Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Back by popular demand!

In case you don't realize, the thread we all helped out on for NBA 2k11 was certainly used in fine tuning some details for the game. Let's get this party started for NBA 2k12.

Some rules:

This thread will focus on things such as the following:

Arenas
Player Faces
Player Accessories
Jersey Mistakes

Let's keep the topic focused in these areas. Compiling this information only benefits us.

Now to start and expand on something 2k added this year:

Buzzer beaters
There has to be better emotion out of things like this. You can see 2k put in a variety of fist pump animations and such and it was a great start. Before that, 2k10 had a rare few, including this one:

If you can't view the embedded video, click here. (SIDE NOTE: PLEASE have someone look at the flash player for your site. Embedding videos does not work with the code provided and you get the gray box as seen above)

We need more like this with players running to the other side of the court with the number one finger up or running and stopping and staring at the crowd.

Here is a GREAT reference video.

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

PAY ATTENTION TO THE CROWD!!

Add yours and we'll put them all in this post.

Player Specific
- Body Types - There need to be more body types in the game. Players like Duncan, Pierce and Glenn Big Baby Davis just don't look right chiseled. Examples:
Wiry - Skinny and long - Tayshaun Prince, Kevin Durant, George Hill
Normal - Undefined muscles - Tim Duncan, Paul Pierce, Anderson Varejao, Samuel Dalembert
Muscular - Very defined - Dwight Howard
Hefty - Big and bulky, a little "chunky" - Glenn Davis, DeJuan Blair

-Player faces in need of updates: Carmelo Anthony, Danny Granger, Matt Bonner, Andrew Bynum, George Hill, Andray Blatche, Javale McGee, Deron Williams, James Harden, Kendrick Perkins, Carlos Boozer, Bill Walker, Wilson Chandler, Joakim Noah, Luol Deng is bald, Andrew Bogut, Monta Ellis, Nick Young, Andrea Bargnani, David Lee,

Carlos Boozer - Signature motion after dunk, scream and head bob up/down
Wesley Matthews - Signature taunt after a three.

Tatoos - Wilson Chandler is in DIRE need of an update. References: 1, 2, 3, 4

Signature Shots - Bargnani and Calderon were changed by the 2k Insider over the course of the season to a better shot. PLEASE don't change it back to their sig's, which were actually off.

Accessories
-Calf Sleeves - Half size and Full size (There is a SLIGHT difference here. At first they look the same but HALF doesn't reach ankle and FULL does.) Don't forget the sleeve pads.
-Small Knee Pads
-BIG Knee braces - As seen on Duncan and Bosh.
-Adidas license - Especially Dwight Howards double arm braces. (We know it's a license issue - but get it anyway. )
-Elbow Bands - You have them below the elbow (probably b/c of graphical glitches). They go on the elbow. One thing you can do is take the arm sleeves and modify that. Less work and solves the problem quickly.
-Player warm up jackets - Randomly add them to players that come back to the bench after playing.
-Mouth guards
-Head bands - be able to position logo (front, angled L/R, Back) The NBA should be ok with this. If possible, try to sneak in upside down as well.
-Baller Bands - able to select two different colors
-Please make accessories specific to player's in-game injuries (SimBaller - this may require your help! )
-Oakley Goggles

Shoes
-Higher Res. shoes, please!
-Add more of 'em. 'nuff said. Even if it is through DLC!
Nike - Kobe Zoom 5/6, KD2/3, Air Max Fly By, Flight Lite 2010, Huarache 2010, Sharkley,
Adidas - Pro Model 2010, Infiltrate, Super Beast, Adizero Rose 1.5, Speedcut, Atitude MC's
Converse - EB3

