Home
Madden 12 News Post

ESPN The Gamer has posted the Madden NFL 12 player ratings for the top 6 wide receivers in the game.

Andre Johnson: 97
Larry Fitzgerald: 96
Roddy White: 96
Reggie Wayne: 95
Calvin Johnson: 93
Greg Jennings: 93

Are there any changes you would like to see, or are they just about right?

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 bkrich83 @ 08/03/11 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJackRabbit
47 catches for 1057 yards with a 22.4 average per catch, that's what.

He also has taken 4 punt returns to the house in his three year career.

So he didn't catch 100 balls, big deal; he still got over 1000 yards receiving while missing two games.
And? The notion he gets game planned for or changes defenses more than the others on the list is quite simply false.

# 42 ConnSKINS26 @ 08/03/11 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
And? The notion he gets game planned for or changes defenses more than the others on the list is quite simply false.
Agreed.

And his hands are terribly inconsistent. He's afraid to go over the middle, and doesn't have the physique for it anyways. He's explosive as hell, but limited in comparison to actual top-5/10 guys.

Which is why I'll repeat that Wallace>Desean.

# 43 angels eclipse7 @ 08/03/11 10:08 PM
Quote:
Look at his yards per catch. He changes the way defenses play the Eagle's offense. Bubble screens, reverses, there's a lot to worry about with Jackson. I can't really say that about some of the other WRs on the list.
Good points. I think people overrate the YPC because people love big plays and all, but good points indeed. I still disagree with Jackson as a top 10 receiver though.

# 44 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 08/03/11 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo6911
Greg Jennings. Really? LOL

He had more TDs than Fitz, and only 96 less yards, despite the fact that he had 21 less grabs. The only reason Austin's numbers decreased is because Kitna can't throw more than 10 yards. I am not saying Miles Austin is a top 5 WR, but he is better than you are suggesting.
For what it's worth, I'm not sure Jennings should be rated as high as he is either, but comparing Austin and Fitz and saying Austin had just about the same numbers despite the fact that Austin had Kitna throwing to him must be some sort of a joke.

Kitna was nowhere near as bad as the collection of not-talent that Arizona had throwing the ball.

I don't think Jennings = Calvin Johnson, but at the same time, I don't really care about overall ratings as much as the actual ratings.

# 45 BlackJackRabbit @ 08/03/11 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnSKINS26
Agreed.

And his hands are terribly inconsistent. He's afraid to go over the middle, and doesn't have the physique for it anyways. He's explosive as hell, but limited in comparison to actual top-5/10 guys.

Which is why I'll repeat that Wallace>Desean.
I think the threat he poses in reverses and bubble screens, and what not, or that he can take a five yard reception and turn it in to a 91 yard TD makes up for him not going over the middle. None of the other receivers listed ( Johnson, Fitz, Roddy, Wayne, Jennings, or Megatron) are threats to do that.

Also, his hands aren't "terribly inconsistent." You're just reaching on that one.

# 46 bkrich83 @ 08/03/11 11:22 PM
Quote:
I think the threat he poses in reverses and bubble screens, and what not, or that he can take a five yard reception and turn it in to a 91 yard TD makes up for him not going over the middle. None of the other receivers listed ( Johnson, Fitz, Roddy, Wayne, Jennings, or Megatron) are threats to do that.

Also, his hands aren't "terribly inconsistent." You're just reaching on that one.
So he's reaching but saying those WR's aren't capable of turning a bubble screen or short pass in to a long gain isn't?

Ok.

# 47 BlackJackRabbit @ 08/03/11 11:38 PM
Quote:
LOL, no it isn't. defenses have to roll coverage to Jackson to try and prevent him from going over the top, and you have account for him on bubble screens, reverses, and the fact that he'll turn a slant or a hitch route into a touchdown.

And I didn't say every other receiver on the list, just some of them.

# 48 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 08/03/11 11:53 PM
Quote:

Ok, just looking from a year to year basis, Megatron has at least 3 catches of over 70 yards. Fitz has at least one. Andre has at least two with a bunch of 50-60 yarders too. Jennings has at least 4. DeSean has at least 2. Regardless, obviously all of them are explosive. Fitz is probably the least explosive, and if I recall correctly, he still had that huge play in the Super Bowl where he caught it over the middle and was just gone for what was almost the game winning touchdown.

Regarding the inconsistent hands, Fitzgerald was #4 last year in drop percentage (meaning he had some of the best hands in the league). Andre was #15. DeSean Jackson had THE WORST DROP PERCENTAGE IN THE NFL (meaning he dropped a higher percentage of his passes than any other WR).

