Home
News Post

Ebenezer Samuel, writer for The New York Daily News, has posted his MLB 12 The Show hands-on impressions, discussing the improvements made in the game with the Playstation Move.

Quote:
Sony’s Move can differentiate various swings, and it does it with relative accuracy. If you pull your shoulder back and “load,” it reads that as a power swing, and if you attempt to check your swing, the game can read that, too. It’s all instantly immersive, and it easily adds tremendous drama to each and every at-bat.

It’s also incredibly difficult. I don’t know about you, but I’m not exactly headed for next year’s MLB Draft, and if not for pitch-guessing and quick button-pressing reflexes, my virtual Albert Pujols would never smack a single home run, so the idea of stepping into the batter’s box against a pixelated Jared Weaver is not a pleasant thought. You don’t have much time to recognize pitches in this game, and while each and every at-bat is exhilarating in its realism, it’s also frustrating once you realize that you’re, well, not anywhere close to MLB-ready.

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Knight165 @ 12/10/11 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
Remember companies (Sony in this case) always try to sell their product to a broader audience to increase sales. SCEA always listens to us hardcore fans but ofcourse also have to keep sales in mind otherwise this game won't get another chance upcoming years.

I must say I've never been interested in the move. Hearing about the little lag and the fact you only could see a floating bat kept me from even trying. But now hearing you see the actual player I'm getting curious, if the lag is gone as well I will definitely give it a try! Having friends over and swing for the fences with your favourite player in homerun derby (or the actual game in '12) will be a blast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3veron
The whole Move integration is very exciting and as usual I hate to be the pessimist but I am not a fan of Move (nor do I own it). When I get home from a long day, I am happy to be a couch potato pressing (and totally mis timing) X for a swing.

I'd love to see the analog functions better defined for example and the entirely new ball physics has me drooling.

Sure there is huge potential in this but I am just hoping there are enough improvements to keep us core (and perhaps boring) players interested.

You too are both right!...
There is definitely a balance they have to and are working to maintain.
It's "easier" for me to get a vibe for this....because I get to talk to the devs and relay our suggestions...and I get a peek into their plans sometimes.

Keep the faith, not only for '12 but beyond!

M.K.
Knight165

# 22 Bobhead @ 12/10/11 03:28 PM
1. For someone who never even tried the Move thing last year in Home Run Derby, I'd like some more information. How does this whole move thing work with regards to left handed batters vs right handed batters? Will I have to match the side my batter is taking, or can I just swing left handed for all of them (since I bat far better left handed in real life)?

2. Also does it actually read where you swing, in terms of for location? If I get a low pitch, do I just swing low? Or is there some analog stick on the controller I still need to use?

3. Bacon????

# 23 nomo17k @ 12/10/11 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
1. For someone who never even tried the Move thing last year in Home Run Derby, I'd like some more information. How does this whole move thing work with regards to left handed batters vs right handed batters? Will I have to match the side my batter is taking, or can I just swing left handed for all of them (since I bat far better left handed in real life)?

2. Also does it actually read where you swing, in terms of for location? If I get a low pitch, do I just swing low? Or is there some analog stick on the controller I still need to use?

3. Bacon????
1. I don't think the HR derby in MLB11 will be a good example of what Move can do on future iterations of the Show... It was basically a button interface replaced by back/forward movement with Move and not much else. The reason why I'm more enthused now is that the articles mention that it's a vast improvement over the HR derby implementation. Basically left and right doesn't really matter; it was just far to closer movement of the Move controller that triggered a swing. So I'd imagine you can initiate a swing by just moving the controller back and forth right in front of you body. That was MLB11...

2. Yes! Maybe one of those days you should go to BestBuy or something in which you can play the demo of Table Tennis/Sports Champions. I think you'll see why I'm all for move...

3. Here in this forum the talk of the town is how we get served chicken dinner. No bacon.

# 24 Knight165 @ 12/10/11 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
1. I don't think the HR derby in MLB11 will be a good example of what Move can do on future iterations of the Show... It was basically a button interface replaced by back/forward movement with Move and not much else. The reason why I'm more enthused now is that the articles mention that it's a vast improvement over the HR derby implementation. Basically left and right doesn't really matter; it was just far to closer movement of the Move controller that triggered a swing. So I'd imagine you can initiate a swing by just moving the controller back and forth right in front of you body. That was MLB11...

2. Yes! Maybe one of those days you should go to BestBuy or something in which you can play the demo of Table Tennis/Sports Champions. I think you'll see why I'm all for move...

3. Here in this forum the talk of the town is how we get served chicken dinner. No bacon.
Yes...from what I understand...it is much improved in '12 over '11's implementation.

