Home
Tiger 13 News Post

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – January 10, 2012 – Electronic Arts Inc., (NASDAQ: EA) announced today that the world’s number one selling golf video game franchise will return with an array of exciting new features, including Kinect for Xbox 360 integration, an opportunity to experience Tiger’s golf legacy, online and social features, as well as a Collector’s Edition providing even greater access to the Masters Tournament and Augusta National Golf Club. Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13® and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 13: The Masters Collector’s Edition, marks the 22nd season for the EA SPORTS golf simulation video game franchise and will go on sale in North America on March 27 and worldwide on March 30, and be made available on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

With the most comprehensive swing mechanic revamp in over a decade, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 will provide fans unprecedented control over their swing tempo, ball position and stance, allowing players to replicate countless swing combinations used by real-world PGA TOUR players. Coupled with complete integration with Kinect for Xbox 360, including voice-enabled controls, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 lessens the gap between the real world and virtual golf course experience.

“Our fans asked us to deliver a new level of fidelity and authenticity to Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 and our team delivered with the ability to literally choose millions of shot combinations through our new swing mechanic,” said Mike Taramykin, vice president and general manager of Tiger Woods PGA TOUR. “Fans will now be able to experience unparalleled control on the virtual golf course.”

“As the first of the EA SPORTS titles to feature Kinect for Xbox 360 integration in 2012, the controller-free and voice-enabled Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 experience will bring a whole new level of fun to fans worldwide,” said George Peckham, general manager, Global Publishing Group at Microsoft. “We look forward to continuing to work closely with EA SPORTS to deliver the most immersive and engaging sports gaming experiences, only on Xbox 360.”

In addition to Kinect for Xbox 360 integration, EA SPORTS is providing fans with a fully immersive golf experience through all-new features such as Online Country Clubs, the chance to relive Tiger Woods’ memorable golf career accomplishments and the return of the pre-eminent tournament in all of golf – the Masters.

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 and The Masters Collector’s Edition include a number of features and enhancements that will make golfers feel as if they’re on the course, such as:

· Total Swing Control – Taking its most significant leap forward in swing mechanics in over a decade, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 revolutionizes the virtual golf swing. Golfers will take full control over their swing with all-new tempo, swing plane and shot power controls along with an adjustable shot setup, allowing players to address the ball in a number of ways to create limitless shot types with just one club.

· 22 Licensed Professional Golfers – Fans can take to the course with any one of 22 PGA TOUR golfers in Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13, including Tiger Woods, 2011 US Open Champion Rory McIlroy, 2010 PGA TOUR Rookie of the Year Rickie Fowler and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 US cover art finalist Bubba Watson. More details about the new golfers in Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 will be revealed during the week of January 16.

· Kinect for Xbox 360 Integration –Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 will be the first-ever Kinect for Xbox 360 sports simulation title, tracking full body movements to create the most advanced and authentic swing to date on the virtual golf course. Controller-free and voice-enabled controls provides for a unique, never-before-seen sports gaming experience. More details will be revealed about Kinect for Xbox 360 integration the week of January 24.

· PlayStation Move Integration – Improve your game with the true-to-life golf swing created for the PlayStation Move. Fans will once again be able to experience the authentic golf swing created by the PlayStation Move, allowing golfers to emulate their swing style as they drive the ball down the fairway or sink a 30-foot putt.

· Experience Tiger’s Golf Legacy – Relive first-hand Tiger Woods’ most memorable golf accomplishments as he rises from a child prodigy to golfing legend. More details will be revealed about the Tiger golf legacy feature the week of February 6.

· Online Country Clubs –In Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13, gamers will be able to invite friends to join their own exclusive country club and team up to gain quicker access to downloadable golf courses or compete against other club members for the coveted Club Championship. More details will be revealed about Online Country Clubs the week of February 20.

· The Masters Collector’s Edition Exclusives –The Collector’s Edition provides fans with the ultimate Masters experience. Fans that purchase the Collector’s Edition will receive all of the features in the standard edition game, as well as exclusive access to Augusta National Golf Club’s Tournament practice facility, Augusta National’s famous Par 3 Course, an authentic Green Jacket Presentation and a chance to explore the hallowed grounds like never before.