Arena Specific
-Camera Angles! Create a camera angle setting called "Arena" and make it specific to that arena. Don't think your customers can't handle a slight change in angle - we can!
-New Orleans - Benches are reversed; Home is on the left, Visiting on the right (if you are facing the scorer's table)
-Verizon Center: Please fix the arena lighting. You guys have them playing in lights out lighting, and it's not the correct lighting used when watching their games on TV. The crowd should be very visible and the court lighting should be much brighter. The lighting you had in 2k10 was correct.
-Staples Center: Not dark enough on the crowd.
-MSG was very well done!
-Staples Center (Clippers) - Red needs to be more red. Looks more pinkish than red.
-Oracle Arena (Warriors) - Colors are off, especially the blue. Real life vs. In game.
-America Airlines Arena (Heat)

Jerseys
-Nets logo must be larger on the front (as opposed to this).
-The Raptors jerseys all have the maple leaf above the name on the back of the jersey now. In 2k11 it still only had the leaf on the black alternates. Ref. 1, 2, 3.

Other
-Pre-game shootaround in warmups
-Different gear on players during pre-game intro (Beats headphones, backpack, non-suit attire)
-Injury cut scene to the "tunnel"
-Injured players should get helped by at least one or two other teammates, not back away.
-Have the CPU send players to the scorers table for substitutions ... they always seem to run on the court in between FT's or during TO's.
-Different jersey fittings (tight, regular, loose)
-Accessory color selection right before tip-off (for players that wear "team specific" gear)
-Post game interview? Can make it just a cut scene as the announcers wrap up the game.
-Crowds wearing team-specific jerseys.
-Arena court "scuffs" as the season progresses.
-Players falling into fans and interacting with them
-Fans catching the ball and throwing it back when it goes out of bounds
-News from around the league during gameplay
-Other scores and stats from different games showing up in a ticker!
-CAP Tattoos need to be updated: Options for a sleeve, etc.
-Clear the bench on a game winner!

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 hoop xyience @ 06/26/11 12:39 AM
on the CHOOSE team screen there should be a option to chosse color on color accessories just like theres and option to choose with jerseys to pick... such as "white on white, black on black, team color 1 on team color 1, etc.... but I know you guys get my drift. There is nothing more tacky than a white head band with black/team color sleeve. it should be color on color or use the player choose...

I think madden has a feature where you can mix up the uniforms such as 80's pants with current jerseys...

So i think 2k can do this with there Accessories just to mix things up with the Sleeves, headbands, wristbands/forearm bands, and calf sleeves...

# 62 hoop xyience @ 06/26/11 12:54 AM
The create a player tattoos has to be upgraded...2k still have some of the tats from 2k8

more sleeve like tats...
we should be able to resize and move tats to different parts of the arm or the neck...
(Like the J.R Smith tat on his adam apple...The inner arm as well.
Deshawn Stevenson Face like tats...

CAP has not been updated in a while with full customization..im just saying

# 63 steinhauser34 @ 06/26/11 12:57 AM
different crowd reactions to different plays. the fans shouldn't all be standing up cheering for a three pointer in the first quarter of a meaning less game. I would like to be able to hear a difference between making a lay up or having a monster dunk over someone. check out the video of taj gibson on dwyane wade for a good example of this. Being able to see people in the crowd stand up or sit down would be nice, it doesn't matter if their fantastic graphics, it would just add more emotion to big plays and such.

# 64 truintellectplaya @ 06/26/11 01:19 AM
They need to beef up celebrations definitely. When a team makes a huge comeback, hits a buzzer beater, or even simply the playoff atmosphere could use some more excitement. There are some really good player models and some bad and that's not gonna change anytime soon. The game has so many camera angles to play on that I am not sure adding more is gonna solve anything. What could be added is some local commentary or an option for us to add looking commentary. Meaning if I could take some audio clips of the Hawks local commentators and upload it and use it instead of the normal group over and over that would be great.

In conclusion, they have momentum shots now they need to add momentum moments such as huge comebacks, buzzer beaters, etc. Playoff atmosphere could use another notch turning up. Also, if we could put out local commentators voices and commentary into the game by uploading it that would be great. Maybe create a commentator would be a good function also. If they can they should polish the player models even more but I am not so concerned with that because you will always be able to complain that some guys virtual representation does not visually represent him well enough.

