Home
NCAA Football 12 News Post

Details for the NCAA Football 12 demo have been released, according to Platform Nation.

Quote:
Today (June 21) at 1pm ET/ 10am PT you will be able to check out the demo via EA SPORTS Stream as EA will be giving all the details for the upcoming demo for the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3. But when will you be able to get your hands on the demo for yourself? Mark your calenders for June 28 as the demo that is being showcased today will be the demo that will be available on Xbox LIVE and the PlayStation Store for you to checkout for yourself.

In addition, the demo will showcase Oregon vs. Texas and Alabama vs. Florida State in four two-minute quarters. There will also be selectable difficulty levels and live tuner packs. You will also have the opportunity to unlock five Pro Combat jerseys for the full retail game.

You can also check out the archived stream below of EA developers playing the demo:

Game: NCAA Football 12Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 104 - View All
NCAA Football 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 261 TheTodd84 @ 06/22/11 06:41 PM
Didn't mean to come off as vengeful... just want to know why people other than the people who actually are on these forums don't hold EA accountable for this baloney? It's the same thing, different year. College Football is based around the spread offense and the play-action and the zone read. So, WHY DONT THOSE WORK PROPERLY? There just really are not any excuses.

# 262 TheTodd84 @ 06/22/11 06:49 PM
And I guess... the ONE thing I'd like to know is why the EA marketing team continues to cater to the casual gamer? Am I the only one who realizes that casual gamers do NOT buy the game every year? They buy NCAA 09 and then that's it and play it until they get sick of it and trade it in when call of duty comes out. And if they don't like it, they probably didn't like it because it DIDN'T PLAY WELL. That is the definition of a casual gamer. The Hardcore guys on here are the ones who buy the game every single year because they are huge college football fans. Those are the MAJORITY of the buyers of this game. Casual gamers have their mom's buy them the game for christmas and aren't standing in line at midnight to buy this game.

That's where I feel like EA doesn't have their priorities right. Why are you catering your sports game, which is a genre more conducive to hardcore fans than most others, to casual gamers who may or may not purchase the game on a yearly basis? Especially since the hardcore people WILL buy it every year. It doesn't make business sense. You can only have so many new buyers of a game each year before you hit a ceiling. That's why madden hasn't increased in sales... the hardcore people aren't buying the game because it's garbage and the amount of casual gamers buying the games are spending their money elsewhere on games they are more interested in, like call of duty or LA Noire.

Am I the only one who notices this?

# 263 nag5115 @ 06/22/11 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd84
And I guess... the ONE thing I'd like to know is why the EA marketing team continues to cater to the casual gamer? Am I the only one who realizes that casual gamers do NOT buy the game every year? They buy NCAA 09 and then that's it and play it until they get sick of it and trade it in when call of duty comes out. And if they don't like it, they probably didn't like it because it DIDN'T PLAY WELL. That is the definition of a casual gamer. The Hardcore guys on here are the ones who buy the game every single year because they are huge college football fans. Those are the MAJORITY of the buyers of this game. Casual gamers have their mom's buy them the game for christmas and aren't standing in line at midnight to buy this game.

That's where I feel like EA doesn't have their priorities right. Why are you catering your sports game, which is a genre more conducive to hardcore fans than most others, to casual gamers who may or may not purchase the game on a yearly basis? Especially since the hardcore people WILL buy it every year. It doesn't make business sense. You can only have so many new buyers of a game each year before you hit a ceiling. That's why madden hasn't increased in sales... the hardcore people aren't buying the game because it's garbage and the amount of casual gamers buying the games are spending their money elsewhere on games they are more interested in, like call of duty or LA Noire.

Am I the only one who notices this?
I agree completely. I'm one of the hardcore fans, buy the games (madden and ncaa) every year. Last year madden was so terrible that i ended up not touching it after a few weeks and focused my time on NCAA. Likewise NCAA 10 was miserable to play I actually thought about not buying NCAA last year. It seems like every other year EA slacks on one game and puts all their effort to make the other better. Unfortunately I'm afraid that this may be the year they devoted to madden. Hope I'm wrong because the coaching carousel looks pretty nice, as well as the additions to RTG. Just waiting for that exclusive liscense to expire because I feel like 2K could make a sweet college football game or at the very least give EA some competition so they step their game up.

