Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Check out the latest NBA 2K12 Developer Insight with Producer Ben Bishop, as he talks about the upcoming Legends Showcase DLC, which will release on November 29th for both PS3 and 360.

Quote:
Ben Bishop here, one of the producers for NBA 2K12. I’m going to get into some of the details regarding our latest addition to the game, the Legends Showcase DLC. This is a project we’ve been pretty excited about for quite some time. First off, I think it’s important to note that this is something we’ve had in the works from the early stages of NBA 2K12’s development cycle. We felt like with all the great things we were doing with Legend players in NBA’s Greatest mode, there was still room for more. We really liked the idea of the NBA’s Greatest teams helping to end the debate about the greatest team of all-time. But that left open a pretty big follow-up question: who is the greatest player of all-time? And with that, the Legends Showcase was born.

This is not Blacktop mode revisited or some simple mode that we yanked off the disc at the last minute. The amount of content we added, from art and presentation to animations and AI, required several months of dedicated time from the team and there’s simply no way it could have been included in NBA 2K12. Legends Showcase really is a full-on unique product that offers a completely different experience from what you get in the main game.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 guesswhozbak17 @ 11/22/11 11:35 PM
I'm baffled by the fact that a DLC Insight was released yet we were promised an Online Insight and that was never commented on. And personally, I'd rather pay for a patch that fixes all the bugs than this DLC. Nothing against the DLC, I just think priority should be making the game work as advertised before adding "extra" things to something that still has some major flaws.

# 42 Sundown @ 11/23/11 12:18 AM
You know, usually I'm the one that tries to set folks straight when they claim that work on presentation somehow holds back work on gameplay, AI, and other areas, because the team doing one is separate from the team doing the other-- but it really chaps me that they actually diverted resources to work on AI for the DLC 3 on 3 game when they should have been fixing the AI and mechanics in the main game for the patch. Argh.

# 43 qpc123 @ 11/23/11 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosque
IS THIS FOR PC?
First page, sixth post, and from a dev.

# 44 VDusen04 @ 11/23/11 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
You know, usually I'm the one that tries to set folks straight when they claim that work on presentation somehow holds back work on gameplay, AI, and other areas, because the team doing one is separate from the team doing the other-- but it really chaps me that they actually diverted resources to work on AI for the DLC 3 on 3 game when they should have been fixing the AI and mechanics in the main game for the patch. Argh.
Yeah, I'm actually still willing to defend the legends and whatnot. However, I'm with you, as I read that insight about how much time and effort they'd put into 3-on-3 and whatnot, I was sort of left wondering if it was time well spent. I suppose we'll find out come Tuesday.

# 45 Blak_Baki_Hanma @ 11/23/11 11:39 AM
maybe it's just me (but i doubt it)....

but why introduced DLC for a franchise that is, by its own admission, mired in Sega Dreamcast-era online functionality?

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to correct and perfect online stability and basic game-mode functionality BEFORE peddling more underdeveloped add-on products?

Incidentally, this is the "Sim Gamer's" site, correct?
I'm just asking because i don't recall a single request or wish-list-entry from a single person here for CARTOONISH graphics and non-stardard basketball modes.

I DO, HOWEVER, recall continuous pleading (year in and year out) for a game that actually functions online with some sense of regularity and reliabilithy.

What I'm basically saying is... Shouldn't 2k make sure they've provided us with a working freezer before trying to sell us bags of ice??

I just don't know why NBA-Scanner-Darkly2k12 even exists... EXCEPT as a blatant attempt to steal consumers of the (sure-to-be) arcade experience of a returning NBA Live/Elite franchise.

I just want to play realistic basketball and NBA 2k is so close... yet so far away.

So, like any responsible consumer, I WILL SPEAK WITH MY WALLET.

# 46 Rockie_Fresh88 @ 11/23/11 12:56 PM
sigh...guess I'm alone. this game is so freakin deep. come on guys. 30 legend teams could have been released as a separate game for 59.99 itself. why are we mad about an optional $10 release of streetball game? let 's see for 70.00 bucks total we get..

Association-25 years of simulation!
Exhibition
Create-A-Team-Add 10 more teams to already deep roster!
Create -A-Player
Ability to edit tendencies .name another video game with that.
Situational-recreate our favorite moments!
Playoff
Season
Myplayer
Create a legend
legend challenges
Blacktop-Although stripped
Legends showcase-revised blacktop with more street feel
Signatures- more shots, dunks,lay-ups etc.. than ever
2kshare! my favorite
Reelmaker
custom arena sounds
decent selection of accessories and shoes
more practice modes
Ability to play coach (coach mode)
much improved post game offensively anyway
better playbooks

I can keep going but I've got my money's worth, and I haven't really touched a lot of game modes. Thats not to say the game doesn't have faults. there are anoying glitches and gameplay problems. but at least 2k is supporting their game. besides this might encourage more legend teams...

# 47 RedSceptile @ 11/23/11 01:06 PM
All I did was skip down to 03 McGrady and scream like a little girl.

# 48 RedmanR @ 11/23/11 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak_Baki_Hanma
maybe it's just me (but i doubt it)....

but why introduced DLC for a franchise that is, by its own admission, mired in Sega Dreamcast-era online functionality?

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to correct and perfect online stability and basic game-mode functionality BEFORE peddling more underdeveloped add-on products?

Incidentally, this is the "Sim Gamer's" site, correct?
I'm just asking because i don't recall a single request or wish-list-entry from a single person here for CARTOONISH graphics and non-stardard basketball modes.

I DO, HOWEVER, recall continuous pleading (year in and year out) for a game that actually functions online with some sense of regularity and reliabilithy.

What I'm basically saying is... Shouldn't 2k make sure they've provided us with a working freezer before trying to sell us bags of ice??

