Home
MLB 2K12 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K12 Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 12 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 mkharsh33 @ 01/24/12 09:21 PM
not a theory, just a question...

like i said, i don't follow The Show because I don't own a Ps3 - couldn't tell you anything about the game if I had to.

But I have a hard time understanding why NFL 2K5 and NBA 2K series do so well, but this game struggles. Even people (some) like 2K's hockey title over the current EA NHL series... something is amiss...

# 102 tvman @ 01/25/12 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
not a theory, just a question...

like i said, i don't follow The Show because I don't own a Ps3 - couldn't tell you anything about the game if I had to.

But I have a hard time understanding why NFL 2K5 and NBA 2K series do so well, but this game struggles. Even people (some) like 2K's hockey title over the current EA NHL series... something is amiss...
The reason is simple NFL2K5 and the NBA2K series have both been excellent games while the MLB 2K series has basically been dog crap the past number of years.

While MLB2K11 improved dramatically from previous years all those previous bad games have done irreparable damage to the series.

# 103 Pared @ 01/25/12 09:26 AM
Quote:
Is part of the problem a lack of overall interest in baseball video games?? Too slow of a game for kids to play, which is still a prime market for Madden?

I know from posting rosters on 2K Share... The number of NBA rosters downloaded is a LOT LOT more than MLB rosters, and I believe my latest file had the most downloads. I also believe I've read where african american interest in baseball (at least those who play) is at its lowest # in years, maybe all-time....

I don't think it's just the video game, but the game of baseball itself. In my backyard, the Tampa Bay Rays are really struggling... The mayor of St. Pete is spinning his wheels trying to figure out how to attract people to attend games. I fear this title may go by the wayside, and then some crap company picks up the title and we're back to stage 1 and a game that's a joke for many years.....
Sales were down overall across most games last year. Baseball suffered as well.

This sport doesn't traditionally sell well compared to the NFL and NBA. I would say T2 has done a great job growing the market the past few years despite its lack of competition, thanks to the inclusion and focus on stars of the past.

MLB 2k has just been a poorly received ever since 2k8/2k9. 2k7 was probably its highest point and it has been downhill ever since. I would attribute this to two things:

1) Poor focus and execution. This title has had gut a majority of its own code thanks to changing developers I believe three times in this same time span.

2) Increased competition by a first party exclusive developer that continues to raise the bar every year. The title has actually become a system seller.

I have my ear to the ground on a number of developers and what is going on in the industry. This title just seems as if it is being released just to meet their agreement and there is a huge disinterest in marketing and advertising to push this game. I just feel you won't see much different than last year's title beside a few refinements and possible carry-overs from the NBA series. IMHO, that's not what it is going to take to get people excited about this game again.

# 104 queensbomber @ 01/25/12 09:45 AM
One huge problem I had with the last couple of 2K games is their fielding camera when up at bat. I hate it! I rather have the camera capture the action from up above rather than from the umpires POV. Wish theyd change that.

# 105 Ollienyy @ 01/25/12 12:15 PM
I totally agree with Pared, the game at times has felt phoned in.

But I also find it disappointing that other 'better' Game Franchises, despite having the time to work on it, haven't improved on areas that are lacking, aka commentary, certain animations etc. This isn't just one franchise, this is many across the board.

2K has not treated this game with the respect it deserves, but really, no other game franchise is 'perfect'

# 106 Hajmyis @ 01/27/12 01:35 PM
Quote:
Is part of the problem a lack of overall interest in baseball video games?? Too slow of a game for kids to play, which is still a prime market for Madden?

I know from posting rosters on 2K Share... The number of NBA rosters downloaded is a LOT LOT more than MLB rosters, and I believe my latest file had the most downloads. I also believe I've read where african american interest in baseball (at least those who play) is at its lowest # in years, maybe all-time....

I don't think it's just the video game, but the game of baseball itself. In my backyard, the Tampa Bay Rays are really struggling... The mayor of St. Pete is spinning his wheels trying to figure out how to attract people to attend games. I fear this title may go by the wayside, and then some crap company picks up the title and we're back to stage 1 and a game that's a joke for many years.....
You right when you talk about lack of intrest in baseball games, look at the numbers.

MLB 2k11 sold 890,000 copies on all paltfroms

The SHow sold 690,000 on all play station platforms.

By contrast NBA 2k12 sold 3.06 million and Madden sold 4.8 million copies.

# 107 mkharsh33 @ 01/27/12 02:06 PM
Those numbers don't lie... Ranking the major sports, the NFL is king. I truly believe interest in baseball is dwindling with the "younger" crowd. Some may disagree, but it's no longer "America's Past-time" like it once was...

# 108 pistolpete @ 01/27/12 02:20 PM
I'll probably be sticking to 2k11. Even the golf course interview is a turn off.

# 109 Hajmyis @ 01/27/12 02:49 PM
I main point about posting the numbers, was show that because of poor sales and having a yearly game cycle, funding for baseball games makes it hard to delevop a solid bug free game. They have to make small improvements over time.

IMO don't give a million for a perfect game and use that million to spend creating and delevoping the game.