# 264 acts238shaun @ 06/22/11 08:20 PM
Quote:
just because they "increased the size of the football team" for NCAA does not necessarily mean they are focusing on gameplay. They are not mutually exclusive. We, and you, have no idea what the extra people are being used for in this instance. It is not a "tangible fact" that it is being used on gameplay just because EA says they are working on it. How long has EA said one thing and delivered another? When are we going to stop believing them? They are out to market their product, OF COURSE they are going to say they are "focused on gameplay" to please the masses and get people to shut up. Until the gameplay ACTUALLY changes and there are "tangible" changes, then really, nothing has changed. So it's not necessarily a fact because we can only speculate what their intentions are.

Until a spread running team like oregon picks me apart for 300+ yards rushing and 500+ yards of total offense and not just throwing the ball for slants or seams that can't be stopped and the CPU actually puts together a dynamic gameplan to pick me apart, just like, I dunno, oregon does IN REAL LIFE, then they will have showed me they have worked on gameplay. Until then, I will believe it when I see it.

Hopefully increasing the "football team" at EA will mean a football version of the "impact engine" FIFA is using. Until they use that, everything will be scripted and movement will be way off... as well as logic and how the game plays. Real-time physics would fix a lot of the gameplay issues w the CPU, like defensive linemen reacting WAY TOO QUICKLY to the zone read.
Fight Night increased their team, didn't help. The code was so bad the constant freezes broke many PS3's.

# 265 NDFan1029 @ 06/22/11 11:07 PM
Quote:
just because they "increased the size of the football team" for NCAA does not necessarily mean they are focusing on gameplay. They are not mutually exclusive. We, and you, have no idea what the extra people are being used for in this instance. It is not a "tangible fact" that it is being used on gameplay just because EA says they are working on it. How long has EA said one thing and delivered another? When are we going to stop believing them? They are out to market their product, OF COURSE they are going to say they are "focused on gameplay" to please the masses and get people to shut up. Until the gameplay ACTUALLY changes and there are "tangible" changes, then really, nothing has changed. So it's not necessarily a fact because we can only speculate what their intentions are.

Until a spread running team like oregon picks me apart for 300+ yards rushing and 500+ yards of total offense and not just throwing the ball for slants or seams that can't be stopped and the CPU actually puts together a dynamic gameplan to pick me apart, just like, I dunno, oregon does IN REAL LIFE, then they will have showed me they have worked on gameplay. Until then, I will believe it when I see it.

Hopefully increasing the "football team" at EA will mean a football version of the "impact engine" FIFA is using. Until they use that, everything will be scripted and movement will be way off... as well as logic and how the game plays. Real-time physics would fix a lot of the gameplay issues w the CPU, like defensive linemen reacting WAY TOO QUICKLY to the zone read.
EA should've gone after the Euphoria engine from Backbreaker. If they had that, the game would be incredible. Gameplay-wise, it would open up a million doors for this franchise.

# 266 kt-od @ 06/23/11 10:10 AM

# 267 bpac55 @ 06/23/11 10:18 AM
Not to sound like a loser but what if I never use xbox live and don't have any friends to share with?

# 268 TheTodd84 @ 06/23/11 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan1029
EA should've gone after the Euphoria engine from Backbreaker. If they had that, the game would be incredible. Gameplay-wise, it would open up a million doors for this franchise.
This... couldn't have said it better myself.

# 269 volwalker @ 06/23/11 10:27 AM
After reading all of the comments in the post I have conlcuded that the biggest concerns that the hardcore gamers have for NCAA 12 (including myself) are 1) CPU shotgun running and 2) USER play-action effectiveness. After watching every single gameplay footage the internet has to offer (Bama vs. Auburn, Cal vs. USC, South Carolina vs. Clemson, the demo itself, etc.) I would like to share my thoughts regarding the two concerns above.

1) After watching the UStrem event, the demo is the only real footage we can go by that relates to CPU shotgun running. I admit that the CPU struggled to establish the shotgun running game. Is there a chance that this concern will carry over into the retail version of the game? Sure, but there are a couple of things that can hopefully fix this problem: tuners and sliders. There is a small chance (albiet a chance) that tuners can fix this problem. If not then I believe that I can fix this myself with sliders. Whenever I will play against a CPU spread option team (I am an offline dynasty guy) I will simply adjust the HB awareness or something to that effect. Once the game is over I will set the slider back to my default setting.

