Home
NHL 12 News Post

As mentioned on the 22nd, NHL 12 patch 1.04 is available now, please post your impressions here.

For the NHL 12 1.04 patch details, click here.

Game: NHL 12Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 26 - View All
NHL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 at74 @ 01/07/12 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
1. Game is choppy
2. Penalties seem worse to me
1. Recently I have also seen some stuttering on my PS3, definitely post-patch. I always hope that the game does not freeze then, scary moments...

2. In the meantime I'm back to my pre-patch penalty slider settings. Honestly, on average I don't see any change.

# 122 MizzouRah @ 01/07/12 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by at74
1. Recently I have also seen some stuttering on my PS3, definitely post-patch. I always hope that the game does not freeze then, scary moments...

2. In the meantime I'm back to my pre-patch penalty slider settings. Honestly, on average I don't see any change.
I'm on the x360 and maybe it's my slider settings as I have them set for a fast game of hockey, but it definitely studdered at times and overall, just didn't play smooth like it did pre-patch.

Going back to pre-patch NHL 12 feels much better, so I'll just play without it. I even had more penalties in my first game after deleting the patch than I did playing with the patch... go figure.

# 123 gopher_guy @ 01/07/12 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyo301985
well, so please somebody help me
You are screwed, need to be connected to the internet to download a patch.

# 124 mkharsh33 @ 01/07/12 02:30 PM
question to you guys who ARE seeing more penalties:

what is your SPEED setting at??

I have mine set a bit faster as I HATED seeing guys skate like they were in cement...

I'm wondering if the SLOWER speeds are creating more penalties because of the slower pace? I don't know...just spitballing this, but it seems to make a bit more sense to me (since I'm not seeing hardly any change). thanks...

# 125 toyo301985 @ 01/07/12 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
You are screwed, need to be connected to the internet to download a patch.
really?? I'm screwed then... thanx gopher_guy. I'm still gonna wait for a miracle or somthing like that

# 126 jake19ny @ 01/07/12 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33

I have mine set a bit faster as I HATED seeing guys skate like they were in cement...

I'm wondering if the SLOWER speeds are creating more penalties because of the slower pace? I don't know...just spitballing this, but it seems to make a bit more sense to me (since I'm not seeing hardly any change). thanks...
Not a speed thing.... I play with low speed and higher accel and cannot get any penalties with the update....now my game freezes more than ever and if I uninstall the update as I have done in the past, and had good penalties......now I dont. I swear this was more like a "Virus" than a "Patch" for me

# 127 gsize19 @ 01/07/12 04:30 PM
mkharsh... I am getting 5-12 PP chances per game (combined both teams) you asked about speed settings, I will just post ALL my settings

For Be A GM

Rules
Skill Level- All-star
Game Style- Current (due to modified from pre-sets)
Period Length- 10
Offsides- Delayed
Icing- On
Injuries- On
Penalties- 4 Maxed
Post Whistle- Authentic
Penalty Time Scaling- 0
Fighting- 2 Maxed
Assistant Coach Edits- Minimal
CPU Trades- On
Waivers- On
Trade Offer Notifications- On
Waiver Notifications- On

Gameplay
(Basic)
Skill Level- All-Star
Game Style- Current
(General)
Tuner Set- V1.00
CPU Aid- Hardcore
Broken Stick- 3
Game Speed- 2
Attribute Effects- 6 Maxed
Fatigue Effect- (Human) 6 (CPU) 6
Fatigue Recovery- (Human) 2 (CPU) 2 ***All 4 lines see realistic ice time***
Injury Occurence- (Human) 3 (Cpu) 3
Puck Control- (Human) 1 (CPU) 1
Player Acceleration- (Human) 2 (CPU) 1 Recently edited because CPU is always faster it seems
(AI)
Created Plays- On
AI Learning- 6
CPU Difficulty Adjustment- 5
CPU Strategy Adjustment- 5
Be A Pro Adjustment- (shaded but 5)
Human Strategy Adjustment- 0
CPU F/O Difficulty- 4
Fight Difficulty- 4
CPU Penalties- 6
CPU Teammate Penalties- 6
(Passing)
Pass Assist- 3
Manual Passing- On
Pass Speed-2
Saucer Pass Speed- 2
Pass Accuracy- (Human) 2 (CPU) 2
Pass Reception Ease- (Human) 0 (CPU) 0
Pass Intercetions- (Human) 2 (CPU) 2
(Shooting)
Shot Accuracy- (Human) 2 (CPU) 2
Shot Power- (Human) 3 (CPU) 2
Slap Shot Accuracy- (Human) 2 (CPU) 2
Slap Shot Power- (Human) 3 (CPU) 2
One Timer Accuracy- (Human) 3 (CPU) 3
(Checking)
Hitting Assistance- 0
Aggression- (Human) 5 (CPU) 5
Hitting Power- (Human) 3 (CPU) 3
Stick Lift Effectiveness- (Human) 5 (CPU) 4
Poke Effectiveness- (Human) 5 (CPU) 4
(Goalies)
Goalie Passing- 0
Goalie Cover Puck- 6
Goalie Screen Effect- (Human) 4 (CPU) 4
Goalie Reaction Speed- (Human) 2 (CPU) 2

# 128 mkharsh33 @ 01/07/12 04:46 PM
shoots that theory to pieces... who knows, but the randomness of this is truly baffling.