The Collector’s Edition also comes packed with five additional championship courses in addition to the standard edition, allowing players to experience 21 of the world’s greatest golfing destinations.

More details will be revealed about features exclusive to The Masters Collector’s Edition during the week of March 6.

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 is developed in Orlando, Fla., by EA Tiburon and will retail for $59.99 and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13: The Masters Collector’s Edition will be available for $69.99 on Xbox 360® and PlayStation®3.

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13: The Masters Collector’s Edition will be participating in the EA SPORTS™ Season Ticket program. Season Ticket subscribers will be provided full digital access to Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13: The Masters Collector’s Edition three days before retail launch.

Over the past two decades, EA SPORTS has introduced a series of immersive and authentic golf experiences across a variety of game platforms that has helped expand the popularity of the sport amongst fans. The EA SPORTS golf product portfolio includes the award-winning Tiger Woods PGA TOUR franchise, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Online and EA SPORTS PGA TOUR® Golf Challenge for Facebook.

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 12: The Masters was recently chosen by Kotaku as the 2011 Sports Game of the Year and was a finalist for the Spike VGA’s Best Individual Sports Game category

Game: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 10 - View All
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 PhantomPain @ 01/13/12 08:36 PM
The changes look very promising. It really sounds like Links 2004, I just hope it "feels" the same way but better!

Also, I'm surprised this isn't on VITA. I think it would be great to have integration with your career to be able to play on the tv or vita.

# 42 kerosene31 @ 01/23/12 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
What is still not encouraging is that there is a 5 page thread on the EA board that asks if the carnival pins are fixed and not one dev has bothered to post on there to say it has been fixed. If they did fix it then you figure one of them would have gone on there and stated as such.
This is going to be a make or break for me this year. It just ruined the offline and online game for me.

# 43 DivotMaker @ 01/23/12 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
And I don't intend to, not until EA decides to make it as sim and as customizable as the PC version was (and still is).
I doubt you will ever see a console Golf game offer the same features as a PC version, but TW 13 is getting closer to it, but still likely has a ways to go to get to the options available for the PC version....

# 44 orthostud23 @ 01/24/12 03:50 PM
I posted this on the TW forums but no answer as of yet. Hoping Divot has some inside scoop.

Here are a few questions that I hope can be answered.

1) Ball lie. For instance I am lying in what appears to be deep rough and the lie indicator shows my ball sitting down in it? On the HARDEST difficulty will it still show a percentage of how far the ball will go and as my stats improve will that percentage start to get smaller. i.e from 40-60% to say 45% once stats are good. I am HOPING that the answer is there are NO percentages at all and that you have to guesstimate how it will come out of that lie.

2) Can I move around in the tee box?? When I play gof IRL I never tee up in one specific spot especially when I want to work the ball off the tee. Please tell me this has been addressed.

3) If I am in a career mode and my character is driving the ball on avg 305-310 off the tee is there a way to now NOT have my stats improve? Therefore forcing me to have no choice but to keep getting longer and longer off the tee.

Thanks for any answers you guys can provide. I have not purchased a TW golf game in about 4 years now and I'm hoping this is the year I can return to console golf.

# 45 rolltide1017 @ 01/24/12 07:55 PM
So, now that EA has unveiled Kinect support, can you guys talk about it now? I'd just like to know your impressions if you were able to try it out. Does it seem like it is going to work or does it feel gimmicky? I'm just talking about the swing, don't care aout menu navigation or voice integration.

My concern from the videos is the guy made a very hard and fast putting stroke for what was only about a 8-10 foot putt. His swing in real life would have sent the ball flying off the green, unless it was the slowest green in the world. I wasn't going to give this game a shot this year unless Kinect works as advertised.