I think the simple reason why the CPU has a hard time with running from the shotgun is that the HB simply can not find the correct hole to run through, especially cut-back holes. Most if not all shotgun run plays call for the HB to run horizontally then make a cut upfield. The "cut" part is what the CPU is struggling with. That is why under center running works so well in last years game: most under center runs call for the HB to run vertically upfield and thus eliminates the need to rely on cut-back runs. Those same runs lead the HB to run right into a hole made by the offensive line. I feel that one, if not both things can help fix this problem.

2) After watching all of the gameplay videos that are mentioned above, I am thoroughly impressed with the improvement of the USER play-action pass. In NCAA 11 I ran mostly a pro style offense which call for alot of paly-action. 9 times out of 10 play-action would not work. After counting the number of play-action plays in the NCAA 12 videos, I have calculated that the play-action worked a little over 50% of the time. This is an amzaing improvement compared to what we are used to. If you are not convienced that play-action has improved and is therefore more realistic, then there is no way to please you as a gamer.

I hope that my little speech can help ease the minds of the hardcore gamers who are worried that these two facets of gameplay will not ruin their overall experience with NCAA 12. I know they will not ruin mine.

# 270 MrRudy @ 06/23/11 10:39 AM
Volwalker, I love your post. We need a little more optimism than what is floating around on this board about this game. I've done my share of complaining in terms of what has been done with Teambuilder, but I'm still geared up for the game. I love the lack of suction and the new look of tackles.

# 271 maddenforeva @ 06/23/11 11:39 AM
Quote:

If you want them to play like they do in real life, you are going to be upset that your defense isnt working correctly. They play the way they do, because that is where the fault lies in your defense. In real life, Oregan is faster and better than its opponents. In video games, all teams are equal except for ratings. I assume if you are playing with a bad team, they will scoer alot on youl.. If you play with a good teaM tho, you cant expect 500 yards of offense. we knot too much about the game to allow 500 yards of their BS option and shotgun plays. we know all the tricks. its the shotgun and play action that needs to be fixed, not the plays they run IRL

# 272 TheTodd84 @ 06/23/11 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddenforeva
If you want them to play like they do in real life, you are going to be upset that your defense isnt working correctly. They play the way they do, because that is where the fault lies in your defense. In real life, Oregan is faster and better than its opponents. In video games, all teams are equal except for ratings. I assume if you are playing with a bad team, they will scoer alot on youl.. If you play with a good teaM tho, you cant expect 500 yards of offense. we knot too much about the game to allow 500 yards of their BS option and shotgun plays. we know all the tricks. its the shotgun and play action that needs to be fixed, not the plays they run IRL
you are right and you clarified my point. My point is that with real-time physics, you will fix the play-action glitches and the shotgun running because momentum and weight will actually be taken into consideration and you won't have defensive ends in the backfield as often using hyper speed to rush up the field.

It's so annoying when playing CPU oregon that LaMichael James has a HUGE hole off the left side that one of two things happens... either a) the AI RB programming is so bad that he misses the hole completely and cuts back when he doesn't need to, or b) some super-human defensive end magically sheds his block to shut the hole in 2 seconds for a minimal gain. Sure, this happens SOMETIMES in real life, but jesus, every running play? Why can't oregon run for 200 yards on me? Programming and a lack of physics and momentum, that's why.

# 273 Pokes404 @ 06/24/11 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySmooov
No, no, and no.

1) You say real-time physics will improve PA Glitches (whatever those are) and shotgun running will be fixed. First, lets just nip it in the bud when it comes to real-time physics, Madden and NCAA won't have them in this generation of consoles. Say what you want about Backbreaker, the game was bare-bones when compared to NCAA (and Madden). Look at all the features, animations and graphical aspects of the game in comparison to Backbreaker.

Backbreaker sells the Euphoria engine. NCAA sells college football, and everything about it. You think the memory in-game for NCAA could handle the Euphoria engine, along with every feature, pre-game, game mode, and every other small feature in the game?

I doubt EA will take on the Euphoria engine, mainly because they're a top company and they've built on taking chances and making a name for itself. They'll probably have they're own animation engine for the next-gen consoles, and those aren't due for another 2-3 years.

2) The fact that Oregon and the CPU can't run out of the shotgun could be potentially due to a number of reasons we haven't considered.

Maybe it's one of those glitch-type of things where no matter what, Oregon will never be able to run in NCAA games.

More than likely, it has to do with how running plays out of the shotgun are scripted in-game, more so than AI. In real life, running out of the shotgun is the opposite of running out of traditional formations. Where in a typical I-Form, the RB is supposed to hit a designated hole and bounce out if it's possible, running out of the Gun is more based on patience and hitting the open lane when it's there.

