Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Sim Citi checks in with this new NBA 2K12 article, going over the removal of the force field that kept offensive players from going out of bounds.

Quote:
To the untrained eye NBA 2K12 may not have that one single gameplay advancement that is overwhelmingly impressive. However, the strength of this years title, could lie in the combined effectiveness of the numerous smaller changes. This polish, and fine tuning, that is usually only accomplished with matured code; can add up to a great gameplay experience.

One of those changes that many may have overlooked is the removal of the force field that kept the offense from going out of bounds.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Knickerbocker @ 09/04/11 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Not the degree where I can say with certainty that isn't a problem ILL. I didn't see it as a negative and there were no instances where I felt cheated but I wasn't down there 20 times a game either. If I play again before the demo I will definitely look into that.

I honestly wasn't aware that people were having an issue with stepping out of bounds in last years game. Let's keep in touch on this issue.

If it turns out to be an issue what besides making the floor bigger can you think of as a solution to this ? Anyone ?
I must say i've played countless of games offline and online (over 300 online) and I never had any kind of problem with stepping over the line, and neither did anyone of the over 300 players I played against. Sure it happens once or twice every few games but that was that. Far from being a problem.

Oh, the only instance where it was a bit wierd was when you were in the corner with a defender in front of you and if u pressed turbo and moved your player, he would go into a running in place animation and always step out of bounds.

I feel that removing the force field will make the users more cautios around the lines as it should be and running near the lines aint much of a problem when u get used to it. It's true it might be hard with some of the cameras though.

# 22 NYdreams @ 09/04/11 12:38 PM
i do remember having a number of problems where i gave the ball to the big man near the basket.. and i tap x to dunk (because nobody is there with me) but it stops me until the defender shows up and it messes up any chance of i had of the perfect play.. i was wondering if thats connection problems because i play other people and it doesnt do that

# 23 iLLosophy @ 09/04/11 12:39 PM
Quote:
On a side note that is much harder to do for me and my size 16's LOL.
Haha. But you get my point right? Ray allen wears size 14's and at his point in his career he knows exactly where to have his feet to square up. He doesn't even think about it. Should be in the same in the video game.

As far as getting pushed out of bounds, it was usually with a canned animation with the defender. Since Rob Jones said all the canned animations are gone, hopefully this will be too. Otherwise, it was an issue in 2k11 but much much much less than any other 2k I played, which is why I was worried when I read your article. I don't mind the bad pass momentum takes you out of bounds, as that balances out making long passes with bad passers. It's just in that 3pt corner area it seems like there are more missed opportunities in that area than in real life (in general bball video gaming). Moreso stepping on the 3pt line then stepping out of bounds.

# 24 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 09/04/11 12:42 PM
I assume this has been fixed with the new running with the ball animation, but my concern is that sometimes I would throw an outlet pass and try to take off running but for some reason it would make my player run in a very rounded out motion where I'd end up running into the forcefield for a few seconds before it would allow me to turn up court. It was basically out of my control of where my player would go at first when I ran with turbo, but again, I assume that's been fixed with this new running animation and I'm sure 2k wouldn't have taken the forcefield out unless they were very confident that running out of bounds wouldn't be a big issue.

# 25 stillfeelme @ 09/04/11 12:59 PM
It sounds like if you time your double teams just right when players are in the corner you can force a turnover basically real bball. The sideline is your third defender. I will only use the sidelines for pump fakes and then drives or when I plan on shooting there. I will have to be open for a while for me me to try a backup so i will use a walking animation.
I don't see me trying to run on the 3pti line in the corner for any other reason.

Czar,

Does the game allow you to do do any sig gathers that take you out of bounds?

It would be cool if 2K added some sideline tippy toe animations that can take you in or out of bounds

# 26 youvalss @ 09/04/11 01:00 PM
This is a great addition. But I think we would need 100% accurate and responsive controls to go along with that. I don't think it's worth if we don't have that extra-accurate controls.

# 27 shayellis @ 09/04/11 01:04 PM
DA Czar,

Do you know if they get rid of those rainbow shots on the baseline?

# 28 ClevelandinDistress @ 09/04/11 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayellis
DA Czar,

They shouldnt get rid of them as they are a part of REAL basketball. Just tone it down a bit and allow a regular jumpsuit at a tougher angle.

# 29 Da_Czar @ 09/04/11 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLosophy
Haha. But you get my point right? Ray allen wears size 14's and at his point in his career he knows exactly where to have his feet to square up. He doesn't even think about it. Should be in the same in the video game.

As far as getting pushed out of bounds, it was usually with a canned animation with the defender. Since Rob Jones said all the canned animations are gone, hopefully this will be too. Otherwise, it was an issue in 2k11 but much much much less than any other 2k I played, which is why I was worried when I read your article. I don't mind the bad pass momentum takes you out of bounds, as that balances out making long passes with bad passers. It's just in that 3pt corner area it seems like there are more missed opportunities in that area than in real life (in general bball video gaming). Moreso stepping on the 3pt line then stepping out of bounds.
Understood. Just as you saw less from 10 to 11. 12 will be even more so in that direction. Player control is better and the player to player contact is more contextual. It won't be perfect but it should be noticeably better. Glad you brought that up,it's important to look at both sides of possible changes.

I think you can see from some of the videos that the defense isn't trying to cut you off on defense when your retreating from the basket. That is what pissed me off last year about the contact. The defense is to be concerned with protecting the basket and not eliminating all offensive movement LOL

That alone has opened up the range of movement for the offense. So you have a free range of movement. The main bump or the strongest that you should receive is if you go into the chest of the defense.

