Home
News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Heroesandvillains @ 01/11/12 03:55 PM
Great stuff here. Especially the new broadcast cuts.

Though I intend on using Pulse pitching day one, I've got to agree with the masses here. The graphic isn't a beauty queen. Pared and EnigmaNemesis' suggestions are wonderful. Just light tweaks that would make a world of difference. Good ideas fellas.

As far as the ball seeming to jump off the bat a bit faster; and I kind of already touched on this is the Gameplay questions thread, I've got to say that I'm curious about overall offense (specifically BABIP).

Last year's game was by far the best in this category in the entire series. But, with a slower pitch speed, slower fielders, lesser fielder reaction and arm strength, and seemingly faster moving baseballs, I wonder if SCEA had to counter program the gameplay to compensate for BABIP?

Anyway, just thinking out loud here. I love what I'm seeing! Off to watch the video for the third time!

# 82 Pared @ 01/11/12 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I would be up for that. Actually staring at that pulsating circle gives you a little anxiety, lol.
You bastards... everyone was too busy playing while I was fighting for stuff like this.

Where was this a few months ago!!!

#occupypulsepitching

# 83 Blzer @ 01/11/12 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
Great stuff here. Especially the new broadcast cuts.

Though I intend on using Pulse pitching day one, I've got to agree with the masses here. The graphic isn't a beauty queen. Pared and EnigmaNemesis' suggestions are wonderful. Just light tweaks that would make a world of difference. Good ideas fellas.

As far as the ball seeming to jump off the bat a bit faster; and I kind of already touched on this is the Gameplay questions thread, I've got to say that I'm curious about overall offense (specifically BABIP).

Last year's game was by far the best in this category in the entire series. But, with a slower pitch speed, slower fielders, lesser fielder reaction and arm strength, and seemingly faster moving baseballs, I wonder if SCEA had to counter program the gameplay to compensate for BABIP?

Anyway, just thinking out loud here. I love what I'm seeing! Off to watch the video for the third time!
I think, of their ball physics rewrites, they've induced more air drag/resistance to the flight of the ball. If not that, it definitely takes slower hops on the grass. No confirmation yet on whether it takes faster hops on the dirt, though.

# 84 sydrogerdavid @ 01/11/12 04:01 PM
Catcher at 5:13. That looks EXTREMELY painful.

# 85 nemesis04 @ 01/11/12 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
You bastards... everyone was too busy playing while I was fighting for stuff like this.

Where was this a few months ago!!!

#occupypulsepitching
We all have our battles!

# 86 Pared @ 01/11/12 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
We all have our battles!
... GI JOE?????

I liked the one pitch heat zone thing... I just hope it can be enabled WITHOUT the strike zone.

# 87 nomo17k @ 01/11/12 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians

I feel the "batted ball speed being faster" has been emphasized a bit more than it really needs to be, though understandable since it's one of the first things explicitly mentioned by Ramone... To me, it's more important that whatever tweaks they've done end up producing a wider hit variety, including poor hits and those solidly hit balls getting affected more by air drag, spin, etc. Those are yet to be seen.

But Howard's opposite field hit does look nice.

# 88 tnixen @ 01/11/12 04:17 PM
My early feelings on this first video are the following.

The first thing that really sticks out to me is how the ball seems to have a lot of Slice,Bounce and speed to it. I think we are going to really love the new Ball Physics. Also I can hear new ball off the bat sounds for sure. Also the crowd does seem a little more active during that mayberry tripple then it has in past games I think. As for the new stat overlays I am very happy to see the player photos removed from the batter walk up stat overlay. And I like how the overlays appear on screen its very sharp looking. And to tell you the truth I think it now looks just about perfect. I also really like the new scorebar at the top of the screen. There is only 2 things I would change for next year to make it perfect and that is instead of having it say "1 Out" replace that with 3 white dots and each one turns yellow when a out in recorded. Also having the pitchers pitch count on it would be great too. I also like the new wipe screen looks better and seems to be a little faster which is nice. I also LOVE how the new jumbotron looks at Citizens Bank Park. Sony really nailed it! They even added the distance numbers on the left field foul pole and moved the 334 a little to the right just like in real life. Also they seem to have fixed the odd looking bending of the arms when the batters swing. And yes those gloves are indeed closing now. You can see Mayberry's glove close on that ball he ran down at 3:00 into the video.

I did however notice something kind of odd. In the top of the 5th inning the chalk around Home Plate is starting to disappear and then in the bottom of the 5th inning it looks perfect again. I hope in the final build the chalk will be almost be gone by the last out of the game.

Thats about all I can say for now from this first video. I know Russell said the CES build has only like 25% of the new Presentation stuff. So like 75% is missing from this build. So I am really looking forward to seeing more of the On Screen stat displays. I hope some of the things on my wishlist made it in. Removing the photos from the batter walk up stat overlay was on my wishlist. So I guess I can remove that one

So far I like what I see!