# 129 gopher_guy @ 01/07/12 05:06 PM
Quote:
shoots that theory to pieces... who knows, but the randomness of this is truly baffling.
It seems like the penalties come in waves. I played 5-6 games post patch and saw around 6-8 combined penalties in each game, but in the last 3-4 games I have played there have only been 3 or so combined penalties per game

# 130 porky14 @ 01/07/12 05:15 PM
Pro = higher game speed

All-Star = lower game speed

For penalty reasons

# 131 gsize19 @ 01/07/12 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by porky14
Pro = higher game speed

All-Star = lower game speed

For penalty reasons
I agree with this... Pro I was just scoring to much (and didn't draw many penalties at a slower speed), even though shot acc and power was at 0 so I changed to all star and the games are more in line with NHL scores and the PP chances are pretty consistent...

# 132 jake19ny @ 01/07/12 07:02 PM
You know what drives me crazier than the random fact that some people are getting penalties and some are not?.....the fact that its clearly a problem and we should not have to beat our heads against the wall, coming up with formulas and slider combos that might work.....reaching out to each other across the globe to cross reference ideas that may solve the problem......You would think we are trying to come up with alternate energy and not fix what should be basic part of any hockey game. Going back to the Sega Genesis penalties were never an issue. EA must know its a problem by now and the fact that they have not fixed it is pissing me off......****ING FIX IT ALREADY YOU JACKWEEDS!

# 133 canucksss @ 01/07/12 08:35 PM
Quote:

i have 5 like in your slider

# 134 mkharsh33 @ 01/07/12 08:59 PM
I'm going to give gsize19's settings a go... After reading his thread I really like what I saw there. Plus, I respect Millenium's perspective and he seems intrigued by them as well.

Although I've enjoyed playing on Pro, and I feel I had a good set of sliders this year, I'm going to abandon them and see if this penalty issue might get resolved.

# 135 gsize19 @ 01/08/12 12:46 AM
Quote:
I'm going to give gsize19's settings a go... After reading his thread I really like what I saw there. Plus, I respect Millenium's perspective and he seems intrigued by them as well.

Although I've enjoyed playing on Pro, and I feel I had a good set of sliders this year, I'm going to abandon them and see if this penalty issue might get resolved.
I hope you enjoy Marsh and hopes it clears up for you to draw a few more... The last 4 games, I have ended up with a PP in the first two minutes of the game, like clockwork, two chargings off the face off, and two high stickings... In my last 4, I have had 17 PP ops and 13 PK's... Now after 29 games, I have had 117 PP's and on the PK 89 times... I average 3.34 Goals per game, and have a GAA of 2.37... I have a 17-7-5 record...

One thing I forgot to mention also, though don't know how much it matters, but it does for me to keep some goals for down, I use automatic shot aim, that way some of the money goals, aren't so money because shot aim is done at random... I only do this for BeA GM, but I have a lot more fun with it because the games are more competitive... I have tried my sliders on Manual shot aim, prior to the patch (though I would assume the same holds true now) and was averaging 4.65 Goals Per Game... Just not realistic scoring totals, especially when I was only giving up 2.10 Goals per game...

If they don't work Marsh, I apologize, I swear to God, it has made a huge PP difference for me... I will start posting some screen shots of end of the game box scores if needed...

# 136 gsize19 @ 01/08/12 12:55 AM
Oh and Marsh, I respect you guys opinions on this game as well... I have tried a bunch of different slider combinations this year, and tried some suggestions by a few to create more opportunities (prior to the patch) and all I got was completely out of whack attack time for me, and shot totals that looked like 25-30 for me and 7-12 against. Just wasn't fun...

I experimented with sliders post patch, and got to my second combination and it worked (the one I posted)... My play style, well a run and gun type DRW style game, with some set-up on line mis-matches... I have noticed with my games, my 1st and 2nd lines draw the most penalties...

I just try to get realistic type results, and realize that my style may not suit everyone, but and confident for those that play the style I do, the results will be pleasantly accepted...