Based off of how EA does their plays, all of the run plays are designed for the RB to run outside. So maybe they need to redo the logic on how the OL blocks for running plays out of the gun.

Or, maybe it IS an AI problem. However, EA would have to be careful in making the AI too smart for it's own good. Remember, people thinking individually and independently, and it would be a nightmare if the RB knew where the best hole was each time. I just think they need to somehow redo or re-tune how teams run out of the Gun, because it's ridiculous when you can't even get creative to get a couple yards w/ Oregon on the ground.
To expand on what you're saying, I can tell you what I believe to be the biggest problem with running out of the gun. It's how static the O-line/D-line interactions are. So many shotgun runs are all about getting the defensive line moving toward the sidelines. You get the defense flowing one way and it's the running backs job the determine whether he can beat the defense to the outside or if he needs to use the defenders' momentum against them and cut back into the hole. The problem in the game is that when the offensive and defensive linemen engage, they don't move dynamically. The blocker doesn't drive his man toward the sideline while the defender tries to cover ground and fight off the blocker (except for those rare instances where you'll see TEs driving LBs toward the sidelines while they try to fight them off [why doesn't this happen more often]). For the most part, they plant their feet in the ground and then the blocker either throws the defender to the ground, or the defender tosses the blocker to the side for an easy tackle. Because of this, shotgun runs, which are much more about making reads than just hitting a designated hole, will continue to be ineffective in this game. At least, not without massive slider help. But then that creates a whole new set of problems.

I disagree with you about Backbreaker though. NCAA is the bare-bones game to me because none of the features, presentation elements, and/or game modes they add do me any good if I can't stand playing the game on the field. And while I'd be hard pressed to call Backbreaker anything more than "OK," I find myself getting into it more than NCAA because of the physics and the simulation feel (I hate that analog-stick passing system though). When it comes down to it, I'd rather have a football simulator with college elements than a college simulator with football elements (that explanation doesn't work 100% but I think you get what I'm saying).

# 274 Kaiser Wilhelm @ 06/24/11 06:13 PM
Quote:
1) You say real-time physics will improve PA Glitches (whatever those are) and shotgun running will be fixed. First, lets just nip it in the bud when it comes to real-time physics, Madden and NCAA won't have them in this generation of consoles. Say what you want about Backbreaker, the game was bare-bones when compared to NCAA (and Madden). Look at all the features, animations and graphical aspects of the game in comparison to Backbreaker.
The game was barebone because it was meant to show off the Euphoria engine (I believe). The fact is, Backbreakers major flaws were concerned with design choices, like giving the game arcade graphics, bad camera angle and analouge passing, but other than that the gameplay was superb.

Quote:
Backbreaker sells the Euphoria engine. NCAA sells college football, and everything about it. You think the memory in-game for NCAA could handle the Euphoria engine, along with every feature, pre-game, game mode, and every other small feature in the game?
Have you looked at Battlefield 3, that has to handle amazing graphics and what looks to be true top notch battlefield gameplay, and that is being put on the same disk.

Quote:
I doubt EA will take on the Euphoria engine, mainly because they're a top company and they've built on taking chances and making a name for itself. They'll probably have they're own animation engine for the next-gen consoles, and those aren't due for another 2-3 years.
This is most likely true, and probably won't hurt EA either due to the exclusiveness of the deals they have with the NFL and (did they renew with the NCAA). If not that might actually hurt them.

# 275 Ronnie brown23 @ 06/24/11 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
The game was barebone because it was
Have you looked at Battlefield 3, that has to handle amazing graphics and what looks to be true top notch battlefield gameplay, and that is being put on the same disk.
you do realize that 99% of the Battlefield 3 footage is from PC. which can do far more graphically and still play at a smooth 60 fps at the sametime. this generation of consoles cant do that.

# 276 mike24forever @ 06/24/11 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickm10
for the tuner pack they need to add primary shoe change color mouth pieces eye paint helmets pop off when you get hit and tattoes on players short dreads hang out of helmet in braids hang out of helmet and long hair.mor they need dynasty disciplen cbs abc espnu telivision instead of always espn. change hair color.
This is why new members should not be allowed to post more then 1 post per day for a period time, at which time a mod can increase their posting limits. Unbelievable!!!

