Home
News Post

IndustryGamers recently chatted with EA's Peter Moore (formerly EA Sports label president) about the challenge ahead for EA Sports basketball games.

Quote:
We’re focused on building a great game for next year. The team has got the time to be able to look at everything that we need to do to make sure that we bring quality back up and be competitive. So we can go over the whole story again from last year - it was unfortunate, but we’re a brand and a company and a label that is very focused on building quality and we’re not just going to walk away from it; we’ve got a very, very talented team that’s already got stuff up and running even though it won't ship this year, it'll go next year. So we’ll be back.

It’ll take a while to get back, yeah. It’ll take us a few years maybe, but if that’s what it takes, that's what it'll be. We’re in our 20th year as a label... We’re not a short term player. It’s not going to happen overnight, but we’ll sit here 3, 4 years from now and hopefully we’ll be talking about what a great battle NBA 14 or 15 is versus their 14 or 15," he concluded.

Member Comments
# 21 Last_Chapter @ 08/31/11 02:23 AM
Smh EA. I have been playing your basketball games since Lakers vs Celtics. You basically owned the market until 2k showed up. No more excuse Im tired of waiting for the next best EA bball game. You ruined NBA Street and Live. Elite failed before release Live 10 was your best effort. Even then you had the competitions best man. As soon as he left you dropped the ball. I'll wait till 13-14 to try again. It'll take alot more than copying the competition this time around.

# 22 Behindshadows @ 08/31/11 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
I would love to see what a 2k College Basketball would look like.

Interesting Moore doesn't mention anything about a College Basketball seeing as they have the Exclusive.

Why not build a College game were you don't have competition and build up your fan base that you lost and are losing from your Football side.

What's so funny about Moore and individuals like him, is that they try and word things as the folks can't read in-between the lines.

In all he said, he basically is trying to cover up their hussle on gamers.

We won't be able to compete with 2k for a couple of years (next console system release), but we will release a game next year at the same $60 price tag nowing it's will not be at the same level as 2k.

What a hussle!!!
This continues to be the most tired-some comment of all time. So tired of the false accusations of an exclusive license. There is no College basketball exclusive. 2k quit on their free will and decided not to renew their contract with the NCAA. If they want to make a College BB game tomorrow they could, no one is stopping them. So enough of these pro 2k post and trying to mention that crap all the time, take it to the College Hoops thread.

2ndly While everyone is taking shots at P. Moore calling him all kinds of rude things to sports titles. I guess you all forget he was the key to the beginning of the 2ksports games and their growth from Dreamcast to the Xbox.

So he does great things for sports, because he's a true sports fan and sports gamer. He hasn't really had but 1 year with with EA going on 2 and not much he has been able to do. But since he's been there he's done a lot of shifting the employees, etc.

Madden and NCAA FB, turned out great this year. Hockey looks to be great, there is no doubt since he's placed himself in the sports division that in the future this game will be decent to good...

Problem of this whole thing is, how much longer we as sports fans, have to wait to have two nba basketball titles again.

# 23 fearwhatnow @ 08/31/11 04:39 AM
The only titles that EA has drastically improved all these years are Fifa and NCAA Football and maybe Fight Night.This is the sad truth that Moore and other people in EA ignore.
Let's see:
- Nhl -> Just check how Nhl 2004 for pc plays.8 years have passed and this game still rocks.
- Madden -> **** fail year after year.Minor improvements here and there but nothing major.
- Tiger Woods -> They fix something, they break something else.
- Nascar -> No comment...
Their wrestling titles have potential though but a minor audience ofc.
The biggest fail of all is, without any doubt, the NBA title which is just a joke in terms of simulating the bball game.They completely ignored over a decade the suggestions of the pc community, then they moved to 'console only' with laughable excuses like the 'next-gen' lie.That's why pc users/gamers embraced 2k's decision to bring the game on the pc platform.2k delivered with PERFECT and MOD FRIENDLY pc ports all these years.

# 24 Control-X @ 08/31/11 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
Maybe they will understand supply and demand....we are demanding a secondary title and they aren't supplying us with one.

Eventually that demand will fade and the world will be pro-2k...Meaning expectations are even going to be higher. And if their title even has the slightest glitch, EA will pay for it dearly with backlash.

Making us wait another year is just plain stupid and bad for business, now they speak of a 14 and 15 title...Just completely forgot about 12,13! So basically they are saying the heck with PS3 and 360, we'll focus on Next Consoles.

I appreciate it, but no thanks! Release 12,13 on PC and let us mod it, we'll get your game to 2k standards on our own.

