Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

CBS has posted their NBA 2K12 hands-on preview.

Quote:
The improved AI is also felt on defense. Dumping the ball to Patrick Ewing would cause the opposing team to send help from different spots on the floor, but the AI never over-committed, opting to fake the double-team attempt and go back to their man. This realistic defensive tactic made it difficult to know when to pass or continue to post up.

Defensive rotations have also undergone an overhaul. The AI does a better job of disguising where they will bring help, creating more unpredictable defensive sets. The AI also defends passes better, more eager to jump passing lanes or tip a pass to create a fast-break opportunity.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 jr2424 @ 09/02/11 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice
I read that when you play in the legends mode that you play by the rules of that era. So is the 'no zone' rule implemented when you play with the teams from the past?
Good question. I didn't ask this but one thing I did notice is when I played games without the three-point line, the AI seemed to crowd the paint more because there was no threat of a three-point shot. If I had to guess though I would say you would be able to play zone.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

# 122 jr2424 @ 09/02/11 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnDefeatedEZ
Thx for answerin a few of my questions earlier.. Jus a few more tho lol..

1.. U said alot more bumping.. Do u mean bumping as them fallin to the ground like 2k11 did??

2.. Do you think the spin dunk bs is still in this game or the post spin dunk..

3.. For simulation style.. Did they lower the 3pt% percentage again?? I hope not.. I rather the midrange n 3%pt percentage be at 50 aka default..

4.. For defensive zones.. We know about the half court trap, 1-3-1 etc.. Are there more defensive zones like the box n 1 zone etc??

5. Do you think there will b glitches and exploits in this game?? Usually every game.. Gamers tend to find exploits aka Spin dunkin, post spin dunkin, Powerdunkin over 4 ppl at will almost every time from the manual cut, hop step den pumpake a million times in da paint until a foul is called..
1. Didn't see a lot of guys falling. It was more about impeding progress than losing balance.

2. With the spin move and hop step mapped to the right stick it's gonna be harder for players to abuse it. Should decrease cheesers spamming that move.

3. Don't know for sure about this one. I was playing on pro so shots were falling but if defended well, it was less likely to drop.

4. I didn't call many plays. I was so focused on getting in as many games as possible that I only called a few offensive plays but none on defense. I did use the quick pick and pop with David Lee and Tim Duncan and that worked well.

5. I wish I could say there won't be any but you know cheesers will find a way. Rob said they have addressed the 7-5 guys in crew games so I'm excited to see what that is. The cheese moves i saw the most was spin, hop step, pump fake and the back-shoulder passes that always seemed to confuse my defenders and lead to a dunk or layup. If they addressed these, it will take cheesers some time to come up with BS moves.

# 123 Dice @ 09/02/11 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2424
Good question. I didn't ask this but one thing I did notice is when I played games without the three-point line, the AI seemed to crowd the paint more because there was no threat of a three-point shot. If I had to guess though I would say you would be able to play zone.

Kinda unfortunate if they don't have the 'no zone' rules for those particular teams. Kinda takes a little away from the authenticity. Oh well, not a game stopper by any stretch of the imagination. This game will be a definite first day purchase. Maybe earlier if I'm able to get my hands on it.

# 124 jr2424 @ 09/02/11 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
jr i got one more question...

when players set picks are they more accurate at setting them? i always end up fighting my movement trying to get to the guy setting the pick...
The movement is so much better in this game. I didn't feel like I was fighting the controller so setting up a screen wasn't nearly as frustrating. The one thing that some players might have had problems with last year's is that you have to wait until your screener is in place then move toward him to initiate the move. But I agree, it wasn't perfect. I just feel moving toward the screen is smoother which makes picks more effective.

# 125 jr2424 @ 09/02/11 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephlaker123
k im kinda scared is there rookiess
They can't add them until the lockout ends. The community will have to create them until this labor mess ends. Good thing they can update the rosters and add them once this all ends. And I'm not sure if Rubio made it in there because I didn't play with the wolves. But I could imagine he might be in there because I think he signed his deal with the wolves before the lockout.

