Home
UFC Undisputed 3 News Post

THQ's Wes Bunn walks through UFC Undisputed 3's Pride mode. If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Game: UFC Undisputed 3Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 12 - View All
UFC Undisputed 3 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 TheShizNo1 @ 11/04/11 02:28 AM
I'm impressed, although I don't wanna be. I'm also a sucker for all things Pride. I don't get the submission system though.

# 2 Pappy Knuckles @ 11/04/11 11:09 AM
Screaming Pride Lady, nice. Too bad they don't have the referee cam for replays. That would've been pretty sweet. I like the idea of chasing each other for submissions. I may change my mind when I actually play it, but right now it seems much better than the shine was. I'm looking forward to picking this one up. I definitely plan on pre-ordering.

# 3 aholbert32 @ 11/04/11 11:26 AM
Ref cam replays are in the game.

# 4 DJ @ 11/04/11 12:12 PM
I liked that Cro Cop (CPU-controlled) wasn't spastic in his attack. That drove me away from UFC 10, as all fighters seemed to be Rampage clones and just threw bombs at you all day.

The new submission system is interesting. I prefer just about anything to the dreaded Shine.

I'm glad that they've added a Simulation setting as well. Hopefully that will lead to more realistic fights against the CPU for us guys that mostly play offline.

I did notice in the first fight that Nog was able to use the UFC 10 strategy of three attempts and then an automatic pass when he was in Cro Cop's guard. I was hoping we wouldn't see that anymore, as that really eliminates strategy when you know you just have to try a pass several times before ultimately being successful.

# 5 Evlmnky33 @ 11/04/11 12:24 PM
they have my interest again. the only thing i dont like about the sub system is it takes your eyes off the fighters. i know its a video game but the "mini game" takes away from the reality IMO.

# 6 TheShizNo1 @ 11/04/11 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlmnky33
they have my interest again. the only thing i dont like about the sub system is it takes your eyes off the fighters. i know its a video game but the "mini game" takes away from the reality IMO.
I thought EA MMA did a great job at this. You could see the submissions coming and the struggle.

# 7 Control-X @ 11/04/11 12:39 PM
I find the red and blue thing chasing so annoying in the submission struggle. You have to take your eyes off the fighters in order to chase the other color? Really? They gotta replace this method with something else.

# 8 The Bad Man @ 11/04/11 08:24 PM
the fighters hit hard and i mean real HARD! i wish THQ can apply these mechanics to wwe '12 and its successors. pro wrestlers in wwe obviously threw fake punches, fake strikes and fake hits because it's all acting. it shouldnt happen in a video game. i mean, wwe video games should be like ufc undisputed when it comes to hitting their opponents. make it seem real man. like make big show punch you like he's actually hitting you in the face with his huge fist!

# 9 Bad_Intentions @ 11/04/11 09:06 PM
I like some of the new game play tweaks they've made. Still think that hard strikes don't do the damage that they should. Also I still don't think stamina depletion is quite on point. These are a couple things EA got right. If you received a couple of heavy strikes in a row from a guy with power you were in the danger zone so to speak. Also if you flurried a bit too much you'd blow your wad. That is what I think this game needs more of to balance it out. I know they are trying to make it to where you can just pick it up and throw punches and make it an enjoyable experience for the casual player. He mentioned a simulation mode so maybe these things are more prevalent in that mode and this demo was in arcade mode or whatever.

Also the sub system needs work. I doubt it gets changed this late in the game. Looks like they tried to copy EA here(wish they would have copied them with on my first point). I still think EA did it better though. The on-screen indicator in EA wasn't as obtrusive and used the rumble of the controller along with the camera as an indicator of how close you were. I liked those elements. Also they had a different system for non choke based submission which I thought was done pretty well. I'm not a huge fan of what UFC 3 does here but with that said I already like it twice as much as the "shine". That was just the worst.

