Home
News Post

In a particularly grizzly report, the NPD group reported that total video game sales slid 21% in December with software sales sliding 14% for the month. This is particularly bad news since December happens to be the height of the shopping season in America and weak sales indicate the industry has taken a step backwards this season. For the entire year, software sales were down 6% compared to 2010, which was a modest drop.

In other related news, Madden NFL 12 appeared amongst the Top 10 selling games of the year. That is a ranking Madden has held onto firmly for several years now.

Member Comments
# 1 BaylorBearBryant @ 01/17/12 08:01 PM
People are tired of putting up with sports games that don't innovate. I think this is evidence that a yearly release cycle tends to handcuff the quality of games.

Might also have something to do with the lack of bug testing and post-release support. Other than NHL12 (EASHL), I have no need to buy a sports game at launch until I see how things go.

# 2 PackerBacker123 @ 01/17/12 08:38 PM
BaylorBearBryant, I completely agree, if sports games do not innovate then their sales will fall even more.

# 3 gigadkc @ 01/18/12 08:37 AM
I can see why. Only Fifa and Football Manager really convinced me this year and made good improvements. Other games basically don't have any innovating features and you couldn't really say if you're playing the '08 or '11 version in most games because there aren't much if any noticeable differences.

# 4 Mos1ted @ 01/18/12 11:33 AM
With services such as Game Fly and Blockbuster Combo Pass, there really isn't much incentive to buy games anymore. The vast majority of games lack re-playability in my opinion. Even online gets repetitive for some games. Like others have mentioned, games just aren't innovating anymore. Everyone is just following the same formula, hoping to replicate the success of the titles that came before it. That's what happens when you have big business putting the bottomline over a quality product.

# 5 matt8204 @ 01/19/12 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos1ted
With services such as Game Fly and Blockbuster Combo Pass, there really isn't much incentive to buy games anymore. The vast majority of games lack re-playability in my opinion. Even online gets repetitive for some games. Like others have mentioned, games just aren't innovating anymore. Everyone is just following the same formula, hoping to replicate the success of the titles that came before it. That's what happens when you have big business putting the bottomline over a quality product.
Is it possible that we're seeing a law of diminishing returns in gaming? Have we hit a point where this is about as good as it will get?

# 6 mestevo @ 01/19/12 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorBearBryant
People are tired of putting up with sports games that don't innovate. I think this is evidence that a yearly release cycle tends to handcuff the quality of games.

Might also have something to do with the lack of bug testing and post-release support. Other than NHL12 (EASHL), I have no need to buy a sports game at launch until I see how things go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerBacker123
BaylorBearBryant, I completely agree, if sports games do not innovate then their sales will fall even more.
What makes you assume sports games are down, when the OP is about the gaming industry as a whole?

Gamasutra lays the fault for this squarely on Nintendo's collapse in the market, as the Wii and DS bubbles burst, in addition to one of the best Novembers ever. MS enjoyed growth for the year and the PS3 just barely managed to grow a little bit YOY as well. This couldn't compete with the DS down 50% and the Wii down 40% in a trend that started a couple of years ago dragging down overall figures.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3...rs_of_2011.php

# 7 jeremym480 @ 01/19/12 05:25 PM
Most of the stellar titles were released in October and November. Also consoles had a record day on Black Friday. I'd say that's the biggest reason for a slow December.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.