Home
MLB Bobblehead Pros News Post

Back at E3, I previewed MLB Bobblehead Pros and pretty much could not say enough nice things about it. Konami's Power Pros baseball franchise is beloved for all the right reasons, and this $10 XBLA arcade game seems to be just another way for more people to experience the franchise.

Many folks may have missed out on the series because it has mostly been known for being released on Nintendo platforms this generation, but it's a simulation baseball series that is hidden under a cartoon-like graphical facade. While this version is not quite as in-depth as some of the earlier retail versions of the game, it seems like there is still local co-op online, an edit player feature (although it seems to be locked when you first play the game), full 162-game season and create-a-team elements as well.

Some members here at Operation Sports have already picked up the title and have some nice things to say about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
And the game is incredibly realistic..I just started a season and the Pirates blasted the Cubs 8-5. The Cubs starting pitching was atrocious, and the they had 2 errors in the field. You can't ask a game to be anymore realistic than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan136
It is looking good, and it feels exactly like Power Pros. It's just as easy to play.
There is a demo for folks to try, and it appears more content will be coming to the game later in the summer. Some of the content coming at a later date includes a home run derby, as well as My Bobble mode, which seems like it will be some sort of career mode where you control one single player for a whole season. I doubt it will be as in depth as "The Life" mode found in other Power Pros games, but it would still be a welcomed addition regardless.

Lastly, while the Xbox Live Arcade version is the only one out right now, it seems like a PS3 version will be coming at a later date.

Game: MLB Bobblehead ProsReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 3 - View All
MLB Bobblehead Pros Videos
Member Comments
# 1 nunogomes @ 07/06/11 01:25 PM
So, we sould use this new thread and not the older one right?

A question to all the happy folks with the game:

- how are the difficulty settings? can we adjust the batting/pitching independently like we could in powerpros?

# 2 bluengold34_OS @ 07/06/11 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunogomes
So, we sould use this new thread and not the older one right?

A question to all the happy folks with the game:

- how are the difficulty settings? can we adjust the batting/pitching independently like we could in powerpros?
Yep, it mimics what Power Pros did as far as setting individual difficulty.

# 3 nunogomes @ 07/06/11 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
Yep, it mimics what Power Pros did as far as setting individual difficulty.
GREAT! Thanks bluengold34! Canīt wait to get my hands on the game!

Of course it will take a while since i live in europe and have a european xbox and account.

For all the EUROPEAN users who want the game:

You need to create a US account on your xbox (not that hard, google it and you will find it) and then you must buy US Microsoft Points, on any of the MANY online sites that sell them and add them to your US Xbox Account!!

NOTE: I havenīt done this YET (im at work) buy i was searching the web for the last couple of hours on this subject and this seems the way to go...

# 4 jyoung @ 07/06/11 01:52 PM
XBLA Power Pros is pretty good from playing the demo.

You can use any of the MLB teams, or you can create a team, then play a full season with them. Gameplay is just like the PS2/Wii games. Plus there is Xbox live play, looking at the menus.

Somehow the graphics and animations seem worse, though. Plus there is no commentary.

Definitely check out the demo if you liked the other Power Pro games or if you're a baseball fan. For only $10, there is a lot of depth and content.

# 5 Blzer @ 07/06/11 02:02 PM
This is just so sad that 2K isn't releasing this one on PSN. I would pay $40 for it.

EDIT: Oh, sounds like it's coming out later. That's great news! I highly await its release.

SECOND EDIT: No commentary? That's very, very sad to hear. It was one of the more pleasant things about MLB Power Pros.

# 6 philliesfan136 @ 07/06/11 02:11 PM
I have yet to find out what "MLB Bobblehead Battle Bonus" is..

# 7 philliesfan136 @ 07/06/11 02:12 PM
Hey, look at that, they used our compliments.. =)

# 8 philliesfan136 @ 07/06/11 02:15 PM
I have to say though, although I like the game, I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't have the depth of the older Power Pros.

