Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Sim Citi checks in with this new NBA 2K12 article, going over the removal of the force field that kept offensive players from going out of bounds.

Quote:
To the untrained eye NBA 2K12 may not have that one single gameplay advancement that is overwhelmingly impressive. However, the strength of this years title, could lie in the combined effectiveness of the numerous smaller changes. This polish, and fine tuning, that is usually only accomplished with matured code; can add up to a great gameplay experience.

One of those changes that many may have overlooked is the removal of the force field that kept the offense from going out of bounds.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 blacboy @ 09/04/11 11:10 AM
Good article man. More strategy equals better game. I can't wait anymore for this game so i must put myself in my cryo-stasis chamber until OCT 4, holla!!!

# 2 Knickerbocker @ 09/04/11 11:23 AM
Great stuff. Not only more strategy but also eliminates the mindless baseline drives most people do online. Between this, the new play system and other improvements it looks like ranked games might become enjoyable again.

# 3 rspencer86 @ 09/04/11 11:28 AM
This all sounds great, but I hope corner threes don't become impossible like they were in some of the other basketball titles of the past.

# 4 Goffs @ 09/04/11 11:38 AM
No more bump animations where the player would bump the handler and he does an animation where stumbles back while dribbling? I've gotten called some backcourts for that animation....

# 5 NYdreams @ 09/04/11 11:40 AM
big deal to me... along with the new collision system that needed to be improved ... because i seriously hated when it looked like i was gonna dunk but all of a sudden my whole animation changed and i did some other ish...

# 6 iLLosophy @ 09/04/11 11:41 AM
Force field was just fine. It was the difference between hop stepping behind the 3pt line and hop stepping out of bounds.

This is actually disappointing. So many times I got called for out of bounds when I wasn't, or the defense pushed me out. The "force field" at least made it somewhat balanced. I hope there is new play mechanics so players know where to put their feet.

# 7 greekmen @ 09/04/11 11:53 AM
Great read. A whole new strategy will be created.

Looks like Da Czar is using Fast Draw.

# 8 Da_Czar @ 09/04/11 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLosophy
Force field was just fine. It was the difference between hop stepping behind the 3pt line and hop stepping out of bounds.

This is actually disappointing. So many times I got called for out of bounds when I wasn't, or the defense pushed me out. The "force field" at least made it somewhat balanced. I hope there is new play mechanics so players know where to put their feet.
That is the other side of the coin for sure. Are you talking about step backs to three and out of bounds ILL ? Or hop steps where your moving forward ? Do you have some video of that ?

What I saw was mostly me trying a step back right next to the baseline. In real life I would have never tried it but I forgot I didn't have that extra protection.

The hard bumpback animation either doesn't play or only plays when you run directly into the defenses chest. There are so many different animations I am not sure were talking about the same one's when it comes to step backs.

I would encourage you to see how it feels during the demo and provide feedback if it seems unplayable.

# 9 aloncho11 @ 09/04/11 12:02 PM
Sounds awesome. Great read as always from Da Czar.

# 10 Goffs @ 09/04/11 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
I would encourage you to see how it feels during the demo and provide feedback if it seems unplayable.
so....when will that be? I mean 2k needs as much feed back now...right? right?

# 11 skillz7854 @ 09/04/11 12:10 PM
Quote:

I think it shows more realism now then it did 2k11. I'm pretty sure they have implanted player mechanics to where players know where to put there feet.

# 12 eko718 @ 09/04/11 12:11 PM
I can see this making a big, big difference. I love these little details.

# 13 Kurupt_XxX @ 09/04/11 12:12 PM
lets hope it doesn't affect corner threes

# 14 Da_Czar @ 09/04/11 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
so....when will that be? I mean 2k needs as much feed back now...right? right?
LOL I have no idea Goffs.

# 15 iLLosophy @ 09/04/11 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
That is the other side of the coin for sure. Are you talking about step backs to three and out of bounds ILL ? Or step backs where your moving forward ? Do you have some video of that ?

What I saw was mostly me trying a step back right next to the baseline. In real life I would have never tried it but I forgot I didn't have that extra protection.

The hard bumpback animation either doesn't play or only plays when you run directly into the defenses chest. There are so many different animations I am not sure were talking about the same one's when it comes to step backs.

