Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Jordan Returns: 2K Sports Announces
Trio of NBA® 2K12 Covers Featuring Three NBA Icons

Michael Jordan, joined by Larry Bird and Magic Johnson,
to grace three unique artistic covers in celebration of NBA legacy

New York, NY – July 21, 2011 – 2K Sports announced today that NBA® 2K12, the next installment of the top-rated and best-selling NBA video game simulation franchise*, will offer three separate covers for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360®video game and entertainment system from Microsoft featuring three of the NBA’s greatest legends of all time, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson.

The new stylized NBA 2K12 covers are a unique, one-time departure from the traditional 2K Sports brand artwork, and will spotlight each legendary athlete on his famous team: the Chicago Bulls, Boston Celtics, and Los Angeles Lakers. The covers featuring Bird and Johnson will be available at launch in a limited quantity.

A new feat in sports gaming, this three-part collection extends the strong legacy established by NBA 2K11, which has sold-in more than 5 million units worldwide and garnered over 20 video game accolades, including 14 ‘Sports Game of the Year’ honors.

“Bringing Michael Jordan to the virtual hardwood last year was a huge success for NBA 2K11; however, we didn’t want to stop there,” said Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. “We’re bringing ‘His Airness’ back to the NBA 2K franchise as part of a multi-year extended partnership, along with two other legendary icons – Larry Bird and Magic Johnson – for a special cover athlete collection representing the NBA’s greatest heroes.”

The unprecedented, stylized artwork covers underscore 2K Sports’ passion for bringing fans authentic NBA basketball across generations, while celebrating the legacy of legendary hoops athletes, past and present.

The cover artwork for NBA 2K12 was created by Adam Larson of Adam&Co. Larson has created dynamic artwork for galleries, magazines and various product advertising campaigns. His work has received numerous honors, including the Kelly Awards, Cannes Lions, Clio Awards, and two primetime Emmy nominations

NBA 2K12 can now be pre-ordered from leading video game retailers nationwide, and will be available on October 4, 2011, for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360, Wii™ system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system and Windows PC.

NBA 2K12 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K12 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 STLRams @ 07/21/11 03:32 PM
Fellas this game will be great! For the couple of guys on here saying that they shouldn't put Jordan back in the game this year, I feel sorry for you for having that perspective. To have the GOD of the NBA back in a basketball game is great. Im hoping they have some interesting Jordan Challenges this year and new ones. The 91 Goldenstate Warriors team would be great, can't remember if Latrell Sprewell came in as a rookie to that team or not that year, but I remember that team being great. A Jordan Challenge I would like to see is the 92 Bulls vs the 92 Knicks playoff series when that Knicks team push Jordan and the Bulls to the limit and Jordan had that awsome game 7 against the 92Knicks - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PjqM...eature=related

# 162 Tengo Juego @ 07/21/11 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Which cover are you going to get?

I think I might get all 3.
I was kinda hoping it'd be a get what you get, kind of thing. It'd be cool of 2K to wrap the games in a foil to hide your cover. Almost like a pack of cards. But, maybe not everyone would be happy with this. So, maybe include inserts to interchange?

I would be perfectly happy with any of the 3.

# 163 GaryT531 @ 07/21/11 03:37 PM
nba elite has no right to even be mentioned in this thread since this is a thread about awesomeness and giving the fans what we want in our nba game. a jordan challenge from 97's first round vs a young exciting washington bullets team would be cool. maybe something from bird in the 86 ecf series that went 7 vs a loaded milwaukee bucks team...and idc what cover i get as long as i have the game, i def don't need all three

# 164 dal_hawk @ 07/21/11 03:40 PM
Should have had the backround for bryd and Magic glow to the matching color of their jersey. I don't think the red fog goes well with the green and yellow jerseys.

# 165 VDusen04 @ 07/21/11 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
Fellas this game will be great! For the couple of guys on here saying that they shouldn't put Jordan back in the game this year, I feel sorry for you for having that perspective. To have the GOD of the NBA back in a basketball game is great. Im hoping they have some interesting Jordan Challenges this year and new ones. The 91 Goldenstate Warriors team would be great, can't remember if Latrell Sprewell came in as a rookie to that team or not that year, but I remember that team being great. A Jordan Challenge I would like to see is the 92 Bulls vs the 92 Knicks playoff series when that Knicks team push Jordan and the Bulls to the limit and Jordan had that awsome game 7 against the 92Knicks - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PjqM...eature=related
'91 team was nasty anyway, but Spree wasn't around until '93.

# 166 STLRams @ 07/21/11 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
'91 team was nasty anyway, but Spree wasn't around until '93.

Your right Spree didn't come into the league till 93 after I sat here and thought about it, but yeah the RUNTMC 91 Warriors were nasty.

# 167 VDusen04 @ 07/21/11 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
Your right Spree didn't come into the league till 93 after I sat here and thought about it, but yeah the RUNTMC 91 Warriors were nasty.
Yessir, and I feel Sarunas Marciulionis should be worth a mention too, yeah? Also, if Kemp is back this year, it might be possible to pull off a cyber Lister Blister.