# 110 pistolpete @ 01/27/12 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnian19
on nba it can take 20-30mins
How is this possible with 10,11 or 12 minute quarters?

# 111 pistolpete @ 01/27/12 03:06 PM
Quote:
12 mins..
one game takes me 25-30mins
Is there an accelerated clock option I am missing?

# 112 econoodle @ 01/27/12 03:21 PM
Quote:
Those numbers don't lie... Ranking the major sports, the NFL is king. I truly believe interest in baseball is dwindling with the "younger" crowd. Some may disagree, but it's no longer "America's Past-time" like it once was...
yep.
some will argue, but they are dead wrong.

baseball has been and will continue on a decline.

# 113 econoodle @ 01/27/12 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete
I'll probably be sticking to 2k11. Even the golf course interview is a turn off.

haha, that was pretty beat, doing a interview in that setting.
ugh.

as far as 2k11, i STILL play it. it was my game of choice last year, and i own a ps3! lol

once i see the improvements to franchise mode [which is the best ever in a baseball game], that will decide whether i buy or not.
As usual i can only rock one bball game and this as of today is leading, even with minimal info out there.

new added commentary and the best franchise menu interface in the history of sports gaming is just icing on the cake.

# 114 pistolpete @ 01/27/12 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
haha, that was pretty beat, doing a interview in that setting.
ugh.

as far as 2k11, i STILL play it. it was my game of choice last year, and i own a ps3! lol

once i see the improvements to franchise mode [which is the best ever in a baseball game], that will decide whether i buy or not.
As usual i can only rock one bball game and this as of today is leading, even with minimal info out there.

new added commentary and the best franchise menu interface in the history of sports gaming is just icing on the cake.
I also have a ps3, the other game is just too hard for me.

You think 2k11's franchise mode is the best ever in a baseball game?
You think 2k11's franchise menu is the best ever in a baseball game?

# 115 Money99 @ 01/27/12 03:43 PM
Quote:

I've seen similar numbers regarding interest in baseball going down.
Registration is down across the US. I think in today's age of ADD, OCD, ADHD, NintendoDS, most kids today find it boring. Too much standing around, not enough physical contact, not as cool as football or basketball or even hockey, maybe even too hard.

I'd love to know why the numbers are down with African-American's. I don't think there's a shortage of super-star players for young black kids to look up to.

I didn't mean to take this thread offroad, but this I'm very interested in this topic.
But maybe it helps explain why baseball games sell only slightly better than hockey games.
Back in the day, even a Canadian like me couldn't wait to get my hands on the latest baseball game.
Baseball Simulator 2000 was the poop man!

# 116 econoodle @ 01/27/12 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete
I also have a ps3, the other game is just too hard for me.

You think 2k11's franchise mode is the best ever in a baseball game?
You think 2k11's franchise menu is the best ever in a baseball game?
yes.
all things considered.
and those things that matter most to me.
for you and others, maybe not so much.

but between the outstanding franchise home page, with headlines, around the league news and being able to quickly bounce around between teams and players stats at the touch of a button [other games make it a chore] and down to cool things like trends, rehab assignments, season specific commentary and overlays [holiday style overlays!?] and recent game player stats during the season in the player card, this baby rocks!

my other faves?
mvp 05 and all star 2005

but mvps total lack of presentation elements in game and ASBs horrific menus and navigation dropped them down.

for me, 2k11 did everything for me.
just need that AI and glitches fixed, but thats gameplay.

# 117 pistolpete @ 01/27/12 04:31 PM
I guess I haven't gotten that deep into it. The wife is going out tonight, so I expect a 2k11 bender.

# 118 pistolpete @ 01/27/12 04:44 PM
Quote:
no either you go overtime or frankly you can't count
4 quarters * 12 mins / quarter = 48 minutes. I double checked and my units cancel too.

If you've managed to bend time perhaps you should be doing something other than playing video games.

# 119 Pared @ 01/27/12 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajmyis
I main point about posting the numbers, was show that because of poor sales and having a yearly game cycle, funding for baseball games makes it hard to delevop a solid bug free game. They have to make small improvements over time.

IMO don't give a million for a perfect game and use that million to spend creating and delevoping the game.
Doesn't work that way - that's not how sponsorship works.

# 120 mkharsh33 @ 01/27/12 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I've seen similar numbers regarding interest in baseball going down.
Registration is down across the US. I think in today's age of ADD, OCD, ADHD, NintendoDS, most kids today find it boring. Too much standing around, not enough physical contact, not as cool as football or basketball or even hockey, maybe even too hard.

I'd love to know why the numbers are down with African-American's. I don't think there's a shortage of super-star players for young black kids to look up to.

I didn't mean to take this thread offroad, but this I'm very interested in this topic.
But maybe it helps explain why baseball games sell only slightly better than hockey games.
Back in the day, even a Canadian like me couldn't wait to get my hands on the latest baseball game.
Baseball Simulator 2000 was the poop man!
I can't find it, but CC Sabathia gave an interview this past year where he spoke of his concern about this. He's trying to be an ambassador with the NY inner city youth...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.