Home
News Post

Perennial All-Star And American League Most Valuable Player Candidate
Adrian Gonzalez Announced as Cover Athlete For MLB® 12 The Show™,
Exclusively on The PlayStation®3 (PS3™) And PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) Systems

Boston Red Sox Slugger Ready to Swing for the Fences
in the Latest Installment of the Highest-Rated Sports Game Franchise

FOSTER CITY, Calif., Nov. 9, 2011 -- Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (SCEA) announced today the North American release of MLB® 12 The Show™, the latest installment of the number-one selling and rated Major League Baseball® (MLB®) video game franchise. Gracing the cover of The Show in 2012 will be Boston Red Sox All-Star first baseman Adrian Gonzalez. A candidate for this year's America League Most Valuable Player (MVP) Award, Gonzalez is a four-time All-Star (2008-2011), three-time Gold Glove winner (2008, 2009, 2011), and 2011 Silver Slugger Award winner.

Available for the PlayStation®3 (PS3™) and PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) systems, MLB 12 The Show is due to arrive in stores on March 6, 2012, just in time for MLB Spring Training. The Show has been and continues to be the market leading and highest ranked officially licensed baseball title of this console generation (according to MetaCritic.com) and the number-one rated sports video game over the past four years (according to GameRankings.com), delivering true-to-life gameplay, authentic franchise and season modes, and incredible detail not found in any other sports game. MLB 12 The Show builds on what has been delivered in previous franchise releases, adding compelling features that bring unparalleled innovation and polish to the sports genre.

"I feel very humbled to be chosen for the cover of MLB 12 The Show," said Gonzalez, who recently won his third Gold Glove Award. "I think most sports fans would agree it's a dream come true to be immortalized as the cover athlete for a video game so I jumped at the chance to work with a leading franchise like The Show—it's truly a great honor."

"With a standout 2011 season in his first year with the Boston Red Sox, Adrian Gonzalez has cemented himself as one of the best all-around players in baseball," said Scott A. Steinberg, Vice President, Product Marketing, SCEA. "Similarly, The Show has been the market leader and the highest rated, best-selling baseball video game franchise of all time. Therefore, Adrian was an easy choice and a perfect fit to represent the next installment of our critically acclaimed series, MLB 12 The Show."

The first overall pick by the Florida Marlins in the 2000 MLB Draft, Adrian Gonzalez has steadily become one of the top players in all of baseball, both on the field and at the plate. In 2010 while playing for the San Diego Padres, he was named team MVP for the third consecutive year and fourth time overall. In 2011, Gonzalez was traded to the Boston Red Sox in a blockbuster deal and enjoyed one of his best professional seasons, which included his 1,000 career hit, fourth consecutive All-Star selection, third Gold Glove, first Silver Slugger Award, and a top five finish in batting average (.338) and RBI (117) in all of baseball.

MLB 12 The Show is the first baseball video game cover for Gonzalez who joins an elite cast of cover athletes and spokespersons to represent The Show, including Minnesota Twins catcher and 2009 American League (AL) MVP Joe Mauer, Red Sox second baseman and 2008 AL MVP Dustin Pedroia, Philadelphia Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard, and New York Mets third baseman David Wright. As the latest representative of SCEA's baseball series and ambassador for MLB 12 The Show, Gonzalez's duties will include participation in the game's motion capture process, artificial intelligence (A.I.) consultation, integration into all facets of the marketing campaign, and spokesperson for the franchise.

As Gonzalez continues to establish himself as one of the most talented players in the game today, MLB 12 The Show continues to build upon an already stellar reputation for immersion and unparalleled delivery of the baseball experience. With various new key features and enhancements to the critically acclaimed series, MLB 12 The Show is poised to continue the franchise's reign as the premier MLB licensed game on any platform. Specifically for PS Vita, MLB 12 The Show will utilize all of the core gameplay features found in the PS3 version providing a big league experience that players can take with them on road, anytime, anywhere. All new features for MLB 12 The Show will be unveiled and detailed throughout the course of the campaign, prior to the game's launch on March 6, 2012.

