Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

The NBA’s Greatest is about to take it to the streets in Times Square.

2K Sports has finally announced the known Legend’s Showcase DLC, which consists of five new game modes: HORSE, Two-on-Two Teammate Challenge, Three-on-Three Era Challenge, 21 and Pick-Up. You will also be able to take the NBA’s Greatest teams into online quick play. Another key point that was mentioned, was the roster sharing between current and classic teams, allowing you to place legends on current teams and take them into Association. However, unlike what most gamers were hoping, Crew is not part of the content.

“One of the biggest things I want to stress about the DLC project is that we’ve been working on it since the early stages of 2K12’s development, so we aren’t just trying to throw something together to charge people money,” said Ben Bishop, 2K Sports producer. “As the game finished up, the 2K12 team sent us the final version to help us put the finishing touches on the DLC.”

One thing Bishop really wanted to let gamers know was that his team really wanted the DLC to stand apart from the retail version. The DLC’s graphics have a cel-shaded look to them, giving gamers a whole new 2K experience.

In HORSE, you can re create **** battles just as MJ and Bird battled it out for a Big Mac in the old ’93 commercial. The shots you can take range from a simple dunk or jump shot, to trick shots, like standing on top of a building or interacting with your surroundings.

The Two-on-Two Teammate Challenge is similar to the old school NBA JAM ladder system. There are 15 duos that you will take on in the challenge. Starting from top to bottom, you must find a way to topple each and every team. Teams include the obvious of Jordan/Pippen and Bird/McHale, but even branch into the less popular tandems of Payton/Kemp, Mullen/Hardaway and Mourning/Johnson.

The big prize for completing the ladder is the ability to take any of the players on the NBA Greatest rosters into the Creating A Legend mode.

“One of our big focuses in the content was to incorporate the legends,” said Bishop. “We wanted to find another way to feature them in ways we haven’t done before. The NBA’s Greatest is focused on who is the best team of all time, but the Legends Showcase gives you the opportunity to find out who is the best player of all time.”

The Three-on-Three Era Challenge allows you to take the best threesomes from each era and pit them against each other. You’ll be facing teams like the Celtics form the 60s, the Lakers from the 80s and the Bulls from the 90s. Once this mode is complete, you will be able to combine any current and classic players onto a team and form ultimate domination.

Pick-Up is the mode that gives you the most freedom. From anything to a one-on-one match up to a full on five-on-five scrimmage, Pick-Up will let you create the most random rosters from a pool of over 300 players, half current and half classic.

Included in the classic roster will be players that aren’t even in the retail game. You’ll see the likes of Kevin Johnson, Bob Pettit, George Mikan and Rick Barry to name a few. The list of new legends will slowly be revealed between now and the unannounced release date. Also to be noted is that players in the Legend’s Showcase DLC will be re created to be at the peak of their careers. For example, Bill Walton appears in NBA’s Greatest as his career is dwindling down on the 1985-’86 Celtics, but in the DLC he will appear on the ’78 Blazers. Current players like Jason Kidd, Tim Duncan and Grant Hill will also be re rated so you can use them at the peak of their careers. Disappointingly, though, the jerseys and players that are added to the DLC will not be available anywhere in the retail game.

Last, but most definitely not least, you will have the ability to take your My Player into Pick-Up, HORSE and 21.

“If you haven’t built up you’re My Player, it’s going be tough,” said Bishop. You can’t beat MJ, Bird or Magic one-on-one if you’re rated 85.”

All in all it sounds like the DLC, with the $10 price tag, will be a solid addition to NBA 2K12.

“This is something we’ve wanted to do from the get-go,” said Bishop. “We saw how 2K12 was taking shape and wanted to extend it even further. We knew there was a lot more we could do with the legends, so we went with this. It definitely stands as its own product.”