Lastly, aren't the My Player and Jordan Challenge modes totally against trying to make the game as realistic as possible? Most people want to create a 7"7 version of Dwight Howard then whine about Dwight Howard not being as true to life as they would wish. The game will never be authentic enough for some and too true to life for some. NBA 2K is the best playing sports game on the market to me, now that there online play is getting there if they could catch there graphics up to the feeling you used to get from looking at MLB The Show's graphics before you got used to them this franchise would be even more untouchable.

# 65 Jakeness23 @ 06/26/11 01:28 AM
love the idea of players aging of the years, as long as its not done over the top

# 66 Canes305 @ 06/26/11 01:47 AM
Can I get REAL ARENA announcers instead of the generic ones?

# 67 youngfaze01 @ 06/26/11 02:10 AM
Can we please see these type of knee/calf sleeves in the game?? PLEASE!?

# 68 youngfaze01 @ 06/26/11 02:10 AM
These too.

# 69 youngfaze01 @ 06/26/11 02:24 AM
Melo and Ray Allen's faces need to be done over. IMO Melo's model was a lil bit too much on the slim side in 2k11. He's somewhat on the thicker side (No homo at all).
Good Example of Melo and Ray Allen:

# 70 scatman @ 06/26/11 03:22 AM
It's been a while since I been on this...but here are some things I really want to see in NBA2K12

1. Instead of 2 specific team colors, how about 3 or 4. In addition to standard black and white, have 3 (or 4 for teams like Denver who use the baby blue, gold and dark blue, or Memphis for the same colors, NO has the Gold, Teal & Purple, Utah has the Pine Green, Purple and Gold, OKC has the Orange, Gold, Photo Blue and Navy colors) or better yet, allow the user to choose the color palette for accessories.

2. While 2K has done a great job at adding accessories we want, somethings are still missing or just aren't done right. We know whats not done right (long/short calve sleeves with no socks shown, arm sleeves with no other arm accessories like baller bands shown). I would like to have an option to change the head band color palette. I want the option for rips face mask, eye goggles that amar'e wears and dwade wore for a bit. I definitely want to see the newer type knee pads players are wearing, elbow pads/sleeves too. Look this Amar'e pic from the playoffs, I want that!!!
http://www.sportsillustratedsnapshot.com/image/full/8972c8eb6c526c3ed51585997c6f8b02.jpg

3. Body types/frames have to...I repeat have to be redone. Brook Lopez has no definition whatsoever, but in 2K, can barely tell a difference between him and Amar'e.http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Amare+Stoudemire+New+Jersey+Nets+v+New+York+h9ezIv K7bRBl.jpg

4. Sneakers Sneakers Sneakers....This game has got to have more choices than they give us, especially from Nike and Adidas. Even if it cant ship with the game on release, have DLC that can keep the selections updated through out the season. And please allow for much more creativity with the shoes. If MLB the Show can have creativity on no name shoes, I know 2K can do better than that with brand names. Lastly, add more brands to the game, Li-Ning, Peak, Under Armor, etc. I know 2K can get these in the game if we can have an HP sponsored Halftime report, we should be able to get all the kicks we can handle and then some.

5. This may be an extension of the last one, but also have classic shoes. Classic teams would be great, but if not that, classic kicks are just as nice. Someone posted a nice list of classic kicks so here some of my favs just to reiterate the point
http://www.hardawayshoes.com/images/nike-afo/nike-air-foamposite-one-3.jpg
http://www.sneakerobsession.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/nike-air-more-uptempo-retro.jpg
http://premiumplusmagazine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/nike-air-max-uptempo-3-0.jpg
http://cdn2.soleredemption.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/nike-air-max-2-cb-94-610x441.jpg

6. Updated tats for players. Wilson Chandler is the first person to come to mind, dude still looks like a rookie in the game. Also, try and add a better selection of tats for created players. Leg tats too, can't believe thats been missing from this game forever. Get some tatted sleeves going, some ink that will show on around the collar area.

