Home
WWE '12 News Post

Now that WWE 12 is available to everyone, we are starting over, with a fresh impressions slate for the OS community.

As we like to keep the clutter down, please post your impressions only. If you have a question, please post in our WWE 12 Q&A thread.

If you would like to read impressions from some of the lucky OS'ers that received the game much earlier, click here.

Renowned WWE Simulation Franchise Returns to Action, Delivering Core Gameplay Improvements, Most Extensive Feature Set to Date and Instinctive Presentation

AGOURA HILLS, Calif. - November 22, 2011 - THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) today announced that WWE® ’12, the long-awaited rebirth of the renowned WWE flagship videogame franchise, is now available at North American retailers for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and the Wii™ system from Nintendo. Featuring a bigger game, badder presentation and better simulation-based gameplay, including critical core gameplay improvements, the most creative and extensive feature set to date and a visceral, edgy and polished presentation, WWE ’12 is available now for the suggested retailed prices of US $59.99 (Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 system) and US $49.99 (Wii).

“WWE ’12 delivers an incredible experience for fans this year through significant gameplay improvements, a robust, diverse feature set and the most polished presentation to date in the franchise,” said Danny Bilson, Executive Vice President, Core Games, THQ. “Now is the time to get in the virtual ring and experience WWE action like never before.”

Game: WWE '12Hype Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 26 - View All
WWE '12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Majingir @ 11/22/11 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp90805
what system?
PS3..........

# 22 cjallure24 @ 11/22/11 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I beat up Cena for like 10 mins on RTWM, and cant get the "prompt" to finish him.....he then FUs me out of nowhere to end the match.

eh.

Im probably not going to get into this game....I have a online axxess code handy....first come, first serve....
I went through the exact same thing. You have to get him to the top of the Stage/Intro Ramp. From there, you are prompt to finish him.

# 23 EL_GABE @ 11/22/11 09:42 PM
Universe has been soo great it would be perfect if all the legends dint appear....but either than that loving this mode gonna be playing it for a while # heel the future

Btw anyone have an extra or dnt want the rocks dl code on the xbox 360? Willing to wrk out a deal for it

# 24 cake612 @ 11/22/11 10:20 PM
Finally got through the Sheamus section of RTWM. The mode has started to grow on me although it still has it's issues. Some of the cutscenes are ok but personally I'm not a fan of just pressing Y after you beat your opponent up enough and then something completely random happens in the cut scene that usually makes no sense considering how the rest of the match went when I was in control. The Elimination chamber was frustrating but the rest of the matches have been pretty straight forward and I haven't needed to retry many of them once I finally got through the first PPV.

I think after a little while my biggest problem was just the characters you use. Sheamus is the main guy but you team with the United Kingdom which means a lot of Steven Reagal and Drew Mcintyre who aren't very interesting characters and I got tired of using them pretty quick. Sheamus and Barrett are solid but there's still to much of the other two for my liking. Hopefully the Triple H section has some better secondary characters.

# 25 Tomba @ 11/23/11 01:37 AM
Took me 10 matches before i won my first.

The sheer amount of moves is staggering BUT its not laid out for the user to learn very well. No video tutorial etc(that I could see)

Graphically (and this is big) and even more importantly. The camera and it's angle are almost arguably the best in ANY sports game Ive played.
IT LOOKS LIKE ITS ON TV!!!!
Almost identical to what you see in a real life broadcast. it adds so much to the matches.

Physics wise i see very little bad. Aside from maybe 1 or 2 bad rope interactions its near perfect for a first time tech...

AI is a bit too fast and tough out the gate but i think thats due to player attributes not being done correctly.

This ONE heck of a pleasant surprise. Even though wrestling is FAKE this game does a fantastic job at making it seem real.

Ultimate fun to be had here.

9.5/10

# 26 CoupleOfFew1 @ 11/23/11 04:17 AM
Quote:
I beat up Cena for like 10 mins on RTWM, and cant get the "prompt" to finish him.....he then FUs me out of nowhere to end the match.

eh.

