Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Quote:
The greatest players aren't limited to simple pick up and play as there are two modes focused on ending the debate. The first is the Teammate Challenge where 15 of the best NBA teammate combos ever to grace the NBA face off against each other. You'll have pairings like Alonzo Morning and Larry Johnson of the Hornets; Shaq and Penny from the Magic; and even Pippen and Jordan. You pick the pairing that you like and then face off against the 14 others to claim the title of best duo.

For those who may want to see which era had the best players, the Era Challenge mode provides the answer. Here, teams of three consist of the best players from a given decade. If you're a fan of the '80s, then your team of Isiah Thomas, Patrick Ewing, and Larry Bird will face off against other teams. Here, there are 10 teams to choose from, with two from each decade up to the present.
Quote:
While those modes add a lot to the new experience, my favorite new mode is easily HORSE, where the classic playground trickshot challenge is brought to life with all these classic players. The menu of moves you can pull off is deep, and includes pedestrian stuff like behind the back and no look shots all the way up to kicking shots in or bouncing them off the ground into the hoop. You can even call banks or swishes for added difficulty, and a little exploring will unlock special areas to make shots from like the rooftops of nearby buildings. It's addictive fun, and not as easy as you might assume.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 STLRams @ 11/16/11 08:44 AM
If 2K want to keeps the sales of NBA2K12 strong, they need to release a different DLC than this one. Especially with the current NBA season probably gone, they may as well focus a little more on the classic players feature of the game. First off this next patch that's coming needs to be a good one, that will address all of the gameplay features/options that we have been having problems with. Second they need to give the users full control of what we want to do with the classic teams and players, edit players, add release players, etc. Third add more players or classic teams in DLC. I just don't see this current DLC as being that attractive to the NBA2K12 fans, unless the option is included to be able to unlock those new classic players and add them to any mode you want and to current legend teams, as rumored.

# 22 Mintsa @ 11/16/11 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
If 2K want to keeps the sales of NBA2K12 strong, they need to release a different DLC than this one. Especially with the current NBA season probably gone, they may as well focus a little more on the classic players feature of the game. First off this next patch that's coming needs to be a good one, that will address all of the gameplay features/options that we have been having problems with. Second they need to give the users full control of what we want to do with the classic teams and players, edit players, add release players, etc. Third add more players or classic teams in DLC. I just don't see this current DLC as being that attractive to the NBA2K12 fans, unless the option is included to be able to unlock those new classic players and add them to any mode you want and to current legend teams, as rumored.
^^^

Unfortunately with the doom and gloom of the lockout hanging over this NBA season. That negativity surrounding NBA basketball will effect the sales of the game this year. Nothing 2K can really do about it

But ......It would be cool if they added more classic teams via DLC.

For example: They could release the 01 Sixers vs the 01 Raptors as a small DLC. That would be sweet, they could have a couple of those "match ups" per month.

# 23 poloelite @ 11/16/11 01:23 PM
I really wish sports game designers would just run polls on OS for pretty much all the features they plan on putting in games. You want to sell product to the people? Consult the people. I'm tired of 5 or 6 out of touch lames sitting in an office coming up with bad or so-so ideas. They guy who suggested cell shading should be sent home immediately without pay. The guy who said "Let's lock legend teams for at least two months and I have users unlock them", should be black balled from the industry. By the time they release the patch, DLC and open classic rosters, 95% of gamers will have moved on from NBA 2k12. They waited for the iron to cool completely off and then planned a strike lol.

# 24 Sdrawkcab321 @ 11/16/11 02:06 PM
i asked ronnie on twitter about allowing us to use the legends in association and he said. You'll be able to do that with the DLC Legends Showcase.

# 25 Marc_Rez @ 11/16/11 06:37 PM
I wish there was an option to turn that cell shade on or off. If this DLC is completely in cell shade I might have to pass.

# 26 Spanky @ 11/17/11 12:04 AM
Monumentously Bad Decisions in the Sports Video Gaming Industry:

1. Madden 09's removal of CPU sliders.

2. 2K's decisions to buy the exclusive MLB gaming rights.

3. The abomination that was the NBA Live series.

4. Cell shading in any way, shape or form.

# 27 Sundown @ 11/17/11 12:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VirdG...e_gdata_player

Wow, look at the dislikes. I don't think I've ever seen promotional content for a DLC this poorly received. It might not look that terrible with the cel shading turned off. But the corny announcing, "funky" cel shading, and presentation style really clashes with the classic players, their short shorts and eerily realistic animations.

# 28 Slava Medvadenko @ 11/17/11 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Looks like a Disneyland version of Rucker Park. Listen to that announcer. Now I know where Cartoon Steven A. Smith went to this year.

