Home
FIFA Soccer 12 News Post

For those of you with EA Sports Season Ticket, FIFA 12 is available now for both 360 and PS3 users.

Please post your impressions after playing the Season Ticket early release. If you would like to ask a question about the final version of FIFA 12, please use the Question & Answer thread.

Remember, this topic is for impressions of the game, not comparisons or general discussion of the FIFA series, EA Sports, or anything else. FIFA 12 impressions only, please.

Post deemed to be outside the realm of FIFA 12 impressions are subject to deletion. Thank you for your cooperation.

Game: FIFA Soccer 12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
FIFA Soccer 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 carnalnirvana @ 09/24/11 03:13 AM
i have a couple of gripes with the game, defending still leaves alot to be desired.

tactical defending used by the AI is a bit wonky and they get beat 9/10 times by attackers. cpu attackers still shift from side to side and turn soooooo fast defenders are often left flat footed. Also while i am pleased with player/user AI positioning most times, the fundamental defending logic is still severly broken as the game does not understand that defending is done as a unit.

man marking seems to work and i was pleased with the results i got when i matched players up on strikers.

tricks are being done by the wrong players, drogba doing roulettes/heel flicks/chops etc

a pleasant surprise was in the edit team screen, in previous years when editing players/teams if you wanted to edit in seria A but your profile/fav team was in the EPL it always defaulted back to the EPL team forcing you find the that team after each player edited now it stays on the team you are editing

i believe if you use everything the game lets you customize you can force the game to play good football, EX. use slders, custom formations( i feel the default ones are too bland especially the wonky work rate settings), man marking/tactics and re rated players(when necessary).

judging from gameplay only(my main focus) the only way this game will disappoint you is if you are an absolute football nut. if you like fifa you should love this game.....

# 42 Altimus @ 09/24/11 03:15 AM
I thought increasing the number count of the slider increases the error of that category. So wouldn't passing at 30 make the AI's passing even better?

# 43 slthree @ 09/24/11 03:29 AM
One Full game played as the United States

Lost 4-1 to the Netherlands

Game is visually a feast. It's beautiful. Stadium was awesome
Player Movement is fantastic.
Shooting is great.

Very Happy: CPU seemed to be working the possesion game in the midfield. Lots of passes laterally and a few backwards.

Bummed: I experienced no shots from distance the whole game

Big Problem: CPU never changed formation nor tactic despite blowing me out.

Bigger Problem: When the CPU finally made a change it was aterrible one. They took out Kuyt who was playing the left wing. Kuyt has strong work rate and gets back on defense regularly. He's an unselfish bulldog.

They replaced him with a hotshot kid ( Allefay) who has ZERO defensive aspirations. He's a trickster, a speed demon, offensive minded.

I hope everyone who has the game will pay attention to 2 things please:
1. cpu changing tactics/formation
2. cpu shooting from distance

If those 2 things happen I would buy this game

In my 2nd game and there is no commentary

# 44 slthree @ 09/24/11 04:04 AM
OMG!!!

Using England v Netherlands and CPU Sneijder just had a go from way outside the box.It was a worm burner and an easy save but it was beautiful to see.

Edit: By games end, Sneijder attempted 2 more from distance.

Still, catching up with cpu players is near impossible.

Down 2-0 at the half and the Dutch have 66% possession. Numerous backwards passes as well as the midfielders pulling the ball back themselves.

If you don't know what that means: the ball handler is dribbling forward, probing. I cut him off and instead of immediately passing, he circles and dribbles back toward his goal before deciding to pass or turn upfield again.

This is glorious for a guy who didn't see any such probing in the demo.

I really should be sleeping.

Edit: 3 full games and only 1 foul by the cpu resulting in a free kick

With only 6 minutes left in the game I had a 3-2 lead and the cpu never pushed forward nor did they remove a defender for an attacker

I have not seen the cpu change formation yet.

# 45 RoyceDa59 @ 09/24/11 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus
I thought increasing the number count of the slider increases the error of that category. So wouldn't passing at 30 make the AI's passing even better?
You are right I actually had it set to 65 when I checked my settings don't know where I got 30 from. I should be sleeping instead of play FIFA.

