Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

In looking over the NBA 2K12 details from Gamestop, it looks like we'll see over 1,000 new animations and building off of NBA Today, more graphical details with dynamic updates.

Quote:
With over 5 million copies sold worldwide and over 20 Sports Game of Year awards, last year NBA 2K11 allowed you to BECOME THE GREATEST with MJ & the Jordan Challenge mode. This year the NBA 2K franchise is back and bigger than ever, providing fans with the opportunity they've always dreamed of - to finally END THE DEBATE as to who are the best teams and players of all time with the ALL-NEW NBA's Greatest mode. Featuring 15 legendary players such as Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and Dr. J, NBA's Greatest let you relive some of NBA's most celebrated careers and rivalries, painstakingly recreated in historical detail. In addition, several innovative gameplay features have been added putting fans center court of an unprecedented basketball experience.
NBA 2K12 will ship with one of the three following cover athlete's images: Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird. Cover will be chosen at random as the game ships.
  • NBA's Greatest - Experience 15 of the NBA's most celebrated careers and rivalries, painstakingly recreated in historic detail. Featuring such legends as Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Dr. J, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and more.
  • Most Accurate NBA 2K Game Ever - Building off NBA Today's real-time stats, rosters, schedules and ratings, NBA 2K12 now delivers the most visually accurate NBA game as well. From shoes to player models and even court floors - every graphic detail of the game can now be dynamically updated. Broadcast style gets a boost as well with player interstitials promoting their upcoming games and dynamic pre-game highlight reels set to 2K Beats music.
  • Enhanced Gameplay - NBA 2K12 adds +1,000 new animations this year and delivers all-new control mechanics for post play and ball control to make the game more intuitive to play than ever before.
  • MORE MAJOR FEATURES TO BE ANNOUNCED LATER

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 TreyIM2 @ 08/07/11 10:09 AM
"...and delivers all-new control mechanics for post play and ball control to make the game more intuitive to play than ever before."

The above highlighted is my concern. I need more details because the overall info just seemed like a piling on of more icing, as usual, for NBA2K with just a smidge gameplay talk.

# 42 coolcras7 @ 08/07/11 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dochalladay32
This. It looks so awkward when you try to make a player move up the court at a slower pace. Not every player bolts downcourt in 3 seconds.
Mike confirmed weeks ago that this was added back into 2k12.

# 43 blues rocker @ 08/07/11 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwadefan
Enhanced Gameplay - NBA 2K12 adds +1,000 new animations this year and delivers all-new control mechanics for post play and ball control to make the game more intuitive to play than ever before.
not sure i like the sound of this...looks like 2k may have gone and messed with the game too much...i liked the R2=L2 post up mechanic....and i loved the dribble control and control scheme...from reading this it looks like they're trying to dumb down the dribbling or something...i fear 2k may have tinkered with stuff that didn't need tinkering, and thus tinkered the game into something less that 2k11.

i guess we'll find out soon enough

# 44 KyotoCarl @ 08/07/11 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
not sure i like the sound of this...looks like 2k may have gone and messed with the game too much...i liked the R2=L2 post up mechanic....and i loved the dribble control and control scheme...from reading this it looks like they're trying to dumb down the dribbling or something...but i fear 2k may have tinkered with stuff that didn't need tinkering, and thus tinkered the game into something less that 2k11.

Nothing in that paragraph you quoted leads you to believe that they have dumbed down the controls.

It's good that they're just no saying "this is good enough". Things can always get better. This is just things that will be written on the box to get people to buy the game, it doesn't mean that they've radically changed and broke the control scheme.

# 45 videobastard @ 08/07/11 01:31 PM
If 2k could cut down on the suction animations i would be more hyped.

# 46 da ThRONe @ 08/07/11 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBeach
Of those 1,000 new animations, I, like many others, am hoping that at least 10 of those new animations are specifically noticeable in potential fast break situations.

For instance, not every fast break pass is a chest pass. There should be a new situational animation for a player in the open court to spin, let the ball bounce ahead in front of him, or catch the ball in stride and finish at the rim without dribbling. Player momentum would have to come into play because I wouldn't want Wade to receive a pass from 'Rio at half court and spin for no reason. But yeah.

Or this link here in case I screwed up the embed (in which case, someone please edit it for me): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fFQdOTqkM4

Something as simple as this, if implemented properly, could make a lot of us "fast break enthusiasts" happy if anything similar is part of the 1,000 new animations, haha.
Hopefully with the new ball physics and added animation we can get more organic looking plays.