# 46 DivotMaker @ 01/25/12 05:11 PM
As EA has stated numerous times and the videos actually have an icon called "WIP - Work in Progress", the videos are NOT final code and they are working to fine tune all aspects of the game.....now if you see something like this in the final version, the be my guest and let them have it with both barrels....

# 47 DivotMaker @ 01/25/12 07:03 PM
Quote:
I thought chipping was fixed in this game. I watched a Youtube video of Dustin Johnson playing a round and he had 30 yds to the pin and the user selected a sandwedge which has a max of 105 yds. Johnson took a full swing and it went about 30 yards. If I took a full swing with my sand wedge from that close to the pin I would end up at the next teebox. I thought your joystick was mapped to the onscreen club but I guess not.

In retrospect, I think my response above was a bit harsh, my apologies to you. I have not seen the issue you describe, but have no doubt it likely happened. In that case, thanks for bringing this to the Devs attention and hopefully they see it and resolve it before the game is released.

# 48 orthostud23 @ 01/25/12 07:38 PM
Divot do you have any ideas on the questions I asked about 4-5 posts above this one?

# 49 DivotMaker @ 01/25/12 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthostud23
Divot do you have any ideas on the questions I asked about 4-5 posts above this one?
I have not played the game yet and unfortunately don't have an answer for you. If you would like an answer, I recommend posting on the EA Tiger forums and ask if one of the TW Community Day attendees or one of the Devs to respond. Sorry I can't be more help....

# 50 DivotMaker @ 01/26/12 08:54 AM
It is NOT a full swing (60% maybe) and the tempo was very slow. We also do not know if this was a Kinect or controller swing and we also do not know what the final shot setup was either. I agree with you to some extent, but they are also working to get Kinect swings with no lag, a full 1:1 at this stage of the game development....

# 51 Zalf @ 01/26/12 12:51 PM
I think there is a little over expectation of the current state of the technology. The fact that you actually select a type of shot in the game instead of just stepping up and hitting a chip shot tells you a lot. The game sets min/max parameters based on what you tell the game you are trying to do. If you select chip shot and step up and physically take a full swing the game is only going to pick up the movement that falls into the min/max parameters of what you told the game you were trying to do.

We have already seen videos of 300 yard drives on the highest difficulty with swings that weren't anywhere close to 300 yard swings. It is the first go at the technology in a game that has always liened torwards casual. So even on the hardest difficulty there is a groove with hards stops. You have to intentionally try to get to the extremes of that groove and you can't get past the hard stops. This will be most evident in the short game because of how tempo/feel sensitive that part of the real life game is.

Hopefully one day the game and tech will come to the point where there is a level where the only shot assist/groove we get is "just swing". If you think they are even trying to do that with TW13 then you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.

# 52 DivotMaker @ 01/26/12 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhslancers
EA can get a good college or even high school player and mo cap him taking short putts chips and pitch shots I would imagine. That would be more life like to me than what have been seeing all these years.
No need to...they Mo-Capped several Pros this year....

# 53 OnlookerDelay @ 01/27/12 01:01 AM
Quote:
I thought chipping was fixed in this game. I watched a Youtube video of Dustin Johnson playing a round and he had 30 yds to the pin and the user selected a sandwedge which has a max of 105 yds. Johnson took a full swing and it went about 30 yards. If I took a full swing with my sand wedge from that close to the pin I would end up at the next teebox. I thought your joystick was mapped to the onscreen club but I guess not.
I watched this video and paid particular attention to this shot. I'n not sure what kind of shot you would call what whoever was controlling the golfer setup here. The ball was moved back in the stance considerable toward the right heel and then the "strike" meter cursor was placed toward the top third of the ball. The player stopped short of 100% full swing. I would estimate it to be maybe 70 to 80%.

From the way the shot was setup, I would have thought it would produce a hot, low trajectory punch shot that would travel 60 to 70 yards. I wasn't so surprised at its trajectory, but what shocked me was how quick it came to a stop. It just didn't compute, but then again, my brain doesn't quite know what to make of the strike meter. I know in real life, I'm not thinking about what spot on the ball I'm targeting. Unless I'm in a bunker, I'm just thinking about hitting the ball with the same spot on the club, just prior to making contact with the ground. OTOH, if I'm in the bunker, I'm going to hit behind the ball if I'm in a greenside bunker or a little higher on it if its a fairway bunker.

