Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Check out the new NBA 2K12 Legends Showcase screenshots, right here.

Today 2K Sports announced the surprise addition of 45 all-new legendary basketball players exclusive to NBA 2K12’s “Legends Showcase” downloadable add-on content pack. Included in the batch are legendary NBA players such as Yao Ming, George Mikan, Bob Cousy, Kevin Johnson, and Bernard King to name a few. The players will be re-rated in order to play at the peak of their careers, and they will wear their team uniforms unique to that year.

2K Sports previously announced that Legends Showcase allows gamers to select from more than 160 of the NBA’s all-time greatest players, including Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Dr. J. By adding 45 more legends to the downloadable content add-on pack, there are now more than 330 total players, legend and current, available in NBA 2K12 Legends Showcase!

Complete List of New Legends
  • George Mikan (1951 Lakers) David Thompson (1978 Nuggets) Derek Harper (1990 Mavericks)
  • Bob Cousy (1957 Celtics) Jamaal Wilkes (1981 Lakers) Tom Chambers (1990 Suns)
  • Bob Pettit (1959 Hawks) Jack Sikma (1982 Sonics) Kevin Johnson (1990 Suns)
  • Nate Thurmond (1967 Warriors) Alex English (1983 Nuggets) Reggie Lewis (1993 Celtics)
  • Lenny Wilkens (1968 Hawks) Adrian Dantley (1984 Jazz) Dan Majerle (1993 Suns)
  • Dave Bing (1968 Pistons) Bernard King (1984 Knicks) Kenny Anderson (1994 Nets)
  • Wes Unseld (1969 Bullets) Rolando Blackman (1984 Mavericks) Cedric Ceballos (1994 Suns)
  • Connie Hawkins (1970 Suns) Kiki Vandeweghe (1984 Nuggets) Dee Brown (1995 Celtics)
  • Dave Cowens (1973 Celtics) Mark Eaton (1985 Jazz) Gheorge Muresan (1996 Bullets)
  • Tiny Archibald (1973 Kings) Sleepy Floyd (1987 Warriors) Glen Rice (1997 Hornets)
  • Spencer Haywood (1973 Sonics) Fat Lever (1988 Nuggets) Shawn Bradley (1997 Mavericks)
  • Bob McAdoo (1975 Braves) Mark Jackson (1989 Knicks) Steve Smith (1998 Hawks)
  • Elvin Hayes (1975 Bullets) Kenny Walker (1989 Knicks) Jalen Rose (2001 Pacers)
  • Rick Barry (1975 Warriors) Dale Ellis (1989 Sonics) Jamal Mashburn (2003 Hornets)
  • Bob Lanier (1977 Pistons) Artis Gilmore (1978 Bulls) George Mikan (1951 Lakers)
About NBA 2K12 Legends Showcase:

Legends Showcase will be available this holiday season for $9.99 via PlayStation Network for the PlayStation 3 and for 800 Microsoft Points via Xbox LIVE Marketplace for the Xbox 360.

Legends Showcase creates a truly unique basketball experience for all fans, featuring a new, cell-shaded art style set in New York City’s iconic Time Square. This downloadable add-on enhances NBA 2K12 by providing a never-seen-before gaming experience, unlocking hours of additional gameplay and giving fans an all-new way to end the debate over who is the greatest basketball player of all time.

Legends Showcase also features mini-games, such as 21 and H-O-R-S-E, along with other new features like the 2-on-2 Teammate Challenge and 3-on-3 Era Challenge. Gamers can also unlock current NBA players to create unique match-ups between legends and current stars. Finally, for the ultimate challenge, gamers can bring their My Player into the mix and battle the legends of the NBA to see how they stack up against the best ever.

As an added bonus, Legends Showcase also includes Classic Quick Match, a new mode that is opened up in the main game allowing gamers to play online with the NBA’s Greatest teams in a regular simulation setting.

For more information on NBA 2K12, visit http://www.facebook.com/NBA2K. Fans are also encouraged to “End the Debate” on @2KSports Twitter using the #NBA2K12 hashtag.

