Home
MLB Bobblehead Pros News Post

Back at E3, I previewed MLB Bobblehead Pros and pretty much could not say enough nice things about it. Konami's Power Pros baseball franchise is beloved for all the right reasons, and this $10 XBLA arcade game seems to be just another way for more people to experience the franchise.

Many folks may have missed out on the series because it has mostly been known for being released on Nintendo platforms this generation, but it's a simulation baseball series that is hidden under a cartoon-like graphical facade. While this version is not quite as in-depth as some of the earlier retail versions of the game, it seems like there is still local co-op online, an edit player feature (although it seems to be locked when you first play the game), full 162-game season and create-a-team elements as well.

Some members here at Operation Sports have already picked up the title and have some nice things to say about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
And the game is incredibly realistic..I just started a season and the Pirates blasted the Cubs 8-5. The Cubs starting pitching was atrocious, and the they had 2 errors in the field. You can't ask a game to be anymore realistic than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan136
It is looking good, and it feels exactly like Power Pros. It's just as easy to play.
There is a demo for folks to try, and it appears more content will be coming to the game later in the summer. Some of the content coming at a later date includes a home run derby, as well as My Bobble mode, which seems like it will be some sort of career mode where you control one single player for a whole season. I doubt it will be as in depth as "The Life" mode found in other Power Pros games, but it would still be a welcomed addition regardless.

Lastly, while the Xbox Live Arcade version is the only one out right now, it seems like a PS3 version will be coming at a later date.

Game: MLB Bobblehead ProsReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 3 - View All
MLB Bobblehead Pros Videos
Member Comments
# 101 areobee401 @ 07/07/11 02:30 PM
Where is the option to change pitch speed? Do you mean change to pitching to all star?

# 102 Blzer @ 07/07/11 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
There is an option to turn off the early pitch locator for the CPU.
Perfect, thanks! Just waiting for this to release for PSN then.

Quote:
You can turn off the pitch indicator for yourself, but then you have no idea where you're aiming the ball in relation to the strike zone.

Bad idea in this game.
Well, most all baseball games offer this (and I use it). It allows me to intend to hit a certain location, but not necessarily paint it. I forget whether this was an option/if I turned it off on Power Pros.

Quote:
I'm not sure if there's a digital option for the hitting cursor. I haven't seen anything like that in the option menus. It seems purely analog.
If this is true, that's really a bummer. Like I said, it's kind of the only way I can hit in this game. I tried analog with Power Pros, and it just doesn't work well for me at all. Same goes for 2K's zone hitting option and The Show's PCI. Gone are the days of digital cursor hitting, I suppose (unless I can request them to patch it in, which I don't think I'd be able to get through to Konami).

# 103 jyoung @ 07/07/11 02:47 PM
Just threw a complete game shutout with Greinke!

Granted, it was against the Pirates......but I managed 6 strike outs and no walks.

Greinke's circle change up is just nasty with that 5-star rating. I really just used that pitch and his 3-star slider, with the occassional 2-star curve-ball.

Corey "Hitman" Hart leads the offense with two solo 2 HRs in the 6-0 stomping of Pittsburgh.

Maybe the teams I'm playing lately just really suck (Cubs, Pirates), or maybe it's time to up the difficulty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by areobee401
Where is the option to change pitch speed? Do you mean change to pitching to all star?
It's under season options ---> game settings. It says "pitch speed" or something like that. You just change it from "normal", which is default, to "fast," which is what I've been playing on.

# 104 ComfortablyLomb @ 07/07/11 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Well, most all baseball games offer this (and I use it). It allows me to intend to hit a certain location, but not necessarily paint it. I forget whether this was an option/if I turned it off on Power Pros.
I'm with you - it's the way to go in a game that otherwise allows almost pinpoint control.

Quote:
If this is true, that's really a bummer. Like I said, it's kind of the only way I can hit in this game. I tried analog with Power Pros, and it just doesn't work well for me at all. Same goes for 2K's zone hitting option and The Show's PCI. Gone are the days of digital cursor hitting, I suppose (unless I can request them to patch it in, which I don't think I'd be able to get through to Konami).
Definitely a bummer. Digital was much more responsive in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Greinke's circle change up is just nasty with that 5-star rating. I really just used that pitch and his 3-star slider, with the occassional 2-star curve-ball.
In one of the videos online that c-charge is very screwball-like. Totally nasty.