P.S. My guess for what the "Diamond Dynasty Mode" is we can now have 9 human players per team one for each position.
So you could have 18 guys playing in the same game.

# 89 ISUSycamores @ 01/11/12 04:21 PM
The lack of vita gameplay footage makes me nervous. The show is one of the core reasons why I'm picking up a vita. I hope SCEA shows something off soon.

# 90 Mad dog 31 @ 01/11/12 04:23 PM
May be something I've never noticed before, but Bruce's hat looks like the bill is curved (bent). IF that's a new addition then . I love the small details. Players don't all keep straight bills on their hats (insert Colby Rasmus)....SCEA is awesome.

# 91 SoxFan01605 @ 01/11/12 04:23 PM
Well, I know a lot of people are a bit irked by the pulse pitching being distracting and I agree to a point, but for me at least, it's not as bad as I was expecting. I agree with Rudy that it's probably not as bad from pitcher's view. I'll definitely check it out. I'm a huge fan of their analog pitching (I still hold that it's the best done analog method I've used), but the pulse pitching might provide a good balance of randomness and user control and keep things fresh.

I also agree that an option for opacity or simply adjusting it would be nice. That would go for the new PCI as well. I would probably need to keep it on to stand a chance with zone analog hitting and it's ugly as hell IMO. I don't like how bright yellow it is and I hate the "splash" effect to simulate the weaker contact areas. It screams VIDEOGAME at me...lol (not saying the function will be arcade-like-I know better than that. I just don't like the visual). It's a minor gripe compared to all the good in the video though, so I'll get over it.

Intrigued by Diamond Dynasty (though I hope to God it's not a card game like someone postulated) and as for True Broadcast, it looked good in the bit we saw, but the best news (to me) was that we'll see more franchise specific OSDs and hear more specific commentary. Looking good!

# 92 nemesis04 @ 01/11/12 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUSycamores
The lack of vita gameplay footage makes me nervous. The show is one of the core reasons why I'm picking up a vita. I hope SCEA shows something off soon.
I am sure we will have plenty of exposure with it next week! Don't worry!

# 93 LastActionHero @ 01/11/12 04:34 PM
Do you guys see the controller calibration option.
Can't recall this was in previous installments of the show.
Could this mean we can finally calibrate the controller to reduce possible lag on your tv...?

# 94 bcruise @ 01/11/12 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
Could this mean we can finally calibrate the controller to reduce possible lag on your tv...?

I have a hunch that's going to be for Move and not much else, this being the first year it's been integrated into the whole game.

# 95 pay_26 @ 01/11/12 04:35 PM
in this video itīs seen is that no team logos appear in the catcher's mask

# 96 Blzer @ 01/11/12 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero

I speculated earlier that it might have had to do with how we push our analog sticks upward unnaturally to go straight forward with things like pitching and hitting, but I totally forgot about the Move motion controls, which is probably what it has more to do with (and two posters thankfully chimed in about).

Although, wouldn't it be "locked" if that were the case? It seems like if there is an option that you are not currently using, like 3D mode, music mode, or pitching camera options while hitting, that they don't even allow you to fine tune anything with it by putting a lock icon next to it.

By the way, as long as they show baserunner attributes in the pause menu when there are runners on, that will be the most amount of information anyone will need.

# 97 nomo17k @ 01/11/12 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I speculated earlier that it might have had to do with how we push our analog sticks upward unnaturally to go straight forward with things like pitching and hitting, but I totally forgot about the Move motion controls, which is probably what it has more to do with (and two posters thankfully chimed in about).

Although, wouldn't it be "locked" if that were the case? It seems like if there is an option that you are not currently using, like 3D mode, music mode, or pitching camera options while hitting, that they don't even allow you to fine tune anything with it by putting a lock icon next to it.
I actually made a suggestion about calibrating analog stick (so that we can calibrate it the way you described) a couple times the feedback threads were open (because I'm always struggling to move R3 up to top left...), so I wouldn't be surprised if the devs add that as an option. But with Move, the menu option certainly needs to be there.

# 98 Pared @ 01/11/12 04:40 PM
They were showing the Move controls at CES.

Just a heads up.

# 99 GWPump23 @ 01/11/12 04:42 PM

# 100 bcruise @ 01/11/12 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

It wouldn't really surprise me if the Move camera is plugged in/Move is turned on the entire time at CES, which would explain the calibration option being enabled during normal controller play.

Also, even if you went into the menu with a controller it'd probably just say something like "Please turn on the Move controller to calibrate" or something like that.

All speculation, of course, it isn't impossible that it could be for calibrating the analog sticks for the pitching/throwing aspect of the game. I just think the Move is the much more likely reason for it being there.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.