Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Digital Trends has posted their NBA 2K12 hands-on preview.

Quote:
There are other new features in the game, such as having the ability to interact with fans, and shot reviews. At one point during one of the games, my opponent went for a three-pointer as the clock zeroed out. He nailed the basket, but it was so close to the wire that the shot went up for review. It was ultimately ruled against — the shot was close, but we all saw on the replay that the ball left his fingers after the clock ran out — and I won because of it. It’s a nice added touch for a simulation that already receives high marks from fans and critics.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 jrivera34 @ 08/25/11 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
In my opinion, there is a very sharp contrast between having All-Decade teams where legends are available for use on All-Star teams all wearing generic "All-70's" uniforms and what 2K12 is offering this year. For me, it's not the same area code. It's not the same state. It may not even be the same planet.

I suppose I'd pose this question in hopes of creating an understanding: If 2K did not offer 30 current NBA teams and instead only provided a 2011 East and West All-Star roster, would you be satisfied?

Even when 2K opened up those All-Decade teams and allowed each legend to be sent to whatever team we chose, the idea of assigning Julius Erving to the current 76ers with long shorts and a fresh pair of Hyperdunks was still very fantastical and unauthentic. Again, picture if the only Kevin Durant available in 2K11 was one wearing short shorts, Chuck Taylors, and an old Sonics jersey. Technically Kevin Durant would be in the game, but clearly something major would be amiss (and imagine not being able to use him alongside his Thunder teammates). 2K12's approach is the way to incorporate legends. It couldn't possibly be any further from the idea of being a mere "repackaging". This is a revolution.
Great post and exactly the reason All Pro football didn't have the lasting appeal to me. Playing with Barry, Elway, and Marino was fun but I would still be playing that game had it had real teams, uniforms, presentation, etc. Best gameplay ever in a football game IMO but just didn't have that lasting appeal to keep me coming back. Although I refuse to sell my copy :-)

# 42 jrivera34 @ 08/25/11 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamangatang2k5
Honestly I don't even know why I'm bugging, maybe i'm just playing Devils Advocate. Because growing up in the 80's/90's I prefer that era of basketball any day over todays players/era.

Would be cool to start a season with the legends teams. maybe even an online league.

And seeing that video of Tom chambers double pump reminds me of how far basketball games have come. No crossovers, no behind the back, spin moves were done manually, passing out the air was no an option, no signature anything except for the one (or two if you're Jordan) move for each superstar. Yeah these games have come a long way
Imagine dlc for seasons? Kind of like strat o matic in a video game. I would finally pay for dlc if this happened.

# 43 Spanky @ 08/25/11 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamangatang2k5
Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of the Legends mode, but why are poeple acting like this is new to 2k?

2k always had 1950's-1990's players in the game. Up until they added Jordan this year.
Granted you may not have been able to play with the likes of Bill Cartwright, BJ Armstrong, or Bill Wennington, but that's not who people are excited to play the game for.

Young Shaq, Penny, Zo, Run TMC, Hakeem, Ewing, Bird, Magic, Zeke, Russell, Wilt, Dr. J, and all those guys have always been in the game. Some of them even had multiple players (Dr. J 70's with giant fro, Dr. J 80's with mini fro).

It's almost as if 2k repackaged the same feature with a shiny new wrapper and everyone thinks its better. When actually, it's equal to or less than the 2k10 and lower features of all time greats.

the good thing is that 2k isn't just relying on that to impress people, they are actually fine tuning an already great game.
This post is so way off base I don't know where to begin. Fortunately, others have shot it down with sensible logic. To compare what 2k12 will have in terms of legends and classic teams and how it will be presented and packaged to what was trotted out in previous 2k titles is nothing short of a colossal failure on the poster's part.

# 44 williskb24 @ 08/25/11 01:22 AM
why dont the 01-02 kings have a rival???

whats going on, this dont make sense..they must have someone to dance with in their time line...01-02 lakers???

# 45 vicente @ 08/25/11 02:29 AM
I read somewhere that coaches now have whiteboards!

# 46 Portertrain @ 08/25/11 04:46 AM
Silly question probably ...considering we have always been able to do
it! But has anyone confirmed that u can take all greatest teams into assoc/season mode. I noticed that all reviewers today only alluded to unlocking them for quick play mode. Assoc with all greatest teams is a must .... I'm sure they wouldn't give us a birthday cake without any frosting?