Im probably not going to get into this game....I have a online axxess code handy....first come, first serve....
What system? Ill take it if its for ps3

# 27 Qb @ 11/23/11 09:30 AM
We had five guys ready to grapple last night and the results were mostly positive. There are some quirks when it comes to starting a custom/private match. Perhaps we all missed something, but we could only see the option to invite your Xbox Live party, not individual friends, from within the match setup screen. (Note: I believe you can invite a single friend from the Xbox guide) More importantly, for some reason game invites often lead to a server error and kick to the main menu. However, if you go to the Xbox Live menu option, it almost always puts you directly into that invite match on the next try (very odd). But enough menu nitpicking, on to the meat & potatoes...

Mill & I did two standard one-on-one matches with practically zero lag. A triple threat ladder match also ran fairly smooth, although it is a bear to win one of those. Once we had everyone in the party, we went for a 5-man championship scramble. Started to see some lag, but it wasn't too bad and there were several kickouts, even late in the match, so it didn't affect things too much.

The real fun started when we did some Royal Rumbles. We were surprised to see that you can have up to 12 users in the match, meaning you'll have to wait to get back in the ring after an elimination. Also, a late elimination does not mean a fresh guy to finish the fight. Unfortunately, we weren't able to finish the one 12-user rumble we tried, as it mysteriously hung after about 20 guys with no new entrants coming in. It's worth mentioning that most of the "randoms" in the match with us quit (including the host we believe) after we decided to gang up on them with 4 or 5 on 1, so perhaps that had something to do with it.

Overall, it was like going through a time warp to the year 2000 and playing No Mercy in the dorm. Frantic action all over the ring, with the added twists of not knowing when someone has a finisher, which can lead to some great moments.

One of my favorites came in the final three after I got Big Show as a late entrant and absolutely cleaned house. It was down to myself, Yoshi Tatsu, and Tyson Kidd. Sensing an impending double team, I went right at both guys, laying waste to twerps. Kidd backed off to let me finish off Yoshi, but quickly moved in as I completed the elimination. He jumped me before I could counter and used a finisher elimination to take me out. Yes, Tyson Kidd will main event Wrestlemania.

I don't think any of us were disappointed with the night. We were worried at first with the menu issues, but once we knew what do, it worked. We had a blast, and Christian would be proud of our "one more match" requests. I highly recommend grabbing some friends and hitting the ring.

# 28 dochalladay32 @ 11/23/11 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
Yup plenty of wrestler themes messed up,out of date or missing too. Didn't even remember that one,good catch! Also there's no soundtrack again this year,just generic menu music. While I'm at it...nope no Nexus theme,lame. Legacy,Show-Miz and Corre are there though.
Yea... Dolph Ziggler who just changed his theme. CM Punk is missing static, not a death blow there. Daniel Bryan changes his theme every few weeks now it seems. Change Mason Ryan's theme to Husky Harris. Cody Rhodes just got a new theme. The point is, the music they have is accurate to when it was entered.

# 29 krispykeith @ 11/23/11 10:40 AM
I have been skipping wrestling games since my sega saturn but I decided to pick this up and I must say I really enjoy it alot. Despite the criticisms of RTWM I actually quite like it. It breaks it up to not just be match after match. I think everything just "feels" about right and the matches have a real organic quality to them that I am just loving. If I could change anything it would be to add additional sliders, particularly a timing slider for the reversal window. I have to play on easy because I am clearly getting old and my reflexes are terrible...so a timing slider or a slower game speed would be aces. Great fun though...they seem to have the balance of "simulation" and "fun" pretty well struck.

Here is my main struggle though...I still have not figured out how deep the grappling system is because I am not sure I understand it. Can someone explain exactly what I am supposed to do during a grapple though? I understand using the right stick to reposition and I can do the limb targeting. What about a basic grapple move though? Am I supposed to hit the button to grapple and let go. Once in the grapple, do I move the left stick in a direction and hit the grapple button again quickly and will the direction I move the stick change the attack I do? Sorry for what seems like a simple question but it always seems like it is the same move unless I limb target. It is the basics that seem to be escaping me.