# 277 patsfan1993 @ 06/24/11 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms24forever
This is why new members should not be allowed to post more then 1 post per day for a period time, at which time a mod can increase their posting limits. Unbelievable!!!
Can we put this to a vote? This would clean up a bunch of crap.

# 278 Kaiser Wilhelm @ 06/24/11 10:11 PM
Quote:
I'm not even considering NCAA's gameplay, just how much goes into the games.
Gameplay is everything! What good is a game that doesn't play correctly, and also has major flaws in in flagship feature (dynasty roster bugs and tendency to create extremes at bothe the top and bottom) that make playing the game from a stratagy perspective annoying.

Quote:
No. Just no. I played Backbreaker, and gameplay is average at best. Mario running is a no-no, and I'm not a fan of being thrown around like a rag-doll EVERY play. Those graphics are there to stay because the Euphoria engine takes up most of the memory, coupled with the fact that they probably don't have much of a budget. And Backbreaker wasn't meant to show off Euphoria; GTA 4 had it as well. It was meant to show (apparently) how realistic gameplay could be. IMO it isn't very realistic.
I played BB too, and in my opinion many of the issues came from the design choices. The other issues, such as the rag-doll issue...eh, you got me there.

Quote:
Yes, but consider that the engine was optimized FOR Battlefield 3. Also, consider that the only thing the system/disc is running is the gameplay, and everything that interacts with it. (Basically, like running only the on-the-field parts of Madden/NCAA.) They don't have to worry about things like stat overlays, rosters, things interacting on field randomly, etc. We wouldn't want a situation where a game lags out of the box because too much is in it.
So What is stopping EA from making an engine optimized for this game. The current engine is clearly dated (cant really speak in a definitive but based off what I see in other games it seems either old or just not up to snuff). The other issues you mention, well I'm not asking for BF3 graphics, I'm content with NCAA 09 graphics if it means I can really feel like my players are playing football in this universe.

Quote:
ALSO, remember, that engine was made by EA, which I'm pretty sure EA will make an animation engine for it's sports games in the future.
I believe the engine was made by Dice, which (if I am not mistaken) works as an autonomous development studio under EA. Might be wrong there but that is how things seem.

Quote:
I don't think it will hurt EA, short term, even if they don't retain exclusivity. No one is prepared to put out a yearly college football game to threaten EA's sales, and I doubt 2K is willing to pay for a license. They still have to worry about EA's return to basketball, which I think will be a success.
I dont think so either, but it is a possibility. Also I hope EA makes a good BBall game, healthy competition can only benefit the consumer. I think 2k needs to get into the CHoops action again though.

# 279 mrprice33 @ 06/24/11 11:05 PM
Lot of people in this thread putting out a lot of misinformation.

NCAA/Madden doesn't have Euphoria not because of disk space, but because EA can't (or won't) figure out how to properly implement it into the game. At this point, it would take years to implement a full physics system into a game as complicated on the field as NCAA. The scripting, AI routines, and animations far outpace what happens in the moment to moment of an FPS. Additionally, the physics in those games are limited to things such as buildings and death animations. Here, you have potentially 22 separate entities having to be able to interact realistically at the same time. The comparison isn't valid.

At this point, we're way too late in the console cycle to justify the amount of money that would be put into developing a system like this for NCAA/Madden. The return on investment just wouldn't be there.

With regards to shotgun running, the main issues IMO in 11 were a couple of things.

1) The actual animation was way too slow. The defenders would get upfield by the time you made your read, and the transition (especially if the QB kept the ball) from the handoff animation to the running animation was too long. By the time you got going, the defenders were there.

2) The defenders read the play too well. It's pretty easy to destroy a zone read if 5 guys are swarming the exchange between the QB and RB. The blocking didn't hold up long enough, and the defenders did not respect the pass.

3) The blocking schemes and hole recognition (especially by the CPU RB). This has kinda been worked over in this thread. Basically, the play should be designed to get the DL moving one way or another, which doesn't really happen. The RB then has to read the hole properly. The first problem leads into the second.

True physics would fix the blocking problem (hopefully), but I don't think it would fix the AI (BB had terrible AI) nor the length of the animation/acceleration. Those are your fixes. Get the play moving a little faster (same with PA, QB's sometimes use quick looks, or stutter steps, or quick flicks with the wrist to sell PA, as opposed to the long, drawn out PA in the game now), and get the line moving, and shotgun running will work a lot better.

# 280 The JareBear @ 06/24/11 11:15 PM
Dang, lots of text flying around this thread now...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.