NBA 2K12 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K12 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 hidetoshi981 @ 11/03/11 06:47 PM
no Reggie Miller and CB34?? I ain't buying this

# 62 VDusen04 @ 11/03/11 07:00 PM
The super naive and optimistic part of me is thinking/hoping/wishing the legends and jerseys included in this mode will eventually be unlockable in the main game. Reality says that's terribly unlikely. I hang onto the slimmest of hopes though, since at least the ability to trade legends has seemed to come to fruition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharliePrince
you know what's really hilarious is that we're all making fun of Shawn Bradley and Muresan..

you know, you just know that someone out there will spend all of his waking moments mastering those two becoming a master of their games and then you'll be seeing people cry and complain and threads come up

"SHAWN BRADLEY IS TOO GOOD IN THIS GAME!"

"HOW DO I BEAT GEORGE MURESAN?!"

hahaha!
Oh for sure. I was being real though. I honestly think Muresan is an awesome addition. I don't know the details of the 3-on-3 mode and how teams will work, but I think Muresan, Bradley and Mark Eaton could probably figure into things quite nicely. I'm guessing their ability to make an impact in a mode like this is the biggest reason for their specific inclusion.

# 63 DirtyNeedles @ 11/03/11 07:26 PM
George muresan and Shawn Bradley but no nick van exel or Allen Iverson lol those guys aren't legends

# 64 sirjam @ 11/03/11 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboooo
Cell shade reminds me of...

Oh snap that was my game

# 65 knoccoutderek @ 11/03/11 07:38 PM
I'm not buying this...I wish we could use the players in other modes....

# 66 dkrause1971 @ 11/03/11 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoccoutderek
I'm not buying this...I wish we could use the players in other modes....
For me this is what it will boils down too. Whether its hex, the DLC itself. I won't purchase it if i cannot use in other modes.

# 67 Sundown @ 11/03/11 08:36 PM
Honestly, I have to say the cel-shading looks worse than I imagined. I don't quite understand why they would obscure the great graphics in this game with a somewhat hastily developed cel-shader using models and textures that weren't designed for it. And if you aren't able to turn it off, it means that you can't really see the new legends artwork in its full glory-- only through the nasty shader that distorts and flattens out their features. It almost makes me wonder if the shader was implemented to hide the fact that the new Legends artwork wasn't up to snuff. Probably not the case but it's a bizarre presentation choice for the franchise.

If it's true that we can't use the new jerseys and players in other modes, then it seems 2K is continuing the trend this year of giving us something, then frustrating us by not allowing us to do the no-brainer thing we all want to do with it:

No MyPlayer sliders.
No sliders for online associations.
Online associations but no more leagues (or crew).
No classic presentation outside of very specific predetermined single player matches.
No Legends trading.
No Legends online.

At least the last two are fixed with a $10 DLC (the only reason to really get the DLC in my opinion, and maybe the MyPlayer enhancement), but it does point out that these features were arbitrarily withheld to add value to the DLC. It's hard not to see this as anything but a cash grab, but at least it's slightly forgiveable because of the impact of the lockout. Still, if speculations are correct, then the DLC would add more content with the same sort of arbitrary restrictions the game was launched with. I would much rather 2K just regularly release classic team packs (or even single players) that can be used with the full game instead of distractions that add little to the main game. I really hope this isn't the case.

It's really odd that as likely as I am to get the DLC, there's a part of me that's a bit hesitant and almost wants to forgo it out of principle. How did we get here from a month ago with the game that I was most hyped about for the longest time? I would have gladly bought any DLC then if only to support 2K. Now I'm actually a little reluctant-- maybe because it feels like this year, somewhere along the line, 2K stopped doing us favors. Instead of treats, we're getting what was purposefully withheld, packaged with features and odd choices we didn't quite ask for.

Oh well. At least we can get some of the new "Legends" into the main game through 2Kshare now since they were already on the disk as Pacers and Suns players that remained locked because 2K wasn't able to get Reggie or Barkley. I'm kind of happy about Rick Barry though.

