Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

NBA 2K12 Patch 1.03 has been released for the PS3. (The XBOX360 patch is coming soon).

Here are the official patch notes:

GAMEPLAY
  • On-dribbler steal success rates have been tuned down.
  • Tuned accuracy of directional passing in order to more reliably pass to the intended target.
  • Improved help defense, specifically for rotations on pick-and-roll situations.
  • Defensive tuning on 3PT shots to reduce the success of contested threes.
  • Addressed an issue on drives to the basket where the help defender wouldn’t fully engage in the double team
  • Several matchmaking optimizations have been made in order to help users get into games quicker. This will reduce the amount of time the “Searching For Opponent…” screen is displayed for.
  • Addressed a number of network errors that would cause games to end prematurely.
  • Addressed an issue in Team-Up where certain conditions would lead to a player standing idle for prolonged periods of time.
  • Corrected a Win/Loss streak tracking issue such that the “Back to Back to Back” achievement/trophy will now unlock at the proper time.
http://2kgam.es/NBA2K12P103

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 44drob @ 11/06/11 12:25 PM
nice !!!

# 142 MeloNYK7 @ 11/06/11 12:46 PM
hoping we can get the 360 patch tomorrow. cause this garbage is still going on over herre

# 143 sjj2xs @ 11/06/11 02:01 PM
yeah i agree with melonyk7, it would be nice if the 360 patch will pop up, i mean why do they wait so long............

# 144 Painkiller1974 @ 11/06/11 06:15 PM
pS3

After the parch 1.03 It seems that even if you turn living rosters off, it remains ON !
I made many changes to the roster and I saved them, but Every time i come back I always find default roster...

# 145 The 24th Letter @ 11/06/11 06:46 PM
Wow I didn't even realize this was a NEW patch lol

I tend to stay away from these large threads b/c it usually turns into a piss fest....but I'm glad I saw this.

Hopefully this comes to the 360 soon...I'm assuming there's no news yet?

# 146 Illuminati @ 11/06/11 06:57 PM
The shooting looks a lot sloppier, that's all I can really take away from this patch tbh

# 147 tonyt8605 @ 11/06/11 07:55 PM
Someone who is knowledgeable of 2k12 and patch 1.03 please answe these two questions:

1) Since I am not an avid online player, how did this patch help/afect offline play?

2) Also, if I'm curently in an association do i need to start a new one to play with the patch?

Thanks!

# 148 Rawdeal28 @ 11/06/11 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickerbocker
First of all I'm a perimeter oriented player myself. And my answer to your question would be certainly not over 70%. Even if the OKC, NY, GSW players didn't spam the mid against you (they most certainly did against me and believe me my D ain't half bad) the thing is the mid slider is just to high.

It's not about hiting open shots. It's about not being able to sag off players like Rondo etc, it's about playing perfect D on the likes of Kobe, Melo, Durant etc and them still scoring in the 50%.

Tried a shimmy shot with KG, or a fadeaway from postup position with Dirk? It's 80% shots. So when people find that out they just spam it. If the realization rate for mid would be just a bit lower (it was almost right in 2k, still a tad high if you ask me) it would force users to vary their shot selection. And that's what it is about.

There are certain stars that should excell in their perimeter game but not when you double or tripple team them.
good point but u cant make everyone less effective just because someone is spamming a players go to move. its just something you have to live with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt8605
Someone who is knowledgeable of 2k12 and patch 1.03 please answe these two questions:

1) Since I am not an avid online player, how did this patch help/afect offline play?

2) Also, if I'm curently in an association do i need to start a new one to play with the patch?

Thanks!
gameplay is better offline. defensive rotation is much better.

no u dont need to start over.

# 149 cashblingz @ 11/06/11 10:51 PM
i play offline on all star sim and i was having great games before the patch just needed to adjust defensive tendencies for players and coach profile. i was able to defend enough 3pters and was 6-2 using the jazz.
after the patch the mid range and 3 pt game is gone for me. it seems that i m bricking alot of wide open js. did they change the timing on shot release?
cpu are still able to make about 80% of their shots in comparison to pre patch.
a.i teammates seem to be a tat better on d rotation.
1 aspect that i think got worse also is the rebounding. off reb is pretty much non existence now ans d reb got harder i dont know why.

i have been 0-3 after patch losing about 20-30pts a game. hhmmm....

