Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

The NBA’s Greatest is about to take it to the streets in Times Square.

2K Sports has finally announced the known Legend’s Showcase DLC, which consists of five new game modes: HORSE, Two-on-Two Teammate Challenge, Three-on-Three Era Challenge, 21 and Pick-Up. You will also be able to take the NBA’s Greatest teams into online quick play. Another key point that was mentioned, was the roster sharing between current and classic teams, allowing you to place legends on current teams and take them into Association. However, unlike what most gamers were hoping, Crew is not part of the content.

“One of the biggest things I want to stress about the DLC project is that we’ve been working on it since the early stages of 2K12’s development, so we aren’t just trying to throw something together to charge people money,” said Ben Bishop, 2K Sports producer. “As the game finished up, the 2K12 team sent us the final version to help us put the finishing touches on the DLC.”

One thing Bishop really wanted to let gamers know was that his team really wanted the DLC to stand apart from the retail version. The DLC’s graphics have a cel-shaded look to them, giving gamers a whole new 2K experience.

In HORSE, you can re create **** battles just as MJ and Bird battled it out for a Big Mac in the old ’93 commercial. The shots you can take range from a simple dunk or jump shot, to trick shots, like standing on top of a building or interacting with your surroundings.

The Two-on-Two Teammate Challenge is similar to the old school NBA JAM ladder system. There are 15 duos that you will take on in the challenge. Starting from top to bottom, you must find a way to topple each and every team. Teams include the obvious of Jordan/Pippen and Bird/McHale, but even branch into the less popular tandems of Payton/Kemp, Mullen/Hardaway and Mourning/Johnson.

The big prize for completing the ladder is the ability to take any of the players on the NBA Greatest rosters into the Creating A Legend mode.

“One of our big focuses in the content was to incorporate the legends,” said Bishop. “We wanted to find another way to feature them in ways we haven’t done before. The NBA’s Greatest is focused on who is the best team of all time, but the Legends Showcase gives you the opportunity to find out who is the best player of all time.”

The Three-on-Three Era Challenge allows you to take the best threesomes from each era and pit them against each other. You’ll be facing teams like the Celtics form the 60s, the Lakers from the 80s and the Bulls from the 90s. Once this mode is complete, you will be able to combine any current and classic players onto a team and form ultimate domination.

Pick-Up is the mode that gives you the most freedom. From anything to a one-on-one match up to a full on five-on-five scrimmage, Pick-Up will let you create the most random rosters from a pool of over 300 players, half current and half classic.

Included in the classic roster will be players that aren’t even in the retail game. You’ll see the likes of Kevin Johnson, Bob Pettit, George Mikan and Rick Barry to name a few. The list of new legends will slowly be revealed between now and the unannounced release date. Also to be noted is that players in the Legend’s Showcase DLC will be re created to be at the peak of their careers. For example, Bill Walton appears in NBA’s Greatest as his career is dwindling down on the 1985-’86 Celtics, but in the DLC he will appear on the ’78 Blazers. Current players like Jason Kidd, Tim Duncan and Grant Hill will also be re rated so you can use them at the peak of their careers. Disappointingly, though, the jerseys and players that are added to the DLC will not be available anywhere in the retail game.

Last, but most definitely not least, you will have the ability to take your My Player into Pick-Up, HORSE and 21.

“If you haven’t built up you’re My Player, it’s going be tough,” said Bishop. You can’t beat MJ, Bird or Magic one-on-one if you’re rated 85.”

All in all it sounds like the DLC, with the $10 price tag, will be a solid addition to NBA 2K12.

“This is something we’ve wanted to do from the get-go,” said Bishop. “We saw how 2K12 was taking shape and wanted to extend it even further. We knew there was a lot more we could do with the legends, so we went with this. It definitely stands as its own product.”

Official Press Release

2K Sports Announces NBA® 2K12 Legends Showcase: New Downloadable Basketball Experience

Unique add-on content includes hours of additional gameplay features and modes

New York, NY – October 20, 2011 – 2K Sports today announced the upcoming release of “Legends Showcase,” a downloadable add-on for NBA® 2K12, the latest installment in thetop-selling and top-rated NBA video game simulation franchise*. Legends Showcase will be available this holiday season for $9.99 via PlayStation®Network for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and for 800 Microsoft Points via Xbox LIVE®Marketplace for the Xbox 360®video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.

Legends Showcase creates a truly unique basketball experience for all fans, featuring a new, cell-shaded art style set in New York City’s iconic Time Square. This downloadable add-on enhances NBA 2K12 by providing a never-seen-before gaming experience, unlocking hours of additional gameplay and giving fans an all-new way to end the debate over who is the greatest basketball player of all time.

Legends Showcase allows gamers to select from more than 150 of the NBA’s all-time greatest players, including Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Dr. J, and compete in authentic pick-up games from 1-on-1 up to 5-on-5. Legends Showcase also features mini-games, such as 21 and H-O-R-S-E, along with other new features like the 2-on-2 Teammate Challenge and 3-on-3 Era Challenge. Gamers can also unlock current NBA players to create unique match-ups between legends and current stars. Finally, for the ultimate challenge, gamers can bring their My Player into the mix and battle the legends of the NBA to see how they stack up against the best ever.