I just don't know why NBA-Scanner-Darkly2k12 even exists... EXCEPT as a blatant attempt to steal consumers of the (sure-to-be) arcade experience of a returning NBA Live/Elite franchise.

I just want to play realistic basketball and NBA 2k is so close... yet so far away.

So, like any responsible consumer, I WILL SPEAK WITH MY WALLET.

You deserve an encore my friend

I'm highly disappointed with 2K right now. They can take this Legends Showcase DLC and blow it out their ?!

Not only do I agree with everything your saying but I'm more interested in the insight regarding this upcoming game-play patch not playing some street mode that was removed from the game with hope of persuading the consumer to shell out more cash for crap that's not worth playing. Fix what we have first!

Quote:
I feel you Sundown

Sorry if I offended anyone but. . . it seems like there's too much focus on the wagon in front of the horse here when we have a game that's been released since Oct. 4th that needs some serious questions answered.

# 49 Pared @ 11/23/11 02:43 PM
Guys - this isn't the thread to keep bringing things up that have been talked about before and in other threads.

Can we keep this thread on the DLC perhaps? Apparently you can go on Facebook and let loose your fury there... but it's getting old when a thread is trying to discuss something and the same guys keep coming in and repeating the same things.

# 50 spfalla @ 11/23/11 02:49 PM
This may be a stupid question, but if I wanted to get this without having NBA 2k12 would that be possible?

# 51 dkrause1971 @ 11/23/11 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spfalla
This may be a stupid question, but if I wanted to get this without having NBA 2k12 would that be possible?
I would Tweet or PM one of the devs for confirmation, i would think you'll need the retail game as it likely pulls the legends that are on the disk to use in that mode.

# 52 dkrause1971 @ 11/23/11 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5541
sigh...guess I'm alone. this game is so freakin deep. come on guys. 30 legend teams could have been released as a separate game for 59.99 itself. why are we mad about an optional $10 release of streetball game? let 's see for 70.00 bucks total we get..

Association-25 years of simulation!
Exhibition
Create-A-Team-Add 10 more teams to already deep roster!
Create -A-Player
Ability to edit tendencies .name another video game with that.
Situational-recreate our favorite moments!
Playoff
Season
Myplayer
Create a legend
legend challenges
Blacktop-Although stripped
Legends showcase-revised blacktop with more street feel
Signatures- more shots, dunks,lay-ups etc.. than ever
2kshare! my favorite
Reelmaker
custom arena sounds
decent selection of accessories and shoes
more practice modes
Ability to play coach (coach mode)
much improved post game offensively anyway
better playbooks

I can keep going but I've got my money's worth, and I haven't really touched a lot of game modes. Thats not to say the game doesn't have faults. there are anoying glitches and gameplay problems. but at least 2k is supporting their game. besides this might encourage more legend teams...
You hit the nail on the head. Not buying DLC like this (assuming your interested and just boycotting it) only sends the message to 2K that your not interested in the DLC's content (IE legends and extra modes). This doesn't send them a message that your pissed about game-play or anything else dealing with the retail game.

If your really mad about game-play, write them directly and do not buy 2K13. Coming here and diving into every thread that people who actually like 2K12 are discussing and asking them how they like that crap just hurts the board, it doesn't do anything to 2K. Should you be heard? Of course but like one smoker in a room of non-smokers maybe from time to time you could be considerate of the rest of us and not light up in every thread.

# 53 VDusen04 @ 11/23/11 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSceptile
All I did was skip down to 03 McGrady and scream like a little girl.
I have to be honest, I've spent a lot of time bummin' at the idea of not being able to use the new legends in the real game. However, the more I think about it, the more pumped I'm getting at the idea of being able to use them at all. The prime versions of currents is going to be pretty awesome.

Also, '03 Ben Wallace better be fro'd out, elsewise I will be throwing my XBox into the Kalamazoo River.

# 54 mpenias @ 11/23/11 05:56 PM
this is confusing a bit.
i dont play online so i dont know what these features mean
i usually edit the rosters of 8 teams and have fantasy style drafts with buddies and get to play with our own teams
as you all know, i can only trade players who are on "current" nba rosters.
does this update mean i can now trade for classic players as well or does the update only pertain to online play?

thanks!

# 55 jersez @ 11/24/11 10:19 PM
Wait wait wait.... So you want us to pay 10 extra dollars for a 60- 63 game. Which needs multiple patches.... I'm sorry but 2k hasn't even fixed it's servers, collision system, or ball physics, also that last patch didn't even do anything if you ask me. I'm sorry but Mr. Purple was right 2k is sitting back counting their cash. Smh at the people that buy this without 2k fixing their game. This is my opinion so don't try to argue my opinion.

# 56 lalakerzfan58 @ 11/26/11 12:20 PM
do you think you will be able to place the legends on actual teams?

# 57 dkrause1971 @ 11/26/11 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakerzfan58
do you think you will be able to place the legends on actual teams?
I thought you could put the new legends on the rosters but now i am not sure either. I would wait until some guys have the DLC and look for the confirmation.

# 58 daveberg @ 11/28/11 06:57 AM
So what's the deal, anyone heard any confirmation yet that we can use the new legends and place them on teams to us use in different game modes?

# 59 VDusen04 @ 11/28/11 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg
So what's the deal, anyone heard any confirmation yet that we can use the new legends and place them on teams to us use in different game modes?
I haven't heard anything. I'm pessimistic in this regard. Though, I may have heard some posters stating they'd been found on the disc somewhere. So in theory, hexing may be an option. Don't quote me on that though.

# 60 yungsta404 @ 11/28/11 10:12 AM
They said you will NOT be able to use the new legends in the regular game.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.