Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Check out the latest NBA 2K12 Developer Insight with Producer Ben Bishop, as he talks about the upcoming Legends Showcase DLC, which will release on November 29th for both PS3 and 360.

Quote:
Ben Bishop here, one of the producers for NBA 2K12. I’m going to get into some of the details regarding our latest addition to the game, the Legends Showcase DLC. This is a project we’ve been pretty excited about for quite some time. First off, I think it’s important to note that this is something we’ve had in the works from the early stages of NBA 2K12’s development cycle. We felt like with all the great things we were doing with Legend players in NBA’s Greatest mode, there was still room for more. We really liked the idea of the NBA’s Greatest teams helping to end the debate about the greatest team of all-time. But that left open a pretty big follow-up question: who is the greatest player of all-time? And with that, the Legends Showcase was born.

This is not Blacktop mode revisited or some simple mode that we yanked off the disc at the last minute. The amount of content we added, from art and presentation to animations and AI, required several months of dedicated time from the team and there’s simply no way it could have been included in NBA 2K12. Legends Showcase really is a full-on unique product that offers a completely different experience from what you get in the main game.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 sdballer @ 11/22/11 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
I wouldn't expect this...
Yeah, I was just being sarcastic.

# 22 Pared @ 11/22/11 03:16 PM
Well, ya got me.

# 23 STLRams @ 11/22/11 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsaz
Good news: We get our roster, release date (next Tuesday for an added bonus), and the developer confirmation that we can freely edit the classic rosters.

Bad news: While they confirm the new 45 legends can be used in Creating A Legend mode, that still isn't a confirmation that they'll be usable on regular rosters for the other modes (Association, Quick Game, Etc.).

So basically we will finally be able to freely edit the classic rosters, add trade, release players etc, but we can't play with the new 45 legends outside of the legends showcase? I still feel like we shouldn't have to pay for the option to edit greatest teams rosters. Damn 2K what's the deal, why take on step forward and two steps back? You know we want to play with those new legends in all of the other modes also, why do that to your fans????

# 24 ZB9 @ 11/22/11 04:06 PM
This is certainly the best roster of all time great players ever seen in a sports video game. It's not cheap to license all of these old players..if people want them to continue including all time greats in future games, then stop complaining about 10 bucks

# 25 tyreeii @ 11/22/11 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsaz
I stand corrected.
No, you will be able to edit the rosters and classic teams. Per the developers blog on FB:

"And finally, don’t forget that with the Legends Showcase, you will open up a new option in the Online portion of the main game called Classic Quick Match. This gives you a chance to play online with all of the NBA’s Greatest teams in a standard simulation setting. This is completely outside of the Times Square, cell-shaded DLC environment and with only these all-time teams to choose from, it will hopefully help maintain an even playing field. Additionally, you’ll also have full roster control over all those NBA’s Greatest teams so you can bring them into Association mode, or edit, trade, and release players, you can do all that too."

# 26 sdballer @ 11/22/11 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyreeii
No, you will be able to edit the rosters and classic teams. Per the developers blog on FB:

"And finally, don’t forget that with the Legends Showcase, you will open up a new option in the Online portion of the main game called Classic Quick Match. This gives you a chance to play online with all of the NBA’s Greatest teams in a standard simulation setting. This is completely outside of the Times Square, cell-shaded DLC environment and with only these all-time teams to choose from, it will hopefully help maintain an even playing field. Additionally, you’ll also have full roster control over all those NBA’s Greatest teams so you can bring them into Association mode, or edit, trade, and release players, you can do all that too."
I don't think that was what the poster said. He thought you could bring the new players from the DLC into Create a Legend mode, which I don't think you can.

# 27 jeebs9 @ 11/22/11 04:48 PM
Wait all those players and no Iverson?.... WTF....Did I miss his name or something?

# 28 sunsaz @ 11/22/11 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdballer
I don't think that was what the poster said. He thought you could bring the new players from the DLC into Create a Legend mode, which I don't think you can.
That's exactly what I meant.

