Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

What are they going to do next? How are they going to top it next year? Who’s going to be on the NBA 2K12 cover?

These were all questions the basketball-gaming world was asking after the huge success that was NBA 2K11. Today, after an elaborate Twitter marketing scheme, one of those questions were answered. The cover athlete -- or should I say athletes -- were revealed for NBA 2K12.

Read More - Yet Another Jordan Comeback?

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 whizer17 @ 07/22/11 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSimCity
People would be up in arms if this was any other player besides MJ that had two covers in a row. That whole Iverson back to back to back cover thing won't fly in today's world, people would call it stale.
So now you are not only comparing MJ to Iverson but MJ, Bird, and Magic to him.

You just don't get it. Perhaps you should just stick to writing about Soccer as your avatar would suggest.

# 22 23 @ 07/22/11 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
On one hand, to reiterate, I love the cover choices this year. First, from a personal standpoint (because it seems to insinuate more classic work is to come). And second, from a logical standpoint, because it seems to be a sound choice to make given the lockout. It's just a fitting puzzle piece.

However, to be fair, there's always been issues in the NBA. The MJ edition could have just as well come with a gambling mode and the ability to call out your teammates during drills by manipulating the right bumper in conjunction with Y.

Or Magic Mode could feature draft picks who choose to play for only teams of their choice while eventually providing the opportunity for players to enter ultimatums to the front office to fire the coach or trade them.

Or in honor of the return of 80's basketball, "cocaine addiction" could be listed as a new injury.

And that's not to say the MJ's or anyone in the 80's were horrible people. Rather, I'm just saying players and stars who aren't perfect is nothing new. I feel sometimes, current generations get the brunt of accusations like this. The same accusations were there in the 90's too when Derrick Coleman was coming along. Each era has their issues.
you gotta do it more light hearted man lol

# 23 23 @ 07/22/11 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse512
LOL

Everything was hilarious, except the bolded part. Plus, the Spurs won 61 games and lost in the first-round not the 65 you claimed.

Even if 2K uses old footage and current players, as they did with 2K11, the marketability of Bird, Johnson and Jordan surpasses every current player in the NBA. They are considered the "holy trinity" of NBA basketball to many people around the world. Even I as die-hard Spur fan, but life-long Magic Johnson fan, am pumped to buy the Magic limited edition cover. They can do many creative things with their marketing and still not have Bird, Johnson or Jordan directly involved.

Yeah i know it wasnt 65...the whole post was an exxageration and a joke anyway... good one though, i knew it was coming lol

Also I agreew ith this post... I like the idea of keeping the interest of the classics fans while improving the gameplay which basically is for the entire game, current and classics.. why people are trying to seperate the 2 is silly

# 24 VDusen04 @ 07/22/11 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
you gotta do it more light hearted man lol
Yeah my bad there, man. I think my threat level is just set to "Guarded" right now with all the comparisons being thrown around of why one era is better than the next, yadda, yadda, yadda. It kind of renders my sarcasm meter useless.

# 25 Ziza9Noles94 @ 07/22/11 01:40 AM
3 of the greatest players to ever lace em up on the covers? What's not to love? Me likee.

# 26 23 @ 07/22/11 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Yeah my bad there, man. I think my threat level is just to "Guarded" right now with all the comparisons being thrown around of why one era is better than the next, yadda, yadda, yadda. It kind of renders my sarcasm meter useless.
I wouldnt pay it too much mind... the matter has been settled and come OCT 4th the same complainers will be playing the same exact game as the rest of us

# 27 btrapp @ 07/22/11 03:40 AM
Quote:
Everyone has their own opinions, feel free to share.

But the notion that "hey, MJ was a great cover last year, so let's do it again this year" from a marketing standpoint to me isn't very fresh.

People would be up in arms if this was any other player besides MJ that had two covers in a row. That whole Iverson back to back to back cover thing won't fly in today's world, people would call it stale.

To me, sequels are just never quite the original, especially when dealing with things of nostalgic value.
Actaully, if it was a cultural icon like iverson, i wouldn't have a problem with back to back to back covers at all. I think you maybe reading a little to much into a games cover. Asuming they somehow rested on their laurels (as if they have a history of doing that) is a huge assumption.

# 28 airjoca @ 07/22/11 06:10 AM
Rooney and Messi have been on the cover of FIFA and PES the last few years. I don't see the problem...