You took NCAA Basketball from us, and now pulling the NBA from us too, and making up more excuses about time. Not interested! They will kill their fan base before they release another game.
You said it all brother. EA dig this.

# 25 Control-X @ 08/31/11 07:49 AM
One big problem with EA is not listening to the fanbase, in general. They're just killing themselves unconsciously smh.

# 26 BenVenom @ 08/31/11 09:07 AM
Y would anyone buy an ea bball game the first when they finally put out one for the first few years if moore, the man in charge flat out says that 2k will b better? It doesnt even make business sense for him to say this, they better sell ot for 29 or 39 bucks.

# 27 TreyIM2 @ 08/31/11 09:25 AM
I'll tell u this - I was going to buy Elite 11 cuz the controls made it fun. I ended up wit 2K11, instead, and barely played the game - Same old overkill with aesthetics yet no real improvements to the gameplay.

I just think apart of the prob is that EA got over ambitious with focusing on the controls within the 1yr cycle. Pulling the game then giving an extra yr was smart, imo. I don't know what the results will be but I have faith in Peter Moore. As it is already known, he ran ish back in the beginning with the first NBA2K and he's getting ish on track with the EA Sports games.
I really don't think Elite will over take the masses, down the line, but I definitely believe they can get back to becoming formidable, most likely by next gen.

# 28 1WEiRDguy @ 08/31/11 10:09 AM
Mike Wang must have played a bigger role than i initially thought

# 29 Colts18 @ 08/31/11 11:39 AM
The funniest thing about this title is the assumption that 2K will not grow as a product during those few years EA thinks it will take to catch up. 2K will be getting better and EA will still be playing catch-up.

But some of you must not understand that you should never say never. Who knows what can happen between now and then.

# 30 noshun @ 08/31/11 11:44 AM
First step for Peter Moore is to work with the FBI and locate hard8times before they release any demo of whatever nba game they plan on releasing.

# 31 ccoaxum @ 08/31/11 12:54 PM
i'm not happy with 2k basketball games, i hate the fact that i have to play nba live 10 and 2k basketball...i really do miss my EA basketball, and EA is really making me mad!

# 32 afridgetofar @ 08/31/11 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by truintellectplaya
No disrespect but there will probably never really be competition again. You quit, and that is going to be held over your head. You have to be better than 2K basically out the box whenever you come back or people are gonna say we waited this long for this? I think they should try to focus on MVP baseball and bringing it back, maybe do a college basketball game since 2K left the market. Direct competition with 2K basketball is not good for EA and I would not doubt that the case would be the same if they did not get the exclusive in football. Just look MLB 2K baseball it is okay but I think someone else could do better, exclusives are not the answer for the fans and direct competition in basketball video games is not what EA wants with 2K, but it is good that EA is kinda facing reality, somewhat.
FIFA was in the same situation as Live at the console generation leap. Then when FIFA 07 came out with it's complete rehaul it changed everything. It wasn't better than PES, matter of fact it was ****. But it's technology projected serious potential that didn't really turn into a great product till FIFA 10 or MAYBE FIFA 09. By then they had completely turned the tables against Pro Evolution Soccer and now we look at PES in the same light as NBA Elite/Live with respect to FIFA.

I feel NBA Elite, in all likelihood has the chance to do the same thing. The franchise is in need of more mature design from the core mechanics standpoint. They got the technology (from FIFA) and plenty of time. The odds are in their favor.

# 33 Eski33 @ 08/31/11 03:11 PM
Gamers should want competition. It is amazing how 2K gets a pass on being so-so with its NBA series yet EA gets crushed in other areas. Yes, NBA 2K 11 was great but only because of Jordan. The ganeplay and visuals were minor improvements over previous iterations

Not hating 2K because I believe they innovate like no one but no competition sucks. I dont expect EA's hoop game to better nor does it have to be. It only needs to offer something different.

As far as EA quitting, they made a crazy move not releasing Elite but the move to release it would have been crazier.

EA's games over this generation have made huge improvements. The NHL series is outstanding, FIFA is probably EA's best, NCAA Football (even with its flaws) is miles better and Madden 12 is the best in the series in a long time. Not to mention MVP Baseball would be an outstanding competitor to The Show.

Just hope the leagues (NFL and MLB) get away from exclusivity.

# 34 Mos1ted @ 08/31/11 06:04 PM
Since this topic has turned into a 2K vs EA argument yet again, I feel the need to interject in 2K's defense. Now, before someone says I'm a 2K fanboy/EA hateboy, I was a staunch NBA Live series fan from the '95 edition to the 2002 edition. It wasn't until NBA 2K2 was released for Xbox that I jumped ship and have been a fan of that series ever since.

