Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Most of us want Charles Barkley in NBA 2K12. Unfortunately, he wasn't announced as one of NBA 2K12's greatests. On Monday, we should find out why.

Quote:
Reading between the lines, it appeared that Barkley, like the Indiana Pacers' great Reggie Miller (polling No. 5 five on that vote), couldn't come to an agreement with 2K Sports over the use of his likeness, last year or this year. Whatever's going on, either he wants too much money, wants a cover or other promotional considerations 2K can't afford or grant.

Or he objects to second-billing under some other star from a cast of dozens highlighting this game. Or, conversely, one of Barkley's old rivals refuses to appear in a game with him. Or, maybe, he signed a Rumplestiltskenian deal with the makers of Barkley: Shut Up and Jam promising them his firstborn if he appeared in another game.

Source - The Curious Case of Charles Barkley, and NBA 2K12 (Kotaku)

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Vast @ 08/22/11 05:18 PM
The chuck CAP in the first post is spot on. Where is it from??

# 62 Shakedowncapo @ 08/22/11 05:32 PM
It's from the superior version

Spoiler

# 63 Pared @ 08/22/11 06:25 PM
It's free money though. They don't do a damn thing - just sign off and receive a check.

Doesn't make any sense.

# 64 youvalss @ 08/22/11 08:07 PM
I remember so many years when MJ didn't want to be in any video game and I remember many people said he was an ******* for that. It's funny that in Barkley's case, I read a lot of people actually accusing 2K. I guess Barkley has a reputation to be a better person...smh...

# 65 LM1213 @ 08/22/11 11:03 PM
Man it's crazy. For years and years people wanted MJ in the game. last year they had him..it was crazy. We never thought MJ would be in a game ever again. on top of that they signed him to a multi-year deal. Now everyone is wondering about barkley. it's like MJ got thrown to the side. People forgot how lucky we are to even have him. much less the others. not dissing anyone, but it seems like no matter what we get, people are never content.

# 66 CX1329 @ 08/23/11 12:55 AM
Maybe the reason Barkley doesn't want to be in the game is because there's another Shut Up And Jam! game secretly in the works.

# 67 Control-X @ 08/23/11 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1213
Man it's crazy. For years and years people wanted MJ in the game. last year they had him..it was crazy. We never thought MJ would be in a game ever again. on top of that they signed him to a multi-year deal. Now everyone is wondering about barkley. it's like MJ got thrown to the side. People forgot how lucky we are to even have him. much less the others. not dissing anyone, but it seems like no matter what we get, people are never content.
I'm one of the fans who want Barkley, aside from Jordan. It's not that I'm discontented with having only MJ...MJ is my guy but it's always been a dream to play him against Chuck in a 2K game. Man they're two of my all-time biggest idols in the sport. I'm very thankful (and I still am) to Michael for putting himself in a 2K game finally after all those years of absence. What I mean is, it would be awesome to have Barkley too, but why is the latter acting "hard-to-get"? It's only a video game dammit and besides that, it would help young kids to know more about him on how he 'plays' the game as the former superstar. Many young kids of today don't know who Barkley is as a player. 2K can educate these gamers just like how they presented Michael Jordan in 2K11.

Before 2K11, these kids only thought about KOBE or LeBron being the best there is. Now they "know" who the Greatest really is. It would be great if 2K could also do that to Barkley but the thing is...Barkley's being an *** acting like a prima donna, wants a VIP treatment like he's the GOAT. IMO, he just wants to "Be like Mike". Kinda 'put-me-in-the-game-and-pay-me-like-how-much-you-pay-Mike' stuff. It sucks.

# 68 t-mac357 @ 08/23/11 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1213

This entirely

# 69 tredayray84 @ 08/23/11 08:21 AM
I understand that we are very lucky to have Michael Jordan in the game...but why would 2ksports have us list the players we wanted included in the game...and at the end of the day we did not get them..barkley and miller left there own stamp nba history

# 70 eko718 @ 08/23/11 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tredayray84
I understand that we are very lucky to have Michael Jordan in the game...but why would 2ksports have us list the players we wanted included in the game...and at the end of the day we did not get them..barkley and miller left there own stamp nba history
Exactly. They were talking about the poll/community involvement as if it really mattered. If they were aware that there were certain players they could not/would not get, they should have not included them on the poll in the first place. Three guys in that top ten were excluded... Barkley, Miller and AI.

# 71 FBeaule04 @ 08/23/11 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tredayray84
At least, you have some of the best!

Take NHL in comparison. One of the best player to ever play the game, Bobby Orr isn't there. The first guy to ever record 50 goals in a season isn't there. We have guys like Roenick and Salming as legends. On top of that, 9 legends so you can't even have a full team of one.

At least, 2K is making a great effort to put legends in the game. I'm sure that it's not 2K fault if Sir Charles and Reggie aren't in the game. I found people pretty harsh about what 2K is doing when there's other game "legends" are in but irrelevant!

