Home
Madden 12 News Post

The Madden NFL 12 demo is available now. Please play a few games and post your impressions here. For now, just search under "M" in the demos section or games section. It weights in at 1.53 GB.

UPDATE: The PS3 demo is available now.

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 StevoIRL @ 08/09/11 08:44 AM
It certainly does enough to distinguish itself from last years offering but my god there are a number of issues that REALLY annoy me.

First off I find the pace of the game all wrong, last year was all about setting the game to slow and making to more authentic and to me it felt right. This year when you put it on slow (after the chaos that is normal) players seem to spend most of the time walking instead of running around.

The AI really annoys me. Punt returns are suicidal, there is ZERO blocking. They run back have a look at you and open up the gates for you to be hammered.

Iv seen on the pass WR's running away from the ball when it's thrown to them, it's beggars belief what is going on.

AI defensive is even more appalling on the run. DE's will disengage and turn around and start running towards their own goal line and will completely ignore a RB running parallel to them.

# 42 seasprite @ 08/09/11 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy31
I think Rogers is way too quick to tuck and run --plus he seems a bit fast in my opinion.
I agree as well. I even had gameplay set to slow and Rodgers would take off wayyy tooo often and have the speed of Vick. The lateral movement and speed, especially with the QB's, needs to be toned down quite a bit imo.

# 43 tfctillidie @ 08/09/11 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTrouble
I won a game on a blocked FG, first time i've seen players actually come off the edge in a 3pt stance to block one since Madden 04. Looking at the replay it was actually blocked twice from both sides, Graham morphs through the holder to block it first then Bowman blocks it again from the other side of the play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootzilla
Blocked an extra point.
I too blocked an XP. Shot in from the side and dove to block one. Hopefully this remains possible throughout the updates and patches. It would be nice to see blocked kicks happen with realistic regularity!

Quote:
Also, I completed a Hot Route and nothing happened -- Does anyone know what was suppose to happen..
I did too, didn't see anything happen either.

# 44 PantherBeast_OS @ 08/09/11 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
I agree as well. I even had gameplay set to slow and Rodgers would take off wayyy tooo often and have the speed of Vick. The lateral movement and speed, especially with the QB's, needs to be toned down quite a bit imo.
I really have to agree on this one. Rogers takes so often it ain't even funny. If he is this fast then just think how fast Cam Newton and Vick is going to be. It will be insane that is for sure. The overall gamespeed is just way to fast on default. But that is why we have the speed slider. I adjust my speed to slow in the demo and it made the game a little more playable. But overall the players speed is just unbelievable. Hopefully this will get to the Madden crew and there will be a day one patch for it.

# 45 jlukes @ 08/09/11 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeBlitz
+ : Beautiful, EA television broadcast style is really NICE, OL-DL interaction better (like NCAA FB 12), zone D correct, no suction, tackling looks good, ball physics improved (not perfect but better) ...

- : Replays are too short & lack of "authenticity", QBs are way to fast, too many big hits, no WR/CB interaction, Super LB still here ...
Haven't the replays been short in every Madden demo due to Demo space constrictions?

# 46 tfctillidie @ 08/09/11 08:55 AM
Quote:
I think Rogers is way too quick to tuck and run --plus he seems a bit fast in my opinion. I also dont care for the broadcast cam pre-snap (i feel like it gives you les time to make adjustments). Tackling feels a lot more intense this year (meaning it seems like almost every hit is a "hit stick" hit)

CPU AI at end of half and game is not very good
For example before half CPU call a TO when it is 4 and 2 with 5 seconds left just to punt it away.

in the fourth quarter with the game tied and they are alreadey in FG range, they call three timeouts with less than 2 minutes remaining...So not only do they stop the clock, but I am saved 2 TO's
I'm afraid that EA's choice to not address the CPU clock management, special teams play (especially punting), field possession management....is going to ruin offline franchise for me like it typically does.

I just find my games ruined when I stop the CPU at midfield and they shank a 10 yard punt instead of pinning me deep. It's so understated how devastating this is to the game IMO and sure enough in the demo the CPU can't punt very well and as you mention is poor with the clock.

# 47 Goffs @ 08/09/11 08:57 AM
god help me i enjoyed it...i still think 2k's animations are still tops but damn the demo sold me

I haven't played Madden since 08' so I don't know the negs but I see plenty of positives...the line play which I have complained for years has dramatically improved

Going to play some more...I really like it

# 48 guaps @ 08/09/11 09:04 AM
Second impression after playing a game with the Packers - played the entire game on slow, much better than normal speed.

Pros:
  • Scored a 75 yard TD on a PA pass. The safety jumped on the play action and Finley had all the room in the world to catch the football and run down the field.
  • Saw several bull rushes. On a run play my NT (Raji) bull rushed the C, allowing my MLB (Barnett) to get into the backfield untouched. Resulted in a fumble return TD. Looked nice.
  • Playing press coverage without safety help is very risky - as it should be.