The independent Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) rating for MLB 12 The Show is "RP" for "Rating Pending." For more information about the ESRB visit http://www.esrb.org. For more information about the MLB 12 The Show, visit http://theshownation.com/ or http://www.facebook.com/mlbtheshow.

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Marino @ 11/10/11 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
...and to piggyback myself....it's not ONLY about the players stats....hardware......or championships.
While plenty of the names mentioned in this thread would be equally as deserving for the cover.....but so is Gonzalez.
If you refute that, you're just lying to yourself.

M.K.
Knight165
Gonzalez is deserving, but Kemp is more deserving.

# 62 Knight165 @ 11/10/11 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino
Gonzalez is deserving, but Kemp is more deserving.
I couldn't and wouldn't argue against Kemp.
I like him as a player and he did have a great year.
To me though...it's like saying..."you bought a Ferrari?....WTF?...You should have bought a Lambo....or Aston Martin."
I'm pretty sure I'd be happy driving anyone of them!

M.K.
Knight165

# 63 reduced price @ 11/10/11 10:37 PM
My first post here was tongue in cheek and a bit over the top. Some of you got it, others freaked out. Is Adrian Gonzales worthy of a cover? Yes. Would he have been my choice. . . No. I would have gone to other players which I feel had a greater impact, like a Verlander. Just saying. Plus in recent years we've had Mauer on the cover twice, and Ortiz and Pedroia, how about giving other players on different teams a chance.

# 64 ShadioRack @ 11/10/11 11:58 PM
Are all the Yankee fans butt-hurt? No I'm not a sox fan.

# 65 Bronx Johnny @ 11/11/11 12:05 AM
I think Mariano Rivera would have made a fine selection, or Ryan Braun or how about the hometown world series hero David Freese? A-Gon had a heck of a season on a collapsing squad though, oh well no biggie i'll just get a custom cover off OS, those kick *** anyway.

# 66 Scott @ 11/11/11 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx Johnny
I think Mariano Rivera would have made a fine selection, or Ryan Braun or how about the hometown world series hero David Freese? A-Gon had a heck of a season on a collapsing squad though, oh well no biggie i'll just get a custom cover off OS, those kick *** anyway.
Half the people don't even know who Freese is.

# 67 chr11224 @ 11/11/11 02:48 AM
MLB 13 The Show's cover will be Joe Mauer in a Red Sox uniform.

# 68 deputydon @ 11/11/11 07:59 AM
I said it in the other thread also, but I honestly thought they should have put Jim Thome on it. He has been such an amazing ball player since the mid 90's and has never gotten the recognition he deserves. He hit his 600th home run this season, only the 5th 'legit' player to do so. And while I understand that he is past his prime, it's sad to see such an inspirational ball player never get the true recognition that he should.

# 69 Geolink @ 11/11/11 10:23 AM
Another Red Sox player on the cover? Again?!

I seriously wouldn't be so mad if a Cub was on the cover.

# 70 NYYanks26 @ 11/11/11 10:48 AM
It's just a cover.

Besides,

MLB 06 - Ortiz on the cover, Red Sox don't make playoffs.
MLB 09 - Pedroia on cover, Red Sox don't win a playoff game (swept by LAA)

Let the trend continue!

# 71 BlueSkies7776 @ 11/11/11 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Kershaw... Who? Now us hardcore baseball fans know this guy. But your average gamer/sports gamer... Kemp or Kershaw are unrecognizable. And with the Dodgers sad state of affairs with the team and owner... not too marketable at this time.
That will change once Kershaw wins the NL Cy Young this year.

# 72 Pared @ 11/11/11 03:32 PM
This is the perfect choice.

What game do you think the Red Sox were playing this year during their collapse?

You guessed it - MLB The Show.