# 29 sunsaz @ 11/17/11 08:00 AM
I'll be getting it only if it's true that we can get more legends and the ability to freely edit the classic rosters. But since there are conflicting reports of that right now, I'm still in "wait and see" mode.

# 30 VDusen04 @ 11/17/11 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VirdG...e_gdata_player

Wow, look at the dislikes. I don't think I've ever seen promotional content for a DLC this poorly received. It might not look that terrible with the cel shading turned off. But the corny announcing, "funky" cel shading, and presentation style really clashes with the classic players, their short shorts and eerily realistic animations.
At least it was nice to see Bob Cousy.

# 31 STLRams @ 11/17/11 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_Rez
I wish there was an option to turn that cell shade on or off. If this DLC is completely in cell shade I might have to pass.
Ronnie mentioned on twitter yesterday that the option to turn cell shade on/off will be available.

# 32 sunsaz @ 11/17/11 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
Ronnie mentioned on twitter yesterday that the option to turn cell shade on/off will be available.
Sorry for being out of the loop, but is Ronnie a 2K employee? I ask because I don't use Twitter that often.

# 33 jgarrett @ 11/17/11 01:24 PM
Has there been any mention of the date it will drop?

# 34 23 @ 11/17/11 01:39 PM
ummmmmm.... wow

Ok look.. put some classic courts out there with some other older teams, editable ones at that with the jersey's and that will sell better

This right here is just street mode with funny graphics and a weird background...same soundtrack music playing

# 35 RedmanR @ 11/17/11 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsaz
Sorry for being out of the loop, but is Ronnie a 2K employee? I ask because I don't use Twitter that often.
Yes Ronnie is a 2K employee. I'm sorry guys but the only thing 2K needs to Showcase at this time are specifics of this game-play patch we have yet to get word on. The patch preview PLEASE!

# 36 SteboSSK @ 11/17/11 01:59 PM
If they were smart, they would have put some time and effort into a NBA Street type of game to gather that market again instead of marketing a cel shaded REALISM game for 15 bucks. The whole mode just screams GIMMICK. Who actually takes time out to play with the legends on a regular basis anyway? I beat the Greatest mode, and fooled around with Penny Hardaway for 2 games and quickly lost interest. The legends are nothing new and they keep getting marketed like its something fresh. 2k seems like a group that make some great games but has some serious bad business sense. EA may not make the best possible game but they deliver to every single market when it calls for it. 2k would be running the show if they werent always playing catch up and banking on Nba2k to hold the show for them. At this rate EA has the resources and time to get there stuff together. 2k is gonna be in for a rude awakening if they dont fix some of there business decisions.

# 37 DoWork @ 11/17/11 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
ummmmmm.... wow

Ok look.. put some classic courts out there with some other older teams, editable ones at that with the jersey's and that will sell better

This right here is just street mode with funny graphics and a weird background...same soundtrack music playing
Yeah, even if the cell shading graphics can be turned off who wants to just play street ball on a blacktop court in time square? Its stupid.

# 38 VDusen04 @ 11/17/11 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteboSSK
If they were smart, they would have put some time and effort into a NBA Street type of game to gather that market again instead of marketing a cel shaded REALISM game for 15 bucks. The whole mode just screams GIMMICK. Who actually takes time out to play with the legends on a regular basis anyway? I beat the Greatest mode, and fooled around with Penny Hardaway for 2 games and quickly lost interest. The legends are nothing new and they keep getting marketed like its something fresh.
I haven't used anything but the classic teams this year. I find the incomplete current rosters (due to the lockout-enforced lack of transactions) to be problematic. However, even in 2K11, my time spent between current teams and classic teams was split pretty darn evenly, if not skewed in the classic team's favor.

I thought 2K's idea to bolster their classics in 2K12 was a wonderful idea. Worst case scenario? No one plays with classic teams. Best case? You draw a whole new crowd of consumers who have strong connotations with players of years passed. In my case, I love having the best of both worlds. I'm not sure there's ever going to be a big new feature universally liked by everyone. For instance, I'm not huge on the popular My Player mode or any sort of Online Play.

With all that said, I agree this whole DLC thing has shaken out in a funny manner thus far. Like 23 said, I would have found new classic team downloads and courts to be much more preferable than a random 3 on 3 contest in Times Square. Even if the teams released were recent classics using a lot of players still in the league (just with accurate era appearances and court art) I would have been all over them. I'm just hopeful the new classic players are useable in the main game (I feel like I've heard conflicting reports).

# 39 Sinner @ 11/17/11 07:34 PM
want to see how it looks without the cel shad and also wish we could play in the arenas...then maybe I may think about buying

# 40 schmit_95 @ 11/17/11 07:46 PM
Funny thing is, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU GUYS will buy this, and then you'll all move on to complaing about the show 12......

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.