Back in the 90's, the NBA Live series was the king of innovation. They were the first series to make Create-A-Player a standard feature, not just in basketball games but in all sports games. They were the first series to reintroduce fans to Michael Jordan and other NBA legends. They also were the first series to introduce the streetball modes that are so common in the NBA 2K series. But where the NBA Live series faltered is when they neglected to make gameplay innovations. They were so focused on having exciting features, they neglected the most important part of any game. 2K enters the picture and offers better gameplay in their very first edition.

For longtime Live fans at the time, the brand was starting to get stale to some of us, and we were willing to try something new. 2K eventually offered a better feature set, better animations, and better graphics in addition to their already superior gameplay. The gap in quality between the two series would widen with each iteration.

Live decided to switch things up with NBA Live 2003 by focusing on making the gameplay fun and free flowing rather than trying to replicate the nuances of NBA basketball. This created the segmented market that exists today: the casuals and the "sim" heads, as the 2K series continued to focus on authenticity. NBA 2K4 was a miscalculated attempt to make the game "fun" following the success of Live 2003, but NBA 2K quickly returned to its roots the following year.

Live made the decision to return back to authenticity with the 2010 edition, fueled by the addition of Mike Wang. Why they decided to scrap the foundation they built with 2010 in favor of going an entirely new direction will remain one of the biggest blunders in video game competition history for years to come.

There are some on here (I'm assuming younger guys) who assume that NBA 2K just came into their own last year with 2K11, but in reality, 2K has been ruling the NBA market since its inception. It just took them being the only game for the foreseeable future to get the few Live fans that still remained a chance to see what they actually had to offer.

# 35 bamalam @ 08/31/11 06:27 PM
lol

this is the ole "3 yr plan" from when they were being criticized about elite. they kept saying wait until year 3 of our new 3 yr plan!

now he says "it will take a few years" to get up to competition level.

sounds like a rerun answer.

# 36 coolcras7 @ 08/31/11 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eski33
Gamers should want competition. It is amazing how 2K gets a pass on being so-so with its NBA series yet EA gets crushed in other areas. Yes, NBA 2K 11 was great but only because of Jordan. The ganeplay and visuals were minor improvements over previous iterations

Not hating 2K because I believe they innovate like no one but no competition sucks. I dont expect EA's hoop game to better nor does it have to be. It only needs to offer something different.

As far as EA quitting, they made a crazy move not releasing Elite but the move to release it would have been crazier.

EA's games over this generation have made huge improvements. The NHL series is outstanding, FIFA is probably EA's best, NCAA Football (even with its flaws) is miles better and Madden 12 is the best in the series in a long time. Not to mention MVP Baseball would be an outstanding competitor to The Show.

Just hope the leagues (NFL and MLB) get away from exclusivity.
Hahahahahahahaha, really Hahahahahaha

# 37 whoahello @ 08/31/11 11:24 PM
Some people don't realize what a screw up Peter Moore is as a CEO. When he was with Reebok, he got the brand to unfamiliar status. With Nike and Adidas taking the charge. And today we have Jordan added to mix as well. Then at Microsoft and the Xbox 360, he decided that it was best to rush the console resulting in RRODs'. Now with EA, he couldn't manage a team well enough to give us a quality basketball game. NBA Elite delayed. Moore just cares about how much profit can be made and what Metacritic has scored them; he doesn't care about the people working on the games, which is why Mike Wang left EA and back to 2K.

# 38 Goffs @ 09/01/11 10:14 PM
pfft Elite/Live who cares? It's all about NBA Jam now! I'm glad they are still making that!

Though they need to bring their sports titles to the PC again. They want to compete against Steam with Origins then they really should bring Madden, NHL, NBA Jam to the PC. I would buy them!

# 39 Behindshadows @ 09/01/11 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
pfft Elite/Live who cares? It's all about NBA Jam now! I'm glad they are still making that!

Though they need to bring their sports titles to the PC again. They want to compete against Steam with Origins then they really should bring Madden, NHL, NBA Jam to the PC. I would buy them!
Madden, NHL, and NCAA Football on PC would be great and make them windows live games...So the online would be smooth and great....

# 40 Muzyk23 @ 09/03/11 10:45 AM
EA Sports have absolutely no chance to compete in the field of sim basketball. All the details, nuances, little things. It took 2k a few years to perfect thier game.

Imo, EA should go the arcade way and make a fun and easy game to those less sim oriented.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.