7. All in all, I just want the ability to outfit a player the EXACT same way that he would with what is available to him. Face Masks, Goggles, More finger band options (splints, single finger bands), Have double baller bands colors alternate (they shouldn't be the same color), make arm sleeves short enough to show wrist bands and baller bands, wrist tape, elbow bands (with the option to show a number on it), updated elbow and knee pads (current ones available to players look really nice) the padded arm sleeve has basically become this era's elbow pad, and the padded leg/knee sleevs long/short are starting to take over as well. Adding the bulky knee brace worn by Bynum, Bosh and CP3 earlier in the season would be real nice as well. Allowing us to place NBA logo on headbands where ever we want would be a big welcome too. Uniform fitting has been talked about, so I'll just throw it in here as well, unis should look more fitted than loose one todays players, and we should have adjustable shorts lengths.

When it comes to accessories, we can never have enough. To rip from EA, "If its in the game", I want it in my game. Please make it happen 2K.

# 71 dustay buchroia @ 06/26/11 03:23 AM
Please add this signature motion :

Jason Terry's JET

Dirk's One-legged fade away :

Deshawn Stevenson's 3 point celebration :

# 72 scatman @ 06/26/11 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman
It's been a while since I been on this...but here are some things I really want to see in NBA2K12

1. Instead of 2 specific team colors, how about 3 or 4. In addition to standard black and white, have 3 (or 4 for teams like Denver who use the baby blue, gold and dark blue, or Memphis for the same colors, NO has the Gold, Teal & Purple, Utah has the Pine Green, Purple and Gold, OKC has the Orange, Gold, Photo Blue and Navy colors) or better yet, allow the user to choose the color palette for accessories.

2. While 2K has done a great job at adding accessories we want, somethings are still missing or just aren't done right. We know whats not done right (long/short calve sleeves with no socks shown, arm sleeves with no other arm accessories like baller bands shown). I would like to have an option to change the head band color palette. I want the option for rips face mask, eye goggles that amar'e wears and dwade wore for a bit. I definitely want to see the newer type knee pads players are wearing, elbow pads/sleeves too. Look this Amar'e pic from the playoffs, I want that!!!
http://www.sportsillustratedsnapshot.com/image/full/8972c8eb6c526c3ed51585997c6f8b02.jpg

3. Body types/frames have to...I repeat have to be redone. Brook Lopez has no definition whatsoever, but in 2K, can barely tell a difference between him and Amar'e.http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Amare+Stoudemire+New+Jersey+Nets+v+New+York+h9ezIv K7bRBl.jpg

4. Sneakers Sneakers Sneakers....This game has got to have more choices than they give us, especially from Nike and Adidas. Even if it cant ship with the game on release, have DLC that can keep the selections updated through out the season. And please allow for much more creativity with the shoes. If MLB the Show can have creativity on no name shoes, I know 2K can do better than that with brand names. Lastly, add more brands to the game, Li-Ning, Peak, Under Armor, etc. I know 2K can get these in the game if we can have an HP sponsored Halftime report, we should be able to get all the kicks we can handle and then some.

5. This may be an extension of the last one, but also have classic shoes. Classic teams would be great, but if not that, classic kicks are just as nice. Someone posted a nice list of classic kicks so here some of my favs just to reiterate the point
http://www.hardawayshoes.com/images/nike-afo/nike-air-foamposite-one-3.jpg
http://www.sneakerobsession.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/nike-air-more-uptempo-retro.jpg
http://premiumplusmagazine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/nike-air-max-uptempo-3-0.jpg
http://cdn2.soleredemption.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/nike-air-max-2-cb-94-610x441.jpg

6. Updated tats for players. Wilson Chandler is the first person to come to mind, dude still looks like a rookie in the game. Also, try and add a better selection of tats for created players. Leg tats too, can't believe thats been missing from this game forever. Get some tatted sleeves going, some ink that will show on around the collar area.