Thank you and Millenium for trying, two very respected guys on these forums!!! I am just trying to help those who are are looking for some simulation style results... Please let me know your thoughts, and if you make any tweaks that seem to work, please forward them on... I am afraid to touch them now that I one tweak here or there they screw things up... hahaha

# 137 Vikes1 @ 01/08/12 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
It seems like the penalties come in waves. I played 5-6 games post patch and saw around 6-8 combined penalties in each game, but in the last 3-4 games I have played there have only been 3 or so combined penalties per game
Yep Gopher, the penalties "coming in waves" is a good way to describe what I'm seeing too.

I use 10 minute periods [penalty slider maxed] ...and some games I see only 2-3 calls total. While in others, it's 6-7.

# 138 Vikes1 @ 01/08/12 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogie Vachon
I agree,and that goes double for the passing reception ease too.
Agree Rogie.

Kinda sad too, because imo with '11'...with the reception slider at 0, it was just about right.

# 139 speels @ 01/08/12 12:04 PM
I am just going to throw this out there, but people are comparing the PP and PK to real NHL stats. But, no one has even mentioned that fact that most of us play with either 10 or 7 minute periods. This means that we are really only playing half a game, therefore stats should be about half what they are in a real NHL game. So when people are getting 3 penalties per game, then IRL that would average to 6 which is about right. Playing 10 minutes of NHL12 is not likeplaying 20 minutes of real hockey, its like playing 10 minutes. If the NHL periods there stats would probably be half of what they are. For example lets say I play 10 minute periods and get 4 penalties in a game, which I don't score on, and my penalty scaling is maxed. By the end of the game I have played 34 minutes of hockey, how are people expecting to have there player scoring 100 points in a season when they are only playing half as much hockey as real life players.

On that note, I have never ever worried about stats in games I play. Now simulated games should be more like real life because they are simulated for 20 minute periods. This is why I always find it hard to lead the league in scoring because all the CPU teams play their games over a simulated 20 minute periods so they get double the time to score. So I think if you play 20 minute periods and have these same results with 0-1 penalties a game only then do you really have the right to complain that they are broken.

I enjoy the hell out of this game because I play it for what it is, a game. I am happy with my stats as I do have people that break 100 points, but I also understand this game has issues so don't think I am oblivious to these.

I also think that the biggest issue holding this game back is the lack of hockey knowledge by the AI. I timed TOP one game while my brother played and the CPU actually controlled the puck for twice as much time as I did, but the TOA I was 5:13 to their 2:14. This is because instead of the CPU cycling the puck, which would actually draw more penalties, they pass the puck 100+ times between their players in their own zone and the neutral zone. So as you can see, if they were to play a puck possession game in my zone, those TOA stats would look better. My biggest fear is that the NHL dev team can't fix this with either a tuner or a patch because it is coded in and can't be changed until they re-write the code.

Sorry for my rant, just got out of bed and have a huge freakin headache!!

# 140 gsize19 @ 01/08/12 12:47 PM
Great argument speels, and that has also been in consideration, but when you have 30-35 shots per game per team at 10 minutes, then that would equate to 60-70 shots per game per team, so that leaves me with the fact that when playing with the 10 minute accelerated clock, all stats are pretty spot on except the penalties, or was... I have found a slider combination that has worked...

I posted about 6 weeks ago playing a game at 0 speed, with the most respected slider adjustments playing a 20 minute game, (thinking it was between Novmebr 25-29 I was on my Thanksgiving break) and I had 89 shots on goal, the computer had 77 shots on goal, and I was 0 for 0 on the power play, while the computer was 1 for 2... Didn't try a second game, I had seen enough from the first game, shots on goal even at 0 speed and the players accel and anything that mattered speed wise at 0.

I only did this because of the same thing you just said, I thought that that was where the issue was at, which wasn't the case...

I do take the game for what it is like you, a game, but with that said, two years ago, the penalty issue after 3 patches was perfect, last year, no issues with penalties and random. This year, for some reason, that AI for penalties was screwed up, probably by adding something like Legends, a little used feature but it had to take space from somewhere, so the only thing I could figure out was the authentic AI.

I enjoy sports games with a simulation aspect, and the last two years for the offline mode had that, this year, did not... I even watched a game once, with 10 minute periods granted, to see if the CPU against CPU match-up would make a difference and I could see where my issue was, and it was brutal... A little I took from that, in the 2nd period of that game, there was one goaled scored, but had there not been a goal scored, the period would have been end to end with only the opening period faceoff. Yes, there was TWO faceoffs in the 2nd period of that game, hardly authentic hockey... This was pre the last patch... To me, that is when I got vocal about the ridiculous game they gave to us this year, it was like playing the NHL Arcade 3 on 3 version minus the "little goalie" or "rocket skates"... LOL

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.