Home
FIFA Soccer 12 News Post

For those of you with EA Sports Season Ticket, FIFA 12 is available now for both 360 and PS3 users.

Please post your impressions after playing the Season Ticket early release. If you would like to ask a question about the final version of FIFA 12, please use the Question & Answer thread.

Remember, this topic is for impressions of the game, not comparisons or general discussion of the FIFA series, EA Sports, or anything else. FIFA 12 impressions only, please.

Post deemed to be outside the realm of FIFA 12 impressions are subject to deletion. Thank you for your cooperation.

Game: FIFA Soccer 12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
FIFA Soccer 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 slthree @ 09/25/11 02:31 PM
Earlier, I expressed dissapointment that the cpu does not change formation or tactic when it should. On top of that, the subs it did make were all "like for like"

I'm wondering if this was only because my matches were exhibition and the cpu doesn't care about tactics?

Has anyone, or will anyone, try playing a more meaningful game - perhaps a World Cup tourney or League season game - to see if the cpu uses formation changes and tactic adjustments? It would be amazing if they did.

I'll try to get around to it when I can (hope to learn this by the time my 3 days runs out) but I'm competing with a wife, 2 teen girls, and a 2.5 year old for the big screen. Now you know why I have to play when everyone sleeps

# 82 LucianoJJ @ 09/25/11 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slthree
I'll try to get around to it when I can (hope to learn this by the time my 3 days runs out) but I'm competing with a wife, 2 teen girls, and a 2.5 year old for the big screen. Now you know why I have to play when everyone sleeps

I have to compete with a wife and sons for the TVs. My solution is to connect the PS3 to the computer monitor with a handy HDMI cable.

# 83 EatableclownV @ 09/25/11 06:35 PM
Fifa 12 is pretty good imo, doesn't feel that great a step up from 11. Still having difficulty adjusting to the new tackling system, but it is miles better then the homing missile tackle system seen in last years game. THe lack of man marking in the box hurts a bit saying that though i love the feel on finally having some space and using players speed when attacking.

I've been mainly been playing manager mode with Man City, currently sitting 3rd on 41 points behind Man United and Chelsea who are on 45 and 44 respectively. THough the transfer window has just opened out and after stories in the media all season long about Tevez not enjoying the weather and then saying he doesn't want a trade it has become too much for him and he wants out. Sadly he is my leading goalkicker with 18 and the next best in the competition is a couple with 11. I'm happy to find him a transfer though as Aguerro is incredible and can slot into his spot. I thought the media releases and short interviews etc is all pretty good in manager mode though i would like them to bring back the coach and stadium upgrade system like in years past

# 84 slthree @ 09/25/11 07:26 PM
Finally got to play today, 2 games.

The cpu logic is just broken unless I'm missing something. I tried 2 different tournament games with "knockout" setting so that every game was very impotant

In the first game, I took a 2-0 lead into the half and expected the cpu to come out with a different formation and a different attack style. It did not.

3 subs were made by the cpu in the 2nd half. All of them were "like for like". That was hard to see too.

At no point in the game did the cpu change formation, change shape, change a defender for an attacker, or even change urgency.

The game is beautiful and there are so many things to like, but if the cpu does not adjust when ahead or when trailing... its unplayable for me.

# 85 sventheone @ 09/25/11 07:34 PM
Quote:
Finally got to play today, 2 games.

The cpu logic is just broken unless I'm missing something. I tried 2 different tournament games with "knockout" setting so that every game was very impotant

In the first game, I took a 2-0 lead into the half and expected the cpu to come out with a different formation and a different attack style. It did not.

3 subs were made by the cpu in the 2nd half. All of them were "like for like". That was hard to see too.

At no point in the game did the cpu change formation, change shape, change a defender for an attacker, or even change urgency.

The game is beautiful and there are so many things to like, but if the cpu does not adjust when ahead or when trailing... its unplayable for me.
I played the heck out of last years version. I am loving it so far. There are some things that need to be fixed, over active impact engine for example. To me, the game seems more realistic than last year. I have to get creative to score. I can no longer run up the side lines and cross for my money goals. I respect anyone's opinion on here, but to call this game unplayable? To each his own I suppose. Keep playing and try to focus on the positives.

# 86 slthree @ 09/25/11 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sventheone
I played the heck out of last years version. I am loving it so far. There are some things that need to be fixed, over active impact engine for example. To me, the game seems more realistic than last year. I have to get creative to score. I can no longer run up the side lines and cross for my money goals. I respect anyone's opinion on here, but to call this game unplayable? To each his own I suppose. Keep playing and try to focus on the positives.
Oh, I agree about the improvements and I love the way I have to build up to get a shot off. That part of the game is great. There are a lot of aspects in FIFA that are great.