# 29 Galarius @ 07/22/11 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Just my observation it seems like their going to the well one more time instead of being innovative. But once info starts to be released hopefully sanity returns. Who cares about a cover. Nobody plays with the box(if you so you have some serious issues LOL).
i feel that expansion of classic teams is an innovation that all sports games need, so furthering this is definitely not being lazy...having both modern and classic teams is a great step forward

Hopefully one day we will see the 85 Bears vs the Niners, and so on

# 30 VDusen04 @ 07/22/11 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galarius
i feel that expansion of classic teams is an innovation that all sports games need, so furthering this is definitely not being lazy...having both modern and classic teams is a great step forward

Hopefully one day we will see the 85 Bears vs the Niners, and so on
NFL 2K5! (though without player likenesses. . .but editable)

Gameplay starts around 6:20

# 31 23 @ 07/22/11 11:23 AM
This is the 3rd time 2k has had a player on the cover multiple times

First it was AI then Shaq and now MJ

Whats the problem with that? Nothing really...

# 32 jd@os @ 07/22/11 12:50 PM
Quote:
Everyone has their own opinions, feel free to share.

But the notion that "hey, MJ was a great cover last year, so let's do it again this year" from a marketing standpoint to me isn't very fresh.

To me, sequels are just never quite the original, especially when dealing with things of nostalgic value.
And I respect your opinion. I hate guys over here that are jerks and I really don't want to be that guy. But to me, the cover athlete doesn't have to be fresh--gameplay has to be fresh. Remember back in the day on the Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo? It really did seem like there was little change from year to year but we bought the game anyway (ex: little change from Bulls vs Lakers and Bulls versus Blazers). That's the kind of stuff that doesn't fly nowadays. I would buy next year's game with little change to the cover WAAAAAY before I would buy next year's game with little change to gameplay, features, graphics, etc.

I assume I'm like most in that I look at the cover when I buy the game, then that's it--I'm focused on the actual game at that point. I guess some people wanted a new cover athlete so they could put the cover around their back, through their legs, bounce it off your eyebrow with some stupid Streetball trick, shoot it in a mini door-hanging hoop, and repeat. It's just a freakin' cover. It doesn't mean they are resting on their laurels; it means they might as well put MJ on it since they paid a gazillion dollars to sign him and historic teams will be in the game again.

And you're right about sequels; The Empire Strikes Back wasn't nearly as good as the one before it, Spiderman 2 was awful, and I don't think The Dark Knight made a lot at the box office. And the last two movies do have a lot to do with nostalgia.

# 33 KyotoCarl @ 07/22/11 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4

I want the Jordan cover but the only thing i dont like about it is the way the Jersey is disappearing and it looks like his number begins with a 3 because you can barely see the 2.
Sorry but that's the most nitpicky complaint I've ever heard
Shows you how much we 2K fans care about this franchise!

# 34 VDusen04 @ 07/22/11 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
Sorry but that's the most nitpicky complaint I've ever heard
Shows you how much we 2K fans care about this franchise!
I'd be lying if I didn't think the same thing though (not that I'm complaining). One thing I didn't notice the first time through is that apparently it's a mirrored image because his leg and arm bands are on the right side instead of the left.

# 35 23 @ 07/22/11 01:38 PM
Not sure why they mirrored MJ ...maybe it was on purpose because Magic and Bird are facing the opposite direction, which is the same way MJs original pic would've been...but it does look like he's the only one really melting LOL

# 36 KyotoCarl @ 07/22/11 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
well if we're talking about the cover you look at Jordan and you see a 3 where you'd think you'd see a 23. You can hardly see the 2. I dont think its that nitpicky that #23 isn't clearly visible on the man who made the number famous. And its my opinion on the one and pretty much only thing i dont like about the cover.
Of course it's nitpicking! But my comment wasn't meant as something negative.
At the same time the whole image is mirrored, but not alot of people have complained about that yet.

# 37 sportjames23 @ 07/22/11 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Marlowe
The NBA was at its peak from 1980-1998. Theses three guys, Jordan, Bird and Magic made that possible. People can feel free to argue about which eras they personally liked better but the NBA product being at its best during the Bird/Magic and Jordan eras isnt debatable. We have the data, we dont have to rely on opinion.
What this man said.

# 38 MoutonDocile @ 07/22/11 09:38 PM
I like all three covers. MJ could be on it for the next 100 years....as long as the game is fun, I won't care!

# 39 rockchisler @ 07/23/11 02:29 PM
Complaining about the cover seems very small, If the game is great fantastic, they could put a dirty penny on the cover and I will still buy it, But the old school players I love it..

# 40 Iscore4myLord @ 07/25/11 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadsas
Huge nonononono for Griffin, that dude plain sucks, unbelievably underrated and not exciting at all. Nice comparisement to VC - both somewhat suck, both are very athletic and both started at terrible teams. Plus, he doesn't have soul
did someone just say that a rookie that avg 20 and 10 in the NBA sucks? WOW

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.