M.K.
Knight165

# 25 etched Chaos @ 12/10/11 09:12 PM
I'm hoping you can call your shots like the Babe lol.

# 26 nomo17k @ 12/10/11 09:37 PM
One reason why introduction of Move is perhaps inevitable is that the Show, with its annual release cycle, needs some "wow" factor to appeal to both repeaters and newcomers.

I remember one of the most shared feelings among reviewers on MLB11 was that the Show has become a bit "stale." I started with PS3 and MLB10 demo right around this time last year, so I cannot really comment on how I'd be feeling a couple years from now, but it seems a lot of people do demand some air of freshness every year.

Yes, there are a lot of things veteran gamers have been waiting for, such as franchise improvement, trade AI logic improvement, etc. And being a sim fanatic, I do enjoy seeing improvements in those areas than some sort of eye candies that really don't affect the core game play... Hardcore people in places like OS would rather see them, and I'm one of them I suppose, but we have to realize that we are only a small fraction of the devs' target customers.

The devs simply cannot put "FRANCHISE OVERHAUL!!!", "OUTFIELDER SENSE OF URGENCY!!" "NEW, VIBRANT GRASS COLOR" on the back of the DVD box and expect random people at BestBuy to get interested, you know what I mean??

I think Move has a potential to add that "wow" factor that people are now demanding from the Show. I want the Show to continue to be commercially successful so that they can eventually get to the core parts like OS people are discussing here... so from that perspective, I don't think you should dismiss Move as a gimmickry move (pun intentionally unintentional).

# 27 mjsonoma01 @ 12/11/11 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
One reason why introduction of Move is perhaps inevitable is that the Show, with its annual release cycle, needs some "wow" factor to appeal to both repeaters and newcomers.

I remember one of the most shared feelings among reviewers on MLB11 was that the Show has become a bit "stale." I started with PS3 and MLB10 demo right around this time last year, so I cannot really comment on how I'd be feeling a couple years from now, but it seems a lot of people do demand some air of freshness every year.

Yes, there are a lot of things veteran gamers have been waiting for, such as franchise improvement, trade AI logic improvement, etc. And being a sim fanatic, I do enjoy seeing improvements in those areas than some sort of eye candies that really don't affect the core game play... Hardcore people in places like OS would rather see them, and I'm one of them I suppose, but we have to realize that we are only a small fraction of the devs' target customers.

The devs simply cannot put "FRANCHISE OVERHAUL!!!", "OUTFIELDER SENSE OF URGENCY!!" "NEW, VIBRANT GRASS COLOR" on the back of the DVD box and expect random people at BestBuy to get interested, you know what I mean??

I think Move has a potential to add that "wow" factor that people are now demanding from the Show. I want the Show to continue to be commercially successful so that they can eventually get to the core parts like OS people are discussing here... so from that perspective, I don't think you should dismiss Move as a gimmickry move (pun intentionally unintentional).
Couldnt agree more with you Nomo. We are definatley in a minority when it comes to looking for franchise and trade logic improvements. It would appear it is easier to attract new buyers with new gadgets instead of retaining old buyers with improved functionality. I would not have bought MLB The Show 11 because 10 had such horrific trades and free agent issues, but we were all but guaranteed the problems were fixed. Im not buying until the game has been released and I read some reveiws from actual players like you, Nomo. That is the only opinion I will trust at this point.

# 28 Bobhead @ 12/11/11 03:53 PM
I also completely agree with you nomo. It's also worth noting that I don't see it as a gimmick - in fact, I'm extremely excited about this Move thing, and can't wait to buy it when I buy The Show 2012 (hint: maybe SCEA should sell a Move + Game bundle?)

# 29 vinny_77 @ 12/13/11 06:46 PM
Sounds awesome...if it works. I'm definitely optimistic that the programmers will get it right. A first person perspective while playing RTTS would be the icing on the cake.

# 30 rudyjuly2 @ 02/09/12 05:29 AM
Corey Hart was demoing the Move at Playstation Destination. Quite frankly, I had no clue there was a new event going on. I would definitely consider a Show/Move bundle.

https://twitter.com/#!/FS_Gamer/stat...164289/photo/1

# 31 Joey @ 02/09/12 08:22 AM
The different amount of games is only an option in season mode, not franchise. Just fyi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
ok good, i didn't buy last years game so i'm still actually trying to finish my season from the game 2 years ago.

# 32 thaSLAB @ 02/09/12 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey
The different amount of games is only an option in season mode, not franchise. Just fyi.
True. It should be noted tthat of you play 'season' it's not a one and done thing. The calendar flips over, just like in franchise, just not for as many seasons. And minus all of the team management stuff.

I noticed this was an old thread, I guess I could offer some insight having played with the new Move controls... maybe later, lol.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.