Looking at catch rate, here's the numbers:

Fitzgerald: 52%
Jennings: 61%
Roddy White: 64%
Andre Johnson: 63%
Megatron: 57%
DeSean Jackson: 49%

Again, the worst percentage of all those guys, and looking at the list, here's the guys that are below 50% like DeSean:
Malcolm Floyd
Nate Washington
Randy Moss
Jacoby Ford
Mohammad Massaquoi
Lee Evans
Brandon LeFell
H. Douglas (ATL)
Jerricho Cotchery
Darius Heyward-Bey
Early Doucet
Laurent Robinson
Steve Smith (Carolina)

And the only guys from that list that are in both the bottom 10 in drop percentage and below 50% in catch percentage are: DeSean (dead last), Steve Smith (2nd worst), and Jerricho Cotchery (3rd worst).

The year prior, DeSean was at 53% catch percentage, and from 2008-2010, DeSean's drop percentage is 5th worst in the NFL, ahead of Braylon (widely known for his drops), Dwayne Bowe (same), T.O. (same), and Randy Moss (same). They're all good receivers, but they all seem to be big fans of butterfingers (or in Moss's case, just not giving a damn half the time).

# 49 ConnSKINS26 @ 08/03/11 11:56 PM
Quote:

I'm not reaching, it's a fact. He had the highest drop rate in the NFL last year, at 20%.

And if you want to see a "big play" receiver, I'll tell you again to go look up Mike Wallace. In his 2nd year he was already what DJax fans wish he could be, and pretend that he is.

# 50 bkrich83 @ 08/04/11 12:42 AM
Quote:
LOL, no it isn't. defenses have to roll coverage to Jackson to try and prevent him from going over the top, and you have account for him on bubble screens, reverses, and the fact that he'll turn a slant or a hitch route into a touchdown.

And I didn't say every other receiver on the list, just some of them.
Yeah, and with that, enough said. Everyone thinks they know coverages and how teams play individual players. Off to ignore.

I guess his being that explosive explains why he averages a whopping 6.6 TD's a year over his career. that's receiving and rushing.

He's explosive and he's a fine player, but let's try to keep the gross overrating and overstating of things under control.

# 51 at23steelers @ 08/04/11 12:43 AM
@YeahthatGuy: Are you sure Fitzy's is only 52%. How would his be 4th best and Desean's the worst at 49%?

# 52 bkrich83 @ 08/04/11 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
@YeahthatGuy: Are you sure Fitzy's is only 52%. How would his be 4th best and Desean's the worst at 49%?
Fitz's catch rate was 52%.. But he only had 4 drops in 173 targets. Which tells me that's more on the Arizona QB's.

DeSean Jackson for example was 49% but he had 6 drops in just 90 targets.

Djax is a playmaker, and he's a home run threat, but he's not a Top tier all around WR. He's simply not. Plus he's like he was at Cal, hit him a few times, and he's done for the day.

# 53 ConnSKINS26 @ 08/04/11 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
Those percentages are CATCH RATE. Fitz is 4th best in drop rate. Two totally different statistics.

For instance, Desean has a 49% catch rate, which is bad, but a 20% drop rate, which is abysmal. Fitz catch rate for 2010 was low at 52% because he was showered with targets from terrible QB's.

# 54 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 08/04/11 01:06 AM
Quote:
Fitz's catch rate was 52%.. But he only had 4 drops in 173 targets. Which tells me that's more on the Arizona QB's.

DeSean Jackson for example was 49% but he had 6 drops in just 90 targets.

Djax is a playmaker, and he's a home run threat, but he's not a Top tier all around WR. He's simply not. Plus he's like he was at Cal, hit him a few times, and he's done for the day.
Quote:
Those percentages are CATCH RATE. Fitz is 4th best in drop rate. Two totally different statistics.

For instance, Desean has a 49% catch rate, which is bad, but a 20% drop rate, which is abysmal. Fitz catch rate for 2010 was low at 52% because he was showered with targets from terrible QB's.
You guys seem to have this under control lol

# 55 at23steelers @ 08/04/11 01:11 AM
Quote:

So, catch rate is how many catches out of how many were passes were thrown his way? Drop rate is based on the # of drops compared to how many catches they have?

Btw, Mike Wallace still has a long way to go, but last year started to show a willing to run shorter routes in the middle of the field. Mike Tomlin doesn't call him a one trick pony anymore!! I would rate him and Desean Jackson around an 88 overall. Maybe, an 89 to Mike and an 88 to Desean, but very close.

Compared to Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace has the better hands while Holmes is the better route runner. I would think an 88-90 overall to Holmes is fair.

