Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

In looking over the NBA 2K12 details from Gamestop, it looks like we'll see over 1,000 new animations and building off of NBA Today, more graphical details with dynamic updates.

Quote:
With over 5 million copies sold worldwide and over 20 Sports Game of Year awards, last year NBA 2K11 allowed you to BECOME THE GREATEST with MJ & the Jordan Challenge mode. This year the NBA 2K franchise is back and bigger than ever, providing fans with the opportunity they've always dreamed of - to finally END THE DEBATE as to who are the best teams and players of all time with the ALL-NEW NBA's Greatest mode. Featuring 15 legendary players such as Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and Dr. J, NBA's Greatest let you relive some of NBA's most celebrated careers and rivalries, painstakingly recreated in historical detail. In addition, several innovative gameplay features have been added putting fans center court of an unprecedented basketball experience.
NBA 2K12 will ship with one of the three following cover athlete's images: Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird. Cover will be chosen at random as the game ships.
  • NBA's Greatest - Experience 15 of the NBA's most celebrated careers and rivalries, painstakingly recreated in historic detail. Featuring such legends as Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Dr. J, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and more.
  • Most Accurate NBA 2K Game Ever - Building off NBA Today's real-time stats, rosters, schedules and ratings, NBA 2K12 now delivers the most visually accurate NBA game as well. From shoes to player models and even court floors - every graphic detail of the game can now be dynamically updated. Broadcast style gets a boost as well with player interstitials promoting their upcoming games and dynamic pre-game highlight reels set to 2K Beats music.
  • Enhanced Gameplay - NBA 2K12 adds +1,000 new animations this year and delivers all-new control mechanics for post play and ball control to make the game more intuitive to play than ever before.
  • MORE MAJOR FEATURES TO BE ANNOUNCED LATER

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 kolanji @ 08/09/11 04:27 PM
ppl always ask that a game delivers on a new engine, but what i think is that they fail to realize that that is not always the best solutions to deliver on a better experience.EA sports got a rude awakening that a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bushes with nba elite.1000 new animations to a define physics engine upgrades can make a hell of a lot of difference as to the look n feel of a game with a development cycle of a year or less.kinda hate to admit it but grandma u were right when u say "if something is not broken don't fix it".
a new engine for a sports game is so overrated and 2k's engine is not broken it just needs a bit more refinements and adjustments so i welcome the 1000 n polish to what was considered the best sports game of all time(nba 2k11)

# 82 Altimus @ 08/09/11 05:09 PM
With all the additions they make, technically this almost is a new engine. I really see no reason for a complete overhaul unless:

A. The technology allows (which it this case with the current consoles it doesn't)
B. The engine needs (which it this case once again, doesn't need it)

# 83 illwill10 @ 08/09/11 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus
With all the additions they make, technically this almost is a new engine. I really see no reason for a complete overhaul unless:

A. The technology allows (which it this case with the current consoles it doesn't)
B. The engine needs (which it this case once again, doesn't need it)
2K only needs updates. Was satisfied with 2k gameplay
That what hurted Elite. They tried to completely overhaul in one year.

# 84 Eman5805 @ 08/09/11 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womalee23
Understood. But you got to give credit when it's due. There using a more physics-based engine this year. Therefore adding to an already solid animation system.
I hate being locked out the loop, but where is all this physics based engine talk stemming from? Cuz I've obviously missed something at some point.

# 85 da ThRONe @ 08/09/11 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
1st response:

Ahh OS. You never fail to disappoint.
I stand behind my comments. If the 1,000 animation aren't used to drastically reduce or remove suction I will be greatly disappointed.

The two reason I don't play 2K now is because MP is only designed to be fun temporaryly and suction.

# 86 mlp111 @ 08/09/11 09:56 PM
Sounds great, hope they redo alleys oops, hope they will finally address the crowd( copy live 10 mike Wang or something), all other news sounds great too me, can't wait!!!!!

# 87 mlp111 @ 08/09/11 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
I stand behind my comments. If the 1,000 animation aren't used to drastically reduce or remove suction I will be greatly disappointed.