Official Press Release

2K Sports Announces NBA® 2K12 Legends Showcase: New Downloadable Basketball Experience

Unique add-on content includes hours of additional gameplay features and modes

New York, NY – October 20, 2011 – 2K Sports today announced the upcoming release of “Legends Showcase,” a downloadable add-on for NBA® 2K12, the latest installment in thetop-selling and top-rated NBA video game simulation franchise*. Legends Showcase will be available this holiday season for $9.99 via PlayStation®Network for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and for 800 Microsoft Points via Xbox LIVE®Marketplace for the Xbox 360®video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.

Legends Showcase creates a truly unique basketball experience for all fans, featuring a new, cell-shaded art style set in New York City’s iconic Time Square. This downloadable add-on enhances NBA 2K12 by providing a never-seen-before gaming experience, unlocking hours of additional gameplay and giving fans an all-new way to end the debate over who is the greatest basketball player of all time.

Legends Showcase allows gamers to select from more than 150 of the NBA’s all-time greatest players, including Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Dr. J, and compete in authentic pick-up games from 1-on-1 up to 5-on-5. Legends Showcase also features mini-games, such as 21 and H-O-R-S-E, along with other new features like the 2-on-2 Teammate Challenge and 3-on-3 Era Challenge. Gamers can also unlock current NBA players to create unique match-ups between legends and current stars. Finally, for the ultimate challenge, gamers can bring their My Player into the mix and battle the legends of the NBA to see how they stack up against the best ever.

As an added bonus, Legends Showcase also includes Classic Quick Match, a new mode that is opened up in the main game allowing gamers to play online with the NBA’s Greatest teams in a regular simulation setting.

NBA 2K12 is now available at leading video game retailers nationwide for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 system, PlayStation 2 system, Wii, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system and Windows PC.

NBA 2K12 is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB.

NBA 2K12 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K12 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 NoTiCe_O @ 10/20/11 06:21 PM
So if I buy this??

Can I take MyPlayer into a pickup game online against 9 other people each having their own MyPlayer or whoever they choose? Or am I just up against the cpu?

MyPlayer Pickups were my Fav on 2k11, i would pay $10 for tht to be in 2k12 (Only because I have to of course, should already be included)

# 102 ConnorTime3 @ 10/20/11 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboooo
Unconfirmed. I assume no. Because if an online option existed for MP then it probably would've been made 100% clear. Even 2K10 had online MP pickup games, so this not being in is kind've a game-killer.
Can someone either get a hold of Beluba or Ronnie to either confirm or deny this please? Because this seriously would make my player pointless if we can never take them online.

# 103 L1VINGL3GACY @ 10/20/11 07:11 PM
No Crew. No Buy.

# 104 Anaxamander @ 10/20/11 07:13 PM
I probably won't purchase this DLC, but strangely enough, I feel no animosity toward 2K. Something must be wrong with me.

# 105 skillz7854 @ 10/20/11 07:17 PM
we should lockout 2k.I'm not paying $10 for this fix the retail version of online first.

# 106 VDusen04 @ 10/20/11 07:55 PM
I haven't read any other press releases since earlier today, is there a real release date or is it just going to be "holiday 2011"?

I see potential fun in these modes. 2 on 2 and 3 on 3 were in 2K11, but I think it's clear they'll be more than what they were in their previous iterations. I look forward to these things. The real thing I'm looking forward to is the freedom of legend transactions.

# 107 SdotThaDon @ 10/20/11 08:22 PM
I will buy this DLC, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, it gives me what I asked for.(Legends online) But on the the other hand, it just gives me more to want(jerseys and extra legends).

So...2nd DLC to unlock the unlocked legends? (I kid, but 2k gets so close and leaves us hanging) I sincerely hope there is some creative way to import them into the game though. And man Prime T-Mac vs. Prime Kobe.........

