Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

It seems there are still plenty of gamers out there, playing NBA 2K11, according to a recent article from Kotaku's Owen Good.

Quote:
At first blush it doesn't seem to stand out: NBA 2K11 cracked the top 20 of most played titles on the Xbox 360 for the week of Jan. 16. But when you peel it back, that's actually quite astonishing, to see an old version of a sports video game resurface more than 15 months after its release.

This is not unprecedented. EA Sports' FIFA series routinely places its two most current editions in the Xbox Live top 20, especially around the time the new version is releasing. (FIFA 11 and FIFA 12 were top 20 from 12's Sept. 27 release to the end of the year.) FIFA's global popularity certainly explains its longevity here. Madden, EA Sports' long-running powerhouse, also does a double-dip in its release window, though it drops off more quickly.

But a look back suggests that when the old version leaves the top 20, it usually doesn't come back. Certainly not after a three-month layoff.

Source - A Puzzling Resurgence in Popularity for NBA 2K11 (Kotaku)

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 OGKing @ 01/26/12 08:38 PM
I could use me some 2k11. The gameplay was so fluid.

# 2 ksuttonjr76 @ 01/26/12 09:07 PM
Compared to NBA 2K12, NBA 2K11 was the truth of video game basketball.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

# 3 cdg0219 @ 01/26/12 09:30 PM
If 2K11 is so much better (I think it's slightly better), why did it ever drop off in popularity? Did people just sell 2K11 because they believe sequels are ALWAYS better?

# 4 nogster @ 01/26/12 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdg0219
If 2K11 is so much better (I think it's slightly better), why did it ever drop off in popularity? Did people just sell 2K11 because they believe sequels are ALWAYS better?
"puts hands up".

I foolishly traded in 2k11 for 2k12.

I regret it, as I cant bring myself to play 2k12 anymore.

# 5 ksuttonjr76 @ 01/26/12 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdg0219
Blind devotion, perhaps? Isn't that the standard procedure for sports games? Sell the old to get the new, or am I the minority? I'm not going to lie. I know that I bought back NBA 2K11 after playing NBA 2K12. That was the first time that I EVER bought the previous year's version.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

# 6 NINJAK2 @ 01/26/12 10:23 PM
Because of the Jordan Challenge alone I held on to 2k11. Very cool and unique. I always trade in the previous 2k for the next but this is the 1st time I did not.

# 7 mustardnmayo @ 01/26/12 10:30 PM
People on my PSN list that own 2k12, I see playing 2k11 more as of late.

Im glad I still own 2k11, I play it from time to time and enjoy it so much more on the court, but since 2k12 association mode has some improvements to some things I didnt like in 2k11 I cant go back and I already went very deep in that game.

Im just trying to look past the gameplay issues I have with with 2k12(no paint defense, PGs busting amazing post moves after they pick up their dribble to score in the paint over big guys cuz they are slid out the way, CPU having better success shooting buzzer beaters with hands in their face than regular shots, horrible fast breaks, being my main ones) and enjoy it the best I could.

This is the least fun Ive had with a NBA 2K release since Ive been buying it annually and probably wont be playing it until the next release for the 1st time ever.

# 8 XenoZograscope @ 01/26/12 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardnmayo
People on my PSN list that own 2k12, I see playing 2k11 more as of late.

Im glad I still own 2k11, I play it from time to time and enjoy it so much more on the court, but since 2k12 association mode has some improvements to some things I didnt like in 2k11 I cant go back and I already went very deep in that game.

Im just trying to look past the gameplay issues I have with with 2k12(no paint defense, PGs busting amazing post moves after they pick up their dribble to score in the paint over big guys cuz they are slid out the way, CPU having better success shooting buzzer beaters with hands in their face than regular shots, horrible fast breaks, being my main ones) and enjoy it the best I could.

This is the least fun Ive had with a NBA 2K release since Ive been buying it annually and probably wont be playing it until the next release for the 1st time ever.
Same way on my PSN list as well, the majority of them have been playing 2K11 nonstop, I rarely see them play 2K12.

# 9 nova91 @ 01/26/12 11:46 PM
I had to buy 2k12, I missed 6 months of playing 2k11 due to basic training and whatnot, I played a few games after the last patch and liked the way game played but I had missed so much time I couldn't get back into the game the way I had been. I assumed that 2k would build on the progress they had made on 2k11 from release in 2k12 while adding some features, boy was I wrong. I keep playing 2k12 because like basketball and it has features that 2k11 doesn't but the gameplay is lacking.

# 10 lockdownD @ 01/26/12 11:49 PM
I traded in 2k11 before 2k12 came out thinking that 2k12 would be an improved 2k11. Boy was I wrong!