I love that I see possession play from the cpu and the occasional shot from distance.

But, for me, I want to experience what its like to be up by a goal or two late in a game, when the opposition throws everything forward.

I want to see defenders go off and attackers come on. I want to HAVE to survive an onslaught to hold a slim lead.

Conversley, when down a goal late, I want to experience the frustration of throwing everyone forward, trying to get a shot off against a "bunkered" defense, hoping I don't give up a quick goal on the counter attack.

To be up or down and not see a difference in the cpu tactics is boring and uneventful. But, I'm just speaking for me, not anyone else.

# 87 NoDakHusker @ 09/25/11 09:15 PM
I've only played a handful of games, but so far I'm really liking 12. My biggest issue with the game is the lack of fouls, but otherwise I like what I see.
The game just feels better this year, I really like the feel of building up an attack.

# 88 sventheone @ 09/25/11 09:17 PM
Quote:
Oh, I agree about the improvements and I love the way I have to build up to get a shot off. That part of the game is great. There are a lot of aspects in FIFA that are great.

I love that I see possession play from the cpu and the occasional shot from distance.

But, for me, I want to experience what its like to be up by a goal or two late in a game, when the opposition throws everything forward.

I want to see defenders go off and attackers come on. I want to HAVE to survive an onslaught to hold a slim lead.

Conversley, when down a goal late, I want to experience the frustration of throwing everyone forward, trying to get a shot off against a "bunkered" defense, hoping I don't give up a quick goal on the counter attack.

To be up or down and not see a difference in the cpu tactics is boring and uneventful. But, I'm just speaking for me, not anyone else.
Last year I could hold my own fairly well on world class. This year I am having very competitive games on pro. Have you adjusted the difficulty? Have you tried playing head to head online? You might find some of what you are looking for there.

# 89 slthree @ 09/25/11 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sventheone
Last year I could hold my own fairly well on world class. This year I am having very competitive games on pro. Have you adjusted the difficulty? Have you tried playing head to head online? You might find some of what you are looking for there.
Most of my playing is verse the CPU.

That's why it kills me that the cpu won't change formation or tactics.

I'm still holding out slim hope that there is something I'm missing.

# 90 therizing02 @ 09/25/11 10:31 PM
Quote:

Couldn't have said it any better myself. This is exactly how I feel. For the most part all of the games I've played have been one paced. No switch in tactics, mentality, or anything. Add that fouls/free kicks are virtually non-existent and the game just has a lifeless feel to it.

# 91 RoyceDa59 @ 09/25/11 10:52 PM
I am actually enjoying my career mode with Feyenoord, but still a lot of things disappoint me like some of the things therizing mention. Also has anybody noticed some slow down during replays on the PS3?

Also is wish International break was in career mode.

# 92 Guffers @ 09/26/11 12:27 AM
Well I'm switching between enjoyment and sofa punching frustration with this game. The new improvements are great but the lack of fouls and tactical adjustment from the CPU is a really sore point.

I have also decided that the new defending controls are almost a waste of time. All I do is draw myself out of position ball chasing. A far better strategy is to make sure that your team maintains it's shape and only attempt to steal the ball when the chance presents itself. Your AI team mates actually do an ok job of of tackling on their own and I've really noticed the absurd CPU passing percentage come back down to earth now that I'm playing like this. Now I just wish that I wouldn't give up so many soft goals from crosses and that my own crosses were far more effective. In real football there is a palpable whiff of danger when the ball is swung in on a cross. I feel that when the computer crosses but my own team is always beaten soundly by the perfect CPU defense.

Overall this is the best FIFA since 08 for me. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the one patch that they usually issue actually addresses some of the AI problems.

# 93 rckabillyRaider @ 09/26/11 03:39 AM
anyone tried downloading a custom tournament? I downloaded one and once I start it up the groups are all messed up and not how they were originally created. I don't see any option that would let us arrange the teams in whatever group we want either.

# 94 Qb @ 09/26/11 08:45 AM
Quote:

Tactical subs and formation changes have been lacking in FIFA for years, so it doesn't surprise me to hear it's more of the same in '12. However, the salt in the wound is they do a good job with this in their tournament games (eg, Euro20008, WC2010). It was especially prevalent in Euro08 with weaker teams starting the game in defensive formations and really packing it in. I think they canned that idea because it almost made it too difficult relative to the team ability -- scrapping for a 1-0 against San Marino with Germany, really? -- but I suspect it would play out differently with the gameplay changes in FIFA12.