# 126 jr2424 @ 09/02/11 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice
Kinda unfortunate if they don't have the 'no zone' rules for those particular teams. Kinda takes a little away from the authenticity. Oh well, not a game stopper by any stretch of the imagination. This game will be a definite first day purchase. Maybe earlier if I'm able to get my hands on it.
Please don't take what I said as definitive. I didn't see it called but the situation didn't seem to come up. Rob played the one game without the three-point line and i didn't see it called. But it might be there.

# 127 jr2424 @ 09/02/11 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzleman
one more question from me JR,

I couldn't really tell in the gamescom videos but does the cpu still do that slide animation on defense when their guarding you ?
Slide animation? I probably have seen this but I don't know exactly what you're talking about so I don't want to see I did or didn't see it. I do know the perimeter play felt more physical. I know I mentioned this before but the AI would use its off arm to create space when I crowded the dribbler on the perimeter. I know I didn't answer your question, but I'd rather tell you I don't know for sure than give you misinformation.

# 128 Kurupt_XxX @ 09/02/11 05:03 PM
is their a shot indicator?

# 129 jr2424 @ 09/02/11 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus
to kinda play off this; How was good on ball defense portrayed? Would they ride you off of your path and cut off angles? you have been a great help to us thirsty 2k fans.
Thanks man. If I remember correctly I did see the AI body me up on the perimeter and I do remember doing it to them. You can ride them a little but if I'm remembering this correctly the animation isn't as overpowering. What I mean by that is you can break out of animations easier this year. And that goes for all aspects of the game. Like Rob said on gametrailers last night, you are not just watching it play out but you're creating it more this year. Hope I kinda answered the question.

# 130 jr2424 @ 09/02/11 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurupt_XxX
is their a shot indicator?

I know they tweaked the free throw indicator. This year it's a success percentage number. I didn't play with the shot indicator on but I think you can see it in the gametrailers footage from last night. I'm watching it now and it shows shot quality and then gives you a grade.

# 131 GSWarriors9 @ 09/02/11 05:25 PM
Quote:
I wish I could answer these questions better but I didn't play with the Warriors much lasr year so i can't really tell how different they would be from last year. But they did run the break well. They filled lanes and looked to dive toward the rim. I didn't see them flare out to the 3-point pine too much on the break though I did hit a corner 3 with Monta on the break. But I used the lead pass to lead him toward the perimeter. Monta did feel explosive.

Thanks, i can understand what you mean by not playing 2k11 with the Warriors as much. Just 1 last question, assuming you used the Warriors at home was their court golden?

# 132 jr2424 @ 09/02/11 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Marlowe
Did you see any of the snapback perimeter defense we have in 2k11? Sometimes you could beat a guy off the dribble only to have his body defy gravity and place him right back in front of you.
I did not see that. The one thing I can say when I played is I never felt cheated by the AI in all areas. When I got beat I could see why I did. I remember playing as Oscar Robertson and the defender giving me space and shading me to my left. But I did get around the defender only to have his help on the baseline stop my path. But no I didn't encounter that problem. I hope that wasn't because I was playing on pro and that it might creep in at higher difficulties. I can't say that won't happen but I can tell you that I didn't run into it.

# 133 jr2424 @ 09/02/11 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWarriors9
Thanks, i can understand what you mean by not playing 2k11 with the Warriors as much. Just 1 last question, assuming you used the Warriors at home was their court golden?
I did use them at home and the court looked right to me. But please remember that I'm most likely not as particular about the shading of their court as someone who plays on it 41 times a season. I can tell you are a big warriors fan and it wouldn't be fair of me to say one way or the other because I didn't play on that court much last year. But from what I saw, i thought it looked good.

# 134 GSWarriors9 @ 09/02/11 06:01 PM
Quote:
I did use them at home and the court looked right to me. But please remember that I'm most likely not as particular about the shading of their court as someone who plays on it 41 times a season. I can tell you are a big warriors fan and it wouldn't be fair of me to say one way or the other because I didn't play on that court much last year. But from what I saw, i thought it looked good.

Ok thanks for the answers. Looking at a screen shot of Monta Ellis in 2k12 here at OS it looks like they have the Warriors court right this year(gold instead of yellow) Thats was a biggie for me as a GSW fan. Thanks again!