# 46 rckabillyRaider @ 09/24/11 05:49 AM
Royce, you have my thoughts exactly. Game is good, but it's missing something. I can see myself getting bored quick.

The controls and animations are top notch. The sounds are also well done. Liked hearing the built in chant for Robbie Keane.

I set the cpu pass error to 100 and they still hit at least 80% of their passes and still out possessed me around 60-40.

The cpu keeper is way too good. Playing on world class and 9 min qtrs I got off 10 shots on target and scored none. Gotta play some more tomorrow when I'm not sleepy. Lol

# 47 Tomba @ 09/24/11 07:12 AM
Like sithree I too can not score from long range but it feels more like football kingdom in that respect so it's not all bad..

The thing rock and royce will become bored of will be the adboards like myself. Watch it'll be the factor trust me thats why you guys cant put a finger in it its something so obvious yet it's beyond normal comprehension

Admittedly some of the stadiums are downright gorgeous...

Playing in some Germany stadia/stadiums and it was like the real thing. Missing though is the progressive lighting that Madden 12 has...

There are two things that make the game for me right now after ALOT of plating I'm at about the 12 hr mark...

1)Gameplay against the AI/CPU. Feels like it's human. With slider settings set for Pro difficutly for me i'm getting the most realistic gameplay EVER in a soccer/futbol game.
2)Commentary! The commentary follows the play PERFECTLY. It's like a real tv game match. ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT

And there's the two things that make the game boring and uninteresting

1)Career Mode is a bland excuse for being pretty much a trade and transfer game with no real "club" excitement etc. They've improved the interface but it takes FOREVER to play a game within he set up with all the fixture simulating etc etc. it's annoying boring and doesn't resemble a EUROPEAN experience at all
2)They got the grass right, but adboards and the fact that you do not feel like you are in a international country stinks. They should really start to implement an outside of the stadium presentation

# 48 CarryTheWeight @ 09/24/11 07:40 AM
Played a few games last night after I got home from work and...man. I was destroyed. In the first half of my first Toronto FC/Vancouver tilt from BC Place, I seemed to handle the new controls and defensive philosophy well, until I started making small mistakes that led to goals. It's almost like you need to be aware of many things at once and pay attention to what's going on around you, not necessarily the player with the ball as you could in years past. Final score of game 1? 0-0 at halftime, 5-0 Vancouver fulltime.

Second game was just as ugly, if not a thousand percent worse. My Bolton side was absolutely throttled by Stoke from the opening whistle, as AI Peter Crouch came away with a dumbfounding five goals by the time the 7-0 Stoke massacre was in the books. I still have a long way to go, even for someone as experienced with the series as I thought I was. Oh well, baby steps...

Not sure if this is a problem with the PS3 version or if the Season Ticket version excludes this completely, but Clive Tyldesley and Andy Townsend's commentary is not there - the opening graphics mention them but no audio plays. I'm not so concerned as long as it's there on the retail version, but I just found it strange that a feature promoted by EA isn't fully implemented in the Season Ticket edition - proof, at least, that these pre-release versions shouldn't be taken as the "real McCoy" just yet.

# 49 Tomba @ 09/24/11 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
Played a few games last night after I got home from work and...man. I was destroyed. In the first half of my first Toronto FC/Vancouver tilt from BC Place, I seemed to handle the new controls and defensive philosophy well, until I started making small mistakes that led to goals. It's almost like you need to be aware of many things at once and pay attention to what's going on around you, not necessarily the player with the ball as you could in years past. Final score of game 1? 0-0 at halftime, 5-0 Vancouver fulltime.

Second game was just as ugly, if not a thousand percent worse. My Bolton side was absolutely throttled by Stoke from the opening whistle, as AI Peter Crouch came away with a dumbfounding five goals by the time the 7-0 Stoke massacre was in the books. I still have a long way to go, even for someone as experienced with the series as I thought I was. Oh well, baby steps...

Not sure if this is a problem with the PS3 version or if the Season Ticket version excludes this completely, but Clive Tyldesley and Andy Townsend's commentary is not there - the opening graphics mention them but no audio plays. I'm not so concerned as long as it's there on the retail version, but I just found it strange that a feature promoted by EA isn't fully implemented in the Season Ticket edition - proof, at least, that these pre-release versions shouldn't be taken as the "real McCoy" just yet.