I won't say I've never seen the CPU change formation during a match, although I can easily say it is not the norm. It was often hard to tell without going to the player ratings or team management screen during the game to see the CPU's formation. One thing I know they do is change the mentality because the announcers will make a comment about it. However, I'm not sure it has as much of an effect this year. In FIFA10 (the last one I played a lot offline), I remember holding on for dear life to protect leads, although it's probably worth mentioning that was with all-manual controls (more user mistakes) and 15 minute halves (more time to make said mistakes).

But yeah, adaptive in-game tactics is generally not a strong point of this series and it does hurt the overall experience. I'm wouldn't go so far to say it makes the game unplayable or lifeless for me, but we each have our own outlook on things.

Riz, if we get some head-to-head games in tonight, I'll make sure each substitution requires a complete overhaul of my formation.

# 95 xbxwire @ 09/26/11 09:07 AM
It's not perfect but it's fun. Few things I saw in my career mode on world class

Gerrard attempted 5 shots from 25-30 yards out. None on target but when he had space he let it rip.

Got hit with a beautifully weighted through ball by Liverpool Gerrard to Saurez. A beautiful 30 yard pass behind the half line to Saurez who took a rip past my goalie into the net. Not the kind of goal I ever conceded in FIFA 11.

The play is getting better. There is a little more variety. Turning the CPU pass error up and user pass error up helps the randomness of the game. It's still not perfect tho.

Fouls are still a big problem, namely there aren't enough. BUT you do get penalties in the box I regularly will get one every 4-5 games. Something like that which sounds about right.

Career mode is a lot better. I hadn't been playing Arshavin and he complained.

I've already seen some progression of my players 7 games into my career mode. I have also seen my loanees at other clubs improving as well.

# 96 mjarz02 @ 09/26/11 09:08 AM
If you don't enjoy this game...I feel really bad for you.

# 97 danlongwood @ 09/26/11 09:12 AM
Season ticket once again saved me money. Like Madden I tried out Fifa 12 and although there were some really good things about the game I chose to take a pass on buying it. Matter of fact, I havent even played it since Saturday night since i knew it wasnt for me.

Biggest flaw is the extreme lack of fouls/cards during game play. Logic would dictate that EA would patch the problem or tune the problem but that can't be guaranteed and I'm not wasting 60 bucks if they don't. After all, Madden's had this problem with lack of penalties, especially pass interference for at least 6 years and have never fixed it.

# 98 chelios7 @ 09/26/11 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlongwood
Season ticket once again saved me money. Like Madden I tried out Fifa 12 and although there were some really good things about the game I chose to take a pass on buying it. Matter of fact, I havent even played it since Saturday night since i knew it wasnt for me.

Biggest flaw is the extreme lack of fouls/cards during game play. Logic would dictate that EA would patch the problem or tune the problem but that can't be guaranteed and I'm not wasting 60 bucks if they don't. After all, Madden's had this problem with lack of penalties, especially pass interference for at least 6 years and have never fixed it.
Lack of cards/fouls just isnt enough of a reason for me not to buy an otherwise great game. Its just not a deal breaker for me. It really seems like more and more people pick one thing that they can focus on as a reason to skip a game and act like its a critical flaw that breaks the game. If it is truly the case that these flaws are dealbreakers, then really we wouldnt be able to play ANY of the sports titles available. All of them have something that just isnt realistic about them.

I love sports and enjoy sports games, so I try to look at a game as a flawed but hopefully fun interpretation of the real game that I love. I still think the original NBA Jam Tournament Edition is one of the best sports games of all time and that thing is in no way realistic, but its highly entertaining. Thats good enough for me.

# 99 Krebstar @ 09/26/11 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlongwood

I've been a huge critic of FIFA over the years, but other than the lack of fouls I'm really enjoying the game.

I'm also rather confident that they will address it with a patch, as during the demo they spoke about how they knew it needed to be addressed. I don't see them just ignoring what will surely be loud noises about it. The fact that they've already talked about it leads me to believe they want to fix it.

Right now, between both teams I'm averaging 1-4 fouls a game. If we can get it back up to last year's standard, I'd be happy.

# 100 Maxflier @ 09/26/11 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krebstar
I don't see them just ignoring what will surely be loud noises about it.
Yeah, surely EA would never ignore their customers...
Just ask all the people who haven't been able to play their copies of Fifa 11 online for 2 months now because of EA's server snafu that they refuse to address.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.