Home
News Post

Are you a gamer that refuses to play Madden and embrace older games? Check out the article from Patrick Hruby, of The Washington Times.

I know we have quite a few of these guys here at OS. What's your story?

Quote:
For the legion of control-pad jockeys who have made “Madden NFL” both an annual best-seller and a pop-culture phenomenon, Tuesday’s arrival of the franchise’s newest iteration had the makings of an unofficial national holiday: late-Monday-night purchasing lines outside electronics stores, a surge in online excitement and competitive trash talk, and a rash of dubious sick-day call-ins to work.

Now in its 23rd year, the “Madden” football video game has become nearly as much of a national obsession as the sport it simulates, with cumulative sales exceeding 70 million copies, a spot in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, a branded ESPN television series and numerous NFL players among the title’s devoted followers. Nevertheless, within the gaming community, there are hundreds - maybe thousands - of dissidents, united by a rejection of all things “Madden NFL.”

Member Comments
# 21 sheredia @ 08/31/11 10:54 PM
i believe competition brings out the best in games and madden is no exception. they had to up their game with 2k around. even if you didn't like 2k, you had to respect the fact they made madden get better every year. we, as gamers, should have a choice between simulation and non-simulation type play. why can't madden give us a choice between the two?

# 22 truintellectplaya @ 09/01/11 12:06 AM
I am one. I usually chose to buy NCAA Football if any football. I played Madden 11 because my nephew had it, but it is just the same ole trash. Very unrealistic, NCAA Football is not decades ahead but lets be honest, I have a pet peeve with Madden being out for damn near 30 years and still being such an incomplete piece of work. On the other hand, its not just Madden. I have not purchased a single MLB 2K game because in a lot of ways I feel like MVP Baseball was just a better game. I don't like being forced. You could buy or keep a original xbox or gamecube and MVP 05 for less than you could buy every version of MLB 2K since the exclusive and probably play a game just as good or better. Exclusives killed sports video games. I really want to be playing the following:

NFL 2K

2K College Football

EA MVP Baseball

NBA 2K

# 23 elgreazy1 @ 09/01/11 10:15 AM
I'm going to assume Thomas Paterniti is the same "tpaterniti" who's on my friend's list. Small world.

I whole heartedly agree with many sentiments brought forth by the article and posters here. It's not that Madden is necessarily a bad game, it's just that the formula has grown stale and that the interests of gamers has changed over time. I think in all honesty, Madden developers would love to see a rival football game in the market. Remember, these guys over at Madden are designers, artists, developers, etc and there is nothing more that creatives want than a challenge. Without that challenge they aren't forced - or possibly allowed - to be innovative due to suits & corporate types being too afraid to shake up the product.

Competition breeds excellence.

# 24 navygoat1998 @ 09/01/11 10:30 AM
I am a Madden 12 on my PS3 and Madden 2005 for my PC.

Mike

# 25 Mr_Riddick @ 09/09/11 02:07 PM
I mean... Its just too difficult transitioning from APF to playing madden. Something as simple as WR/DB interactions. And those who play allpro understand what I mean when you throw to your receivers in madden and you see that awkward OTS catch. It's actually gut wrenching for me. And at that point, I can't continue playing. This year itl have to grow on me. Il have to find a way to look past some of these issues. Because honestly, I'm tired of updating rosters. I don't have the time this year. I just want to be able to pick up and play. So yeah, il be playing this year. In hopes that 13 will have more of the basic fundamentals of football animation wise....

# 26 dp68 @ 09/09/11 04:58 PM
I think it is unfair to say many of us refuse to play Madden. I've given Madden plenty of chances. Not only do I own 11 and 06, I also had the original John Madden Football on my Commodore 64 and played at least 2 sequels of that game on my Amiga and PC.

I probably buy a Madden game about once per 7-8 years on average, just to see if it is finally close to being realistic. But it is always a tremendous disappointment. I don't understand the people who say NCAA is more realistic, because as far as I can see the sim flaws are completely identical. I have no intentions of wasting my money on a copy of Madden or NCAA this year or next.

You can dominate a market and still be a quality game. MLB The Show is a pretty realistic sim while providing fantastic graphics. I wouldn't put the realism on par with something like OOTP, but it is a lot more realistic than the text simmers give it credit for.

EA's own MVP 05 was realistic and well done. The 2K Basketball series is pretty good too.

I keep waiting for a grass roots PC football sim which combines graphics with customization and realism, because I can see the console games are a lost cause.

# 27 jazzchamp @ 09/13/11 04:38 PM
Personally, I loved the 2K series in the past, but when the exclusivity deal hit, we could all see the writing on the wall.

I have played Madden since it's Genesis days and back then it was amazing for the technology. I might just be getting jaded and calloused in my old age, but Madden isn't appealing to me anymore - and I've tried! I picked up last year's iteration as well as a couple of others in previous years during this console generation. I can slog my way through half a season, but inevitably, I come to the realization that I've played the game before and have been playing for years.

A shiny new interface doesn't make it a different game and/or experience.

# 28 smokie3883 @ 09/14/11 05:34 PM
The latest madden that i play is 09. I prefer that or anything older, the new stuff is getting to be a complete waste of money to me. the graphics are awesome, but the gameplay and player motions just arent enough to get me to drop that kind of money. madden 06 to 09 were the best imo.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.