Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

ESPN has announced the 15 legends in NBA 2K12 and their opposing teams. Both sides should have 10-12 accurate players represented according to the article. Here's the list of players and their opponents in the game:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
86-87 Lakers vs. Celtics

Larry Bird
85-86 Celtics vs Hawks

Julius “Dr. J” Erving
84-85 76ers vs Bucks

Wilt Chamberlain
71-72 Lakers vs Knicks

Patrick Ewing
94-95 Knicks vs Magic

Magic Johnson
90-91 Lakers vs Blazers

Michael Jordan
92-93 Bulls vs Hornets

Karl Malone
97-98 Jazz vs Spurs

Scottie Pippen
95-96 Bulls vs Sonics

Oscar Robertson
70-71 Bucks vs Lakers

Hakeem Olajuwon
93-94 Rockets vs Nuggets

Bill Russell
64-65 Celtics vs Lakers

Jerry West
70-71 Lakers vs Hawks

Isiah Thomas
88-89 Pistons vs. Bulls

John Stockton
97-98 Jazz vs. Lakers

Bonus Teams
1990-91 Warriors and 2001-02 Kings

Chris' Take: Seems to be a lot of a 'been there done that' with several of the guys and teams on the list. BUT, that doesn't mean it's still not cool (for now). Some of the guys are pretty exciting such as Oscar Robertson, Bill Russell, and Wilt Chamberlin. If the rosters from the opposing teams are spot-on as mentioned in the article, then this mode gets a lot more exciting and that appears to be the case. But really, a lot of the guys from the 90s and late 80s are rehashes of last year's teams on the Jordan Challenge. And it appears you have to play (or I'm sure pay) to unlock the teams in exhibition.

NBA 2K needs all it can to top last year's effort sales wise, I'm highly skeptical it's going to be able to match it with the NBA Lockout and a legends lineup that feels cool but somewhat rehashed as well -- but the mode should be quite cool at least one more year.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 24 @ 08/18/11 09:26 PM
pretty pumped about the 71-72 Lakers and the 97-98 lakers

# 162 Goffs @ 08/18/11 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRoseNumba1
I'm just happy Mugsy is on the game but Iverson is one of the 15 greatest of all time imo, hopefully they'll add him nxt near
maybe as DLC? i wouldn't mind having more DLC teams

# 163 VDusen04 @ 08/18/11 09:32 PM
The greedy part of me is hoping some key retro jerseys were added that'd at least open up more retro opportunities in terms of creating our own classic squads. Of course, if none of the retros have changed (80's Sonics uni's or '93 Suns jerseys) I'm still blown away and crazy impressed and satisfied and all of that. I'm just saying, in lieu of a lack of Chuck, offering that era's jerseys would be a great workaround.

Regardless of any players who may have been left out for whatever reasons, the fact that 2K went and dropped at least 50 legends (along with their supporting casts) is one of the craziest moves in sports game history.

# 164 thefranchise03 @ 08/18/11 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Credit to a poster named SuperPippen at Inside Hoops. I haven't read through all very closely, but it's definitely a good start. It's a huge list (48 players long in fact) and doesn't even include regular all-stars like Sean Elliott:

Thanks man. I appreciate it. Damn that's badass. Can't wait for 2k12 to come out. All-time rosters will be easier to create now.

# 165 Basketball GURU @ 08/18/11 09:56 PM
84 bucks vs Dr.J......Rookie of the Year Terry Cummings straight out of Chicago should be fun, and Sidney Moncrief.

Edit: and that got the 93 Hornets with Larry Johnson aka "Grandmama" lol, and little Mugsy

# 166 wrestlinggod1 @ 08/18/11 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Can't wait to roll with the '72 Knicks. Clyde, Pearl, Willis....and Phil Jackson.
Wait, Phil Jackson was on the team?

