Home
MLB 2K12 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K12 Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 12 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Money99 @ 01/23/12 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Oh I agree with you, money. But hindsight is 20/20.

My problem is what about the year in development they had with the title from last year to now? I know the team is small... but I still expect more from them given the talent I know they have.
I understand what you're saying. I blame Take-Two though, not VC. I used to think TT was this small little mom-and-pop shop, but then you see the games in their stable; GTA, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock, etc.
Those 3 games alone bring in millions for TT.
But unlike other companies like EA, they refuse to spend money in order to grab market share.
There's no reason why the MLB team can't have more resources to use.
For Xbox owners like me, we don't have much of a choice and in that regard, maybe I give them more slack because I don't have an alternative.
I'm happy with the way this game is shaping up. But you're right, there could be more done.
I guess we'll see how the core gameplay feels. If it's really solid, I can forgive them for some of the other stuff they didn't touch as much. Especially if their My Player is really deep.

# 82 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/23/12 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I understand what you're saying. I blame Take-Two though, not VC. I used to think TT was this small little mom-and-pop shop, but then you see the games in their stable; GTA, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock, etc.
Those 3 games alone bring in millions for TT.
But unlike other companies like EA, they refuse to spend money in order to grab market share.
There's no reason why the MLB team can't have more resources to use.
For Xbox owners like me, we don't have much of a choice and in that regard, maybe I give them more slack because I don't have an alternative.
I'm happy with the way this game is shaping up. But you're right, there could be more done.
I guess we'll see how the core gameplay feels. If it's really solid, I can forgive them for some of the other stuff they didn't touch as much. Especially if their My Player is really deep.
I always wondered what could have been if VC would have been brought by Microsoft once SEGA got out of the sports gaming business.

I still hope TT either allows VC to walk, or sells them off to another publisher because TT really doesn't want to be in the sports gaming business IMHO

Sent from Awesome Phone

# 83 Pared @ 01/23/12 03:51 PM
I hear ya. Blame aside - I just want a good game. When a developer seems to be mailing it in, it bothers me. I fully understand the politics they have to deal with (trust me) but I guess I have such an enjoyment for doing this that I can't understand why you wouldn't have a little more pride in what you put out. Again though - their resources are limited so there's only so much you can do. As a gamer I can't help to say, "but still..."

Who knows - maybe 10+ years in the industry would do that to you?

# 84 queensbomber @ 01/23/12 04:58 PM
I agree with pared in that I too just want a good game and they just werent given the budget to expand on the progress they made in 2k10, 11.

I hope this isnt the last in the series but the last under the Take Two, 2K name.
Hopefully some other company picks them and up and keep rebuilding.
Maybe EA will pick them up and bring the ben brinkman team back that made MVP great and helped the 2K series look better, that is until 2K8.
This series has had great innovations as far as gameplay, I dont see it going down the tubes when theyve perfected their pitching system.

# 85 SoxFan01605 @ 01/23/12 05:42 PM
Quote:
I hear ya. Blame aside - I just want a good game. When a developer seems to be mailing it in, it bothers me. I fully understand the politics they have to deal with (trust me) but I guess I have such an enjoyment for doing this that I can't understand why you wouldn't have a little more pride in what you put out. Again though - their resources are limited so there's only so much you can do. As a gamer I can't help to say, "but still..."

Who knows - maybe 10+ years in the industry would do that to you?
I tend to see it as poor focus and execution over the years leaving them in a "no-win" situation to end their licensure rather than mailing it in. I could be wrong, of course, and it's also not to say that it being a planning or prioritization issue makes the end result any better (nor is it to say that the corner they're in now is anyone's fault but their own), but my point is there isn't much to suggest the developers' mindset one way or the other.

I know people will tend to read the worst in the little bit of info we have thus far, but I actually take the focus on core aspects and "little things" as potentially positive. Again though, with 2K baseball it always comes down to execution...so we'll see.

# 86 Pared @ 01/24/12 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnian19
Either way these people putting crap on the game when they barely seen any gameplay will end up buying it
This may be true with games that actually sell well. This series has had declining sales since 2k7 despite their acquisition of the exclusive 3rd party license.

Many of us are looking for some innovation and competition in a genre that is becoming dominated by a first party title. This is very bad news for 360 owners, because that means they can possibly be left with out a baseball title next year if this continues.

And you know what? That's bad for baseball overall.

# 87 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/24/12 10:50 AM
Quote:
This may be true with games that actually sell well. This series has had declining sales since 2k7 despite their acquisition of the exclusive 3rd party license.

Many of us are looking for some innovation and competition in a genre that is becoming dominated by a first party title. This is very bad news for 360 owners, because that means they can possibly be left with out a baseball title next year if this continues.

And you know what? That's bad for baseball overall.
Totally agree with you Pared.

? are you saying / thinking there's a real possibility of the MLB going exclusive with the license.

Sent from Awesome Phone

# 88 Pared @ 01/24/12 11:02 AM
No - I just think T2 is going to see a game barely selling, barely competing and they will just close up shop on baseball titles in the future.

This would leave 360 owners with nothing to purchase unless EA jumped back into the fray... and many of the individuals that made that series great are gone. Trey Smith is the only guy still around that I know of.

# 89 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/24/12 11:12 AM
Quote:
No - I just think T2 is going to see a game barely selling, barely competing and they will just close up shop on baseball titles in the future.

This would leave 360 owners with nothing to purchase unless EA jumped back into the fray... and many of the individuals that made that series great are gone. Trey Smith is the only guy still around that I know of.
That's true. EA does have have some guy named Kolbe who joined them

Sent from Awesome Phone

# 90 Pared @ 01/24/12 11:13 AM
They can do that but that's a horrible situation for the MLB to be in. As we know, EA can easily decide not to release a game like they did with NBA and NCAA. Despite the fact that they took a chance with MVP NCAA, I don't see it as easy an opportunity for them when most of the original team is gone or working on other games (FIFA/NHL).

