Home
NFL Blitz News Post

NFL Blitz is available now, as a digital download on PSN (PS3) and will be available tomorrow morning on the Marketplace (360) for $14.99.

Please post your impressions here.

Game: NFL BlitzReader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
NFL Blitz Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Blzer @ 01/09/12 01:04 PM
Heh, I was actually hoping for a SlugFest remake with Tim and Jimmy doing commentary again. But that wasn't an original arcade/Nintendo 90's game.

# 122 jyoung @ 01/09/12 01:20 PM
The best part of Slugfest was being able to throw punches and fight.

Unfortunately, I doubt that would fly in today's politically correct culture.

# 123 JayBee74 @ 01/09/12 05:13 PM
How do you audible online?

# 124 Earl1963 @ 01/09/12 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
How do you audible online?
Same as offline.

# 125 jyoung @ 01/10/12 12:42 AM
X button brings up the audible screen at the line of scrimmage.

I think I finally found a "money play" in this game.

"QB Post" (upper-left corner on page 2)

I just played a test game with a friend where this was the only play either of us called.

Even with Revis and Polamalu as my DBs, the WRs get open every time on that first step move to the outside.

Both of us tried every defense in the game to counter it, and never could stop the WRs from getting that first step of separation.

If anyone finds out how to stop QB Post, let me know.

# 126 Blzer @ 01/12/12 05:23 AM
I just made it into the Hall of Fame with my Blitz team online. How come I can't get some of these trophies to unlock?

Big Fish, Small Pond - Get your Blitz Team into the Local Elite Battle Board
Movin' On Up - Get your Blitz Team into the Regional Elite Battle Board
Hail to the King, Baby! - Beat the National Elite Battle Board using a Blitz Team

I must've done the first two a while ago, and I did the third one tonight. I don't get why these haven't yet unlocked.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see this wasn't for the Head to Head thingy. Well then I guess I need to find out how to unlock those.

# 127 Fiddy @ 01/12/12 09:15 AM
i think you have to use your created team to unlock those.

# 128 Blzer @ 01/12/12 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
i think you have to use your created team to unlock those.
Yeah, gotcha. I still made the Hall of Fame though, and one of the head-to-head trophies still isn't unlocked. Maybe it will be when I win my next game, or if I retire my team.

# 129 Blzer @ 01/12/12 07:41 PM
Alright, I really have no idea what it means to retire my team. They ask me this every time I win a game now. I don't have a custom team or anything, I'm just playing head-to-head. What would happen if I do? What would happen if I don't?

# 130 jyoung @ 01/12/12 07:44 PM
When you retire, your name is entered into the Blitz "Hall of Fame" and your ranking resets.

Think of it as "prestiging" ala Call of Duty.

# 131 jyoung @ 01/12/12 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I just made it into the Hall of Fame with my Blitz team online. How come I can't get some of these trophies to unlock?

Big Fish, Small Pond - Get your Blitz Team into the Local Elite Battle Board
Movin' On Up - Get your Blitz Team into the Regional Elite Battle Board
Hail to the King, Baby! - Beat the National Elite Battle Board using a Blitz Team

I must've done the first two a while ago, and I did the third one tonight. I don't get why these haven't yet unlocked.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see this wasn't for the Head to Head thingy. Well then I guess I need to find out how to unlock those.
"Blitz Team" means the 2 vs. 2 Blitz Battles mode.

You need a buddy to play online co-op with to unlock those.

# 132 Blzer @ 01/12/12 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
When you retire, your name is entered into the Blitz "Hall of Fame" and your ranking resets.

Think of it as "prestiging" ala Call of Duty.
Ah, makes sense. I just didn't want to like retire "too early" if that makes sense. Think of it like a baseball player retiring with 2,990 hits. I'll retire after the next game.

By the way, I just encountered a first. After scoring a touchdown, I opted for the free point field goal. All of the sudden, I got a pop up in red text that said "Kick is not good." Wow, imagine that you're about to tie a game as time expires with that message!

# 133 jyoung @ 01/12/12 07:56 PM
Yeah missed extra points are rare, but they do happen.

Just more incentive to go for two.

# 134 TDiddy8701 @ 01/13/12 01:48 AM
two things

#1 anyone find a list online with team-specific plays???? (i guess each team has one) I really like the Lions one, but some are horrible, so if I play online, I'd like to know what team-specific play each team has

#2 - what is recovery?Is that related to turbo recovery or recovery if knocked down? If choosing between two players with even ratings, but one has higher skill and one has higher recovery, is skill more important?

# 135 JayBee74 @ 01/13/12 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
"Blitz Team" means the 2 vs. 2 Blitz Battles mode.

You need a buddy to play online co-op with to unlock those.
Can you play 2 on 2 with a friend in the room?

# 136 jyoung @ 01/13/12 01:08 PM
Yep, you can use local guests in any of the 2 vs. 2 modes.

# 137 babythug23 @ 01/13/12 07:42 PM
Why don't PS3 put demo's out demo's for arcade games? Anyway i hook my 360 up for the 1st time in months to download the demo. I had a blast with it! So i bought it for the ps3.

