Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

CBS has posted their NBA 2K12 hands-on preview.

Quote:
The improved AI is also felt on defense. Dumping the ball to Patrick Ewing would cause the opposing team to send help from different spots on the floor, but the AI never over-committed, opting to fake the double-team attempt and go back to their man. This realistic defensive tactic made it difficult to know when to pass or continue to post up.

Defensive rotations have also undergone an overhaul. The AI does a better job of disguising where they will bring help, creating more unpredictable defensive sets. The AI also defends passes better, more eager to jump passing lanes or tip a pass to create a fast-break opportunity.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 1WEiRDguy @ 09/01/11 09:01 AM
can you bounce pass a la CH2k8? I dont know if it was just me, but i couldnt control if i made a bounce pass or not...it just seemed to happen at the strangest times.

# 22 Jakeness23 @ 09/01/11 10:25 AM
That's what I put about playcalling on the wishlist! Not strictly offensive plays that result in the same passes, cuts, and shooter every time but a real OFFENSE that has many options! God, I'm pumped!

# 23 clipperfan811 @ 09/01/11 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeness23
That's what I put about playcalling on the wishlist! Not strictly offensive plays that result in the same passes, cuts, and shooter every time but a real OFFENSE that has many options! God, I'm pumped!

I've been waiting to see that for years as well. Last year was a huge improvement in playcalling no doubt but from what we're hearing this year could be an even bigger jump.

Those developers are the real deal

# 24 jr2424 @ 09/01/11 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by domidomdomz
@jr2424

Regarding the "Y"/post-up button. Can it initiate a post-up animation anywhere in the court and with or without a defender near the ball handler?

Really great article. Thanks!
Yes that is true. There were times I would want to do a stepback jumper and forget that it's now only done with the right stick. So is the hopstep and spin move

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

# 25 jr2424 @ 09/01/11 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Very nice Article jr2424 ! Really enjoyed that.
Thanks a lot Czar. Love watching your playcalling series. True basketball knowledge in those vids.

# 26 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 09/01/11 12:49 PM
I don't know if this has been answered by anyone else yet, but if the Y button is post up now, how do you do the signature gathers?

# 27 Spartan901 @ 09/01/11 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2424
Yes that is true. There were times I would want to do a stepback jumper and forget that it's now only done with the right stick. So is the hopstep and spin move

So if I'm hearing that correctly, you can't hop step or spin now without shooting then?

# 28 quadsas @ 09/01/11 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan901
So if I'm hearing that correctly, you can't hop step or spin now without shooting then?
you obviously can spin with isomotion. also you can definitely pass out of animations. reduces abusing a lot while not making it too hard to make those moves

# 29 jr2424 @ 09/01/11 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaacc03
WOW, JR this article is an insight itself ... I think we got our selves spoiled of tomorrows insight and the further one about gameplay ... anyways, an outstanding hands on article !

Now a few q´s:

- Did you tried to contest shots ? ... if so, how was it ? ... how did it felt to put your hands up while walking ? ... any unintentional jumping by the player while in this mode ?

- How does vertical seems to be ? ... is it like 2k11 pre or post patch ?

- Does the plays that have multiple choices highlight them all or just one ?

- Did you get to do or see any fastbrakes ? ... if so, how were they executed ? ... does the opponent AI catches you with super speed ?

- Can you assign that type of fake double teams defense tactic to your AI partners (or to any team) or is it hardcoded to all ?

- Did you saw any of the latest roster movements (pre lockout) or any rookies ? ... someone mentioned on the momentous trailer that Rubio was seen in the background, so, did you spolied someone else ?

Again, marvellous detailed depict of your experience !
1. I did use the hands up a lot near the rim but I forgot to move while doing it. Contesting shots felt more contextual so if I was closing out it felt like the game knew I would be able to block the shot so i would close out with a hand up. I didn't block one shot during my time with the game, which shows that they must have tweaked all the blocked shots on the perimeter.

2. If you mean do guys really take off going for rebounds i would say I think I saw that animation maybe one or twice but not nearly as often as in 2k11. I love rebounding and with the ball being so live in this game I never knew who was going to come away with it. Loved it.

3. I'm probably going to get my aim card revoked for saying this but I didn't call too many plays. I wanted to see how the Ai would react without me telling them what to do. The Ai is more intent on getting to specific places on the floor this year.