# 68 RedPhazon8 @ 11/03/11 08:40 PM
This isn't on my holiday wish list atm, just not not getting into it...

# 69 lsalas76 @ 11/03/11 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Honestly, I have to say the cel-shading looks worse than I imagined. I don't quite understand why they would obscure the great graphics in this game with a somewhat hastily developed cel-shader using models and textures that weren't designed for it. And if you aren't able to turn it off, it means that you can't really see the new legends artwork in its full glory-- only through the nasty shader that distorts and flattens out their features. It almost makes me wonder if the shader was implemented to hide the fact that the new Legends artwork wasn't up to snuff. Probably not the case but it's a bizarre presentation choice for the franchise.

If it's true that we can't use the new jerseys and players in other modes, then it seems 2K is continuing the trend this year of giving us something, then frustrating us by not allowing us to do the no-brainer thing we all want to do with it:

No MyPlayer sliders.
No sliders for online associations.
Online associations but no more leagues (or crew).
No classic presentation outside of very specific predetermined single player matches.
No Legends trading.
No Legends online.

At least the last two are fixed with a $10 DLC (the only reason to really get the DLC in my opinion, and maybe the MyPlayer enhancement), but it does point out that these features were arbitrarily withheld to add value to the DLC. It's hard not to see this as anything but a cash grab, but at least it's slightly forgiveable because of the impact of the lockout. Still, if speculations are correct, then the DLC would add more content with the same sort of arbitrary restrictions the game was launched with. I would much rather 2K just regularly release classic team packs (or even single players) that can be used with the full game instead of distractions that add little to the main game. I really hope this isn't the case.

It's really odd that as likely as I am to get the DLC, there's a part of me that's a bit hesitant and almost wants to forgo it out of principle. How did we get here from a month ago with the game that I was most hyped about for the longest time? I would have gladly bought any DLC then if only to support 2K. Now I'm actually a little reluctant-- maybe because it feels like this year, somewhere along the line, 2K stopped doing us favors. Instead of treats, we're getting what was purposefully withheld, packaged with features and odd choices we didn't quite ask for.

Oh well. At least we can get some of the new "Legends" into the main game through 2Kshare now since they were already on the disk as Pacers and Suns players that remained locked because 2K wasn't able to get Reggie or Barkley. I'm kind of happy about Rick Barry though.
Well said I agree with you 100%. We won't be able to get the new legends into the main game itself tho

# 70 sportjames23 @ 11/03/11 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R._Rider
Maybe taking on the brunt of that anger won't be such a bad thing for 2k. Maybe they can learn something from it. Of course, that'll mean that the anger will have to be channeled productively, but I don't think that will be a huge problem. 2k seems to have a pretty damn good filter.

Looking at this thread, what are people saying?

"I wish we could use these players in the regular game."

"They finally got a bunch of jersey's that people have been begging for for years now in the game, and we can't use them..."

"This is dumb. I have no desire to play NBA Street. Why can't we use these guys in the regular game?"

"I'm not paying 10 bucks just so I can have some modes and options available to me that were in last years retail version."

Just looking at this thread, and the other thread that announced this DLC, and it's pretty much a consensus that this at best doesn't do much for anyone. In fact, it's having an opposite affect from the intended one with some people. I was talking to a couple of friends of mine, and when the topic of this DLC came up, both of them decided to just say "screw it" and go back to 2k11 (One of them already has, and he insists that it was the best gaming decision he's made in the last five years.)

I understand that this is just a forum, a relatively small sample size of the overall market to 2k. But here's the thing; this forum, and forums like it, represent 2k's base. And, as any politician will tell you, you never alienate your base. In fact, you normally go out of your way to appease them. That hasn't happened here. So while casual gamers may love this new game mode and everything else that comes with the DLC, 2k is still going to have to deal with hearing constant complaints about it for the next year from their most important fans. Not fun.

Releasing a DLC package that allowed us to use all of these legends and have all of these jersey's in the actual game would have made both casual gamers and the 2k series die-hards very happy. This package doesn't do that.

It doesn't happen often, but 2k might have really dropped the ball on this one. Hopefully they can take it as a learning experience, so that next time they can give the fans what they really want... Even if it is another year and another $60 + away...