# 29 Classic88 @ 11/22/11 05:36 PM
I guess I'm buying this then lol. I just want the freedom to use legends however and whenever I want. This lock-out is killing me inside

# 30 Crossover1 @ 11/22/11 05:59 PM
We know the issue with Barkley and Miller, but when will we hear something about Iverson? I'm pretty sure he's not asking for anything near what Barkley and Miller are wanting (or not wanting).

# 31 VDusen04 @ 11/22/11 06:16 PM
For some reason, I scrolled through the list of additional legends to get a peak at which version of the newer players were going to be included. It's going to be pretty cool to see players from teams rocking jerseys we've yet to see in 2K to this point ('93 Suns, '94 Nets, '02 Bucks, etc.). I'm going to enjoy that. However, my heart breaks knowing these players and uniforms will not be available in the actual game.

Knowing absolutely nothing about video game art development, I at least hope the hard work they put in on the jerseys for DLC can serve as a great starter for including all those jerseys as retros in 2K13.

# 32 alecast @ 11/22/11 07:30 PM
Will people from other countries be able to buy the DLC? Having a PSN account and internet connection is it all that it takes?

# 33 qpc123 @ 11/22/11 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossover1
We know the issue with Barkley and Miller, but when will we hear something about Iverson? I'm pretty sure he's not asking for anything near what Barkley and Miller are wanting (or not wanting).
This is all based on assumption and has been covered in other threads. Iverson left to play oversea's but did not retire. For him to return to the NBA he would also have to rejoin the players union(that doesn't really exist at this point) much like rookies who are not yet official part of the union. Since none of this occurred prior to 2k's release and they won't update rosters until/if there is a NBA season Iverson is in the same boat as the rookies. No chance he's in the game until the lockout ends. He's not retired so he can't be a "legend" and he isn't a current NBA player(wasn't last year either) so 2k did not include him on the default roster. If memory serves me he was on the default roster in 2k11 but was removed in later updates once it became clear that he wouldn't be in the league for the season.

Don't take this as "I don't A.I. in the game" because I do, but I can understand why he's not included at this point.

# 34 tril @ 11/22/11 08:27 PM
so is this game all online. cause that 21 online with a bunch of players sounds nice. Id get this just for that

# 35 L1VINGL3GACY @ 11/22/11 08:37 PM
NO CREW NO BUY

# 36 Crossover1 @ 11/22/11 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qpc123
This is all based on assumption and has been covered in other threads. Iverson left to play oversea's but did not retire. For him to return to the NBA he would also have to rejoin the players union(that doesn't really exist at this point) much like rookies who are not yet official part of the union. Since none of this occurred prior to 2k's release and they won't update rosters until/if there is a NBA season Iverson is in the same boat as the rookies. No chance he's in the game until the lockout ends. He's not retired so he can't be a "legend" and he isn't a current NBA player(wasn't last year either) so 2k did not include him on the default roster. If memory serves me he was on the default roster in 2k11 but was removed in later updates once it became clear that he wouldn't be in the league for the season.

Don't take this as "I don't A.I. in the game" because I do, but I can understand why he's not included at this point.
Now this makes sense. Thanks!

# 37 dbak1111 @ 11/22/11 08:54 PM
Lol, whats the point. I'll buy it, go online to play someone and it will prob just drop out half way through anyway.

# 38 tyreeii @ 11/22/11 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdballer
Sorry about that, I misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification.

# 39 VDusen04 @ 11/22/11 10:18 PM
Time for a little bit of a reach:
Quote:
While we captured some fancier passes, dribble moves, and dunks to make the Legends stand out and differentiate the gameplay, it’s all still grounded in reality.
I assume they just added more street-like dunks. However, it'd have been pretty awesome if guys like '01 Vince Carter had signature dunks, yeah? Say the elbow dunk or reverse 360 cuff windmill?

# 40 fatleg3 @ 11/22/11 10:34 PM
Im going to still pass on this until I see some footage or after its released and someone can confirm that you can turn the cell-shade off. I just refuse to play any game with that kind of graphics

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.