I played in BC Place it was fun

# 50 Adzs K2 @ 09/24/11 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slthree
One Full game played as the United States

Lost 4-1 to the Netherlands

Game is visually a feast. It's beautiful. Stadium was awesome
Player Movement is fantastic.
Shooting is great.

Very Happy: CPU seemed to be working the possesion game in the midfield. Lots of passes laterally and a few backwards.

Bummed: I experienced no shots from distance the whole game

Big Problem: CPU never changed formation nor tactic despite blowing me out.

Bigger Problem: When the CPU finally made a change it was aterrible one. They took out Kuyt who was playing the left wing. Kuyt has strong work rate and gets back on defense regularly. He's an unselfish bulldog.

They replaced him with a hotshot kid ( Allefay) who has ZERO defensive aspirations. He's a trickster, a speed demon, offensive minded.

I hope everyone who has the game will pay attention to 2 things please:
1. cpu changing tactics/formation
2. cpu shooting from distance

If those 2 things happen I would buy this game

In my 2nd game and there is no commentary
Your ''big problem'' isn't a problem at all loool why would you CHANGE tactic if your destroying the opposition???
Your ''Bigger problem'' also made absolutely no sense to me if they're beating you 4-1, why would they have a problem putting on someone who will attack you even more from the flanks in place of someone whos defensively minded? Man U didn't beat Arsenal 8-2 () by taking off ashley young (whos not the best defender) and putting on Ji Sung Park (who like Kuyt is defensively minded)...
If anything the problems you thought to highlight I looked at and thought that the game seems to have increased in realism, not regressed....
Just saying

# 51 sventheone @ 09/24/11 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight

You can Change the commentary in the settings before the start of the game under audio, Martin Tyler and Alan smith are set to default.

# 52 CarryTheWeight @ 09/24/11 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sventheone
You can Change the commentary in the settings before the start of the game under audio, Martin Tyler and Alan smith are set to default.
I'm aware of that and had both commentary teams pop up in matches, but only Martin and Alan's track actually plays. Like I said, Clive and Andy's names pop up in the intro but no audio is heard during the game. Must be a disk space issue or some kind of strange glitch (PS3 Season Ticket version).

# 53 Krebstar @ 09/24/11 09:49 AM
Two random things, I am seeing shots from distance. If you properly close down and hold your shape, the AI will take shots from distance due to not getting through you.

Second, fast players seem to work better now. With Walcott, if I make a move on a lower tier LB, I'm by them and gone if they're playing me too close. Ratings seem to matter more now.

Another thing, if you're patient on defense and really work to hold and not rush at the ball, the AI will do some brilliant build up. I've seen back passes. Yes, in FIFA. Also, the AI switching sides of the field many times to try and find a better attack.

# 54 PeruvianPlaya954 @ 09/24/11 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
Like sithree I too can not score from long range but it feels more like football kingdom in that respect so it's not all bad..

The thing rock and royce will become bored of will be the adboards like myself. Watch it'll be the factor trust me thats why you guys cant put a finger in it its something so obvious yet it's beyond normal comprehension

Admittedly some of the stadiums are downright gorgeous...

Playing in some Germany stadia/stadiums and it was like the real thing. Missing though is the progressive lighting that Madden 12 has...

There are two things that make the game for me right now after ALOT of plating I'm at about the 12 hr mark...

1)Gameplay against the AI/CPU. Feels like it's human. With slider settings set for Pro difficutly for me i'm getting the most realistic gameplay EVER in a soccer/futbol game.
2)Commentary! The commentary follows the play PERFECTLY. It's like a real tv game match. ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT

And there's the two things that make the game boring and uninteresting

1)Career Mode is a bland excuse for being pretty much a trade and transfer game with no real "club" excitement etc. They've improved the interface but it takes FOREVER to play a game within he set up with all the fixture simulating etc etc. it's annoying boring and doesn't resemble a EUROPEAN experience at all
2)They got the grass right, but adboards and the fact that you do not feel like you are in a international country stinks. They should really start to implement an outside of the stadium presentation
At first it was funny, but by the 100th time, it's just annoying. Give it up.