# 56 illwill10 @ 08/04/11 01:18 AM
Quote:
I 100% agree
I think if Maclin reaches his full potential than he could be a better WR than Jackson. Jackson is more of a 3-5(maybe 6) catch per game than a 6-10 catch guy, but he will AVG more than 18 yards per catch.In a WCO where alot of the passes are quick, unless he gets off the line/get open quickly he wont get the ball alot. He is not the type too make alot of tough catches in traffic or get off line off of great press CB. I seen alot of Eagles games where he might of had a few big plays, but most of the game he would disappear. He doesnt dominate an entire game. He would get a "No High Motor" trait

# 57 Raw Energy @ 08/04/11 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronrodgers012
IMO Greg Jennings should be above Calvin as far as overall is concerned. No doubt Calvin is the better physical specimen but Jennings dominates him stats wise. He had just as many catches and touchdowns and had more yards. You could say that Johnson had no QB mos of the season but I would counter that by saying Rodgers missed piratically 2 games and Jennings has more receiving talent around him than Calvin does in Detroit leading to less targets. Throw in that hes a number one receiver on a super bowl championship team, caught 31 receptions for 301 yards and 2 TDs in the postseason (4 for 64 and 2 TDs in the superbowl) and he should be ahead of Johnson who hasnt been that dominant considering the physical tools. Calvin is really being rated off of his potential and draft status here. Hes ag reat player but the stats dont lie.

I also feel Roddy White should be above Larry Fitzgerald. Though Larry is a great receiver so is White and Roddy blew Fitzgeralds numbers out of the water. Roddy even plays in a run first system and even when Fitz was in a pass first system he couldnt do what White did.

I would put Andre Johnson at 98, Roddy White at 97, Larry Fitzgerald at 96, Reggie Wayne at 95, Greg Jennings at 94, and Calvin Johnson at 93. They really need to stretch these top tier players ratings a bit. I know theres a curve when you enter the 90s and they should really separate the greatest and the great receivers in the league.
Your wrong buddy Roddy white isn't the 2nd best receiver in the league. Like it was in the top 100.
1 Johnson
2 fitzgerald
3 megatron
4 marshall
5 white
6 wayne
7 jennings

Roddy plays in a run first system but they still throw as much as the cardinals.
Cardinals couldn't establish a running game so you got no choice but to throw to Fitzgerald.

Johnson is more dominant than jennings. When you have Rodgers as your QB and the offensive talent of course he is going to get the stats. I'm a jennings fan however let's be serious he isn't a top 5 WR. Look at top 100 they had majority of the WR picks right.

Don't forget marshall he a stud soon as he get a decent qb his numbers will go up.

Wayne as the luxury of playing with Manning in a pass happy offense so of course he will get stats.

# 58 MrMosinNagant @ 08/04/11 02:26 AM
The fact that Desean Jackson is being mentioned in this thread makes him a top 10 or top 5 receiver, hes far from a glorified punt returner btw, he's a WR first and a punt returner second.

# 59 FedExPope @ 08/04/11 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
The most dangerous WR in the NFL needs to have more than 50 receptions and more than 6 TDs. That's not dangerous. Roddy White is dangerous. Apollo Creed is dangerous!
Hmm? Of course he's dangerous! 22.5 yards per catch. 47 rec, 1056 yards. Keep in mind the other weapons on the offense. He's not a high volume catcher, and he has a lot of games where he catches 2 or 3 or 4 passes but he gets 50, 60 yards or more out of them. He's perfect for that offense.

Well really he's perfect for any offense which I would say puts him in the top 10. Glorified kick returner is as ridiculous a statement as I've heard in a while, lets be real here. And we're now questioning Greg Jennings' place? 1. I think we're arguing just to argue in this case and 2. Are we all watching the same NFL here?

# 60 bmj2k7 @ 08/04/11 02:44 AM
1 Johnson 2 fitzgerald 3 megatron 4 marshall 5 white 6 wayne 7 welker 8 v jackson 9 bowe 10 rice maybe could put jennings here, and i see so many putting stats as a refernce well qb helps a lot, and jordan shipley owned everyone in the superbowl and i almost forgot that jennings was on there team bc the superbowl will be known as the shipley show, jennings had to be wide open to get the ball for most of his 4 catches, 1 wide open td pass, 1 wide open crtical 1st down late in the game, the only one he had where someone was near here was the td catch where he was hit by polomalu, everything else was jordan shipley this, jordan shipley that, i swear thats the only guy that caught a pass from rodgers, and when rodgers missed or he had a drop they stalled bc shipley wasnt doing everything, it was like jennings was there for the ride and not taking the show over like a top 6 wr like madden has him

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.