Hopefully I can get another crack at the game prior to the demo and I can look into this more thoroughly.

# 30 Da_Czar @ 09/04/11 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYdreams
i do remember having a number of problems where i gave the ball to the big man near the basket.. and i tap x to dunk (because nobody is there with me) but it stops me until the defender shows up and it messes up any chance of i had of the perfect play.. i was wondering if thats connection problems because i play other people and it doesnt do that
I wonder if that was just the 2 player shot contest animations. If so then the new engine for contact takes care of 97% ( yes i grabbed that out of my shorts) of those issues. Not having any video however I can't say for certain.

# 31 Da_Czar @ 09/04/11 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayellis
DA Czar,

I honestly can not remember if I saw any rainbowbrite Jumpers. I saw the game a good amount at different stages of development so some of it kind of flows together on what was and was not working. I look forward to getting my hands on it again now that it is near final.

# 32 Da_Czar @ 09/04/11 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
This is a great addition. But I think we would need 100% accurate and responsive controls to go along with that. I don't think it's worth if we don't have that extra-accurate controls.
I agree. It's up to each individual gamer to decide if the control we have is enough. I thought they made a big jump between 10 and 11 and I think 12 also represents a big jump. Is that big enough for everyone ?

Impossible to answer but it is easily the best controlling 2K game there is to me.

I know some feel strongly about 2k8 when it comes to that conversation but you have to account for those 15 second animations that game had as well I do thnk 2k8 handled better in some instances that 2k11 but it is no where as smooth as 2k12 IMHO of course.

# 33 iLLosophy @ 09/04/11 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandinDistress
They shouldnt get rid of them as they are a part of REAL basketball. Just tone it down a bit and allow a regular jumpsuit at a tougher angle.
I'd prefer to see a sideways leaner. I think either way you need to be punished for taking a bad shot, but a sideways leaner/fadeway would be the most probable shot taken in that circumstance. Maybe even an up and under if you're close enough.

# 34 Da_Czar @ 09/04/11 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
It sounds like if you time your double teams just right when players are in the corner you can force a turnover basically real bball. The sideline is your third defender. I will only use the sidelines for pump fakes and then drives or when I plan on shooting there. I will have to be open for a while for me me to try a backup so i will use a walking animation.
I don't see me trying to run on the 3pti line in the corner for any other reason.

Czar,

Does the game allow you to do do any sig gathers that take you out of bounds?

It would be cool if 2K added some sideline tippy toe animations that can take you in or out of bounds
I don't recall seeing any of those tippy toe animations.

# 35 Da_Czar @ 09/04/11 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
I assume this has been fixed with the new running with the ball animation, but my concern is that sometimes I would throw an outlet pass and try to take off running but for some reason it would make my player run in a very rounded out motion where I'd end up running into the forcefield for a few seconds before it would allow me to turn up court. It was basically out of my control of where my player would go at first when I ran with turbo, but again, I assume that's been fixed with this new running animation and I'm sure 2k wouldn't have taken the forcefield out unless they were very confident that running out of bounds wouldn't be a big issue.
Yes the new animation I BELIEVE takes care of that. I certainly didn't have any issues with it.

# 36 wrestlinggod1 @ 09/04/11 01:32 PM

So if I try moves like those, would I be successful? Or would I get bumped out of bounds?

# 37 Da_Czar @ 09/04/11 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlinggod1

So if I try moves like those, would I be successful? Or would I get bumped out of bounds?
I haven't reviewed nearly enough baseline drives to make an absolute statement like that. I can say it's not like you can't drive baseline. In those video's he clearly beat his man. But if you tried a step back move in those situations you would find yourself out of bounds just like he would.

In those videos the defense wasn't there to cause any contact either so every situation depends on the players ... their location.. and their momentum.

# 38 iLLosophy @ 09/04/11 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlinggod1
Think you raised a bigger issue...should this be turned into a rating? 99% sure this is too late for 2k12, but you just posted videos of a star player. If i tried that move with a lower tier player, should I be able to pull that move off, or would they have less court awareness and run out of bounds? Certain players are good about not stepping on the lines, and some aren't. Should this be a factor in the game?

# 39 wrestlinggod1 @ 09/04/11 01:51 PM
Quote:
I haven't reviewed nearly enough baseline drives to make an absolute statement like that. I can say it's not like you can't drive baseline. In those video's he clearly beat his man. But if you tried a step back move in those situations you would find yourself out of bounds just like he would.

In those videos the defense wasn't there to cause any contact either so every situation depends on the players ... their location.. and their momentum.
That's good to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLosophy
Think you raised a bigger issue...should this be turned into a rating? 99% sure this is too late for 2k12, but you just posted videos of a star player. If i tried that move with a lower tier player, should I be able to pull that move off, or would they have less court awareness and run out of bounds? Certain players are good about not stepping on the lines, and some aren't. Should this be a factor in the game?
Sorry I just like to post highlights with the Heat whenever I can.
But yeah I believe awareness and ball handling should play a huge role in whether a player steps out or not. If not for this year, then definitely next year.

# 40 aloncho11 @ 09/04/11 01:54 PM
Many stats come into play like Off. Awareness, ball handling, speed, quickness, shoot in traffic, shoot of dribble. The same goes for the defenders, whether they have good defending stats for these situations.

So I find it hard for this to fit into one "stand alone" stat. It's a combination of both the offensive player's ratings and the defender's ratings.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.