Home
Grand Slam Tennis 2 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

The Grand Slam Tennis 2 demo was available for a short time this morning, it was pulled shortly after it went up. No official word on why or what happened.

Check out the gameplay videos and leave your thoughts.

Game: Grand Slam Tennis 2Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 2 - View All
Grand Slam Tennis 2 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Methlab @ 12/21/11 11:54 AM
Love Johnny Mac using the old Dunlop as the main focus..so awesome!

# 2 CaptainZombie @ 12/21/11 02:42 PM
Can't wait for impressions, the Wii version was so darn fun.

# 3 Panicshade @ 12/21/11 03:06 PM
I liked the demo. The graphics are great and the gameplay seems solid. The Total Control serving took me a bit to get used to but is easy once you get it down. Having commentary from John McEnroe and Pat Cash is a welcome addition and took me a little by surprise because I was used to the Top Spin style of having no commentary. I am by no means an expert tennis video game player but I would say for me it will compete equally with Top Spin for best tennis game and I think Top Spin 4 is one of the best underrated sports games released right now.

# 4 BCDX97 @ 12/21/11 03:32 PM
The demo is gone now? Come back, demo. I wanted to check you out.

# 5 Methlab @ 12/21/11 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDX97
The demo is gone now? Come back, demo. I wanted to check you out.
Noo..its gone?? I hope that is not the case when I fire up my 360 since I queued it up to dload from the Live website.

Panic, thanks for the review..it got me excited to read that.

# 6 CaptainZombie @ 12/21/11 04:23 PM
I wonder how the motion controls will be for this one.

# 7 Steve_OS @ 12/21/11 04:26 PM
I think the demo was pulled. Consider yourself lucky if you grabbed it. Panicshade, can you capture any video from it?

# 8 Panicshade @ 12/21/11 05:15 PM
I'm sorry...I don't have any video capture equipment

I guess that whoever put the demo up today did it too early. Usually EA announces their demos ahead of time. I only saw it today when I was going through the marketplace and saw the demo there and was surprised because I had seen absolutely nothing about a demo being released. As I was downloading I came here and saw the post saying it was available.

# 9 at23steelers @ 12/21/11 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panicshade
I'm sorry...I don't have any video capture equipment

I guess that whoever put the demo up today did it too early. Usually EA announces their demos ahead of time. I only saw it today when I was going through the marketplace and saw the demo there and was surprised because I had seen absolutely nothing about a demo being released. As I was downloading I came here and saw the post saying it was available.
Mine only said -1 MS points when I tried to DL it!! Do you still have it in your marketplace to play? Maybe you could put it on cloud storage and let me play it!! LOL Seriously though, if one of your friends has a camera, they could do it from their house with your gamertag if the game is still playable.

# 10 Panicshade @ 12/21/11 08:18 PM

Here is a video I found on Youtube (thanks at23steelers for the help)

As you can tell the player was having trouble serving with Total Racquet Control. You have to pull down on the RS and then release. The longer you hold it down means a more powerful serve and the arc in the chart gets taller. After you release the stick from setting the power you press the stick up in the direction you want the serve to go. Your goal is to stop the line in the middle of the arc.

Down - Flat Serve
Down & to the Right - Topspin Serve
Down & to the Left - Slice Serve

# 11 at23steelers @ 12/21/11 08:27 PM
To above poster, on youtube click share, then click embed, copy and paste code to OS after clicking insert link.

Based off the video shown above:

Pros:

- Excellent Graphics
- Stats and scoreboard are well done
- Crowd seems to get into the match
-MacEnroe commentary sounded good

Cons:

- Players weren't very good, so hard to gauge gameplay
- The racket hitting the ball had a weird noise
- Pat Cash just stated the obvious and got annoying after only 3 games of listening to him

# 12 Panicshade @ 12/21/11 08:56 PM
and before anyone says anything...yes, button (Arcade) controls are in so you don't have to use the Total Racquet Control if you don't want to

# 13 bigball12 @ 12/21/11 09:16 PM
Do they have the player challenge system?

# 14 Pappy Knuckles @ 12/21/11 09:22 PM
This video looks pretty good. I'll be keeping my eye on this one because I'd love to have a new tennis game to play. Panicshade, how did you like using the Total Racquet Control?

# 15 Panicshade @ 12/21/11 09:38 PM
@bigball12 - It wasn't in the demo but that doesn't mean it isn't in the full game.

@Pappy Knuckles - I had no problem with the TRC system. It was easy to get used to for me and I haven't used the face buttons for gameplay in the times I have played.

# 16 rangerrick012 @ 12/21/11 10:57 PM
Sorry to see the demo got pulled. I still have it on my HD, unfortunately do not have a capture card.

Here were my impressions. Played one match on the highest difficulty, but the Cliffs' Notes version is that the gameplay falls well short of TS4 as far as realism. More arcadey than sim.

Well the commentary's ok. The gameplay...not as good as TS4 IMO. More arcadey. I just hit a one hand topspin BH with Nadal. Somewhere between VT and TS. Not truly arcadey but not truly sim either. The presentation is good, Cash and Mac are good on commentary.

I guess I should say the only players available are Djoker and Nadal at Wimbledon.

So the good and bad:
Good:
-Commentary adds to the game...I wish this commentary/presentation was in TS4 though.
-The TRC is a good addition, though I still went back to the buttons by reflex. May be willing to give it more of a try though.
-CPU did make UE's, which is something that can be hard to see from the CPU in TS4 (sorry to compare it to TS4, but I've spent hours upon hours with that game and as the most recent great tennis game to come out it's a good comparison). The W/UE count was more realistic.

Bad:
-Slice strokes don't even look like slice strokes
-Movement is floaty
-Players don't show emotion immediately after points, only in cut scenes. Saved a match point with Nadal and he just stood there like it was nothing.
-Gameplay just doesn't seem that good, certainly not as good as TS4.

That's after only 1 game on the hardest difficulty. Granted it's not god awful, but seeing stuff like Nadal hitting a 1HBH and lack of player emotion takes me out of the experience. I'll play a bit more to give further impressions, but I was disappointed overall, and I'm usually an easy sell.

# 17 m1ke_nyc @ 12/21/11 11:11 PM
It looks fun but only thing I really didnt like was it looked like they were sliding at times, foot planting is very important for this sport.

# 18 m1ke_nyc @ 12/21/11 11:30 PM
yea they are moving way too fast, pretty much sliding/gliding. sometimes when they are just out of position to hit the ball the animation speeds up dramatically to compensate. But dont wanna sound like im trying to bash the game, im looking forward to this just would like to see these things addressed.

# 19 rangerrick012 @ 12/22/11 12:38 AM
My 2nd thoughts are a bit less harsh. If you accept that this isn't aiming to be a sim as far as gameplay, then it's a fun game. Hopefully some of the little things are cleaned up for the full game, or when the 'official' demo comes out.

# 20 LambentMaterial @ 12/22/11 04:47 AM
Does this demo support the Playstation Move? I am very curious to see how it'll work. I've been waiting for a tennis game with anything near 1:1 movement...let's hope this is it.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.