Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

NBA 2K12 will not have a 66 game schedule patched into the game. It will be available for NBA Today only, no other mode will be touched.

Here are Ronnie's tweets on the topic.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Colts18 @ 12/18/11 10:48 AM
2K, in the future, just allow "Season Length" to be edited before each year of the Association Mode. That way people could do 58 this year and 82 next time. It really isn't an issue though. I thought it was crazy to ask them to patch that in the first place. It would have been nice but I didn't expect it.

As I said, I have never seen HUDS (is that the right term for in game text/options) added/removed from the game.

# 42 Leftos @ 12/18/11 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts18
As I said, I have never seen HUDS (is that the right term for in game text/options) added/removed from the game.
They added such a feature this year, and us PC users can verify this. My "Online Data" folder is full of additional files that have been downloaded automatically and silently without even a patch. Subtle changes, mind you, but when I first created a MyPlayer days after release, it wouldn't check for profanity in the Last Name, but now it does. No patch has been released for the PC, but all the .iff files can be updated silenty (just like the Roster), and they have been doing just that.

And I now the HUDS (and no, the correct words are interface and features) have been updated too, since I can see files like "englishfe.iff" having been downloaded in my Online Data folder, where fe means "front-end", a.k.a. the interface.

So they can change text and patch things here and there, just nothing that is actually part of the codebase. The code of the game is in nba2k12.exe, which can't be updated silently, and needs a patch that's separate for every Digital Distributor and region, etc. But things like text and art that are not hard-coded but are in the .iff files can and are updated silently and without a patch.

And no, a 66 game season is a core feature change that would require a patch. And from my programming experience, it can be done, but it would have to be planned beforehand, as it would require lots of testing, something that is kind of a luxury for 2K right now. Well, testing proved to be a luxury for the whole game actually, judging by the number of glitches it had on release. I guess the lay-offs didn't do 2K any good, and most of its QA department is now gone, or underpaid (and thus not willing to do their job right), or just under-qualified. I'm just speculating here, but it's one quite possible explanation.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.