As an added bonus, Legends Showcase also includes Classic Quick Match, a new mode that is opened up in the main game allowing gamers to play online with the NBA’s Greatest teams in a regular simulation setting.

NBA 2K12 is now available at leading video game retailers nationwide for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 system, PlayStation 2 system, Wii, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system and Windows PC.

NBA 2K12 is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB.

NBA 2K12 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K12 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 eko718 @ 10/21/11 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
Well so far I think it mentioned that they added the 78Blazers with the DLC, hopefully there will be more teams announced.
They said they added a prime Bill Walton from his years with the 78 Blazers, not the 78 Blazers team.

# 142 STLRams @ 10/21/11 04:23 PM
Quote" Bill Walton appears in NBA’s Greatest as his career is dwindling down on the 1985-’86 Celtics, but in the DLC he will appear on the ’78 Blazers.

I read this thinking that they would have the 78Blazers team in the DLC.

# 143 Chairman7w @ 10/21/11 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyFan
some of these people in here is acting like 2k playing them to say good things
Some people in here don't speak very good English.

I am totally on board with this DLC, sounds awesome to me. I'm eager to learn who the new players available will be.

$10? Really? You guys are complaining about $10??? Seriously guys, if $10 is such a hurdle for you, you've picked the wrong hobby. You may want to consider... reading books from the library or something.

# 144 VDusen04 @ 10/21/11 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
Quote" Bill Walton appears in NBA’s Greatest as his career is dwindling down on the 1985-’86 Celtics, but in the DLC he will appear on the ’78 Blazers.

I read this thinking that they would have the 78Blazers team in the DLC.
I guess we'll have to see what they mean by that, but from all other indications, Bill Walton will likely be on his own (or at least with a couple teammates for the three-on-three mode). Regardless, 2K said none of the classic players or jerseys would carry over to the actual 2K12 game, just the online content.

# 145 Supa @ 10/21/11 05:31 PM
sooooooooo 2k takes out features that's been in the game since 2k1, (streetball game types) throw tone shading on it, (nba street 2 swag) and drops the DLC like its something new....

I'm bout to turn on my dreamcast and play some 2 on 2 streetball with the suns.. Black flightposites, orange bottoms

# 146 nigel36r @ 10/21/11 05:54 PM
eh, 2k has failed me this year. I just cant understand why put in a robust my player mode and not give the ability to show him off to friends. and now they are going to make ppl pay $10 just to play with one friend at a time....defense is non existent online, shots go in too easily, jumpshot feedback is gone online, there is no real control in online association(if ppl dont play their games u cant award the other with the win, cant put difficulty on simulation), lobbies are gone, crew is gone, pick up games are gone, jersey's are gone online(can only do home and away), online is super laggy, team up always chooses the same teams, I am very DISAPPOINTED with this game and might just sell it for skyrim.

# 147 portlandblazer @ 10/21/11 06:22 PM
this dlc doesnt interest me at all except for the fact that legends will be tradeable now. i cannot believe i will be paying $10 just to make roster moves, how ridiculous.

why doesnt 2k sell the game for $20 and then just charge people for every different game mode and feature separately? i could do without streetball, myplayer, online, etc... im sure a lot of people could care less about legend teams or association and just want to play online.

sure, $10 isnt going to kill me but it just seems like bs to take out things that used to be part of the retail game and then start charging for it. so now 2k costs $70 or more for a so-called "next gen" game when games were $40 a few years ago and with the exception of a lil bit better graphics theres nothing really that much more advanced. wonder what games will cost in 2 years when the "next gen consoles come out????

# 148 23 @ 10/21/11 06:29 PM
It could've been packaged up like the combine was some time ago, but I really believe people would rather pay DLC for more teams floors, etc...

Look here, you cant even use the jerysey's...thats pretty wack IMO

# 149 AnthoNYC @ 10/21/11 06:34 PM
Ehhh idk. If you can't turn off the cel-shaded graphics that's stupid. With games like Batman Arkham City and BF3 I might not spend the $10 since I won't spend the time with it.

# 150 FedExPope @ 10/21/11 06:59 PM
**** battles? SIGN ME UP SCOTTY!

# 151 Rockie_Fresh88 @ 10/21/11 08:18 PM
people have to realize this is a business. 2K has to pay for the use of the legends. while I agree that these features could have been implemented into the retail version, NBA 2k12 is still a very deep game. look at the old nba games for $60 bucks. they were no where near as deep in modes and content.

# 152 J.R._Rider @ 10/21/11 09:37 PM
... And to think, I was actually pretty excited when I read the thread title.

I'm gonna guess that this "cel shade" look is more than just a screen effect, and that it's actually written into the code of the players and the jerseys used in the mode. This could possibly explain why they're not usable in any other mode. We don't have that problem with classic players and teams that play with black & white screen effects in Legends Mode.