# 150 ScoobySnax @ 11/06/11 10:52 PM
@RawDeal Did you notice if the frame rate hitches (stuttering) was fixed?

# 151 tonyt8605 @ 11/06/11 11:47 PM
Thanks rawdeal for the answer!

A general question to the public. I look around the sliders section and see a lot of different types. My question is, do the majority of 2k12 gamers actually change sliders or stick to the default or sim?

# 152 younggrease @ 11/06/11 11:57 PM
This patch sounds bad. Seems like they changed things that werent broke. Will wait until it drops for 360 to judge it though

# 153 Mos1ted @ 11/07/11 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thugnificant
no, release ,selection along with rating should determing success. That extra piece gave people reason to use practice mode. This simplistic mechanic is horrible. 2k8 and 2k11 had it right. No team should be pickup and play like they are in 2k12

as i recall ALL nba, college, players practice shot releases , shooting is a bball 101 fundemental. perhaps you enjoy the new style be cause you can score easier but truthly its broken. Win i lose to someone i want to know that they learned a team and beat me fair. My little brother doesnt even need to know releases in 2k12 with kobe because its a button tap while in 2k11 he whined because he neglected practice mode and couldnt shoot with kobe at high %. bottom line its dumbed down this year alot with other aspects.
I feel you. I lost two games yesterday to people that were playing for the first time (Their records were both 0-0). Granted, they both chose the Heat, but still. That should not happen, especially considering I've had the game for a month. This is post-patch by the way. Pre-patch, I was unstoppable against cheesers.

# 154 Mos1ted @ 11/07/11 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminati
The shooting looks a lot sloppier, that's all I can really take away from this patch tbh
The shooting is definitely worse in my opinion. It looks like shot release and timing were affected. It doesn't have that 1:1 feel of the shot stick corresponding to the animation anymore. I'm thinking this was done intentionally to lower 3 point accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt8605

Thanks!
I've played mostly online since the patch, and to me, it's worse. For starters, the control lag is worse than ever. This affects nearly every aspect of playing, from rebounding, shooting, and passing, to isomotion, on-ball defense, and shot blocking. If you're going against a strong team like the Heat, it's going to be harder to stop them now even if you are the superior player to your opponent. I've lost about 4 games yesterday that I know I wouldn't lose if we were playing offline.

Also, you never need to start a new association to play with a patch if the patch only affects gameplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashblingz
i play offline on all star sim and i was having great games before the patch just needed to adjust defensive tendencies for players and coach profile. i was able to defend enough 3pters and was 6-2 using the jazz.
after the patch the mid range and 3 pt game is gone for me. it seems that i m bricking alot of wide open js. did they change the timing on shot release?
cpu are still able to make about 80% of their shots in comparison to pre patch.
a.i teammates seem to be a tat better on d rotation.
1 aspect that i think got worse also is the rebounding. off reb is pretty much non existence now ans d reb got harder i dont know why.

i have been 0-3 after patch losing about 20-30pts a game. hhmmm....
Rebounding is horrible in this game, pre and post-patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by younggrease
This patch sounds bad. Seems like they changed things that werent broke. Will wait until it drops for 360 to judge it though
It's made the game worse in my opinion, but I'm only speaking for online. I haven't played enough offline to really judge.

# 155 HeavenlyTouch @ 11/07/11 08:14 AM
^ This sounds like a user problem to me..

I've been hitting 3's in abundance just fine both online and offline...

# 156 Mos1ted @ 11/07/11 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyTouch
^ This sounds like a user problem to me..

I've been hitting 3's in abundance just fine both online and offline...
You're right. It is a user problem. But it's not a lack of user skill; it's the lack of true 1:1 control that was existent before the patch. Once you account for this, you hit open shots with regularity, providing you're shooting with a decent shooter. I have no problem with this.

I finally played a full 48-min offline game, and I had no complaints about the shooting once I accounted for the loss of full touch. I went 2 for 3 from 3 with Michael Redd and 3 for 5 with Ilyasova. The 3 that I missed with Redd was contested. I went 10 for 29 from three overall. The Nets, however, were 4 for 27. I didn't give them too many open looks. So, yes, the patch is working as designed from that perspective. Contested shots are much more difficult to hit, and open shots are harder, but only because 1:1 is gone.