If you read Fred Parrow's, Gamechanger blog on the official page, and then his follow up to questions about his blog in the official forum, he said that he was able to create a chipshot that looked and behaved like a chipshot in his play testing. A chipshot wouldn't have worked in the scenario we're discussing here, but one would think that if a believable chip shot can be created, it would stand to reason that a pitch shot should as also be possible. This looked more like a punch with bodacious backspin on it.

# 54 fishepa @ 01/27/12 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
I watched this video and paid particular attention to this shot. I'n not sure what kind of shot you would call what whoever was controlling the golfer setup here. The ball was moved back in the stance considerable toward the right heel and then the "strike" meter cursor was placed toward the top third of the ball. The player stopped short of 100% full swing. I would estimate it to be maybe 70 to 80%.

From the way the shot was setup, I would have thought it would produce a hot, low trajectory punch shot that would travel 60 to 70 yards. I wasn't so surprised at its trajectory, but what shocked me was how quick it came to a stop. It just didn't compute, but then again, my brain doesn't quite know what to make of the strike meter. I know in real life, I'm not thinking about what spot on the ball I'm targeting. Unless I'm in a bunker, I'm just thinking about hitting the ball with the same spot on the club, just prior to making contact with the ground. OTOH, if I'm in the bunker, I'm going to hit behind the ball if I'm in a greenside bunker or a little higher on it if its a fairway bunker.

If you read Fred Parrow's, Gamechanger blog on the official page, and then his follow up to questions about his blog in the official forum, he said that he was able to create a chipshot that looked and behaved like a chipshot in his play testing. A chipshot wouldn't have worked in the scenario we're discussing here, but one would think that if a believable chip shot can be created, it would stand to reason that a pitch shot should as also be possible. This looked more like a punch with bodacious backspin on it.
I think what you said is part of the problem. To hit a shot in real golf with backspin you hit down on the ball and strike it first (with every shot really, except bunker shots and some flop shots).

EA seems to think that the placing the hit marker below the ball it will result in more backspin? If that is the way the game is developed that is totally backward.

# 55 OnlookerDelay @ 01/27/12 12:09 PM
I looked at the DJ 30 yard approach a little more and I overstated the degree to which it came to a stop. It did roll a bit more like a lower lofted club pitch. The problem is that it looks like the player was trying to setup what would be more of a skulled punch shot, which would not have stopped rolling nearly as quickly as it did in the video. I hope they're still tuning things like this.

One other thing to point out here about this video. I never saw the gamer put post shot spin on the ball, but I did notice the cursor was placed and left on the ball in the strike meter, prior to the shot we're discussing. I'm not sure how the difficulty settings are going to work this year; perhaps once you advance to Pro now, the post shot spin is no longer available. I don't play Amateur or Pro, but I think currently that post shot spin is still available to the gamer in Pro.

The point I'm trying to make here is this, if this demo had been played in Tournament difficulty as opposed to the Pro or Amateur that it obviously was, would the result of that swing and setup be as forgiving as what we saw? I think not...

# 56 Zalf @ 01/27/12 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishepa
I think what you said is part of the problem. To hit a shot in real golf with backspin you hit down on the ball and strike it first (with every shot really, except bunker shots and some flop shots).

EA seems to think that the placing the hit marker below the ball it will result in more backspin? If that is the way the game is developed that is totally backward.
Many seem to be looking at the hit marker and stance editer(pretty much all of the Total Control) as something beyond a new face and name for the old loft/deloft fade/draw system. I haven't seen any gameplay videos that indicate it is anything more than a step forward presentation wise of the same old system. A definite step forward and better representation of real life setup, but there appears to still be a lot of room between better and spot on.