# 47 ekferio @ 08/07/11 02:43 PM
more canimations

# 48 Boilerbuzz @ 08/07/11 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
not sure i like the sound of this...looks like 2k may have gone and messed with the game too much...i liked the R2=L2 post up mechanic....and i loved the dribble control and control scheme...from reading this it looks like they're trying to dumb down the dribbling or something...i fear 2k may have tinkered with stuff that didn't need tinkering, and thus tinkered the game into something less that 2k11.

While I don't see how the paragraph you quoted would lead to this conclusion, I DO feel it's a valid concern. I love 2K11's gameplay and I would be happy if it stayed the same. But no one will ever claim it couldn't be even better and I'm certain that's the case with the devs. Plus you're always going to have those people that would claim - "The gameplay is stale" or "same ole, same ole" whether or not it was good. The challenge becomes making it fresh while at the same time keeping it familiar and clean.

# 49 Boilerbuzz @ 08/07/11 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobastard
If 2k could cut down on the suction animations i would be more hyped.
"Cut down"... Or eliminated completely? Sometimes, folks mean the other...

# 50 scottyp180 @ 08/07/11 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
All that is great, but if they have failed to remove or reduce suction I'll be highly disappointed.
with the updates they announced already and the NBA Greatest mode(s) it would be hard for me to not get this game but I am a little concerned that they might slack this year in the gameplay department based on how well received last years game was and the fact that there is no competition this year. I know 2k wont leave the gameplay untouched, I just hope that there are enough improvements to make the game feel like a fresh, new experience and 1,000 new animations doesn't guarantee that. can't wait for more info and vids to be released.

# 51 youvalss @ 08/07/11 03:52 PM
I don't expect the suction to go away completely until they come up with a new ground breaking engine or some system that takes care of that. If they are not saying something like "...that would change the way basketball games are being played" (and not just as a marketing gimmick without backing it up), I don't see it happening.

# 52 youvalss @ 08/07/11 04:48 PM
Maybe I'm a bit late, but I just noticed that 2K12's home page is up. Hope it means we are getting some more info this week.

# 53 videobastard @ 08/07/11 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
"Cut down"... Or eliminated completely? Sometimes, folks mean the other...
I would rather they be eliminated but it seems that 2k cant completely get rid of them. So if they can limit the amount of them, and cause fouls to take place when some are triggered in certain situations at least the game would be more enjoyable to play as in regards to those suction situations.

# 54 Dwadefan @ 08/07/11 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
Maybe I'm a bit late, but I just noticed that 2K12's home page is up. Hope it means we are getting some more info this week.
Can you give me a link?

# 55 KyotoCarl @ 08/07/11 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwadefan
Can you give me a link?
http://www.2ksports.com

# 56 youvalss @ 08/07/11 08:17 PM

# 57 wrestlinggod1 @ 08/07/11 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
Thanks youval

# 58 youvalss @ 08/07/11 10:03 PM
Unless they plan to keep us guessing (they have us right where they want...good marketing).

# 59 Eman5805 @ 08/07/11 10:07 PM
I'm probably solo on this, but if I have one nitpickin' pet peeve, it's the nets. It's time for new nets. They're too thin. Like it's made of sewing thread, not thick nylon. I'd love for there to be a day when a ball can go through the hoop, back off the back of the rim, and barely make the net move.

In the last NBA 2K11 promo when Beno Uldrich pulls off a bunch of moves and then pops up a 3 a slick blur type effect shift made the net get this bloom effect and look bigger.

This is only incrementally too large, but it's more of what I'm looking for. Being that white wouldn't hurt either.

# 60 VDusen04 @ 08/07/11 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805
I'm probably solo on this, but if I have one nitpickin' pet peeve, it's the nets. It's time for new nets. They're too thin. Like it's made of sewing thread, not thick nylon. I'd love for there to be a day when a ball can go through the hoop, back off the back of the rim, and barely make the net move.

In the last NBA 2K11 promo when Beno Uldrich pulls off a bunch of moves and then pops up a 3 a slick blur type effect shift made the net get this bloom effect and look bigger.

This is only incrementally too large, but it's more of what I'm looking for. Being that white wouldn't hurt either.
Sounds like a small thing, but I think I may agree with you. There's been moments in the past where I can almost lose the net and rim into the background of a particular court when playing on the broadcast camera.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.