The two reason I don't play 2K now is because MP is only designed to be fun temporaryly and suction.
There is no way possible that u play EA last game released, cause it's just as bad!!!

# 88 stillfeelme @ 08/09/11 10:33 PM
1000 new animations, ok I will take it. Basketball has so much individuality and different outcomes that can happen on any given play that it seems you have to add more animations or change the engine if you want to expand on what can happen in a real game.

# 89 afridgetofar @ 08/10/11 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womalee23
Understood. But you got to give credit when it's due. There using a more physics-based engine this year. Therefore adding to an already solid animation system.
it largely remains to be seen what physics additions they are talking about. But if they are talking about adding 1000 animations they aren't configuring their animation engine with procedural animation capabilities at all. Their variety of animations is solid, but the engine is this pipeline of solid doodoo that's stalling the forward progress of the franchise.

# 90 Pared @ 08/10/11 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe

They don't have anything to do with one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp111
Sounds great, hope they redo alleys oops, hope they will finally address the crowd( copy live 10 mike Wang or something), all other news sounds great too me, can't wait!!!!!
The alley oops have been the best of any basketball game. I don't see why they would need to "redo" them at all.

# 91 illwill10 @ 08/10/11 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
The alley oops have been the best of any basketball game. I don't see why they would need to "redo" them at all.
Alley Oops were good for me. It seemed right for me. I cant pull it off against athletic big men, but can pull it off against bad-avg big men.
If anything they can tweak it, but redo isnt neccessary

# 92 VDusen04 @ 08/10/11 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Alley Oops were good for me. It seemed right for me. I cant pull it off against athletic big men, but can pull it off against bad-avg big men.
Alley oops were definitely good, but I could think of some improvements. They're definitely probably some of the best we've seen in a simulation video game but that may be only because the alley-oop has seemed to be a tough-to-perfect craft in gaming (either too frequent or too sparse, too spectacular or too routine). I personally wouldn't mind a chunk of more animations. I feel like I can think of all the types of alley-oop finishes in my head available in 2K. Also, I think signature alley-oop finishes would be an achievable step at some point.

So, while I think I'm cool with the way alley-oops are executed in 2K (except for the absence of alleys during offensive sets), I do think 2K could beef up on the animations even more than they already have. It kind of reminds me of the retro jersey thing. 2K has stepped their retro selection up a lot in recent years, but I think it could still go further. It feels greedy, but I don't mean it in such a way. My intent is to be constructive.

# 93 KyotoCarl @ 08/10/11 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by afridgetofar
it largely remains to be seen what physics additions they are talking about. But if they are talking about adding 1000 animations they aren't configuring their animation engine with procedural animation capabilities at all. Their variety of animations is solid, but the engine is this pipeline of solid doodoo that's stalling the forward progress of the franchise.
I'm guessing they won't redo their engine until the next generation system come.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=59.335127,18.022080

# 94 Da_Czar @ 08/10/11 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by afridgetofar
But if they are talking about adding 1000 animations they aren't configuring their animation engine with procedural animation capabilities at all. Their variety of animations is solid, but the engine is this pipeline of solid doodoo that's stalling the forward progress of the franchise.
That is an assumption your making based on,I believe, how you think 2k's animation engine relates to their physics engine. There animation system is far from the monolith that many make it out to be.

Last year they showed you a glimpse of what they can do with their branching animation system. Because it didn't cover every single area of the game many overlooked the obvious improvement that was made and genius of being able to branch from one animation form into another(especially when you have more animations than anyone else in the industry of hoop games ). You can have a computer handle that for you but we saw last year how unbasketball like that can make your game look.

So don't count them out yet. If last year is any indication they are taking sections of the game and re-writing them and making them more extensible. Which keeps the great basketball feel while also moving towards a more physics based game.

# 95 cavsfan2 @ 08/10/11 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
The problem with alley oops for me is that i couldnt pull them off with someone standing stationary under the hoop. Not even with Dwight, Javale, and Chandler.