# 157 Mos1ted @ 11/07/11 09:01 AM
Since I finally played a full game offline with the patch, I figured I give my impressions on that.

I played a game on All-Star/Default with game speed at 47 and clutch factor on. I was the Bucks, and I went against the Nets. I won the game 127-98, definitely the largest margin of victory I've had thus far not playing on Pro.

The Good

- Defense is actually fun to play now. The Bucks are a good defensive team, and for the first time since I bought 2K12 a month ago, defense no longer felt like a chore. My CPU off-ball teammates were much more aware than before, quickly moving to position when the ball was being swung around the perimeter. Before, they wouldn't react, which led to a lot of open shots for the CPU. I'm pleased to see this has been fixed. I haven't tested it yet, but I'm hoping there's some disparity to this between good defensive teams and bad ones.

- On All-Star at least, the CPU is not super-reacting to ever rebound like before. While boxing out is still virtually non-existent, at least good CPU teammate rebounders can actually hold their own without you needing to control them after ever missed shot to secure a rebound.

- Both the CPU and User will actually miss contested shots. So, playing good defense is actually rewarding now.

- The pass type seems to be more appropriate for the situation, but passing still needs a lot of work for me to have the same confidence level as I had in previous games.

The Bad

- That true 1:1 shot stick control we had at launch is gone for the moment. If you find yourself missing open shots regularity, this is likely the cause of it. Once you adjust for this, you should start hitting open shots again, providing you're controlling a decent shooter.

- The loss of that 1:1 control also affects isomotion.

- The ball liveliness has regressed back to NBA 2K11 standards in my opinion. I saw replays where the ball was blocked but the hand didn't physically touch the ball. I wasn't seeing this at launch, but I've been seeing it a lot since the previous patch. It's still there with this patch.

- The CPU can still move the ball like a hot potato while the user still has to treat the ball like a Faberge egg. Now, I understand that passing is delayed occasionally because the recipient has to adjust and get into position to receive the ball first. I'm all for that. I just need the ball to move as fast for the user as it does for the CPU. Fundamentally, the ball is suppose to be the fastest object on the court. Under no circumstances is a player suppose to move faster than the ball. This is why so many user passes are deflected or intercepted. It's not that the user is being careless; it's that the slow speed of the ball combined with the improved AI awareness allows the CPU to play the passing lanes so well.

The Ugly

- "The Miracle on Third Quarter Street," as I like to call it, still exists. For example, I held the Nets to 39%, 43%, and 37% shooting in the first, second, and fourth quarters, respectively. However, they shot 61% in the third quarter. Did I forget how to play defense for one quarter? It's highly unlikely. Anyone who disagrees that such a run is programmed into the game is delusional at best, blind at worst. Fortunately, they only outscored me by four in that quarter, and I had a 17-point lead at the half -- a large enough cushion to where they couldn't retake the lead in the third. It's not only improved shot success and other bumps for the CPU that's the problem, but it's the lack of control for the user in a lot of situations. It's like the game is doing everything in its power to ensure the CPU scores.

- Like someone stated in their thread, speed disparity seems nonexistent for the most part. Even if you get the push ahead dribble and get a few steps ahead of the defense, they are still able to catch up thinks to the game slowing your player down and "disabling" your turbo. I'm hoping this gets addressed in the big patch that's being planned.

Overall, I'm more content with the game for the moment. That opinion may change as I play more, just like it did for online (I was loving online at first, but now I hate it).

# 158 ruxpinke @ 11/07/11 10:28 AM
Mosted, couldnt agree more with your impressions. Def enjoying the defense, although there are still cases where cpu is hitting some shots that the user would never hit. I was playing orlando and they hit three straight 3s that were all in the shot quality C range. so it has improved somewhat, but CPU still gets a boost. It wouldnt be as bad if i didnt feel like the user shooting has now been handicapped. Im definitely missing some shots that I should be making, both inside and outside. Im missing some B grade layups while the CPU is making D grade ones. It can get very frustrating. I know I could adjust sliders, but I hate having uneven sliders for CPU and User, I dont enjoy the wins as much.

# 159 ruxpinke @ 11/07/11 10:29 AM
and the CPU is definitely passing better, which is cool because im seeing them make some nice plays, but frustrating because i know i cant do the same things.

# 160 MeloNYK7 @ 11/07/11 11:44 AM
Still no word on 360 patch SMH... been 4 days..

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.