Home
Madden 12 News Post

Donny Moore recently announced four players in Madden NFL 12 rated at 99. Are they overrated? Who do you feel should be rated this high?

Quote:
It's official...The Four Highest Rated Players in Madden NFL 12 are Tom Brady, Troy Polamalu, Antonio Gates, & Darrelle Revis all at 99 OVR

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Tokyo-Night @ 07/18/11 11:01 PM
Troy and Revis? Are u kidding me........?

WAY Over rated.

Reed and Lewis Should also be 99 if Troy and Revis are.
But no love for the purple and black.

# 42 mmorg @ 07/18/11 11:04 PM
3 of those 99 overall players are not like the other.

# 43 iAM-IncReDiBLe- @ 07/18/11 11:07 PM
Based off last year Revis shouldn't be a 99ovr an Troy shouldn't either. Troy was a bum in the superbowl.

# 44 bigsmallwood @ 07/18/11 11:08 PM
Brady OVERRATED! Should be rated a 94, Troy Polamalu 99, Gates should be a 89, Revis 99!

# 45 kwabalicious @ 07/18/11 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMaster B
Brady? Who won the Superbowl? Rodgers should be a 99.
I hate this argument. That's like saying everybody on the Packers should be a 99. Should Rex Grossman have been a 99 if the Bears won the Superbowl a few years ago? Should Big Ben have been a 99 in Madden 07?

Back on topic, I'm glad to see Troy finally got the 99 rating that he deserved last year. Antonio Gates is iffy though, because you need a tight end to block, and he doesn't do that. Revis and Brady fully deserve it in my opinion though.

# 46 iBlievN5 @ 07/18/11 11:48 PM
I don't see how you can rate Brady a 99 after that last playoff game vs the Jets, he, nay the whole Patriots organization was had in that game, and Brady showed what he'd been all year, a small ball ball control QB. Not saying he's not amazing but 99 when Peyton "Put Da Team on His Back Tho" Manning gets a 98. Polomalu is overrated, sure he's impactful in every phase but, if 99 is that special, i'll have to say no. everyone else was good though.

# 47 ccoaxum @ 07/18/11 11:53 PM
They all are good players but i dnt think any of needs to be 99 rating, they all had a weak spot in there games this past season. Gates i really dnt knw why he even wld be that high, Troy didn't have good year to me to be high, Revis played hurt and to me didn't have a 99 rating. Last Madden had some RBs in 99...dnt see any this time that is a shocker but i really think every one in the NFL did not play good enough last season to have a 99 rating in madden..just my thoughts tho but like everyone has said already once your in the 90's rating you can just start nip picking and overall ratings really don't mean anything in madden videogames. it is about the important features for each position. ex(rbs(speed,truck, carries) wr(speed,routes,catch, maybe jump), qbs(throw prower, accurancy, throw on the run, and speed if you want a running qb) i can go on but i think a smart person knw what i'm trying to say.

# 48 xylocaine @ 07/18/11 11:58 PM
Revis and Gates definitely shouldn't be 99.

I just hope that speed doesn't trump every other ability like other past year madden games. For example I'd rather have a WR rated 69 ovr that had a 95 speed and 98 accleration over a 90 ovr player with 84 speed and 90 accel.

# 49 ccoaxum @ 07/19/11 12:02 AM
lol and thats part of my point...ovr is point less because of the certain attributes have more importance to the madden videogame when it comes down to it

# 50 WestCoastShibby @ 07/19/11 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0M0mentum09
Ware is snubbed again. Witten is somehow lower than Gates? (to anyone not in the know click the link)

http://tiny.cc/WittenVsGates
One season's stats is what you have to a ridiculous claim that Whitten is better than Antonio? You must be a gigantic homer or just not really pay attention to football enough to recognize talent.

I'm a Charger fan sure, but Gates is still behind Gonzalez.

1) Tony Gonzalez
2) Antonio Gates
3) Chris Cooley
4) Jason Whitten
5) Owen Daniels

# 51 WestCoastShibby @ 07/19/11 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
They're all overrated -- Gates, especially, until he becomes a complete TE and blocks, shouldn't be close to 99. Although, I'm not too concerned that there are only 4 99s, it's that there are probably dozens more 98s and 97s.

What happened to the shift to lower overall ratings we were supposed to get a few years ago? I mean, really, how many perfect players has the NFL ever seen?
Yeah...because Tony Gonzalez is suuuuuuuch a great blocker. Oh wait...he isn't? Hmmm....

# 52 WestCoastShibby @ 07/19/11 12:31 AM
Quote:
Donny rates by TD's Witten's 90 catch rating is a joke! Vernon Davis has even said Witten has the best hands of any WR/TE in the entire league. Witten is also the only TE with a shot at Tony Gonzalez all time TE catch record.

At the end of the day Donny obsesses over athletic TE's (see Jermichael FInley's premature rise and the fact that Vernon Davis is still in the high 90's along with Gates being a 99) he also seems to rate strictly on TD's?