# 72 RICH72601 @ 08/23/11 10:57 AM
Of course I'm no millionaire, but when things like this happens, I always think about the fans. As a huge fan of the history and game of NBA basketball, I wish we didn't have these kind of issues, but I guess it is what it is. If I was ever fortunate enough to play in the NBA and have a big impact on history and be successful, I would let an NBA video game developer create and use my likeness virtually for free, but everyone's different and have their own reasons for doing/not doing things. I would be thinking about a fan racing my chubby behind down the court and beasting cats at the Spectrum. Lol

Regardless, his rolly-polly self will be in my game along with other missing players. As I said in another thread, for anyone that has a pretty fair PC, please take advantage and get this game because it looks and runs great even on medium settings and you're truly missing out.

# 73 tredayray84 @ 08/23/11 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH72601
Of course I'm no millionaire, but when things like this happens, I always think about the fans. As a huge fan of the history and game of NBA basketball, I wish we didn't have these kind of issues, but I guess it is what it is. If I was ever fortunate enough to play in the NBA and have a big impact on history and be successful, I would let an NBA video game developer create and use my likeness virtually for free, but everyone's different and have their own reasons for doing/not doing things. I would be thinking about a fan racing my chubby behind down the court and beasting cats at the Spectrum. Lol

Regardless, his rolly-polly self will be in my game along with other missing players. As I said in another thread, for anyone that has a pretty fair PC, please take advantage and get this game because it looks and runs great even on medium settings and you're truly missing out.
i agree really the fans make these celebs what they are...we buy a they shoes,jeserys,etc....and when its time for them to give back,money always is an isuue

# 74 Pared @ 08/23/11 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eko718
Exactly. They were talking about the poll/community involvement as if it really mattered. If they were aware that there were certain players they could not/would not get, they should have not included them on the poll in the first place. Three guys in that top ten were excluded... Barkley, Miller and AI.
Ever think they did it as proof to show to the player that their fans actually want them in the game? That if they don't sign, they are disappointing their fans?

You think they care? Why do you think Lebron hasn't been on a cover of a video game as of yet?

# 75 youvalss @ 08/23/11 01:58 PM
Actually, LeBron was on NBA '09's cover. Does it count?

Yeah, but he's never been the featured athlete.

# 76 laroche360 @ 08/23/11 03:20 PM
f...u Sir Charles,we're still gonna create u

# 77 eko718 @ 08/23/11 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Ever think they did it as proof to show to the player that their fans actually want them in the game? That if they don't sign, they are disappointing their fans?

You think they care? Why do you think Lebron hasn't been on a cover of a video game as of yet?
Even if theoretically this is what they did, they could have accomplished the same goal without positioning the poll as if it would actually have an IMPACT on which legends would be included. Ronnie implied as much in his insight, in addition to it being implied on the facebook site itself.

I don't know the story, so I'm not going to conclude 2K didn't want to get these guys in there, or Barkley is being a prick(etc)... I don't have that inside track. I just feel that marketing move was misleading and ill advised.

# 78 VDusen04 @ 08/23/11 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eko718
Even if theoretically this is what they did, they could have accomplished the same goal without positioning the poll as if it would actually have an IMPACT on which legends would be included. Ronnie implied as much in his insight, in addition to it being implied on the facebook site itself.

I don't know the story, so I'm not going to conclude 2K didn't want to get these guys in there, or Barkley is being a prick(etc)... I don't have that inside track. I just feel that marketing move was misleading and ill advised.
I can agree with you there. I don't even really mind that Charles and Reggie will not be a part of the cast. Of course, I would welcome them but as I've said before, I'm pretty sure the other 34 classic teams (in addition to current) teams will be able to hold me over for about five years.

Anyway, yes, I knew it seemed to be too late in the production game to be holding a Facebook poll to discover which legends they should add. However, I still agree that it was misleading. Directly below the published Facebook results in Insight #1 was this line:

Quote:
"I can’t emphasize enough the importance of community involvement over the next two months. We’ve created a skeleton list of the 15 players and rivalries to be featured in NBA’s Greatest. But we’ve been interested in your feedback. Is there a particular game or player you want to relive in NBA 2K12? You’ll finally get the chance to do so come Oct 4."
And surely, there's nothing set in concrete from that quote that states the poll would be used to help centralize their focus on who to included. But they did kind of make it sound a little imperative that we vote, as if a certain portion of the game depended on it. Further, the "skeleton" list seemed to hint at 2K having a rough idea of who they were adding while perhaps tweaking things to cater to our liking. It was a funky advertising tactic if nothing else. It seemed to promote genuine confusion in many cases just as well as curiosity.

# 79 Control-X @ 08/23/11 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS

Most of us want Charles Barkley in NBA 2K12. Unfortunately, he wasn't announced as one of NBA 2K12's greatests. On Monday, we should find out why.

Source - The Curious Case of Charles Barkley, and NBA 2K12 (Kotaku)
...So what's 2K's response to all this? Haven't heard an explanation coming from them yet. It's already Tuesday.

# 80 youvalss @ 08/23/11 08:44 PM
If people could realize that 2K had the classic players in place already and that the poll was just to get more attention to the game, it would make things easier for some here.

Do you really think 2K would let people decide who's in the game? Not to mention that it was about a month before the game is done.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.