That's sort of what's troubling, here. It's pretty obvious just by reading this thread that 2k could be sitting on a DLC profit bonanza with regards to jerseys alone. Think about it; how many of us would be straight up drooling right now if this DLC was actually some kind of "Jersey Mega-Pack" that contained - let's be conservative and say 10 - classic jerseys that fans have been asking for for years, now (some examples include pretty much any Sonics jersey other than the 90's iteration, the classic Suns jersey from '93-'00, The Bucks' purple jerseys, more alternates/throwbacks for the Nets... One thing I've found annoying is that we get all these wonderful ABA throwbacks this year, but no away versions...)? Basically a buck per jersey... pretty simple stuff.

2k could have even run a poll and had fans vote on which jerseys they wanted to pay for in the package.

The contents of this DLC package carries little to no interest for an offline player. For me, it would be essentially ten dollars spent for the privilege of being able to edit classic team rosters much more easily, which is something I was able to do out of the box last year. Simply put, I just don't know if its all that worth it, especially considering even with the ease of being able to edit the rosters, I still won't be able to have a very realistic modern Sonics Association going, because I'll still be stuck with the 90's jerseys and shorter shorts (Seriously, the length of shorts looks ridiculous when going against a modern team... I know it's authentic to the period, but I was actually happier with the inaccuracy of 2k11 in this regard.)

Of course, alot of that could be fixed with a simple jersey DLC pack, something I think many of us, and many of 2k's fans in general, would be more than happy to pay for... but alas, I've asked around, sent emails, twitters, and even PMed a couple of the 2k guys that post here on the regular, and all I've gotten in return is the silent treatment, which is a pretty emphatic "No!" in my book.

# 153 basehead617 @ 10/21/11 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
It could've been packaged up like the combine was some time ago, but I really believe people would rather pay DLC for more teams floors, etc...

Look here, you cant even use the jerysey's...thats pretty wack IMO
Some people might PREFER there be a DLC that's more floors, etc. but can you imagine the forum uproar if they did start charging for jerseys/floors/etc.?

It would be mindboggling.. and it may happen but come on.. be careful what you wish for.

What people REALLY want is tons of DLC released for free all year.. just because, I guess.

# 154 J.R._Rider @ 10/21/11 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617
Some people might PREFER there be a DLC that's more floors, etc. but can you imagine the forum uproar if they did start charging for jerseys/floors/etc.?

It would be mindboggling.. and it may happen but come on.. be careful what you wish for.

What people REALLY want is tons of DLC released for free all year.. just because, I guess.
Actually, based on not only this forum, I don't think there would be much of an uproar at all. Quite the opposite, actually.

Saying that people 'REALLY' want stuff for free is like saying the sky is blue. The point here is that people actually do seem to be willing to pay for things like jerseys and courts, as opposed to the features offered in this package.

Really, it seems like a big, fat, wasted opportunity on 2k's part.

# 155 BRxSKINSx @ 10/22/11 01:18 AM
Dang, if only they added more headband colors, I'd surely buy the DLC.....I guess that's a dealbreaker if it doesn't.....

# 156 ryan4889 @ 10/22/11 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadskee
So the new players cannot be used to make custom rosters? No buy from me.

I'm sure they will be available for both. Think about it guys. It wouldn't make logical or good business sense. They know the add-on will be relatively little-played and with the amount of money they spent to get the new legends/jerseys, it only makes sense they would simply add it to the main game. I guess I would fail to understand and just ask "Why?" if otherwise...kinda like when I found out you couldn't even edit Richard Johnson or whatever it was (generic on the classic rosters)...they realized this mistake and fixed it in the upcoming dlc...i can only hope it's not too late for them to fix what may be a grave error

# 157 J.R._Rider @ 10/22/11 04:25 AM
Quote:
Dang, if only they added more headband colors, I'd surely buy the DLC.....I guess that's a dealbreaker if it doesn't.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4889
I'm sure they will be available for both. Think about it guys. It wouldn't make logical or good business sense. They know the add-on will be relatively little-played and with the amount of money they spent to get the new legends/jerseys, it only makes sense they would simply add it to the main game. I guess I would fail to understand and just ask "Why?" if otherwise...kinda like when I found out you couldn't even edit Richard Johnson or whatever it was (generic on the classic rosters)...they realized this mistake and fixed it in the upcoming dlc...i can only hope it's not too late for them to fix what may be a grave error
According to the article, this package was in the works long before release even, let alone the uproar that came with the fans finding out the limitations in classic team editing.

Granted, I suppose unlocking the ability we had in 2k11 could have been a late addition to this package as a direct response to fan ire... I would tend to doubt that, though.

# 158 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 10/22/11 04:40 AM
So we can play against the Heat online with MJ's Bulls or something like that if we want after getting this?

# 159 Goffs @ 10/22/11 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617

Quite the opposite...there was a thread before the game came out with a wishlist of old school teams for DLC.

I would pay if they allowed us to play quick games with old school rules with the old school teams.

# 160 Mintsa @ 10/22/11 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
So we can play against the Heat online with MJ's Bulls or something like that if we want after getting this?

I don't think so. I believe classic teams vs classic teams is a separate mode.
So no, you couldn't play that match up.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.