Lastly, takedowns. The only complaint I have is the automatic takedowns. Meaning if someone misses a punch and the other fighter times it right he gets the takedown no matter what. This is absolutely insane. There should be some kind of window to where you can still defend and depending on your takedown defense the size of that window should vary. For example Dustin Hazelett vs Koscheck. If they fight 10 times, no matter how well Hazelett times his shot, he's rarely going to be able to take Kos down and work his BJJ. This type of outcome should be translated in the game. I'm not saying it should be impossible for one fighter to take down another, but more than likely he shouldn't be able to take Kos down. I don't think this has changed with the 3rd iteration of the game.

With all that being said, i'm still looking forward to getting to play a demo of this and I will probably pre-order it from gamestop to get the 4 extra fighters :|

# 10 Mossfan8480 @ 11/04/11 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Intentions
I like some of the new game play tweaks they've made. Still think that hard strikes don't do the damage that they should. Also I still don't think stamina depletion is quite on point. These are a couple things EA got right. If you received a couple of heavy strikes in a row from a guy with power you were in the danger zone so to speak. Also if you flurried a bit too much you'd blow your wad. That is what I think this game needs more of to balance it out. I know they are trying to make it to where you can just pick it up and throw punches and make it an enjoyable experience for the casual player. He mentioned a simulation mode so maybe these things are more prevalent in that mode and this demo was in arcade mode or whatever.
|
Exactly. Supposedly the "simulation" mode will fix all the above.

# 11 Ikki @ 11/04/11 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
Screaming Pride Lady, nice. Too bad they don't have the referee cam for replays. That would've been pretty sweet. I like the idea of chasing each other for submissions. I may change my mind when I actually play it, but right now it seems much better than the shine was. I'm looking forward to picking this one up. I definitely plan on pre-ordering.
I just read somewhere that it's not really Lenne Hardt but an impersonator and that she wasn't contacted to work on this game.

Also Bas Rutten is OK but I wish there was an option for japanese commentary.

# 12 aholbert32 @ 11/04/11 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikki
I just read somewhere that it's not really Lenne Hardt but an impersonator and that she wasn't contacted to work on this game.

Also Bas Rutten is OK but I wish there was an option for japanese commentary.
Its the real Lenne Hardt. She confirmed it on twitter.

# 13 Bad_Intentions @ 11/05/11 10:30 AM
Ok, thought so, if that is an impersonator she did one helluva good job.

# 14 Gotmadskillzson @ 11/05/11 02:29 PM
One thing I didn't care for was how quick and easy it was to take somebody's back in the stand up. That guy seemed to go to a standing back clinch very quick everytime. Hopefully it was because it was on easy.

If not, I can predict a lot of people online will be exploiting that move all the time. Quickly go to a back clinch and just throw a person down to the ground.

I do hope they have some counters to the back clinch, like a drop down rolling knee bar or kimura. Also I didn't feel the cpu CroCop played like Crocop. CroCop was known for throwing alot of leg kicks and head kicks during his prime in Pride.

I wonder if they have the yellow cards in the game for Pride mode. That would be cool and realistic.

About the only thing I am waiting on now is what improvements they made to submissions and guards.

# 15 Ikki @ 11/05/11 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Its the real Lenne Hardt. She confirmed it on twitter.
That's cool then.

# 16 Jukeman @ 11/06/11 11:35 AM
I hope we can turn the "paper dolls" off

Sent from my HumancentiPad using Tapatalk

# 17 wyrm187 @ 11/07/11 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
I hope we can turn the "paper dolls" off

Sent from my HumancentiPad using Tapatalk
I was thinking the same thing but I think they only come up when you turn stamina on. If you watch the beginning of the fight they arent up there and once he switches the options to stamina on, they appear. Havent seen it on any other video either

# 18 Sausage @ 11/10/11 09:55 AM
I hope they have simulation on for online. It could lead to more tactical bouts once the casuals leave when they can't throw a hundred punches a round.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.