanted to find any way I could to get my hands on the game and take some fadeaways for myself.

Unfortunately, the game is still a bit early for that, and the E3 demo I was given behind closed doors at the 2K Sports booth was all too brief given that the game already looks bad *** (right down to Jason Terry busting out "The Jet" down court after hitting a three)."

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 FBeaule04 @ 06/14/11 10:32 AM
Dirk and Peyton Manning we're in the same situation. They needed a championship to shut up everyone and prove that they we're more than stats.

I hope now Dirk will get the respect he should get, since he's one of the best to ever play in the NBA.

# 2 Jakeness23 @ 06/14/11 02:35 PM
loving the sounds of it so far, trying not to get too pumped, but it's so hard after 2K11 and then them saying they're still going at it 110 percent for 2K12.. Cant freaking wait for October

# 3 NealN42 @ 06/14/11 03:41 PM
I've liked what 2k has been saying thus far, despite it being very little, but I'll hold my excitement until its clear that they actually put forth some type of effort in My Player this year. 2k11's My Player is the definition of a mess, and it's clear they released it with the mode less than 50% finished...I'm hopeful 2k12 won't make the same mistake, or it will be the last 2k sports title I buy.

# 4 Ike04 @ 06/14/11 04:11 PM
This is great news. And even in its early stages 2k12 is sounding like it might top 2k11. A couple questions I have is when are they going to address the online, and who are they gonna put on the cover this year to top jordan?! Its going to be interesting to find out.

# 5 ClevelandinDistress @ 06/14/11 04:47 PM
The game is sounding tasty! I honestly feel like the nba 2k producers are the only developers who take words out of my mouth. And improve on stuff ive been thinking about for a long time.

# 6 ybtherockstar @ 06/14/11 05:26 PM
Its gonna be awesome to play with dirk in this game!

# 7 scottyo60 @ 06/14/11 06:12 PM
I hope so cus I was terrible with the Mavs and couldn't ever get Dirk to dominate

# 8 youvalss @ 06/14/11 07:45 PM
That's nice to read, but come on! Next year they will be disgusted with some things from 2K12, etc. etc..

I know the game becomes a bit better every year, but if you're totally disgusted with what you had last year, why didn't you fix it last year? It just seems a bit exaggerated (marketing wise) with all the disgusting...

Anyway, I'm curious to see what changes were made to the graphics. I'm not taking these screenshots too seriously, because if I do, I would know what graphics are 95% the same. But I'm waiting for some screenshots from an older build...and hopefully it's going to be different.

# 9 aloncho11 @ 06/14/11 10:13 PM
"And when it comes to the A.I., we've really done a lot of work when it comes to taking advantage of each player's skills," added producer Rob Jones. "Last year, the user really knew how to take advantage of every player, but the A.I. just wouldn't attack you the same way. This year, the A.I. will play more like the real players out on the court."

So far liking this part The AI finally playing to their full potential.

# 10 Schisms @ 06/14/11 10:55 PM
Bout time they fixed his jumpshot

# 11 shindiana @ 06/15/11 11:19 AM
Westbrook's skin tone is still wrong.

# 12 kolanji @ 06/15/11 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shindiana
Westbrook's skin tone is still wrong.
hmmm i am kinda sure that is not a pic of 2k12 besides even if it is there is still months left in the development cycle

# 13 kpax1º1 @ 06/15/11 12:42 PM
Could this mean that Dirk is the new cover boy of the game? I mean this article saying how they improved a lot of Dirk's animations can lead to that.

# 14 TheKasmar @ 06/15/11 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS

right down to the arc of his rainbow jumper
Signature arcs have been in the game for a while now including Dirks.

# 15 elprez98 @ 06/16/11 11:10 AM
Wrong thread. Lets talk about 2k here.

# 16 jfsolo @ 06/16/11 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
That's nice to read, but come on! Next year they will be disgusted with some things from 2K12, etc. etc..

I know the game becomes a bit better every year, but if you're totally disgusted with what you had last year, why didn't you fix it last year? It just seems a bit exaggerated (marketing wise) with all the disgusting...