I'm talking about the Y button hopstep backwards. Or the one where you are running and you push the shot stick away from the basket. Both end up in similar jump-back-shoot animations, but the first one is the one I used the most to try to get behind the 3pt line without actually running back there (when i first played 2k11, I did sometimes run out of bounds, even with the force field).

(just to clarify, in this post i'm talking about the corner 3 area.)

I think the problem is a bigger issue in that the corner 3pt area in a video game there's a lot less room for error than in real life. I'm 6'2 and i can easily run along the sideline to the corner 3pter, turn around and run back without stepping out of bounds or on the 3pt line. But in video games pasts (not just 2k series), it seems like you had maybe 2-3 pixels to work with before you either step on the line or step out of bounds. But in reality there is a lot more wiggle room there. The force field kind of balanced that out, for if i tried to tap my controller slightly in any direction, i risk my guy doing an animation in which his foot steps on the line.

Have you tried doing triple threat out of the corner and seeing if it results in steps on the line?

# 16 Da_Czar @ 09/04/11 12:19 PM
Quote:
I'm talking about the Y button hopstep backwards. Or the one where you are running and you push the shot stick away from the basket. Both end up in similar jump-back-shoot animations, but the first one is the one I used the most to try to get behind the 3pt line without actually running back there (when i first played 2k11, I did sometimes run out of bounds, even with the force field).

I think the problem is a bigger issue in that the corner 3pt area in a video game theres a lot less room for error than in real life. I'm 6'2 and i can easily run along the sideline to the corner 3pter, turn around and run back without stepping out of bounds or on the 3pt line. But in video games pasts (not just 2k series), it seems like you had maybe 2-3 pixels to work with before you either step on the line or step out of bounds. But in reality there is a lot more wiggle room there. The force field kind of balanced that out, for if i tried to tap my controller slightly in any direction, i risk my guy doing an animation in which his foot steps on the line.

Have you tried doing triple threat out of the corner and seeing if it results in steps on the line?
Not the degree where I can say with certainty that isn't a problem ILL. I didn't see it as a negative and there were no instances where I felt cheated but I wasn't down there 20 times a game either. If I play again before the demo I will definitely look into that.

I honestly wasn't aware that people were having an issue with stepping out of bounds in last years game. Let's keep in touch on this issue.

If it turns out to be an issue what besides making the floor bigger can you think of as a solution to this ? Anyone ?

# 17 TheKasmar @ 09/04/11 12:20 PM
Quote:
When the sideline witness protection is turned off. You have a completely different dynamic on baseline and sideline drives to the basket
Great Write-Up

This will be a big adjustment for alot of players. My first thought, as others said, is the corner three. We've all done it, lead pass to your three point shooter in the corner. Even if its a bad pass that the player has to jump up and catch with all of his momentum going out of bounds, the barrier keeps him inbounds.

2k11 did an outstanding job at making the baseline more balanced(2k10 was a baseline barrier party) by adding in animations that would cause a player to lose the ball, pick up their dribble and force offensive players you out of bounds. Now players will have to be extra careful how they appoach the baseline in 2k12

# 18 Da_Czar @ 09/04/11 12:21 PM
Quote:

(just to clarify, in this post i'm talking about the corner 3 area.)

I think the problem is a bigger issue in that the corner 3pt area in a video game there's a lot less room for error than in real life. I'm 6'2 and i can easily run along the sideline to the corner 3pter, turn around and run back without stepping out of bounds or on the 3pt line. But in video games pasts (not just 2k series), it seems like you had maybe 2-3 pixels to work with before you either step on the line or step out of bounds. But in reality there is a lot more wiggle room there. The force field kind of balanced that out, for if i tried to tap my controller slightly in any direction, i risk my guy doing an animation in which his foot steps on the line.

On a side note that is much harder to do for me and my size 16's LOL.

# 19 wrestlinggod1 @ 09/04/11 12:23 PM
As long as we have control of our players and aren't forced into animations, I think it will be fine.

# 20 Jakeness23 @ 09/04/11 12:30 PM
with Y controlling post-up/face-up... how do you go about doing a signature gather or a hop step?

PS. Great read, love when a little more strategy is added to the game.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.