Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 23 @ 10/19/11 01:17 AM
Great work as usual Czar...

# 22 richmo @ 10/19/11 02:09 AM
Thanks Czar, taught me a couple useful things.

From what I saw out the vid and from testing myself, there is a set number of speeds for each level of defense you apply (in ascending order of speed):

Regular Movement
1. Hop
2. Walk/Light shuffle
3. Jog/Medium shuffle

One thing I noticed is that, though the speeds are the same, there are two sets of animations for regular movement which are related to distance from the ballhandler: one within 6 feet and the other outside of 6 feet. You'll notice when the defender enters this range he'll automatically crouch into his stance and the ballhandler will make shorter, quicker dribbles in reaction to this.

L-Trigger D
1. Hop
2. Light Shuffle = #2 above

LT + RT
1. Light Shuffle = #2 of both above
2. Hard Shuffle

So seems to me the fastest speeds of Regular Movement D and LT + RT D are the ones you want to use the most. Another small tidbit a lot of people (including myself until moments ago) may not know: When using Hands Up defense (I use camera relative), Towards the BH creates a "lean-on" effect, very good to pressure someone who just picked up his dribble. Left/right of the BH will attempt to lean in that certain direction. And away form him will make you a bit "taller" so to speak. These are all good in the paint, but "away" might get you less fouls as it is "straight up" in the air, but I haven't tested this.

# 23 GP Mercy @ 10/19/11 02:22 AM
12 years of playing NBA 2K, and it takes 7 mins to finally grasp the idea of defense. Thank you!

# 24 Da_Czar @ 10/19/11 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Speaking of inconsistent visual cues on contests, do you know why sometimes players will refuse to commit to a block even after we've pressed Y? I know sometimes it's because it's a late contest, but it doesn't feel right that we can't get a hand up to block/contest just because we're a hair late. If I'm turboing towards a perimeter shooter and mash Y, I better see some sort of flying block attempt regardless of timing or other factors. I don't see the advantage of the AI deciding not to commit when the shot is clearly going up.

Is it just simulating players knowing they're not going to make it in time and saving a little energy? Is it a two-man animation you get sucked into when you're late? Does it animate that way so your player doesn't look ridiculous jumping at a shot that's already past his head? If any of these is the case, I think the tolerance for lateness should be increased so it doesn't feel like the AI is overriding our input for no good reason.
I do not know why but I think it needs to be fixed. User input should override everything. I think this is an area they can improve on. I definitely don't like the combination of the hands up = a shot contest. Maybe I want to stay where I am...and contest from a distance... So these are things I think they can improve on.

The basic tools are there but they can be refined. The good thing about 2k is we do have their ear in a sense so feedback like this is stuff we can make a point about in feedback to them. May or may not be too much for a patch and honestly you don't want them getting too cute with that patch because one change someplace can mess things up every place. LOLOL

But I am making a note of the excellent feedback you guys are giving in this topic.

# 25 Da_Czar @ 10/19/11 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmo
Thanks Czar, taught me a couple useful things.

From what I saw out the vid and from testing myself, there is a set number of speeds for each level of defense you apply (in ascending order of speed):

Regular Movement
1. Hop
2. Walk/Light shuffle
3. Jog/Medium shuffle

One thing I noticed is that, though the speeds are the same, there are two sets of animations for regular movement which are related to distance from the ballhandler: one within 6 feet and the other outside of 6 feet. You'll notice when the defender enters this range he'll automatically crouch into his stance and the ballhandler will make shorter, quicker dribbles in reaction to this.

L-Trigger D
1. Hop
2. Light Shuffle = #2 above

LT + RT
1. Light Shuffle = #2 of both above
2. Hard Shuffle

So seems to me the fastest speeds of Regular Movement D and LT + RT D are the ones you want to use the most. Another small tidbit a lot of people (including myself until moments ago) may not know: When using Hands Up defense (I use camera relative), Towards the BH creates a "lean-on" effect, very good to pressure someone who just picked up his dribble. Left/right of the BH will attempt to lean in that certain direction. And away form him will make you a bit "taller" so to speak. These are all good in the paint, but "away" might get you less fouls as it is "straight up" in the air, but I haven't tested this.
Great stuff Richmo !!!