3. I remember one with the Warriors. The I think it was a 3 on 2 with Steph running the break in the middle of the floor. I hit Monta for a layup as he filled the lane. The Ai didn't catch up. In that game I played against the Showtime Lakers. Magic had numbers on the break (like 3 on 2 again). I picked him up with Curry but I never really stopped ball, instead opting to try to backpeddle while looking to play the pass. Magic kept pushing the ball, and dunked it (one-handed like Magic used to) which was awesome. Rob Jones (great guy by the way) said that the Ai will now push the ball even if it sees a player in front of the Ai determines it has an advantage. In this case, that played out perfectly (not for my crappy fast break defense though

4. I didn't ask. I was floored when during my first game (Ewing's Knicks vs. The Shaq, Penny Magic) that the AI was doing this in the first quarter even though Shaq was defending Pat.

I didn't see any rookies. I played two games with today's teams. I was the Spurs facing the Bulls and the Warriors vs. Showtime.

Hope that helped. Thanks again.

# 30 jr2424 @ 09/01/11 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster
Great article!
It really shows you know your 2K baketball.

And now, a question : tell me, does the AI utilise the "walk up court" animation properly to reflect different team styles or dictate the pace?

I did see this. The one animation that really stuck out and I put in the article was when first holding turbo, the player will push the ball in front of them the catch up to it. You can see it briefly in the latest trailer. It's such a cool animation. The other awesome one was Rose had numbers on me, as I was getting back he pulled off the palming the ball in his right hand while shuffling his feet, which lost me completely then he threw down his vintage two-handed dunk. It was so cool.
10x

# 31 jr2424 @ 09/01/11 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
he's fast asleep by now lol and i finally have a question...

How do you like the new controls? Tighter like what the other reviewers say?
The post up game is really tight. I was able to pull off up and understand with ease. I'm not the greatest isomotion guy so i didn't try to pull off too many of those moves but the post up was awesome. Oh and the jump shooting feels So much better. Way more fluid.

# 32 DerrickRoseGR @ 09/01/11 01:24 PM
Hey jr2424!

Do aggresive block and steal attempts (i.e. while pressing the R2 button) by the user still cover the same unrealistically large distance, even if you use a big guy like Shaq?

Thanks!

# 33 jr2424 @ 09/01/11 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WEiRDguy
can you bounce pass a la CH2k8? I dont know if it was just me, but i couldnt control if i made a bounce pass or not...it just seemed to happen at the strangest times.
I asked this specifically to Rob and he said it was not in the game. But what I did notice is there are Way more bounce passes in the game at proper times. Passes into the post felt more realistic because the game seemed like it knew when to use the bounce pass more effectively than in any other NBA 2k game I could remember.

# 34 Colts18 @ 09/01/11 01:26 PM
Quote:
Celtics legend John Havlicek dribbled the ball off his leg trying to get to the middle of the floor while surrounded by defenders. This addition will make players more hesitant about trying to dribble through traffic because they might not escape with the ball.
I hope 2K doesn't take this out via Roster Update if too many people complain about it after week 1. You know how they dumb the game down when people complain.

# 35 jr2424 @ 09/01/11 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
I don't know if this has been answered by anyone else yet, but if the Y button is post up now, how do you do the signature gathers?
I forgot to ask this question. I assume everything is mapped to the right stick. But the Y button is strictly for backing down.

# 36 jr2424 @ 09/01/11 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan901
Good question. Another one I wished I had asked when I had them here. All I know is that Rob said that hop step, step back and spin move were all mapped to the right stick. I will say this though, it is a lot easier to interrupt animations this year. So I could see initiating a hop step move with the rit stick the pressing the pass button to hit an open guy. I didn't pull off any of these moves but I wasn't really trying to. I wish I could give you a better answer to this.

# 37 Colts18 @ 09/01/11 01:37 PM
I am hoping that you are right JR. We should be able to hop step and while in mid air make a pass. A la LeBron James

# 38 jr2424 @ 09/01/11 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrickRoseGR
Hey jr2424!

Do aggresive block and steal attempts (i.e. while pressing the R2 button) by the user still cover the same unrealistically large distance, even if you use a big guy like Shaq?

Thanks!
Stealing felt a lot better. I know you can move and steal at the same time and I'm not talking about that chase down animation. I don't use the steal button too much but I do remember getting a rip with the Big O and it felt right because I timed it properly. I do remember seeing an animation when I would get too close to the ballhander he would use his off arm to create space. I don't know if there's a specific way you could pull this off at will or if it's just contextual.

# 39 jr2424 @ 09/01/11 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrickRoseGR
Hey jr2424!

Just reread your question and forgot to answer the block part. It feels like the game know when you're closing out if it's better to just put a hand up of leave your feet to go for a block on the perimeter. The distance covered did feel more realistic.
Thanks!

# 40 Goffs @ 09/01/11 01:42 PM
Seen any blocks like the one in the trailer? Bill Russel type block where the center actually JUMPS up to try and swat it?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.