# 55 therizing02 @ 09/24/11 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krebstar
Two random things, I am seeing shots from distance. If you properly close down and hold your shape, the AI will take shots from distance due to not getting through you.

Second, fast players seem to work better now. With Walcott, if I make a move on a lower tier LB, I'm by them and gone if they're playing me too close. Ratings seem to matter more now.

Another thing, if you're patient on defense and really work to hold and not rush at the ball, the AI will do some brilliant build up. I've seen back passes. Yes, in FIFA. Also, the AI switching sides of the field many times to try and find a better attack.
I have seen all of this including volley from outside the 18yd. box from the CPU. If you really want a a challenge defensively, take on Barcelona at World Class and try to contain them for 90 minutes.

I thought I did well to hold them to 1 goal for 70 minutes. They scored a second on defensive breakdown and I went Ultra Attack and they slammed home two more on the counterattack in less than 10 minutes. None of the goals felt cheap and/or scripted. Best 4-0 loss ever.

On another note, I'm going to try to set up a couple of generic CTT to see if I'm able to generate more fouls in the game. There is no doubt that this is a problem. I'm playing 10 minute halves and have already played 3 full games where I didn't see 1 foul. The most total fouls I've seen in a game is 5 and that's only happened once.

# 56 rckabillyRaider @ 09/24/11 12:29 PM
they opened up the ability to work the ball around the box this year which is a good thing. Crossing from the flanks and attacking down the flanks in general, is still the bread and butter though. Also sprinting toward the edge of the box, stopping on a dime and cutting inside then taking the shot is still very effective.

# 57 slthree @ 09/24/11 12:54 PM
You do realize the game didn't actually start out 4-1, right?

It was a progression. 1-0, 2-0, and so on. Nevertheless, the cpu didn't change tactics or formaion at any point and the substitution they made was a poor one.

One game alone does not mean it's a trend but in the next few games I played the cpu was equally poor in terms of formations, tactics, and substitutions.

So far, every sub I've seen is "like for like".

I'm only one person with a few games under his belt. I'm sure others will weigh in.

I want to love this game. I've made it clear that it has blown me away in many aspects. But if I'm up 3-2 with 6 or 7 minutes left and the cpu doesn't push numbers forward, doesn't change formation, doesn't pull a defender for an attacker, well... thats a big problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzs K2
Your ''big problem'' isn't a problem at all loool why would you CHANGE tactic if your destroying the opposition???
Your ''Bigger problem'' also made absolutely no sense to me if they're beating you 4-1, why would they have a problem putting on someone who will attack you even more from the flanks in place of someone whos defensively minded? Man U didn't beat Arsenal 8-2 () by taking off ashley young (whos not the best defender) and putting on Ji Sung Park (who like Kuyt is defensively minded)...
If anything the problems you thought to highlight I looked at and thought that the game seems to have increased in realism, not regressed....
Just saying

# 58 ROABS @ 09/24/11 01:10 PM
Ive played about 20 games so far using player lock in both a player career and a player/manager career both with liverpool on world class. I am really enjoying the way my A.I teamates play this season, they make nice through balls,crosses and shots when called upon. Ive had up and down games much like liverpools season so far I like how teams are persistant when they want to buy a player and will come back with different offers if you deny them. As a manager its nice having players asking for more playing time or letting you know they are happy you gave them playing time in a certain game. The interviews before big games are a nice addition also and the transfer day deadline going in hourly increments is a nice change. With the addition of sliders this year i think most people should be able to make the game play how they want in regards to difficulty.

# 59 nccomicfan @ 09/24/11 03:04 PM
I am surprised that none of the folk who have played at BC Place have mentioned the nice graphical touch that you can see the CFL yard lines faintly on the pitch.

# 60 sva91 @ 09/24/11 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nccomicfan
I am surprised that none of the folk who have played at BC Place have mentioned the nice graphical touch that you can see the CFL yard lines faintly on the pitch.
Nice.. I was curious about how it would look. Is the lighting different? I believe it is the only closed stadium in the entire game.

Any new usmnt faces?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.