Well said. You guys know I'm a 2K mark, but they dropped the ball on this one. I'm tempted to get this, but only if these additional players can be hexed.

# 71 DoWork @ 11/04/11 02:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGDunks
Do we have an option to turn off the borderlands effect?
I highly doubt that 2k will give users an option to turn off the cartoon effect.

# 72 Dachozen1 @ 11/04/11 02:27 AM
can't use none of these guys in the main game?? i don't care about all that extra ****, I just care about using these guys in association..

# 73 Playmakers @ 11/04/11 03:09 AM
Shawn Bradley is a Legend

I guess it's cool Dallas finally got some love but Shawn Bradley was on the same level as Chris Antsey, Uwe Blab, Kurt Nimphius and Pat Cummings

# 74 brian05fubu @ 11/04/11 04:33 AM
Let's all be honest here. Cel-shading looks terrible. The only good thing about it is we can do whatever we want to do with the classic teams, which should've been in the game in the first place. 2K = Fail

# 75 Sundown @ 11/04/11 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian05fubu
Let's all be honest here. Cel-shading looks terrible. The only good thing about it is we can do whatever we want to do with the classic teams, which should've been in the game in the first place. 2K = Fail
Funny enough, this is one time 2K can VASTLY improve their product by simply switching a feature off. I would be a lot more interested in the Time Square Legends mode if it didn't look that hokey.

# 76 STLRams @ 11/04/11 08:38 AM
I wish a Dev or someone from 2K would chime in and clear this up. I thought when this was originally announced that part of the DLC would be the ability to edit the legend teams, add players to the teams and add the new legend players to anyteam we want and play with them in offline quick games, association games. If this is not part of the DLC then this is a no buy for me. I've supported and bought 2K products for years, but why would they offer a DLC and tease us with the idea of adding more legend players to teams and having total control of the legend teams, but not giving us the option to do this. Im really hoping this is part of the DLC... if not I can't support this DLC.

# 77 sunsaz @ 11/04/11 08:44 AM
Mark Eaton > Bradley & Muresan. Hopefully, we can all agree on that.

# 78 STLRams @ 11/04/11 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsaz
Mark Eaton > Bradley & Muresan. Hopefully, we can all agree on that.
Mark Eaton, damn, lol I remember that guy use to get dunked on all the time.

# 79 basketballfreak24 @ 11/04/11 09:48 AM
Cons:
-cell shaded graphics. i dont want NBA street.
-cant bring these guys into other areas of the game
-the "99% miami heat online" theory was simply not true meaning separating the legends into classic quick match was pointless.
-this whole thing smells like a preplanned lockout moneygrab which wouldve worked if you didnt put all these restrictions and cell shading on the legends.

ill be waiting for the Patch releases and Xbox360 virgin gaming tourney and NBA2k.com but u can have this garbage.

# 80 qpc123 @ 11/04/11 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
I wish a Dev or someone from 2K would chime in and clear this up. I thought when this was originally announced that part of the DLC would be the ability to edit the legend teams, add players to the teams and add the new legend players to anyteam we want and play with them in offline quick games, association games. If this is not part of the DLC then this is a no buy for me. I've supported and bought 2K products for years, but why would they offer a DLC and tease us with the idea of adding more legend players to teams and having total control of the legend teams, but not giving us the option to do this. Im really hoping this is part of the DLC... if not I can't support this DLC.
It's been pretty clear since the DLC was announced.

Another key point that was mentioned, was the roster sharing between current and classic teams, allowing you to place legends on current teams and take them into Association.

What this means is, if you purchase the DLC you can trade or assign the players on the classic teams that came in the retail version to current teams and vice versa(current players to classic teams). What you cannot do is take the players from the DLC and add them to the rosters on the retail game.

For example, with the DLC you will be able to Lebron on the 96 Bulls if you want or take Magic and place him on the current Lakers. But you cannot take the Kevin Johnson on the DLC and place him on the current Suns(or any team for that matter) is only available to use in the modes that are part of the DLC.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.