# 108 Tomba @ 10/20/11 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
NO

I would rather see more classic teams for DLC...
I would have like to have seen more classic teams. If they added more classic teams i would be more excited and having it cel shaded MIGHT make it kinda like a new nba street 2 like for gamecube etc so i dont mind that entirely either

# 109 Crossover1 @ 10/20/11 08:59 PM
They take out features and modes we already had in past 2Ks, and to top it all off we can't use "new" players in the retail game.

WHY???????????????????????????????????????????????

2K Sports/VC please do us a big favor and gave us back what we already had. It will make A LOT of us happy. Thanks!

# 110 cavsfan2 @ 10/20/11 09:02 PM
taking out modes, making a slight graphic change, and reselling them for ten dollars. What company does this remind me off?

# 111 mrclutch @ 10/20/11 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
I would have like to have seen more classic teams. If they added more classic teams i would be more excited and having it cel shaded MIGHT make it kinda like a new nba street 2 like for gamecube etc so i dont mind that entirely either
I would have liked to seen some more classic team as well. But with that said....

This is not back at all for $10 DLC. Should make for a nice change of pace for the main game.

# 112 shootah66 @ 10/20/11 09:47 PM
A lousy ten dollars for something as cool as this. I'm more than sold. I just wish I could see the date this drops and the list of players that will be added. And one question: will all these players be accessable in association mode or jjust this blacktop thing?

# 113 spankdatazz22 @ 10/20/11 10:18 PM
I didn't even realize parts of Blacktop (if not all of it) weren't in 2K12. Ultimately while people complain about this feature or that feature missing, the core game still has more content and customization than any sports game out there. It's funny to read people complaining about not getting parts of Blacktop free anymore; a few years ago there were threads saying it was a worthless mode and needed to be removed. Reviewers rarely even took that entire extra gameplay mode into consideration for review score purposes.

While I can understand the frustration of paying for something that was one time free, I also see people showing precious little understanding when they have issues with the game, totally disregarding that 2K12 has more content than any other sports game available. With that, what's the sense in staying on the sidelines when it comes to DLC? To my knowledge other sports games' DLC sells a ton and people just accept it as the norm. I'll support this if only for the fact they've gone above and beyond for years

# 114 mlp111 @ 10/20/11 10:25 PM
No luv for us pc guys gain, even though I have all consoles, I will not
Be purchasing this......... Should be free, especially the way online going

# 115 mlp111 @ 10/20/11 10:28 PM
What happened to the online part of the dlc mention earlier before this game launched?? Guess 2k took a look at their online... And hacked that part of the dlc, Pathetic servers, worst in gaming history!

# 116 mrclutch @ 10/20/11 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp111
What happened to the online part of the dlc mention earlier before this game launched?? Guess 2k took a look at their online... And hacked that part of the dlc, Pathetic servers, worst in gaming history!
In the article that you obviously didn't take time to read, it says you will be able to play quick play games on line with the classic teams.

# 117 inkcil @ 10/20/11 10:41 PM
wow! sounds great. i wonder how the cell-shaded grpahics will look in action.

# 118 KyotoCarl @ 10/20/11 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan2
taking out modes, making a slight graphic change, and reselling them for ten dollars. What company does this remind me off?
Read the article again. Seems like you missed 95% of it.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=59.335134,18.022342

# 119 duggan @ 10/20/11 11:07 PM
After reading that we'l have young Grant Hill and J Kidd, i'm hoping we get something like team Vince Carter and McGrady

I wonder if those guys will have new and younger faces or if 2k will just keep their current ones

# 120 iKingQuis @ 10/21/11 12:16 AM
The DLC sounds pretty good so far. The only the fans will hate is the face that you cant use the DLC players inside the regular game. Also I would be nice fix they had a patch to fix this later and also get Another DLC to bring back some of the Retro teams such as Iverson's Sixers '02 - '03 Magic, '04 - '05 Pistons and teams like that. Other than that its a pretty nice try at a DLC. Now to settle the debate Dream Team vs. Redeem Team

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.