# 73 soxnut1018 @ 11/11/11 03:51 PM
Although I'm sure these stats have no bearing on who SCEA chooses, Gonzalez is 12th in WAR and 6th in wOBA and OPS. I will still buy the game regardless of the cover, and I understand why they chose him. However, there were plenty of more deserving players.

# 74 EnigmaNemesis @ 11/11/11 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies7776
That will change once Kershaw wins the NL Cy Young this year.
Ok, but not this year, where him being on the cover... the average gamer would be like... who the hell is that, and pay no mind. It does not catch the eye at first glance like a more popular team/athlete would.

The cover athlete is not marketed for US the OS sports fan/gamer. They can put a blank cover with words, and it still should not effect us.

All I see in here is typical sports fanaticism. And I am not sticking up because it is a "Red Sox"... I argued the same arguments until I was blue in the face every, single year on here. Regardless of who was on it.

It is about availability, accessibility, recognizable, etc. The player just isn't "chosen" and that is that. They have to negotiate what the player gets for incentives, the players availbiklity for the marketing of the game. How well the player is spoken. Role model, etc etc. It is not about "stats". This is not an MVP voting, it is a cover of a video game. All factors your typical sports fanatic on here is overlooking.

# 75 EnigmaNemesis @ 11/11/11 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared

What game do you think the Red Sox were playing this year during their collapse?

Mets must have been playing the "other game" then...

Spoiler

# 76 Pared @ 11/11/11 06:18 PM
The Mets were actually playing baseball, not video games.

# 77 EnigmaNemesis @ 11/11/11 06:29 PM
Lets be honest my man... only reason this crap is even in the media, is because of a "collapse". All teams do this crap. All have their clubhouse and front office issues. All have their high profile pampered egos, etc. etc.

As if the Sox are the only team out there that does these things.

All media driven dribble to distract from the simplicity of the game. Drama people suck up. Reality show mentality for the masses.

I just choose ignore all the stuff on all the media waves for all the teams in all sports with this really long run on sentence and watch the games muted in their purest form so I don't have to have the beauty of the sport I love robbed from me due to BS in the media.

And I know you feel the same way too.

# 78 WarningTrackPower @ 11/11/11 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared

Perhaps they were simulating their game that was being played that day to see how it would end up...

Honestly, this is a great choice. A-Gon will appeal to baseball fans who do not frequent these forums, and (in my opinion) will be great in their commercials, and their overall marketing plan. Adrian is also a native of San Diego as well, which I'm sure Sony really likes because they're based in San Diego. Sure, there are other players who might deserve this cover just based on their stats, but I think Adrian makes the most sense for SCEA.

I was actually hoping for Jacoby to make it. He had a monster year... plus he'd be the first Navajo to grace the cover! Curtis Granderson would have also been a great choice. He seems like a pretty good guy.

# 79 Knight165 @ 11/11/11 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarningTrackPower
Perhaps they were simulating their game that was being played that day to see how it would end up...

Honestly, this is a great choice. A-Gon will appeal to baseball fans who do not frequent these forums, and (in my opinion) will be great in their commercials, and their overall marketing plan. Adrian is also a native of San Diego as well, which I'm sure Sony really likes because they're based in San Diego. Sure, there are other players who might deserve this cover just based on their stats, but I think Adrian makes the most sense for SCEA.

I was actually hoping for Jacoby to make it. He had a monster year... plus he'd be the first Navajo to grace the cover! Curtis Granderson would have also been a great choice. He seems like a pretty good guy.
You know what?...The Grandyman would have been pretty good!

M.K.
Knight165

# 80 EnigmaNemesis @ 11/11/11 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarningTrackPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
You know what?...The Grandyman would have been pretty good!

M.K.
Knight165
Agreed. Would have loved Jacoby just for the Native American aspect. And obviously he is a pretty damn good ballplayer.

Granderson would have been good as well.

But I am sure accessibility is key.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.