# 30 Jumpman232 @ 11/23/11 11:12 AM
Quote:

eh.

If it's for 360, I will take it.

# 31 ballerzinc @ 11/23/11 11:35 AM
I just wanna thank THQ, for this time machine that makes feel like I'm in fourth grade playing Wrestlemania 2000 for the first time. Great graphics, realism is top-notch, and I'm not going to lie the graphics were jaw-dropping the first time I fired it up (Punk's tats are perfect, some look better than real life). This is definitely the type of wrestling game that is going to have a ton of replayability when CAWs start getting released. Can't wait to start my universe today.

# 32 Jasong7777 @ 11/23/11 11:42 AM
With no NBA this year it was hard to get into NBA 2k12. WWE Universe will be my season mode of choice this Winter.

# 33 Bellsprout @ 11/23/11 12:41 PM
I really dig the presentation for championship matches. They did a wonderful job making those matches feel more important than a regular one.

# 34 Cpre5 @ 11/23/11 12:54 PM
Had my 1st cage match for number one contender with the rock, Nash, and stone cold. Match was going great till the rock hit me with a rock bottom near the ropes and started to climb out. Nash got stuck Mario running against my body while the rock just climbed out with ease.

# 35 Grumpykore @ 11/23/11 03:35 PM
I skipped on SVR11, so first off...didnt know what to expect , having all other games from years passed...

First match was with my 5 yr old son...he had been waiting all year for this game, he was so excited when i got home last evening...I asked him "did you get the game"...all surprised I had asked him that question, he replyed "Dad i can't drive"...ROFLAO....

Anyways, i had to add that in, before my impressions....

Must be getting old with my gaming hands, cuz my boy whopped me 7 times of the ten we played...I might of been playing lite a bit, as I was trying to fig out the controls..he seems to pick it up..must be that fact he smashed his way thru all-stars...overall I think it is solid game...only a few hours into it, but for a wrasslin game....the best of the best in all my yrs...but nintemdo 64 was pretty good...more later.

peace

# 36 Supermex @ 11/23/11 03:38 PM
Alright, sat down and started going through all facets of the game.
Entrances for the most part, great!
Music great!
Authentic presenation great!
BUT
Then I started the RTWM and BAM! Glitches pouring out of this sucker. At the very very start when Sheamus attacks Cena down the aisle and then I take control, I irish whip Cena into the steel steps, seeing that a newly available weapon (the steps) has presented it self I decided I'd try to smash him with it. Pick up the steps, no problem, slam them onto Cena and somehow Sheamus goes into the floor and is completely impaled heighthwise with the steps. Then I press the button to pick up the steps and Sheamus hits warp speed and flies out of the arenato the far right of the screen and the arena gets to be about the size of the left half of the screen. And where is Sheamus? About 5 "city blocks" to the right! It was crazy. So needless to say I was quite disappointed right off the bat.
Next throughout the matches there has been ALOT of collision detection problems along with limbs (arms/legs) rotating the opposite direction humanly possible. It looked as if they turned into the old Masters of the Universe figures I played with in the 80s with their limbs going opposite ways. There have also been cases with guys morphing through the ring and suddenly popping right back into the ring as if using the old Gangrel rising platform or Rey's old floor catapult.
Now back to some oher positives though, Controls, different but good different.
Characters look pretty much identical to real life counter parts with a few that don't (IMO Alberto Del Rio being one of them, from the shoulders up).
The transitions from shows to matches to shows is very good, seems as if you are watching a Monday Night show.
The AI is a lil off base, but really, when will AI ever be just as good as human decisions? It is almost completely unrealistic to expect EVERY character to have a complete mindset of its own that has them act/attack/taunt just like its real life counter part.
Overall I like the game, its a good step in the right direction, and maybe, just maybe I was one of the unlucky ones that happened to catch an unfortunate glitches in those matches. Wishful thinking I know, but yea, its a solid game that will be fun and offers compettitive balance within most matches.