Quote:
Maybe the teams I'm playing lately just really suck (Cubs, Pirates), or maybe it's time to up the difficulty?
The way to find your level in a sports game like this is to up the difficulty until you get rocked then dial it back.

# 105 jyoung @ 07/07/11 03:00 PM
The circle change up breaks down and to the left. And since Greinke has the 5-star rating on it, the break is super sharp.

Very though pitch to hit when thrown low and in the dirt, which is what I was doing all game. His slider breaks to the right, so you just kind of alternate those two pitches depending on whether you're facing a righty/lefter batter, mixing in the occasional curveball.

The achievements in this game are crazy! Don't think I'll be getting any of them for a while.

# 106 jsou4646 @ 07/07/11 03:18 PM
I've had the most enjoyment playing this game over the other big 2 released this year, both of which I own. Plus the online play is a blast. You can actually take pitches due to to little amount of lag that is present.

# 107 boomhauertjs @ 07/07/11 03:30 PM
How long does a 9 inning game typically take? I miss the days of being able to crank out a full game in a 1/2 hour or so.

# 108 philliesfan136 @ 07/07/11 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauertjs
How long does a 9 inning game typically take? I miss the days of being able to crank out a full game in a 1/2 hour or so.
It goes pretty quick, I think, depending on if you're doing good or bad.

# 109 The Cleaner III @ 07/07/11 04:02 PM
Can anyone clearly answer the question of turning off the pitching cursor when batting against the CPU in season mode? It's too easy to hit when you can see where the pitch is going, even with the zig zag feature.

# 110 falcons2003 @ 07/07/11 04:29 PM
I thought it was going into the control setup of the CPU team and selecting "pitch cursor" to off, butI guess that doesnt work?

# 111 areobee401 @ 07/07/11 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauertjs
Takes anywhere between 25-35 minutes to finish a game.

# 112 areobee401 @ 07/07/11 04:51 PM
I may have to bump up the pitch speed to fast like some have suggested. My team batting average is .433 through 4 games. In total I've played roughly 12 games and have yet to hit a HR.

# 113 The Cleaner III @ 07/07/11 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcons2003
I thought it was going into the control setup of the CPU team and selecting "pitch cursor" to off, butI guess that doesnt work?
I tried to do this, but I must be doing something wrong. I don't know how to go into the CPU control setup. What am I missing?

# 114 jyoung @ 07/07/11 05:50 PM
Just played an online game against bluengold and it was real laggy.

We combined for 32 strike outs, Greinke with 19, Garza with 12, as the Brewers prevailed over the Cubs, 5 - 0.

Hitting was very tough with the lag. Just hitting a simple fastball was a pain, much less a 5-star breaking ball. Despite the lag, I somehow I managed to smack back-to-back bombs with Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder. I'm calling luck on both of those.

Still a fun game, lag and all. I wouldn't mind playing more online if others want to add me to their Xbox 360 friends list:

wEEman33 BSD

# 115 jyoung @ 07/07/11 05:57 PM
Quote:
This works fine.

It's actually good to get used to this if you plan to play online a lot, since they hide the pitch cursor of your opponent when you play online.

# 116 areobee401 @ 07/07/11 07:11 PM
I turned pitch speed up to fast and it seems to have effect the CPU ability to hit as well. Should you bump up CUP hitting too?

# 117 jyoung @ 07/07/11 09:04 PM
Dunno about that. I haven't noticed it having any effect on the CPU.

I'm going to start playing with the pitching cursor off for the CPU, in addition to fast pitch speed. That should make hitting even more difficult for me since it's still a bit of a home run fest for my power hitters.

This way I won't have to readjust my game when I play online, either, since it hides the pitching cursor in that mode.

# 118 falcons2003 @ 07/07/11 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cleaner III
I tried to do this, but I must be doing something wrong. I don't know how to go into the CPU control setup. What am I missing?
In exhbition mode. Before the game,,,you see lineups,,,it's a choice in the middle,,,controller setup,,,you can adjust your settings and difficulty the CPUS

# 119 Blzer @ 07/07/11 09:59 PM
Quote:
In exhbition mode. Before the game,,,you see lineups,,,it's a choice in the middle,,,controller setup,,,you can adjust your settings and difficulty the CPUS
Yes, but what about season mode? That's what he's asking.

What a killer if this is not available in season mode.

# 120 areobee401 @ 07/07/11 10:32 PM
Quote:
In season mode under options there will be an option called "Season Settings". Under defense you have the option to shut off pitching cursor and pitch type mark.

Hope that helps

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.