I try to play 2k12 every once in awhile, but whenever I play it I am always left being very frustrated at how sloppy the gameplay is. I re-purchased 2k11 last month and am having fun once again with the gameplay - playing crew, teamup, and the jordan challenges.

Some of the things I can't stand in 2k12:

2k12 gameplay feels like your instead playing ice hockey sliding all over the place, it doesn't feel like you have as much control over your guys movement. When you try moving in the opposite direction, go for blocks, set pics/charges it feels very delayed and sluggish too.

On-Ball defense got so much worse this year. With the horrible player movement and with 2k greatly reducing the force field (bumping) offensive players can slide right by you with ease.

Passing this year is way too slow. Many passes get tipped, stolen, or bobbled to much.

When your in the paint trying to make a simple layup or dunk the ball gets knocked loose, blocked, or just won't go in alot of times which gets very frustrating.

The realistic shot releases that were in 2k11 got removed and dumb downed so pretty much all the players releases now are the same. Used to be fun having to learn and master the various players shot releases.

In 2k11 you could perform so many moves with the "Y" button - step backs, hopstep, signature moves, ect. Now you have to hold down LT and go into a animation to do anything. I liked it so much better before being able to perform moves much more quickly.

The new "Live Ball" physics is frustrating and doesn't work very well at all. Passes, Blocks, Steals, and when trying to use Turbo the ball gets knocked loose or bounces off people way too much.

Not having Crew mode this year was a major disappointment.

Not being able to play with any of the Legend team with friends online this year was a disappointment too. At least in 2k11 you could play with them sometimes in team-up games. Why they didn't at least add the ability to play with the Legend teams in private team-up this year is beyond me.

# 11 eye guy @ 01/27/12 01:25 AM
2K11 needs the contact engine in 2K12....

# 12 Jrocc23 @ 01/27/12 02:27 AM
Love NBA 2K11

# 13 Goffs @ 01/27/12 06:29 AM
I still have 2k11 as I want to finish the Jordan challenges...

# 14 Jukeman @ 01/27/12 07:24 AM
Come to think of it, I could pop in NBA2k11 and wont even miss 2k12...

Lack of association upgrades isnt helping..

Sent from my HumancentiPad using Tapatalk

# 15 hoop xyience @ 01/27/12 07:27 AM
2k11
++Modes and features
++cpu AI was better imo
++ONLINE was more stable
- to many pre determine animations (spin & post spin dunk) (euro step) bunny hop under basket

2k12
++less cheese or unstoppable tactics online like 2k11
++fluid animations
++can pretty much contain cheese this year with skill
- less modes and features (no online lobbies)
- no leagues or tournaments
-this is by far the most boring offline association yet (maybe because it was copied and paced since 2k10)
-no classic online friend play
-online association is bar bone
-my player is not great to me this year

The good outweighed the bad in 2k11. 2k12 there's a really thin line between good and bad

AND THERE'S DEFENSE IN THIS GAME YOU JUST HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO PLAY IT...

IMO THIS GAME IS ALL ABOUT DEFENSE & RREBOUNDING WITH OUT IT YOU JUST WONT WIN ONLINE OR OFFLINE

# 16 Colts18 @ 01/27/12 08:37 AM
2K11 is a great game, but the playbook depth alone in 2K12 is the reason why I can't go back to it.

# 17 Goffs @ 01/27/12 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts18
2K11 is a great game, but the playbook depth alone in 2K12 is the reason why I can't go back to it.
Agreed...whenever I play 2k11 I just end up free flowing my way to victory. In 2k12 I just love calling plays and it makes it more fun for me.

# 18 The 24th Letter @ 01/27/12 09:28 AM
Its funny, I've been saying 2k11 was better all year, and it still may edge out this years game in areas....but when I popped it in, I missed 2k12 lol....I didn't realize until now how annoying 2k11s bumping was....

2k12 really did make a lot of improvements that are hard to see because of some glaring flaws...but now that I've found the right settings I really am enjoying it..

# 19 JBH3 @ 01/27/12 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
Because of the Jordan Challenge alone I held on to 2k11. Very cool and unique. I always trade in the previous 2k for the next but this is the 1st time I did not.
Still haven't finifshed that....I had to start a new association though and went with 2K12....still gog 11 though and need to finish that Jordan Challenge.

# 20 GOBLUE_08 @ 01/27/12 09:36 AM
I still play my fantasy franchise on 2k11 for ps3 pretty often. I do play play 2k12 on pc though, I dont know why but the pc version of 2k12 just seems to much a better game of basketball than the ps3 version even without patches.

I guess my point is I enjoy both, but I can see why folks are stil playing 2k11

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.