# 168 Quackjack29 @ 07/21/11 03:49 PM
PLEASE HAVE 90's HEAT WITH ZO AND TIMMY PLEEEEASE

# 169 WatchTheThrone @ 07/21/11 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntt26
Definitely going with the Jordan cover. How will they sell these different covers? Seems odd. How will the in-game title screen look since there are 3?

The design looks really cool - I really like it!
Most likely with the three of them doing the pose on the individual cover together.

# 170 VDusen04 @ 07/21/11 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchTheThrone
Most likely with the three of them doing the pose on the individual cover together.
Or, since it seems MJ is the "primary" cover (the other two being sold in limited supply), he may just have the main title screen.

# 171 sportjames23 @ 07/21/11 04:03 PM
If we can't get Barkley's 93 Suns, please give us the late 80's/pre-Barkley 90's Suns.

Also:

90-91 Pacers (for Chuck Person's shootout with Bird)
93-94 Pacers (for Reggie's breakout performance against the Knicks)
89-90 Spurs (Robinson's rookie year)
89-90 Sixers (Bump and Thump)
85-86 Rockets (Twin Towers)
86-87 Lakers (best Showtime Era Lakers team)
82-83 Sixers (Fo', Fo', Fo')
93-94 Rockets (Dream's first title)
94-95 Rockets (Glide gets his ring)
91-92 Knicks (pushed to Bulls to Game 7)
92-93 Knicks (oh, so close, but no cigar in falling to MJ's Bulls)

Along with all the classic teams from NBA 2K11 and the previously mention 90-91 Warriors team, which beat Robinson's Spurs and gave Magic's Lakers a hard time.

# 172 jeebs9 @ 07/21/11 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportjames23
If we can't get Barkley's 93 Suns, please give us the late 80's/pre-Barkley 90's Suns.

Also:

90-91 Pacers (for Chuck Person's shootout with Bird)
93-94 Pacers (for Reggie's breakout performance against the Knicks)
89-90 Spurs (Robinson's rookie year)
89-90 Sixers (Bump and Thump)
85-86 Rockets (Twin Towers)
86-87 Lakers (best Showtime Era Lakers team)
82-83 Sixers (Fo', Fo', Fo')
93-94 Rockets (Dream's first title)
94-95 Rockets (Glide gets his ring)
91-92 Knicks (pushed to Bulls to Game 7)
92-93 Knicks (oh, so close, but no cigar in falling to MJ's Bulls)

Along with all the classic teams from NBA 2K11 and the previously mention 90-91 Warriors team, which beat Robinson's Spurs and gave Magic's Lakers a hard time.
Like I just said in another thread. Those Suns teams are nothing if they can't sign Charles Barkley. He was suppose to be part of the Jordan Challenge in 2k11. But never signed up. People said because he didn't like Jordan. I heard a story because he didn't think he was good role model for kids. If they don't sign him. You won't get the any of those Sun teams.

# 173 DJ @ 07/21/11 04:10 PM
I said the only way I was buying 2K12 was if they put Magic Johnson on the cover. I cannot believe this is actually reality now. I'm salivating over the prospects of having 30 classic rosters in the game, allowing for a full-blown "old school" Association.

Great work, 2K!

# 174 MessenjahMatt @ 07/21/11 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by babythug23
Why are jordans accessories on the right side of his body?

# 175 RedSceptile @ 07/21/11 04:13 PM
*Screams like a teenage girl that just met Justin

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Seriously I almost cried.

# 176 Pared @ 07/21/11 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA885
Covers would've looked a lot better if Bird's background was green and Magic's purple.
I said the same exact damn thing.

# 177 KyotoCarl @ 07/21/11 04:14 PM
Quote:
Like I just said in another thread. Those Suns teams are nothing if they can't sign Charles Barkley. He was suppose to be part of the Jordan Challenge in 2k11. But never signed up. People said because he didn't like Jordan. I heard a story because he didn't think he was good role model for kids. If they don't sign him. You won't get the any of those Sun teams.
That's not the case really. He and Jordan are good friends in private, so that's no the reason. The thing about him saying he's not a good role model for kids was back in the 90's so that has nothing to do with the game.

The main reason why Jordan and Barkley haven't been in any games (except NBA Live 98 or 2000) is because some sort of contract that they have.

# 178 KyotoCarl @ 07/21/11 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by babythug23
Why are jordans accessories on the right side of his body?
If you had read the whole thread you would've seen that I've already talked about this. Like messenjahmatt said; it's a mirrored image.

# 179 VDusen04 @ 07/21/11 04:16 PM
Quote:
I know it's not exactly the same, but the cool part is that a very, very solid looking Charles Barkley can be created in create-a-player. So that'd be a nice workaround, if they only provided the sun blast uni's. . .

# 180 JWiLL02 @ 07/21/11 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandinDistress
From Kotaku.com

"A pre-order bonus could be a hint at what that might entail. Preorders will receive codes for two classic teams for use in the game, the 1990-1991 Golden State Warriors of Chris Mullin, Tim Hardaway and Mitch Richmond, and the 2000-2001 Sacramento Kings of Chris Webber, Vlade Divac and Jason Williams."

Sounds good to me!
!!!

Now I MUST pre-order.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.