# 37 Jukeman @ 11/23/11 04:32 PM
Maybe I have to get used to the controls but as of now they suck compared to last year. It just feels awkward.

My first match was a handicap 2-on-1 tag against Mark Henry(AI) vs Air Boom(me) on legend difficulty (finisher damaged max, momentum at slowest)

Mark Henry destroyed me the entire match which lasted about 11 minutes, mainly due to the fact of me not being comfy with the controls yet.

I honestly pulled off about 5 moves combined between Kofi and Bourn but needles to say I still won the match with a hurricanrana pin by Bourn (which I dont even know how I pulled off)

Shocking victory honestly because Henry used his super finisher (I was already a bloody mess) which I was able to kick out on a one count (thanks to the skilled based kick out system ) before Kofi came into the ring for a possible save. Minutes later, I finally was on the offensive end after a couple strikes and a grapple which awarded me the 3 count.

AI is def better than last year and it was a breath of fresh air seeing Mark put some offense on me and not just relying on reversals, altho the AI did hesitate a few times where as if I knew the controls I could have took advantage of it.

So far so good but yet the same ole same ole...

Im sad they took out the in ring tutorial..Along with a few other needed options.

Sent from my HumancentiPad using Tapatalk

# 38 tcrews @ 11/23/11 08:22 PM
You can absolutely put me in the group that pretty much gave this game no fighting chance to be any good. I was so fed up with current gen wrestling games that I learned how to mod No Mercy myself so I could put my dream compilation in there.

That being said, you can also put me in the group that is overwhelmingly surprised by how good this game actually is. I haven't had a ton of time with it, but even after a half dozen matches, a lot has changed, most of it for the better. It's definitely not a complete game, meaning there's a lot more work that needs to be done to make it the best wrestling game of all time, but it's amazing how much adding a realistic momentum system and No Mercy esque grappling really did for this game.

My only critique, and unfortunately I've wished this for years; is that they finally overhaul the reversal system. They've successfully implemented momentum, now they need to add legit reversals to every move, and not just redundant "counter grapples". They've added a few new counters, but not nearly enough. The riskier the move you attempt, especially with the momentum in your opponents favor, there should be a huge risk involved. Giving your opponent a powerbomb early in the match after being thrown around for the first 2 minutes? A true reversal/counter system would make the matches infinitely more cerebral.

I'm enjoying the new submission system. I don't really mind that it's a button masher, someone can always fight out of it, and you can always win it if you do the right things first. Work on a limb, then attempt a finishing submission finisher, and watch your work pay off.

The presentation is pretty good, no complaints there really. The graphics are much, much better than last years. Honestly the hi-res textures I have in NM were better than last years graphics, which is just sad. This year they're back to where they should be.

If you're on the fence, and/or rented first like I did, I would absolutely suggest playing it for a few before you flat out buy it. The changes are pretty well implemented and I'm just as shocked as anyone else, it truly does feel like a new game and not SvR12.

# 39 Bellsprout @ 11/24/11 12:04 AM
I'd rather Cena didn't get up after 1 in a Last Man Standing match where I hit him with 2 GTS's, put him through 2 tables, and beat him repeatedly with a chair and sledgehammer.

Though, to be fair, I got up at 4 after the third AA he gave me of the match, so... yeah. That meter's a bitch.

# 40 DTX3 @ 11/24/11 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayman
I'd rather Cena didn't get up after 1 in a Last Man Standing match where I hit him with 2 GTS's, put him through 2 tables, and beat him repeatedly with a chair and sledgehammer.

Though, to be fair, I got up at 4 after the third AA he gave me of the match, so... yeah. That meter's a bitch.
Cena did that? Sounds about right.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.