I can't help but think this is another area where people are setting themselves up for disappointment due to high expectations. EA isn't helping in this area with the hype machine but they are trying to sell THIS game and not the series or the EA brand.

For me, hopefully we will see $60(+DLC) worth of step forward from '12. Anything beyond that is money in the pocket.

# 57 Zalf @ 01/27/12 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
Guess I'm not understanding, in golf you get under and scoop the ball and it creates backspin. Placing the hit marker at the bottom of the ball is therefore correct.
Backspin is created by how you strike the ball, not where. Striking down on the ball is what creates the spin. Irl where you strike the ball ends up effecting distance and height more. That is one of the reasons flop shots hit with little to no back spin in spite of how low you hit the ball.

# 58 Zalf @ 01/27/12 04:59 PM
Quote:
Some potentially good news from one of the devs who posted on the EA site regarding carnival pins after a bit of prodding from me in a thread as to why there has been no confirmation about pin improvement.

"I shall finally give you a response to this.....

Every pin location on every course in the game has been moved to a new location. Whether or not you deem any of these new locations "carnival pins" is a matter of opinion. I personally believe that the new locations are both fair and challenging. I'm not promising that there won't be a pin out there that you don't like. We still strive to provide a challenge with some of our harder settings. Just rest assured that there is no pin actually on a cliff (maybe sometimes a few feet from the edge of one, but not actually on the steep slope) and that proper putting areas were used for all locations."

Hopefully when he says a few feet he doesn't mean a few inches.

Now if I can somehow get him to comment on playoff holes then I can tick off another box from my wishlist.
Potentially is correct. I almost prefer the ominous lack of comment to what sounds a lot like "I have no idea what exactly you are talking about but we moved all of the pins. I am assuming all includes the two or three pins you are referring to and won't create any more of what you are cryptically calling carnival pins out of the hundreds of pins that were fine where they were. But neither I nor anyone I know about checked for carnival pins or will even admit to knowing what they are despite all of the posts about them. If I knew or accidentily learn what they are, then they are obviously working as intended to make the game challenging. Now kindly stop looking at the man behind the curtain since I have given you the patented not-an-answer answer."

Before I was happily ignorant hoping that at minimum an explanation of what carnival pins were had made it to someone who could do something about it. Now I have to sit here banging my head against the wall. It is hard to "rest assured" with these kinds of answers.

# 59 Zalf @ 01/27/12 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalf
Potentially is correct. I almost prefer the ominous lack of comment to what sounds a lot like "I have no idea what exactly you are talking about but we moved all of the pins. I am assuming all includes the two or three pins you are referring to and won't create any more of what you are cryptically calling carnival pins out of the hundreds of pins that were fine where they were. But neither I nor anyone I know about checked for carnival pins or will even admit to knowing what they are despite all of the posts about them. If I knew or accidentily learn what they are, then they are obviously working as intended to make the game challenging. Now kindly stop looking at the man behind the curtain since I have given you the patented not-an-answer answer."

Before I was happily ignorant hoping that at minimum an explanation of what carnival pins were had made it to someone who could do something about it. Now I have to sit here
banging my head against the wall. It is hard to "rest assured" with these kinds of answers.
I searched to find which dev gave that answer. I think I feel better now knowing that it was Handsward. He knows what carnival pins are and when they stop just being a matter of opinion. Coming from him the response is probably just some CYA so if some carnival pins end up showing up no one can nail him for promising they were fixed. Now I can just hope he was involved enough with this part of the game to have a good feel. Sounds like he was.

# 60 orthostud23 @ 01/27/12 07:33 PM
I watched the 2 videos that were up and didn't see anything ground breaking. I still see that you cant move your golfer on the tee box. HOW can they not program this in??? Is there a reason that they rarely show game play from the more difficult settings??

I agree with the comments on the chipping and putting especially. The long back swings and follow through are awful to look at. If you are going to make a golf game then you have to nail some little things down.

Have they mentioned anything about having to "qualify" to get into some tourneys?? So first year on the Tour I shouldn't just automatically qualify for the US Open or Masters unless I have met the requirements.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.