# 26 Da_Czar @ 10/19/11 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcnumba10
Hey Czar, just wondering what Difficulty Setting are you playing on?

Also, have you noticed the excessive bumping between the defender and the ball-handler? I can use Calderon to guard Rose perfectly since I can bump Rose with my body back out to the perimeter. In real-life it would probably be called a foul if that happened.

I would also like to see more of that snaking/sliding animation where the ball handler slips by the defender's body as he drive past him...
I am playing on all star right now. I have not found the bumping to be excessive but my defensive style as in the video is more passive in meeting and cutting off.

Is this mostly you are able to bump the cpu too much or do you find they are able to bump you too much as well ?

I thought most were thinking the cpu is too slippery already. Maybe *** everyone's defense get's better we will see what you see.

I do believe that their foul system needs to catch up with the new physics some of those bumps should be fouls as well as in air collisions. For that to work the contests HAVE to be both consistent and controllable. So were not fouling out because of auto-contests.

# 27 erickonasis @ 10/19/11 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
I am playing on all star right now. I have not found the bumping to be excessive but my defensive style as in the video is more passive in meeting and cutting off.

Is this mostly you are able to bump the cpu too much or do you find they are able to bump you too much as well ?

I thought most were thinking the cpu is too slippery already. Maybe *** everyone's defense get's better we will see what you see.

I do believe that their foul system needs to catch up with the new physics some of those bumps should be fouls as well as in air collisions. For that to work the contests HAVE to be both consistent and controllable. So were not fouling out because of auto-contests.
You hands down have the best 2k vids out there

# 28 Colts18 @ 10/19/11 10:13 AM
I think they don't call those bumps as fouls is because there would just be too many fouls. Also, speaking of collisions, anyone else find it odd that you can take a player on defense and SPRINT into any offensive player and not create a major collision/foul? NBA Live 95 had this right where if you Turbo-ed into an offensive player the offensive player would fall down. Maybe it is a way to control fouls but damn, give us an option for super realism

# 29 jmarcguy @ 10/19/11 10:29 AM
Really good vid! I think we tend to forget realistic bball approaches to defense & as Czar says, play video game defense. This was a helpful reminder.

I miss the old "Czarisode" theme though!!

# 30 tcnumba10 @ 10/19/11 10:35 AM
Quote:

I experience the excessive bumping when I am on the defensive side of the ball. Using Jose Calderon, a sub-par defender, I am able to stop Rose, an elite scorer, from penetrating just by keeping my man in front of him and bumping him back out on the perimeter when Rose comes in contact with me. This shouldn't happen and that is why I am requesting that 2k should implement more situations where you see the ball-handler slide/snake by his defender in close quarters (should of ball-handler is up against the defender's chest as he drive past him animation). I don't really see the cpu bump me back out on the perimeter but I don't mind it when I see it since I mostly create my shots from mid-range instead of driving to the hoop all the time.

# 31 Sausage @ 10/19/11 02:21 PM
I love at the end he said "you have the tools..you just have to practice". To many folks here want instant gratification, unless your playing on rookie (which can be tough for some)...you need to practice and not come on here posting this game cheats or is to hard threads.

# 32 DJ @ 10/19/11 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
I love at the end he said "you have the tools..you just have to practice". To many folks here want instant gratification, unless your playing on rookie (which can be tough for some)...you need to practice and not come on here posting this game cheats or is to hard threads.
No doubt. I'm going to be playing tonight for the first time in a week. I'm going to try and incorporate the teachings Czar has handed out over the past week, but I'm sure my rust will be evident and I'll struggle to get things going early.

Still, I'd much rather have a game that has a lot of depth and can't be mastered overnight as opposed to other sports games where you have to use sliders that are slanted heavily in the CPU's favor, on top of numerous "house rules" to keep the game interesting.