I doubt the MLB would ever give an exclusive to San Diego Studios unless they were multi-platform, which we all know wouldn't happen.

It's just an all around bad situation for MLB and us as gamers. We have no idea what drastic move MLB would do just to keep themselves relevant - we've seen what they've done in the past and I don't think they have learned from that mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
That's true. EA does have have some guy named Kolbe who joined them

Sent from Awesome Phone
Kolbe's on the Madden team in FL. He's not going anywhere soon. The MVP team was in Canada.

# 91 tvman @ 01/24/12 11:28 AM
Ea could release mvp05 renamed mvp12 and sell more than 2k is going to sell this year.

# 92 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/24/12 11:36 AM
Quote:

Kolbe's on the Madden team in FL. He's not going anywhere soon. The MVP team was in Canada.
Though MVP was developed by EA Canada, that team no longer exist. So if EA jumped back in, Kolbe may be the perfect guy to resurrect the franchise.

I'm not a big EA/MVP fan, but I have a lot of respect for Kolbe & what he did when he worked with Sony San Diego

# 93 mkharsh33 @ 01/24/12 04:54 PM
The guys at EA Mods kept that game alive for years, and did a magnificent job... But playing that game on the old xbox got stale over time...

I really enjoyed 2K11. As someone who doesn't own a PS3, nor will I, 2K11 is the only option I had. And it was a good game.....

I guess I get frustrated when I visit this arm of OS and find comparisons made to The Show or MVP Baseball. Since those are not options for 360 only owners, I'm not sure how those comments are helpful or necessary. I'm sure I'll get some barbs thrown my way for saying this, but let me clarify:

I NEVER visit the "other" baseball forum. I have no need or reason to....

# 94 Pared @ 01/24/12 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnian19
wow i never played it but im watching some gameplay of it on youtube
looks like a good game..maybe some updated graphics and commentary and its perfect
This doesn't belong here. If you're interested in discussing this game, there's a forum for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
There's a double standard here at OS for sure. But I worked in a political environment for twenty years, and I understand that's just the way the world operates.
Please spare everyone the forum politics and propaganda. This doesn't do anything to add to the discussion.

# 95 SoxFan01605 @ 01/24/12 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
How can putting out broken games for all but last year be considered a "no-win" situation? That's more of a "we lost out to ourselves" thing.
lol...are we really nitpicking the terminology here? Jokes aside, you're talking about cause, I mentioned an effect. Either way though, you calling it a "we lost to ourselves thing" is still saying they lose.

They have an exclusive license that essentially demands they put out a title each year. Their history with that license is extremely poor. No matter what they do, it is called into question because there is no trust in their product. Most people feel that a tuned up or tweaked version of 2K11 is about the best you can expect from them given that schedule on this current crop of systems unless they rip the game apart and start over. People are fed up and many look at a 2K baseball game as a failure before it launches or there's even real info (don't believe me, just re-read this thread alone-even usually discerning posters fall into the habit).

That's what I mean by no-win. That's not to say it isn't self-inflicted (In fact, I believe I did say it was), just they can't recover much for their last year of licensure no matter what they do. 2K11 is a decent game that can play great baseball overall with some work. It is just buggy as hell and has lingering issues that people can't look past. For comparison's sake, it's similar to Madden in that sense, where the exclusivity coupled with a lack of success with it have made anything 2K puts out picked apart.

The difference being that Madden still has a decent casual video game following (2K never built the kind of following Madden had before hand), is the only new NFL game at all, and NFL is the most popular sport in America, so it still sells well overall. The other difference is, people following this game have a competitor they can look at and wonder "why not 2K..." (fair or not, it's there).

# 96 Knight165 @ 01/24/12 06:47 PM
Quote:
Though MVP was developed by EA Canada, that team no longer exist. So if EA jumped back in, Kolbe may be the perfect guy to resurrect the franchise.

I'm not a big EA/MVP fan, but I have a lot of respect for Kolbe & what he did when he worked with Sony San Diego
But I'll give you a little inside info....
There is a reason Kolbe no longer develops BASEBALL for SCEA. He enjoyed his FOURTEEN years of developing it.
(the rest is up to you to figure out!....)

M.K.
Knight165

# 97 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/24/12 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
But I'll give you a little inside info....
There is a reason Kolbe no longer develops BASEBALL for SCEA. He enjoyed his FOURTEEN years of developing it.
(the rest is up to you to figure out!....)

M.K.
Knight165
Thanks...

# 98 Knight165 @ 01/24/12 07:02 PM
Quote:
Thanks...

Hahaha!!!
Which one is me though?!!!

M.K.
Knight165

# 99 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/24/12 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Hahaha!!!
Which one is me though?!!!

M.K.
Knight165
Here's a hint...

I ain't the-1 with the funny wig & Red Nose

# 100 mkharsh33 @ 01/24/12 09:11 PM
Is part of the problem a lack of overall interest in baseball video games?? Too slow of a game for kids to play, which is still a prime market for Madden?

I know from posting rosters on 2K Share... The number of NBA rosters downloaded is a LOT LOT more than MLB rosters, and I believe my latest file had the most downloads. I also believe I've read where african american interest in baseball (at least those who play) is at its lowest # in years, maybe all-time....

I don't think it's just the video game, but the game of baseball itself. In my backyard, the Tampa Bay Rays are really struggling... The mayor of St. Pete is spinning his wheels trying to figure out how to attract people to attend games. I fear this title may go by the wayside, and then some crap company picks up the title and we're back to stage 1 and a game that's a joke for many years.....

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.