Anyway, I'm curious to see what changes were made to the graphics. I'm not taking these screenshots too seriously, because if I do, I would know what graphics are 95% the same. But I'm waiting for some screenshots from an older build...and hopefully it's going to be different.
Disgusted may be a bit hyperbolic, but I get, and love their mindset. My sense when I hear or read stuff from Rob, Mike, or Erick is that they simply run out of time every year, so they just have to lock things down when that deadline arrives. They know that they have made a lot of quality improvements to the title, but they know that there's much more to be done.

I got the feeling from some other development teams in the past that they were totally happy with their gameplay and A.I. work every year, and they are completely stunned when the fans don't agree. Maybe they were under corporate mandate not to express dissatisfaction with the prior years work, but I don't think that that was always the case.

# 17 Da_Czar @ 06/16/11 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Disgusted may be a bit hyperbolic, but I get, and love their mindset. My sense when I hear or read stuff from Rob, Mike, or Erick is that they simply run out of time every year, so they just have to lock things down when that deadline arrives. They know that they have made a lot of quality improvements to the title, but they know that there's much more to be done.

I got the feeling from some other development teams in the past that they were totally happy with their gameplay and A.I. work every year, and they are completely stunned when the fans don't agree. Maybe they were under corporate mandate not to express dissatisfaction with the prior years work, but I don't think that that was always the case.
Well Stated Solo. I don't know why guys think its a conspiracy against the gamer with 2k every year LOL. Is it that difficult to understand that time, resources, and priorities mean that SOMETHING will not get upgraded to the degree that they would like. Then mix in the time you want them to take to test what does get put in the game and you can easily see that every year there are going to be things that can be done better or taken farther.

# 18 youvalss @ 06/16/11 08:51 PM
Of course they don't have enough time for everything they want/we ask for. but anyway, I don't know if they were really disgusted or it's just a marketing tool, but it sounds a bit too much. And when they focus more on Nowitzki - it's like they're trying to ride the Finals hype. I love 2K and own many of their games, but this was a bit...ummm...silly to read.

And again, I do hope the game gets big boost in other areas than gameplay as well. This may be the area where EA pushed 2K to unpgrade - against 2K's will (or so it seems to me). From 2K8 to 2K9 we've seen some nice graphical upgrade, but after 2K9 it's pretty much the same to me (yeah, player models and better lighting is not everything...).

# 19 Da_Czar @ 06/16/11 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
Of course they don't have enough time for everything they want/we ask for. but anyway, I don't know if they were really disgusted or it's just a marketing tool, but it sounds a bit too much. And when they focus more on Nowitzki - it's like they're trying to ride the Finals hype. I love 2K and own many of their games, but this was a bit...ummm...silly to read.

And again, I do hope the game gets big boost in other areas than gameplay as well. This may be the area where EA pushed 2K to unpgrade - against 2K's will (or so it seems to me). From 2K8 to 2K9 we've seen some nice graphical upgrade, but after 2K9 it's pretty much the same to me (yeah player models and better lighting is not everything...).
Sometimes I think were just reading way too much into some comments. I def won't speak for anyone but there were def some parts of the game they were not happy with at all. That was as of last year when the game released so it's not something they just started making up just to market the game to you.

But at the end of the day were all a bit selfish with what we want from the game right ? I'm included in that also. Many different paradigms so read into it however you see fit. I just try to bring some clarity to situations from first hand interaction.

Gamers are a tuff nut to crack because just like you said of course they don't have enough time for everything you also were of the mindset of why didn't they just fix it last year. Some things we as gamers intellectually understand but the gamer in us is like yeah but screw that just FIXIT. LOL

# 20 youvalss @ 06/16/11 09:40 PM
I totally understand what you are saying, Czar, yet we've all have become too much of...gaming scientists. Many people would analyze every little detail in the gameplay and how this changed and to what extent and what is needed and what little touch would make it more acceptable and....etc. etc. etc.

I actually think many people have forgot to be gamers, have forgot to look at other things than perfecting the gameplay/AI (which is EXTREMELY important, I'm not saying it's not). Gone are the days when sports games got a big bost year after year in other areas. And that's a shame! We don't buy the whole package anymore. We buy just what seems to be more important. Too bad...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.