# 33 sirjam @ 10/19/11 05:30 PM
The beautiful thing about d in this game which Czar mentioned, u can tell the difference when u control elite defenders as opposed to sub par ones. Ex control Pippen an then Kerr. U will feel the difference. Absolut thing of beauty!

# 34 Sundown @ 10/19/11 11:10 PM
Quote:
I do not know why but I think it needs to be fixed. User input should override everything. I think this is an area they can improve on. I definitely don't like the combination of the hands up = a shot contest. Maybe I want to stay where I am...and contest from a distance... So these are things I think they can improve on.
I know some will disagree but I don't mind a little on-the-ground auto-contest with hands up, especially if it looks realistic. If they can move it to be fully user controlled, and I can still react like players in the NBA (or even me playing pickup) can, and it still looks realistic, then I'm all for it. If this were done, the transition from hands up to contest shot needs to be smooth and responsive and I should be able to get a good feel of when to contest, especially in the paint. I should also be able to keep it held down and keep the arm extended even if the timing of the contest is little early, though it might not be as effective as if it were correctly timed.

Seems this would require the controls to be changed somewhat so we can do both a full block and a standing contest. Would clicking the right stick be a good place to put contest shot? I accidentally click it all the time anyway when trying to contest shots with hands up. But instead of contesting, my player rushes the shooter and hugs the air because it's mapped to wraparound foul. Maybe wraparound foul needs to be moved to LT-select in that case, or be contextually activated with intentional foul.

What I *do* know is that when I smash and hold Y, it should override any on-the-ground auto contests and I should attempt a real block. Tapping Y should cause me to abort with a halfhearted block like it did last year (and what the animations force me into sometimes this year).

Maybe this is how it would work and rank in terms of effectiveness and pros/cons. These are listed in order of how much they can affect shot percentages/result in actual blocks.

Turbo Y: Big swat. Risky, foul prone, but also more likely to block shots. Unrecoverable when mistimed. Affects shots when timed well, even without getting a block, but maybe not as effective when mistimed.

Y Block. More conservative version of Turbo Y. Less risky, less foul prone, hard to recover from, affects shots but not as much as Turbo. Still effective when slightly mistimed.

Contest Shot. Affects shots without leaving the ground, but not as effective as a block attempt. More effective at very close range. Less likely to result in a block. Low risk, decent reward-- effective if you are able to keep up and stay in your shooter's face.

Hands Up. Affects shots at close range, but not as effective as intentional contest. Minimal risk.

Tap Y Block. Basically an aborted, non-committal block. Still affects shots minimally. Allows you to recover after misanticipating.

Oh, and I do hope 2K works on the hands-up animation next year. It's one of the few that still looks robotic, twitchy, and unnatural. They've tried to smooth out pretty much everything else. I'd like to see this one look good, especially if we're going to use it often.

# 35 Hehmke22 @ 10/20/11 12:52 AM
All I can say to the CZAR is Thank you, Thank you, Thank you....

Playing on HOF Sim with Portland in Association, and watched this video recently.

The main aspect that put me over the top was beating the dribbler to the spot instead of just facing him up trying to slow them down. Won a couple games in a row since I watched and everything makes so much more sense ,

This man CZAR should be given mad props and anyone complaining about getting beat needs to sit down and watch the strategy videos.

# 36 Strings74 @ 10/20/11 10:13 AM
Love Da Czar!

He's got the best voice ever. I could listen to him read the phonebook.

Don't play videogames, play basketball!

# 37 jmarcguy @ 10/22/11 02:29 AM
Maybe we need a vid that touches on "hedge" settings & such.

# 38 jersez @ 10/22/11 02:43 AM
I agree the bumping isn't very realitistic, defense should look more like this

and this

# 39 Sundown @ 10/22/11 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
I agree the bumping isn't very realitistic, defense should look more like this
Good defense should look like that. But I wouldn't what such suffocating defense on every possession because it wouldn't be realistic. These are highlights for a reason, and to be able to do that should cost some fatigue or be dependent on your defender's on ball and defensive clutch ratings. They would need to model how a player can't be that focused for a whole game, but rather for a few key possessions.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.