# 9 falcons2003 @ 07/06/11 02:18 PM
Quote:
I have to say though, although I like the game, I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't have the depth of the older Power Pros.
I agree, but for the price and what you get it is a good deal. However, most of us would just pay full retail for a new version of a full retail game. The game has been gone for a few years, and luckily it came back, so I will take what we can get.

Granted,,,,I just don't know why they stop the series here,,,,it was starting to build momentum and a following.

# 10 ComfortablyLomb @ 07/06/11 02:18 PM
Pretty pumped that it's out. Any impressions from the folks who have bought it? Is it stripped down compared to Power Pros or is it basically the same game with some new player models (poor decision)? Does season mode have all the goodies that it had for the 2007/08 releases? Give me some info people!!!!!!

# 11 philliesfan136 @ 07/06/11 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb
Pretty pumped that it's out. Any impressions from the folks who have bought it? Is it stripped down compared to Power Pros or is it basically the same game with some new player models (poor decision)? Does season mode have all the goodies that it had for the 2007/08 releases? Give me some info people!!!!!!
Here's a thread that has some info as for the new game:
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/other-baseball-games/488040-os-e3-mlb-bobblehead-pros-preview.html

# 12 bryan_05 @ 07/06/11 02:20 PM
1. It's really irritating that the throw to base buttons and dive/jump/etc buttons are the same. Can I change this?
2. Can I change it so the ball cursor doesn't show up when I'm hitting?

# 13 philliesfan136 @ 07/06/11 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_05
1. It's really irritating that the throw to base buttons and dive/jump/etc buttons are the same. Can I change this?
2. Can I change it so the ball cursor doesn't show up when I'm hitting?
1. I don't know, it's annoying me too. I also don't like how my players just stand there and let the ball pass by them.
2.I'm not sure.

# 14 Evlmnky33 @ 07/06/11 02:26 PM
I picked it up this morning. It's not as smooth as the previous games. I played with default settings and I didn't see a way to adjust the difficulty. I had a fun game and won 8-7 but each team had 17+ hits. For 10 bucks and the ability to play online I'd say it's a good game.

# 15 bryan_05 @ 07/06/11 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlmnky33
I picked it up this morning. It's not as smooth as the previous games. I played with default settings and I didn't see a way to adjust the difficulty. I had a fun game and won 8-7 but each team had 17+ hits. For 10 bucks and the ability to play online I'd say it's a good game.
Start->Controller Setup-> then change the skill for each team

# 16 bluengold34_OS @ 07/06/11 02:33 PM
Quote:
Hey, look at that, they used our compliments.. =)
LOL...Thought that was pretty cool also.

Quote:
I think I convinced myself early on, that for $10, it was not going to have that depth. What I did want was......

Game play that mimicked Power Pros - Check

Depth of a season - Check

Decent rosters - Check

Have fun with it - Big check

So I am pretty happy with what I got for spending $10 on an arcade game.

# 17 philliesfan136 @ 07/06/11 02:35 PM
Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have expected it to have all the things the other Power Pros have.

# 18 jyoung @ 07/06/11 02:46 PM
I really wish there was some kind of alternate controls scheme for fielding. It sucks having dive and jump mapped to the same buttons as throws to first and second base.

Also, a lot of times your guy will also be right on top of a ball but somehow he doesn't pick it up.

Fielding definitely has some issues.

That said, there are some cool little details I've noticed:

You can hurt your player while diving!

I dove into the wall chasing down a home run and my player had to be taken out the game with an injury! Funny moment.

# 19 philliesfan136 @ 07/06/11 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
I really wish there was some kind of alternate controls scheme for fielding. It sucks having dive and jump mapped to the same buttons as throws to first and second base.

Also, a lot of times your guy will also be right on top of a ball but somehow he doesn't pick it up.

Fielding definitely has some issues.

That said, there are some cool little details I've noticed:

You can hurt your player while diving!

I dove into the wall chasing down a home run and my player had to be taken out the game with an injury! Funny moment.
I've had the same problems with fielding..

# 20 michfan16 @ 07/06/11 02:59 PM
Gameplay from pastapadre

« Previous1234567892223Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.