# 135 jr2424 @ 09/02/11 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus
Most def... final question, do post shots have release points?
When I was playing I released the stick at the top of the shot like a normal shot. The one thing that really stuck out to me was the ease in which I could pull off up and unders. With the Y button controlling the backdown I didn't have to pull triggers to do an up and under. Just made things flow better in the post. I could imagine what some of you guys are gonna be able to do in the post this year.

But to answer your question, I would say yes. But like I said I was shooting in the post like I shoot on the perimeter, releasing at the top of the shot.

# 136 jr2424 @ 09/02/11 06:35 PM
Quote:
You know the cut off move the cpu does on defense, like when you go one way they slide that way to cut you off
I think I remember what you're talking about. I didn't notice that. The only time I would see that might have been on pick and rolls where the guy who's hedging out bumps the guard to impede his progress.

# 137 jr2424 @ 09/02/11 06:41 PM
Going to go work. Probably won't be able to answer anymore questions until tomorrow though I think I've given you all the info I have. I will check back and do my best to answer more but I bet the Czar's preview will shed even more light and answer the questions I can't. Later guys.

# 138 lsalas76 @ 09/03/11 06:34 PM
Thanks Jr for all the information you provided thus far. I'm not sure if you would know this or if you could even say the answer to my first question but

1. are there going to be other teams from the 2000s other than the 02 Kings? I read in an article that you can have the 2008 Celtics vs the 65 Celtics. Also, the 02 Kings just seem out of place since most of the other teams are from the 60s-90s and their rivals were the 3peat Lakers, just sayin.

2. Will we now just have to use the stick to shoot or can we still press a button.

3. How was the 95 Magic? Which historic team that you played with impressed you the most? Which legend has been the most fun to play with?

4. Can we choose which historic teams we want to unlock first?

thanks

# 139 jr2424 @ 09/04/11 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsalas76
Thanks Jr for all the information you provided thus far. I'm not sure if you would know this or if you could even say the answer to my first question but

1. are there going to be other teams from the 2000s other than the 02 Kings? I read in an article that you can have the 2008 Celtics vs the 65 Celtics. Also, the 02 Kings just seem out of place since most of the other teams are from the 60s-90s and their rivals were the 3peat Lakers, just sayin.

2. Will we now just have to use the stick to shoot or can we still press a button.

3. How was the 95 Magic? Which historic team that you played with impressed you the most? Which legend has been the most fun to play with?

4. Can we choose which historic teams we want to unlock first?

thanks
1. From what I saw that would be the only team from the 2000. But I wouldn't be surprised if they release dlc this year. I wasn't told that, it's just a guess.

2. You can still press the button to shoot. I like to shoot my jumpers with the button and drive with the stick. I was able to do that when I played. But pulling off stepbacks and learners are with the stick. So I might try to use the stick more with shooting this year.

3. I wanted to play with the 95 Magic but it wasn't unlocked so i played against them. They really gave me fits in the one quarter i played against them. I'm not a rockets fan but that squad with Hakeem and all of their shooters was fun to play with. I was doing work with Moses Malone in the post. The post controls are so much better this year.

4. Yep. You just have to win the matchup and both teams are unlocked. So if you beat the 95 Magic with the Ewing-led Knicks you can then play with both teams. I want to also try out the old-school Knicks squad with Earl the Pearl, Clyde Frazier and Willis Reed. That will be another tough squad.

# 140 jr2424 @ 09/04/11 05:57 AM
Quote:
JR, i forgot to ask if the flick flick shots are the same this year (LT+RS) like will the hakeem dream shake be done using LT and the right analog stick or did they change the way you do up and unders and those other flick flick moves ?
Rob wanted me to do the Dream Shake when I was playing with Hakeem but my post skills are mediocre at best. He did say flicking the stick was part of it but I forget what else needed to be done to pull off the move. But I was able to pump fake then step through, which I couldn't do last year because of my post game deficiencies. With the Y button controlling the backdowns it allows for more post moves to be pulled off without using the triggers. But the triggers will be needed for advanced moves (Dream Shake)

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.