# 96 yungsta404 @ 08/10/11 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan2
The problem with alley oops for me is that i couldnt pull them off with someone standing stationary under the hoop. Not even with Dwight, Javale, and Chandler.
yea when i ever try to do that i throw it off the backboard lol. You should be able to lob it for a dunk when they are open next to the rim.

i really wish we have a option for the type of pass we can do

# 97 23 @ 08/10/11 06:28 PM
Im still a fan of the click the stick to throw the self alley oop control

That really worked because if you didnt time the jump right and you weren't lined up, even if you were alone, you wouldn't get the dunk, period... would even miss the ball

I think 2k could pull this off easy

# 98 Da_Czar @ 08/10/11 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan2
That might be cheese control family. Can you imagine what a cheeser would do with that ? I hear you though. In the proper context it would be nice.

# 99 nba2k23 @ 08/10/11 09:50 PM
I believe this is the best possible list that 2k could use for the "Greatest" Mode. I wanted to add the 1999 Spurs (twin towers) and the 1995 Magic (Shaq & Penny) just not enough room.

1. 1965 Celtics--Bill Russell, J.Havlicek (9 titles in 60's)
2. 1971 Bucks--Lew Alcindor, O.Robertson (2 titles in 70's)
3. 1972 Lakers--Wilt Chamberlain, J.West (69 regular season wins)
4. 1973 Knicks--Walt Frazier, W.Reed (2 titles in 70's)
5. 1983 76ers--Julius Erving, M.Malone (1 title in 80's)
6. 1986 Celtics--Larry Bird, McHale, Parrish (3 titles in 80's)
7. 1987 Lakers--Magic Johnson, Kareem, Worthy (4 titles in 80's)
8. 1989 Pistons--Isaiah Thomas, J.Dumars (2 consecutive titles)
9. 1990 Blazers--Clyde Drexler (2 Finals appearances in 90's)
10. 1992 Bulls--Michael Jordan, S.Pippen (6 titles in 90's)
11. 1993 Suns--Charles Barkley (one of the great 90's teams)
12. 1994 Knicks--Patrick Ewing (added to play Miller's Pacers)
13. 1994 Pacers--Reggie Miller (added to play Ewing's Knicks)
14. 1995 Rockets--Hakeem Olajuwan (2 consecutive titles)
15. 1998 Jazz--Karl Malone, J. Stockton (2 Finals appearances in 90's)

# 100 KyotoCarl @ 08/11/11 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nba2k23
I believe this is the best possible list that 2k could use for the "Greatest" Mode. I wanted to add the 1999 Spurs (twin towers) and the 1995 Magic (Shaq & Penny) just not enough room.

1. 1965 Celtics--Bill Russell, J.Havlicek (9 titles in 60's)
2. 1971 Bucks--Lew Alcindor, O.Robertson (2 titles in 70's)
3. 1972 Lakers--Wilt Chamberlain, J.West (69 regular season wins)
4. 1973 Knicks--Walt Frazier, W.Reed (2 titles in 70's)
5. 1983 76ers--Julius Erving, M.Malone (1 title in 80's)
6. 1986 Celtics--Larry Bird, McHale, Parrish (3 titles in 80's)
7. 1987 Lakers--Magic Johnson, Kareem, Worthy (4 titles in 80's)
8. 1989 Pistons--Isaiah Thomas, J.Dumars (2 consecutive titles)
9. 1990 Blazers--Clyde Drexler (2 Finals appearances in 90's)
10. 1992 Bulls--Michael Jordan, S.Pippen (6 titles in 90's)
11. 1993 Suns--Charles Barkley (one of the great 90's teams)
12. 1994 Knicks--Patrick Ewing (added to play Miller's Pacers)
13. 1994 Pacers--Reggie Miller (added to play Ewing's Knicks)
14. 1995 Rockets--Hakeem Olajuwan (2 consecutive titles)
15. 1998 Jazz--Karl Malone, J. Stockton (2 Finals appearances in 90's)
Even though that's a good list, and I concur with it, it's not on topic with what this thread is about. There's other threads that deals with expectations and what you want to see in the Greatest Mode.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.