# 47 qpc123 @ 08/25/11 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portertrain
Silly question probably ...considering we have always been able to do
it! But has anyone confirmed that u can take all greatest teams into assoc/season mode. I noticed that all reviewers today only alluded to unlocking them for quick play mode. Assoc with all greatest teams is a must .... I'm sure they wouldn't give us a birthday cake without any frosting?
I asked this in another thread earlier, heres what Da Czar had to say...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
I don't think that is what that means. Unless something changed that I don't know about (entirely possible) the teams should be just as editable as last year.
Quote:
Yeah as I think about it I am more sure he might have been mistaken. I even got them to allow us to use the classic teams in the playoff mode.
It seems like once you unlock the teams, you should be able to do everything you can do with the classic teams in 2k11. I tweeted Ronnie from 2k and asked him about it since the articles were unclear but he didn't respond. Guess I don't have enough pull to warrant an answer, lol.

I think the one of articles said that they'd be available in different modes but I can't remember which one.

I'd like to get a direct answer because it might change my mind about purchasing, the ultimate reason I do full season rosters is so they can be used (by myself and others) in season/association mode.

# 48 Portertrain @ 08/25/11 06:16 AM
Thanks for that mate ....I'm exactly the same....retro assoc all the way. I'm sure they wouldn't take that away from us thanks for the hookup.

# 49 iLLmatic @ 08/25/11 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasco11
At least they got Majerle's orange skin tone right!

Those were the days! One star per team had a signature move...if you wanted to keep stats you had to do it on a notepad! Don't think I didn't either. I would do seasons.
Wow. Rasco, I feel like Mr. Me Too right now cuz you just just described my summers for 3 years straight in Jr High. Mead notepads full of player stats and Pee Chee folders to sort each team.

Some folks have no clue how good y'all have it now. NO CLUE!

# 50 Muzyk23 @ 08/25/11 08:46 AM
Quote:
amen brother I probably still have some remnants of my old "statbooks" ROTFLOL I knew I was alone !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've moved house recently. When packing I came across tonnes of notes with game scores and stats from real games or nba live and nba 2k that I kept on sheets of paper. Talk about dedication.

# 51 Da_Czar @ 08/25/11 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qpc123
I asked this in another thread earlier, heres what Da Czar had to say...

It seems like once you unlock the teams, you should be able to do everything you can do with the classic teams in 2k11. I tweeted Ronnie from 2k and asked him about it since the articles were unclear but he didn't respond. Guess I don't have enough pull to warrant an answer, lol.

I think the one of articles said that they'd be available in different modes but I can't remember which one.

I'd like to get a direct answer because it might change my mind about purchasing, the ultimate reason I do full season rosters is so they can be used (by myself and others) in season/association mode.
I'll see if I can get an answer on this.

# 52 Mintsa @ 08/25/11 10:19 AM
Quote:

Hey Czar,

Can you also ask if classic teams will be usable online in 2k12 ??

# 53 kolanji @ 08/25/11 10:20 AM
well if u can take an old school team into a season or online that would then open up for another question.......what nba rules would take place when old meet new team and if is so can u determine rules n play style from an era?

# 54 nba2k23 @ 08/25/11 11:23 AM
If you pre order 2k12 on amazon will you get the code for 90-91 Warriors and 01-02 Kings?

# 55 feete_non_stop @ 08/25/11 12:06 PM
how can i get magic on my copies cover?

# 56 GSWarriors9 @ 08/25/11 12:08 PM
This is a really nice feature, good job 2k

# 57 qpc123 @ 08/25/11 12:46 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, that would be great.

# 58 Da_Czar @ 08/25/11 01:06 PM
Quote:
Okay fam this is the gospel truth right here. Just got off the bat phone with deuceK. One you unlock a classic team they are available for use in ANY other game mode. Same as last year with the exception that they can now also be used in playoff mode.

The playoff mode request was one of many that I made on behalf of the community that got put in the game this year ( for those who still believe they don't listen to their fans)

# 59 qpc123 @ 08/25/11 01:09 PM
Quote:
Okay fam this is the gospel truth right here. Just got off the bat phone with deuceK. One you unlock a classic team they are available for use in ANY other game mode. Same as last year with the exception that they can now also be used in playoff mode.

The playoff mode request was one of many that I made on behalf of the community that got put in the game this year
Once again Da Czar comes through in the clutch. Thanks a lot man, now my mind is completely at ease.

# 60 ifriedrice @ 08/25/11 01:18 PM
Quote:

The playoff mode request was one of many that I made on behalf of the community that got put in the game this year ( for those who still believe they don't listen to their fans)
Deserves its own thread?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.