Cons:
  • QBs are way too effective as rushers. Cannot imagine how superhuman Vick is gonna be.
  • QB accuracy still bothers me. Even Aaron Rodgers overthrows easy short passes.
  • Passing still need an extreme makeover. Aaron Rodgers threw a skinny post straight to a defender (an interception). The play was a comeback route to Jennings, but I pressed the button a millisecond too soon. Hate that you have to wait for your receivers to make the cuts before throwing in Madden
  • Running seems too easy, because the RB can zig-zag run behind blockers.
  • As mentioned by others. There's almost no blocking on punt returns.

# 49 DGuinta1 @ 08/09/11 09:07 AM
I wasn't expecting much, thought I would be content with just NCAA12 but I was wrong. I think the demo rocks! Pleasantly surprised. I think if you weren't expecting much nor buying into any EA hype, you will like. Dang! Great game so far!

# 50 mrclutch @ 08/09/11 09:08 AM
Presentation is very good and much improved.

Another year, another kick meter. I like the NCAA version better but I can live with this one.

I liked the little changes to the Gameflow play selection. Should make the feature usable for more folks.

I've read all the too fast QB stuff but didn't see it in my game. I'll have to run with QB by design to check it out. Pass rush was about right in my games.

Tackling and contact seemed somewhat improved and solid. You got a real sense of contact on big hits.

# 51 DUDERMAN @ 08/09/11 09:08 AM
Quote:
Pros:
  • As mentioned by others. There's almost no blocking on punt returns.
That's a positive trait?

# 52 guaps @ 08/09/11 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDERMAN
That's a positive trait?
Haha... my fault. That's, of course, not a positive trait

# 53 therizing02 @ 08/09/11 09:10 AM
*Gamespeed much faster than last year at default but the game seems to run smoother because of the virtual elimination of suction blocking.

*Love the new viewing angle for FG and XP.

*Presentation is excellent.

*Did Aaron Rodgers spend the entire lockout and a speed and agility camp? Damn he's fast!

*3d Grass looks good.

*Very disappointed to see the Packers throwing the ball with under a minute to go on 4th and 3 at the Chicago 35 and leading 31-0. WHY WHY WHY has this kind of garbage never been fixed?!?!?!?!

*Quick CPU snaps are still in the game. NCAA does not have this problem. Why has this been an issue in Madden for years?!?!?! I think I may have read where this is being fixed for the retail version.

*Colors are more vibrant.......finally got rid of the washed out look.

A lot of changes have been made to the game and after playing NCAA for a good 3 weeks it'll take some getting used to but I'm looking forward to getting the final build.

# 54 bad_philanthropy @ 08/09/11 09:14 AM
Really enjoying the gameplay and animations on slow speed. Gameplay will need some slider tweaks, but overall this is the most positive feeling I've had about a football game demo in years.

Visually it's a step up from NCAA during regular gameplay. Colors are spot on.

Also impressed by uniform degradation this year. Grass stains looks good, but also having field paint, dirt on player's arms and legs, and paint scuffs the color of the opposing teams' helmets on your players lids are nice flourishes.

# 55 DGuinta1 @ 08/09/11 09:14 AM
Liking slow speed the best so far.

# 56 bpac55 @ 08/09/11 09:17 AM
Am I supposed to not have any commentary?

# 57 mrclutch @ 08/09/11 09:18 AM
I'm still not seeing the QB's take off and run.

Clay Mathews is the fastest defensive player I have ever seen in a Video Game. Unbelievable how fast he covers ground.

Punt blocking isn't right as others have stated.

# 58 DGuinta1 @ 08/09/11 09:19 AM
I am enjoying the on field sounds so much, that I am not missing the commentary if there was any. Wow.

# 59 jp7588 @ 08/09/11 09:23 AM
Quick impressions from a game and a half:

-Had a lot of success passing with rodgers in game one. Felt natural. I was something like 9-12 93 yds and 1 td. Cutler was inconsistent throwing the ball after I got a little pressure on him which was nice. One problem though was he took off running too often and had way too much success.

-Didn't have much of a chance to run it but I liked what I saw. Realistic averages from both sides.

-Maybe it's me, but game speed is a little fast for my liking. It just looks and feels kinda twitchy and hyper to me. That probably contributed to the success of the qb runs. Jay Cutler shouldn't be running in a straight line for 20 yards untouched.

-Rushing the passer with Matthews felt pretty sweet.

-The first half of my second game felt way different from the first game. I couldn't generate any offense with GB. Chicago was getting a consistent pass rush, Rodgers was missing throws, receivers were dropping balls, and I couldn't get Ryan Grant going. None of that was a problem in game 1. Chicago's offense was tearing it up as well and I went into the half fortunate to be down 13-0. DPP? I dunno, but I thought it was kinda cool.

# 60 tha_show256 @ 08/09/11 09:25 AM
I have to say I am loving the demo!! I can't wait for the actual game after playing the demo for a bit! Lighting is awesome, graphics are fantastic, gameplay feels good, presentation is freakin' nice! This is what Madden should feel like! LOL, sorry about all the ! marks, but I am pretty pleased with this demo thus far.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.