# 138 Blzer @ 01/14/12 03:13 AM
I'm now ranked 49 in the PS3 world.

Seriously, if it weren't for a couple of frustrating losses, I would be doing much better. I feel I've earned all of my wins, and about four of my losses have been a result of poor online lag (not hitting or kicking at the right time, etc.).

Thankfully I'm not one of those cheesers like the #1 player, who has just found about every loophole in this game (I've played him already).

# 139 JayBee74 @ 01/14/12 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I'm now ranked 49 in the PS3 world.

Seriously, if it weren't for a couple of frustrating losses, I would be doing much better. I feel I've earned all of my wins, and about four of my losses have been a result of poor online lag (not hitting or kicking at the right time, etc.).

Thankfully I'm not one of those cheesers like the #1 player, who has just found about every loophole in this game (I've played him already).
What's your main technique on defense? I'm horrendous but have managed to win 5 in a row by not going for a knockdown at the line. I just play a DB back and mostly use the Y button (360) which is the combo INT/DIVE button.

I just made the Louisiana Elite board which is a major accomplishment for me.

# 140 Blzer @ 01/14/12 05:27 PM
Defense is kind of peculiar, because I play against the other guy (literally), which means I can't start doing a certain set of plays until I figure out how it is they play. I start off with a couple of Safe Cover or Near Zone plays just to see what the other guy has to offer. Does he pass quickly? Does he drop back far? Does he read the assigned blitz? Does he run away from my user-controlled blitzer? Does he use passing icons? Does he lead me with a scramble, then throw afterward? Does he just call the same damn play over and over (unfortunately, this is the scariest kind of cheesing player)? The list goes on.

I normally play as the DB, and I will try and hit the receiver that I believe can go the furthest downfield on me (either by knowing the play or assuming it's the wide-out), then look for who he might pass to afterward. If I'm blitzing, I normally try and hit a passer along the way while running.

One of my favorite plays against a trips formation is to call a normal 1-Man Blitz (so their motion man looks like he's covered), and I'll take my safety to the left side of the line, rushing to let them know I'm going to come after their QB. The only thing is that I'm not actually going to blitz, I'm just going to time it so that I will run back to their RB when they snap it. This is what ends up happening:

- They will assume I was going to blitz from the left, so they will drop back to the right. They will play no assumption that I was blitzing my other man, and he fairly often puts on the right pressure to come in for a sack, or at least a sporadic throw.

- If they eventually pick up that I had an assigned blitz on the right side, they will see a quick opportunity to throw to their RB on whatever play it is. Little do they know, as the DB who was fake-blitzing, I'm picking him up and am ready to take him out if they throw to him.

- If they put their man in motion and see that I was blitzing, that's okay. I'll go back to my original plan of blitzing with my DB and just take out their motion man RB, and hope for the sack on one side or the other. It doesn't always pan out, but sometimes they'll end up being in such a hurry that they'll try and throw to their fallen man behind the LOS, which might cause a fumble (not a rule in the NFL exactly lol).

- The one thing I have to pay attention to is if they are calling Hurricane, because then their RB will run behind their line and back around to where I originally was with my DB. Either way, they probably aren't going to get more than ten yards on that if they catch it anyway.

This is only if I play-call this correctly with what they call. The other safe bet is to just call a reversed 1-Man Blitz and control your DB against the motioned man; that way, it will prevent their QB from scrambling on the left otherwise-open field.

Otherwise, I've found Near Zone to actually be pretty good against a Hail Mary (weird, right?) and to eat up the run yards they get on a split backs or special play run whenever possible. It's better than relinquishing a receiver to go after a backfield runner. Medium Zone is good against a player who gets passes off quickly, and Deep Zone is good if you're okay with, as I said earlier, allowing them to force short/medium yardage. It is not good against deep throws, though (if they get the pass off, they have a good chance of completing it still). I see potential for a play like Zone Blitz, because I really like the play itself... the problem is that the only other play that looks like it is Suicide Blitz, so that means they'll always know you're blitzing men. I wish there was a third play that lined up just like those, but all defenders dropped back (that, or a play where instead one of your linemen is a DB).

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any sort of way to defend against a long bomb if my defender is in front of the receiver catching it (that is, more downfield than the receiver). If I don't switch controllers, he'll catch it and be tackled thereafter. If I switch controllers to try and hit him, I always miss. The other teams seem to be able to do it against me all of the time, so I don't really get what's going on there.

Anyway, as I said, the best start is always to hit a receiver to start off whenever you can. I don't call that cheesing, I call that Blitz. You don't always time it correctly anyway (since the same button is used to call an audible), so with a lag-fest of a game it comes at a high cost.

The other key is to always attempt to get on fire whenever you can. If you sack a quarterback, do something like a 2-man blitz, and maybe even take your DB and be a third blitzer if you really want to play risky. But being on fire is always worth it.

Sorry for the long write-up, but I figured you'd like it.

By the way, after my previous post about my world standing, I lost the following game and got dropped down to 68. I haven't played since then, so I'm sure I'm below 100 again.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.