# 167 maclarry82 @ 08/18/11 10:12 PM
Penny & shaq.... bout time 2k...

# 168 Goffs @ 08/18/11 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlinggod1
yup 2X champ with the Knicks 1970 and 1973...its going to be fun match up

# 169 wrestlinggod1 @ 08/18/11 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
yup 2X champ with the Knicks 1970 and 1973...its going to be fun match up
LOL I can't imagine Phil Jackson playing ball! I only know him as a coach. This is gonna be so weird... But in a fun way

# 170 NINJAK2 @ 08/18/11 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by btiberi
That has to be wrong, because that was Barkley's first year with the Sixers.

I'm a little disappointed that they chose to have Pippen and Malone/Stockton as separate legends, but it's understandable. Would have been nice to have Barkley's Suns and Reggie's Pacers, but oh well. Hopefully they finally throw in the mid-90s Suns and Pacers jerseys as a consolation.
No doubt. They could have used the Suns for Hakeem Challenge (year the rockets came back from 3-1 and Mario blew the kiss of death) and they could have used the Pacers for Patrick Ewing's challenge..Pippen challenge should have put him on the Blazers and had him play game 7 against LA all over again...Oh well. Appreciate 2k's effort.

# 171 VDusen04 @ 08/18/11 10:28 PM
Quote:

# 172 DJ @ 08/18/11 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I know that some people are a bit disappointed, but I love, love, love, that I don't have to chase any stats in any of these games. Having to hunt buckets with Mike last year, squashed my enjoyment of those games. Now I can just let every game play out in a natural fashion.
Yeah, much better setup this year. Looking forward to playing all the games. I hope we get accurate floors and arenas, too.

Looking at that legend list is amazing. An all-classic team Association will be going down, for sure.

# 173 aloncho11 @ 08/18/11 10:32 PM
Quote:
You bet

# 174 LRBTODAY @ 08/18/11 10:32 PM
Allen Iverson is a free agent. He will be in the game as a FREE AGENT!!!!!! Relax AI fans............I just can't wait to play w/ The Dream!!!!!!!!!!!! 2K did well.

# 175 Goffs @ 08/18/11 10:33 PM
Quote:
that beard better be in the game! i don't recall where i heard this but i think its in one of the Knicks broadcast where Frazier said that they used to call him "shoulders" and you can see why.

man i would rather play as the 72' Knicks vs Wilts team...

# 176 cavsfan2 @ 08/18/11 10:33 PM
I dont think this will be an option, but I think it would be cool if we had the option of what presentation type we want, so for todays teams we can use the black and white picture.

# 177 NINJAK2 @ 08/18/11 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
I thought that was a year he had a fro?.. could be wrong. I always think about that year with Kobe because that's the year he and Jordan went back in forth in the Allstar game. It will be nice to play with high flying version of Kobe.
Yep. Kobe had a fro in 1998
http://lakersblog.latimes.com/.a/6a0...7d42970c-popup

# 178 aloncho11 @ 08/18/11 10:41 PM
Quote:
The greedy part of me is hoping some key retro jerseys were added that'd at least open up more retro opportunities in terms of creating our own classic squads. Of course, if none of the retros have changed (80's Sonics uni's or '93 Suns jerseys) I'm still blown away and crazy impressed and satisfied and all of that. I'm just saying, in lieu of a lack of Chuck, offering that era's jerseys would be a great workaround.

Regardless of any players who may have been left out for whatever reasons, the fact that 2K went and dropped at least 50 legends (along with their supporting casts) is one of the craziest moves in sports game history.
I'm with you on that one. The 96 Sonics and The 98 Jazz again? No disrespect, they were great teams, but I was hoping of one of their more younger and great teams wearing these jerseys:

I hope the classic teams include their respective warmups. The short sleeved warmups from the Celtics, Lakers, Hawks and Pistons were awesome.

# 179 wrestlinggod1 @ 08/18/11 10:45 PM
Lmao those pics of Phil are hilarious. If that's how he looks ingame, I won't be able to take him seriously.

# 180 aloncho11 @ 08/18/11 10:47 PM
and if the 2K dev team have this as a pre-game ritual whenever Magic's Lakers play Isiah's Pistons...I'm done

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.