This hurts a player like Witten whom in his system is blocking in the redzone. Donny disappoints yet again by giving Gates a 99 based purely off of speculation.
If Vernon Davis said it, it must be true...lol

# 53 WestCoastShibby @ 07/19/11 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiedizzle
Nnamdi -

8 catches
30 attempts
137 yards
0 TDs

Revis -

28 catches
57 attempts
350 yards
4 TDs

revis and not Nnamdi is a joke! Must be caught up in the media hype of "revis Island" instead of actually paying attention.
Agreed man.

# 54 Senator Palmer @ 07/19/11 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastShibby
Yeah...because Tony Gonzalez is suuuuuuuch a great blocker. Oh wait...he isn't? Hmmm....
Who's arguing for Tony Gonzalez to be 99?

A 99 player should execute every aspect of his position at the highest level. Gates is probably the best receiving TE going today, he doesn't execute every aspect of the TE position at the highest level and that's not really in question.

If this debate were taking place 15 years ago, I would argue against Deion Sanders being a 99 overall by virtue of his tackling, although he's definitely be 99 worth as far as man coverage, speed agility, etc.

# 55 WestCoastShibby @ 07/19/11 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Who's arguing for Tony Gonzalez to be 99?

A 99 player should execute every aspect of his position at the highest level. Gates is probably the best receiving TE going today, he doesn't execute every aspect of the TE position at the highest level and that's not really in question.

If this debate were taking place 15 years ago, I would argue against Deion Sanders being a 99 overall by virtue of his tackling, although he's definitely be 99 worth as far as man coverage, speed agility, etc.
I'll give you that definitely. I'm also not necessarily arguing Gates should be 99 lol. I think we're on the same page on that. My bad

# 56 RayLenearl @ 07/19/11 12:40 AM
I think all 4 players deserve their 99's but they should've also included Andre Johnson, Ed Reed, Nnamdi, & Peyton Manning. Phillip Rivers shouldn't be rated any lower than a 97. You see what he did last year with damn near all his Receivers out with injuries? Ridiculous!

# 57 ANDROMADA 1 @ 07/19/11 01:37 AM
Quote:
I'm just saying Witten's catch should be in the high 90's not a flat 90. I will agree Gates is slightly better (athleticism) but Witten is a better route runner, has better hands and possibly is a better blocker. I'm just saying based off last seasons stats you can't really give either one of them the edge, they're apple's and oranges. I'd say 97-98 Witten and 98 Gates would be fair.

Now anyone care to explain why Ware hasn't earned the "coveted" 99 OVR rating as of yet?
Ware should probably be around 97 or so. I'm sure he is up there. And I would rather have Witten over Gates, easily.

# 58 ANDROMADA 1 @ 07/19/11 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysouljah
I'm amused by the Antonio Gates vs. Witten debate here. I wish this debate happened in Week 12, before Gates finally stopped playing (after having suffered a severe foot injury since the start of the season!)... at that point, Gates was playing the best football from the TE position I have ever seen. I think hindsight is blinding people here. Gates was scary dominant those 10 games, even with the foot injury.

In 10 games, Gates had 10 TDs. (Witten had 9 in 16 games)
In 10 games, Gates had 3 100+ yard performances. (Witten had 1 in 16 games)
Gates had a career high 78.2 yards per game (Witten: 62.6)

More yards per game, more 100+ yard games where he simply took over games, and more TD's... and Gates did it in 6 LESS games! Are you kidding me?

And who were defenses worrying about against San Diego? No Vincent Jackson and all the receivers were injured half the time... Gates got all the defensive attention but it didn't matter.

Compare that to Witten who was practically given all the underneath stuff on a platter from defenses worrying about Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, and even Roy Williams.
Witten can block AND catch. The Cowboys played with a back up qb for most of the season. It was a hot mess in Dallas last year. Gates is good but not a complete player like Witten. Gates should be a 92 or something like that.

# 59 phillysouljah @ 07/19/11 02:22 AM
Quote:
Amused at the fact that Witten's 44 more catches again aren't mentioned. ALSO Jon Kitna was QBing this Cowboys team a majority of the year and threw Witten 8 of his 9 touchdowns!

So by your 6 less games argument. . . Miles Austin was deserving of being higher than Larry Fitz and Calvin because he put up more yards (than Fitz and Calvin) and 6 more td's than Calvin in 5 less games. Sooo Miles should have been a 96-98 OVR?
The fact that you resort to strawmen (who said anything about Miles Austin?) shows everyone on this board how weak your argument is.

And where do you get this Miles Austin stuff from? He played all 16 games last year. And had less yards than both and less TD's than Calvin Johnson.

Miles Austin: 1041 yards 7 TDs in 16 games
Larry Fitz: 1137 yards 6 TDs in 16 games
Calvin Johnson: 1120 yards 12 TDs in 15 games

So what the heck are you talking about with this irrelevant strawman?

# 60 phillysouljah @ 07/19/11 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDROMADA 1
Witten can block AND catch. The Cowboys played with a back up qb for most of the season. It was a hot mess in Dallas last year. Gates is good but not a complete player like Witten. Gates should be a 92 or something like that.
Witten performed better with the backup. Check the gamelogs. He had only 365 yards and 2 TDs in the first 6 games with Romo under center.

Oh wait... I get it. I put two and two together. You're from Dallas and all these other Witten supporters and Gates detractors have Cowboys stuff as avatars and what not. Ah... silly homerism blinding the obvious.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.