7. All in all, I just want the ability to outfit a player the EXACT same way that he would with what is available to him. Face Masks, Goggles, More finger band options (splints, single finger bands), Have double baller bands colors alternate (they shouldn't be the same color), make arm sleeves short enough to show wrist bands and baller bands, wrist tape, elbow bands (with the option to show a number on it), updated elbow and knee pads (current ones available to players look really nice) the padded arm sleeve has basically become this era's elbow pad, and the padded leg/knee sleevs long/short are starting to take over as well. Adding the bulky knee brace worn by Bynum, Bosh and CP3 earlier in the season would be real nice as well. Allowing us to place NBA logo on headbands where ever we want would be a big welcome too. Uniform fitting has been talked about, so I'll just throw it in here as well, unis should look more fitted than loose one todays players, and we should have adjustable shorts lengths.

When it comes to accessories, we can never have enough. To rip from EA, "If its in the game", I want it in my game. Please make it happen 2K.
Adding to No. 1 for clarification in my last post, basically dont assign team colors, and just give us the option to choose colors as we see fit. For ex. Green week, most players/teams are wearing green accessories, Christmas they wore red/green accessories. I should essentially be able to give my team any color option no matter what color-way their uniforms go by.

Also this is a stretch, but get some more Uniform options. Can't understand why the 1996 Bulls pinstripe alternate was missing in 2K, the suns 90's unis, T-Mac Magic Unis, Raptors first unis, 76ers Iverson rookie unis, Vancouver 1995-1996 H/A throwbacks (best uni ever IMO), Pacers late 90's unis....I could be here all day listing what I want in this game.

# 73 BlueNGold @ 06/26/11 03:59 AM
Cleveland's "LeBron era" jerseys are messed up. The numbers on the front should be off-center, but in 2K11 they were centered for some reason.

Player-specific crowd reactions would be nice. I think they said the NBA took issue with it but they said the same about dynamic crowds and still got it in. Anyways, LeBron should be getting booed everywhere but Miami (and the boos should be ridiculous in Cleveland), Vince Carter should get booed in Toronto, etc.

Not sure if this one qualifies but when players get certain injuries that are playable and force them to limp up court, the limping is overdone and it takes them way too long to get up court.

Certain colors always seem to be off in 2K. The first example that comes to mind is the red in the Clippers court. It looks more pinkish than red.

Starting line-up intros for the home team would be great. They don't have to play every game, but every now and then would be cool. Have the lights dimmed, music playing, the PA announcer calling out the players, and all that good stuff.

Also I know Pared already mentioned it but improving the buzzer beater celebrations would be very nice and would probably be one of the most-wanted "little things" for me.

(side note: I know this one doesn't fall under this particular thread topic, but it would be totally cool if 2K could finally fix the video embedding. )

# 74 cashless @ 06/26/11 05:19 AM
Arenas
Put some more work into the arenas. As seen in the examples below;

- Crowd next to the player bench
- More photographers along the sideline
- Arena specific broadcast cameras. In order to differentiate the arenas, it would be cool if the camera at the TD Garden and Madison Square Garden is placed much higher than American Airlines Center's and The Staples Center's.

# 75 Jungorer @ 06/26/11 05:22 AM
I want to see some improvement on the mechanics/fluidity of players shots and there should be some various kinds of shots like when hes spotting up or making a jumpshot(ala paul pierce sig shot)

# 76 BlueNGold @ 06/26/11 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by H to the Oza
ughhh I dont care about authenticity I care about gameplay
Then don't post in this thread.

# 77 cashless @ 06/26/11 05:39 AM
Just applying team colors to shoes as a rule seems kinda lazy. Wee need more shoes, and more details concerning the color combinations.

# 78 jaosming @ 06/26/11 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashless
- Crowd next to the player bench
- More photographers along the sideline
I had this whole post ready to go explaining the same things with pictures, but your's is perfect. They need to have a lot more people on the baseline and corners of the courts.

When a player gets a serious injury in Association mode, the game should automatically assign a new accessory to that player. Either for the rest of the season or for the rest of his career if its a bad injury.

# 79 green94 @ 06/26/11 10:01 AM
Small one...

Have the CPU send players to the scorers table for substitutions ... they always seem to run on the court in between FT's or during TO's.

# 80 green94 @ 06/26/11 10:02 AM
Great post Cashless.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.